Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: 160L compressor for my vehicle

I am also looking at buying a compressor and there are some good advice here. A question on size of the compressor. I take it the main difference between a 72l and 160l is speed of inflation mainly. Reason I ask is because the 160l is a very bulky compressor and will take up a lot of space. Not really something you can just leave in the bakkie, not even the 72l, but it is smaller. So of you are not worried too much about speed, would the 72l be the better option. If the duty cycle is the same, it just means that 160l my get all your tires done whilst the 72l my need some rest. But for 4 tyres I don't see that being a concern going from 1bar to 2.2 bar.

Any suggestion/advice?

Then on a side note, would those very cheap small 12v ones for like R300 work in an emergency on a 4x4 tyre? Is it worh getting something like this and keep it in the bakkie?:
    https://autozone.co.za/autokraft-air...ht-fed-comp022

or even this foot pump. I had a look at it and is very small. Could fit under the seat
    https://autozone.co.za/autokraft-twi...ump-fed-vtp606

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jroux View Post
    I am also looking at buying a compressor and there are some good advice here. A question on size of the compressor. I take it the main difference between a 72l and 160l is speed of inflation mainly. Reason I ask is because the 160l is a very bulky compressor and will take up a lot of space. Not really something you can just leave in the bakkie, not even the 72l, but it is smaller. So of you are not worried too much about speed, would the 72l be the better option. If the duty cycle is the same, it just means that 160l my get all your tires done whilst the 72l my need some rest. But for 4 tyres I don't see that being a concern going from 1bar to 2.2 bar.

Any suggestion/advice?

Then on a side note, would those very cheap small 12v ones for like R300 work in an emergency on a 4x4 tyre? Is it worh getting something like this and keep it in the bakkie?:

or even this foot pump. I had a look at it and is very small. Could fit under the seat

Thanks
    How will you power the compressor without 220v
    Range Rover Sport SC 4.2 V8 ( FATBOY )
    Disco1 V8 ( LAZYBOY )
    Austin Mini 1380cc ( Finiky )

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy View Post
    Most compressors referred to in offroading work off 12v

Advertising 160 l and delivering it up to when the tire reaches 2.2 bar, is not always the same.
    Rather get a proper 60 l than a cheap 160l. Or then something like this https://4x4direct.co.za/recovery-gea...515583583.html
    And you will struggle with that foot pump in the sand

5. The Following User Says Thank You to hatjohan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hatjohan View Post
    Advertising 160 l and delivering it up to when the tire reaches 2.2 bar, is not always the same.
    Rather get a proper 60 l than a cheap 160l. Or then something like this https://4x4direct.co.za/recovery-gea...515583583.html
    Agree
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8
    Conqueror Courage 2016

Quote Originally Posted by jroux View Post

Any suggestion/advice?

Thanks
    I would not use the cheap R300 for a backup - I would not trust it on big tyres in 40 degrees heat, not even for one tyre. If you are fit, the foot pump is probably a safer bet. I had a similar one when I was in my 30s for 13" tyres, and that got a good sweat going. 16" tyres will certainly give you a good work-out

A 72l/min should pump your tyres without a problem - there are many who have these. I still have an old Thomas compressor, which is super reliable, but is probably only 30l/min. It served me well for many years, and stays in the Freelander now when it gets taken on the odd trip where sand is involved
    Mike Lauterbach

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikeml For This Useful Post:

Reviving this thread

So my 300l Outdoor Warehouse compressor is fubar it seems. OW cannot have it repaired either nor do they know who will be able to do so.

R 3000 for a compressor with a 6 month warrantee and then NOTHING? Made me think and I called around.
    4x4 Direct said the Bullet might be able to be repaired if the stuff they ordered gets delivered.
    Midas said no. In fact, most of the general brands we buy, has the same end of life. If it breaks, buy a new one.

Does anyone know who will repair faulty compressors? My armature needs rewelding, but the rubbers in the pistons needs replacing. Ran hot once I suspect.

I did find two brands, ARB and VIAIR, who will repair and service the units in South Africa. The cheapest I can get away with is either the small ARB or the 300P VIAIR. Around R 6500 each.
    Think I will go VIAIR, parts and services slightly more cost effective.
    2018 Triton 2.4 Di-D 4x4
    Echo 2 Legend

You will not regret going either ARB or VIAIR. I went with the ARB twin because of it's higher capacity than VIAIR for my big camper tyres. My tank and control module is VIAIR. My backup compressor is a 160l/min jobby. Can't remember which one - could be the one from Adendorff. Looking at the quality of the ARB, and it's 100% duty cycle, I doubt that the backup compressor will ever be used.
    Mike Lauterbach

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mikeml For This Useful Post:

I tried repairing one of these generic compressors once.

If you strip it down, you will see that it is definitely designed to be a throw-away item.
    Last edited by Peter Connan; 2021/10/16 at 06:31 AM.
    Beat-up rat rod of a '96 Nissan Patrol that bears the evidence of many wonderful adventures (and a few stupid indiscretions).

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Connan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Connan View Post
    I tried repairing one of these generic compressors once.

If you strip it down, you will see that it is definitely designed to be a throw-away item.
    Did so myself. Came to the same conclusion.
    Here is my thread about the Trailboss 300l.

Trailboss 300l Compressor (4x4community.co.za)
    2018 Triton 2.4 Di-D 4x4
    Echo 2 Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd View Post
    Did so myself. Came to the same conclusion.
    Here is my thread about the Trailboss 300l.

Trailboss 300l Compressor (4x4community.co.za)
    Me too, used for one tyre after "Overhaul" and seemed to burn out.
    Went & got a 160l one from Adendorff at around R1800 as I will not be using it all that often.
    Your mind is your strongest weapon.
    Then there's.....POWER TOOLS!
    '94 LC 80 GX
    '00 Frontier 280DT 4X2
    2002 Sprite Surfer Nomad

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy View Post
    it seems folk here
    refer to a 160L/min compressor
    as a 160L compressor
    ... Land Rover Owners dont idle long ...

2002 Defender 130 DC HCPU. :
    Own the road... Any road ...
    1981 R-Rvr Classic 2-Dr 3.5L V8 :
    The Greatest Rover.
    1975 Series3 88 PUP :
    Simply ... Classic ...
    2017 Metalian Mini ...
    A Home from Home

* The Monarch of the Glen *http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...1&d=1507751251

I have a 160L/h that has croaked. Runs but suddenly started pumping air out the vacuum hole. Got it for free from a forum member, so if anybody wants it please PM me.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Dink ek sal die een aircon pomp wat ek saam een van my safaries gekry het, wat klaar as as compressor gemod is, op my daily monteer.
    Hy het tot n olie feed van crank case breather pyp. Sal sommer n gas bottel as n tenk erens onder voertuig monteer.
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Reenen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    I have a 160L/h that has croaked. Runs but suddenly started pumping air out the vacuum hole. Got it for free from a forum member, so if anybody wants it please PM me.
    No thanks - do not have enough patience for a 160L/h, even in 100% working condition
    Mike Lauterbach

Quote Originally Posted by mikeml View Post
    No thanks - do not have enough patience for a 160L/h, even in 100% working condition
    It wasn't typo, the thing was slow....
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

When the cheaper compressors guarantee expires so does the compressor.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

I have a T Max maybe 10 years old, it works regularly and is still in excellent condition. I wont think twice to buy T Max again should I need to replace it,

Quote Originally Posted by hatjohan View Post
    I have one like this which was sold by Midas in a carry case , I have used it on my LR series 3 tyres and ranger tyres as well as reseating bead on the 18 inch chrysler tyre , it does take long to pump tyre from empty to 2.5bar and requires cooling off periods .But it is working more than 10years on.
    When I bought my LR Series 3 .24tears ago it had a compressor [AC type ] fitted on the 2.25l engine feeding the air line to carb,I wonder if the airline was connected to an airtank ,would such a compressor be suitable to pump up tyres?
    Last edited by jeev; 2021/10/16 at 10:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter26 View Post
    When the cheaper compressors guarantee expires so does the compressor.
    I don't necessarily agree.
    My first fong kong compressor died within a couple of years. The socond one is now at least 8 years old and still works very well.
    The secret is to treat it with a bit of mechanical sympathy. They typically die from one of three causes. In reverse order those causes are:
    1) if they are stored in such a way that the moisture they squeeze out of the air can't run out of the cylinder. Must be stored upright.
    2) If they ingest dust. The "filters" on these things are absolutely useless.
    3) If they get too hot. Limit the number of tyres you inflate in one go and/or the pressure you inflate them to. If touching the cylinder head burns you, you are killing your compressor.
    Last edited by Peter Connan; 2021/10/17 at 07:50 AM.
    Beat-up rat rod of a '96 Nissan Patrol that bears the evidence of many wonderful adventures (and a few stupid indiscretions).

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Connan For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast