Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: I purchased an old caravan

Towed vans for 30 years always running their fridges on 12v.
    Used a Bosch relay which I moved to 3 Microbusses and never skipped a beat.
    5 different vans and all worked perfectly.
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Ford Figo 2016

Our 3way fridges were not efficient when traveling, probably mainly due to the level issue. One was our freezer. However, running them on 12V while traveling meant that they did not get too warm - the freezer lost a few degrees but remained frozen, even in after a full traveling day in hot Namibia climates.

The other added benefit was that when we stopped, the fridges started working straight away after leveling as all components were already at the right temperature.
    Mike Lauterbach

Quote Originally Posted by Hobie View Post
    "Father in law fitted EWIKS movers. Best decision according to him. He is 65 and they can't move their caravan into tight spots themselves anymore. Worthwhile upgrade."

Hi! Roughly how much is one of these 'movers'? We are approaching 60 and it sound like an interesting thing to invest in. Thanks!
    I think he paid around 25K incl installation.
    My ryding: 'n Ding met 4 rubber sirkels en n enjin wat nou en dan aangedryf word met al 4 sirkels

We never connected the 12 V in the road van. Had to put some towels or similar to catch the melting ice but that was all what we did. No need for ice cubes or ice cold beer. For the first night we normally took frozen meal and that helped to keep the fridge cool enough and after the drive quick meal.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

Has anyone any experience on the Border X Extreme caravan?

Default I purchased an old caravan

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmie View Post
    Has anyone any experience on the Border X Extreme caravan?
    I rented one for a weekend, and didnít end up buying one....

Itís a great idea.... I really wanted the four-sleeper, but not impressed with the quality.

I strongly suggest you consider renting one and try it for yourself.
    Last edited by RoddieJ; 2021/06/07 at 07:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    So we can respectfully agree to disagree on this matter. The sloshing actually does not affect the performance, there were millions of RV's travelling the States with absorption fridges all with cold contents. My experience was no drop off in efficiency, cold contents after a 8 hour journey.

So yes, I did have a dual battery fitted to the tow vehicle with the appropriate cutoff and charging mechanisms. I have towed on 12V using 16mm2 cables to the tow hitch and then 16mm2 cables from the tow hitch to the van using a purpose built thermostat to control the 12V element.

When the new van came with a 220V fridge I towed with the same setup but driving a 12V to 220V invertor in the caravan. This ran the caravan fridge as well as the 72l Snomaster in the van.

One of the best things I have ever done is to tow with power to the fridge.
    I can live with that a point that I did not mention is that those fridges had some great insulation and for them to lose ( increase ) temperaure in an 8hr trip is not a huge problem. I have one in my workshop and if the loadshedding strikes for 4 hrs I have never had the freezer compartment defrost. If I want to defrost the fridge I need to open the door.
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

8. The Following User Says Thank You to hbannink For This Useful Post:

...and for the scientists out there ?
    Read years ago that towing around SA you would be travelling perfectly level for over 90 % of your journey ?

Ford Figo 2016

Quote Originally Posted by duncang View Post
    ...and for the scientists out there ?
    Read years ago that towing around SA you would be travelling perfectly level for over 90 % of your journey ?
    It is for exactly that reason that the sloshing becomes important, it improves the return of the condensed ammonia through the ups and downs and lefts and rights.

When an ammonia fridge starts playing up the first thing you do is to turn it onto all sides to get any trapped ammonia solution back to the tank. That why it is crucial to be level as only convection and gravity are at play. Sloshing sorts this out.

Done the turning trick a good few times over the years. Works well as does giving the chimney a good scrape and also light tapping of all the pipes with a rubber mallet.

Ford Figo 2016

So I fetched the Wilk this weekend and also thoroughly enjoyed 2 nights camping at Jongensklip. A big thank you to Fanie at Hartenbos Caravans for doing all the work I mentioned in my 1st post, as well as doing the road-worthy test for me.

I was amazed to find out that the seller was the original owner and had had the van custom-built to his own design - even down to a drinks cabinet!

I pulled away with an (excessively) fully kitted van. Tables, chairs, pots, pans, plates, glasses, cutlery, microwave, tent, 2 add-a-rooms, 2 rally tents, reflective covers for caravan + tent, trapezium stabilizer, the works.

Towing home I found that it towed well, although using an asthmatic 300Tdi as a towing vehicle makes for "rustige" towing and plenty gear changes! I mostly had a very strong and gusty wind from the side. I found the van swerving a bit, even though I had tried to pack it slightly "nose heavy" - but it righted itself very quickly. I put this down to 3 factors (and I would appreciate the input of those more experienced):
    1. The double bed is situated at the rear and on the left-hand side of the van. The space underneath it is the only place large enough to take the tents - which results in weight at the back and to 1 side.
    2. At the time of manufacture (1985) most towing vehicles were obviously "plat karre". Even with the towing ball on the lowest setting of the Disco's drop-plate, the van was still level instead of slightly nose-down.
    3. I hadn't fitted the stabilizer yet.

PS: Duncang, I obviously towed the "other 10%"!!!
    Ettienne de Kock

"ASK YOURSELF HOW OLD YOU'D BE IF YOU DIDN'T KNOW THE DATE YOU WERE BORN" - Toby Keith

1998 Disco Tdi
    1959 SII 88"
    1975 Land Rover Air-Portable Lightweight
    197? RRC
    AND SWAMBO's Unmentionable Abomination

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EttiennedK For This Useful Post:

Some pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210605_140023.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	298.4 KB 
ID:	617889   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan2021-06-08_101440.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	368.3 KB 
ID:	617890   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210607_114835.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	143.6 KB 
ID:	617891  
    Ettienne de Kock

"ASK YOURSELF HOW OLD YOU'D BE IF YOU DIDN'T KNOW THE DATE YOU WERE BORN" - Toby Keith

1998 Disco Tdi
    1959 SII 88"
    1975 Land Rover Air-Portable Lightweight
    197? RRC
    AND SWAMBO's Unmentionable Abomination

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EttiennedK For This Useful Post:

Congrats, happy camping.

On towing.

I had a 2.5l VW Microbus with a Penta hanging off the back. We were towing down to Berg-en-Dal in the Kruger and to say that the wind was rather brisk would be an understatement. There is a long downhill section as you approach Millie's Trout Farm and the wind was coming diagonally and from the right. I had my foot FLAT and we were losing speed on the downhill. We were just one big sail.

Worked out my down trip consumption, 29l per 100km. The worst ever consumption I have had towing.

As mentioned, store the big tent etc. Just a rally with 2 sides will do.

Ford Figo 2016

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to duncang For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by EttiennedK View Post
    The double bed is situated at the rear and on the left-hand side of the van. The space underneath it is the only place large enough to take the tents - which results in weight at the back and to 1 side
    My rally, plus the veranda, sides and skirt I put in a bag that resembles a "balsak" from the army. I then lie this flat across the axle with the spare wheel.
    I have a island bed in the Regal and the only things that goes under the bed is a plastic tabel, my tent poles and chairs.

I made some mistakes wrt packing when I first got my caravan. But now I have it to a tee and know where to pack what to make towing easier and safer.

Quote Originally Posted by EttiennedK View Post
    At the time of manufacture (1985) most towing vehicles were obviously "plat karre". Even with the towing ball on the lowest setting of the Disco's drop-plate, the van was still level instead of slightly nose-down
    Mine rides level. I have had no issues really. Never nose up though.
    My ryding: 'n Ding met 4 rubber sirkels en n enjin wat nou en dan aangedryf word met al 4 sirkels

20. The Following User Says Thank You to IcePick88 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by IcePick88 View Post
    Mine rides level. I have had no issues really. Never nose up though.
    I had never heard this 5 degree down before. I've always towed as level as possible, erring on nose down. Absolutely not nose up.

Etienne, not sure what the weight of that van is, but my 1995 300Tdi tows wonderfully, even at Harare/Eastern Highland altitudes.

Last tow was a double cab Ford Courier on a twin axle trailer, with some very steep hills in the mix. Slower moving traffic does frustrate though, and gets one stirring the gearstick somewhat...
    Ex - 109 SIIA R6 pickup, rebuilt from a kraal find, still thrashing around in the Zim Lowveld.
    1972 88 Safari SW petrol - Mellie
    1995 Disco I 300TDi - Daisy
    Ex - 2003 Face Lift Disco II Td5 auto - d'Arcy. Now living by the sea in KZN.
    2003 Defender 110 Td5 - Bruce
    Ex - 2005 D3 V8. Still in the family in Washington State USA.
    Ex - 2007 Freelander Td4 HSE. Still in the family in Bury St Edmunds, UK

Life is a journey. Have you determined your final destination?

22. The Following User Says Thank You to SteveHarris For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SteveHarris View Post
    I had never heard this 5 degree down before. I've always towed as level as possible, erring on nose down. Absolutely not nose up.
    That was a number I was estimating using a ruler, 5%. The point was actually to make sure that there was a negative attitude of the van up front rather than a positive attitude.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Andrew Leigh For This Useful Post:

[QUOTE=EttiennedK;4656356]So I fetched the Wilk this weekend and also thoroughly enjoyed 2 nights camping at Jongensklip. A big thank you to Fanie at Hartenbos Caravans for doing all the work I mentioned in my 1st post, as well as doing the road-worthy test for me.

I was amazed to find out that the seller was the original owner and had had the van custom-built to his own design - even down to a drinks cabinet!

I pulled away with an (excessively) fully kitted van. Tables, chairs, pots, pans, plates, glasses, cutlery, microwave, tent, 2 add-a-rooms, 2 rally tents, reflective covers for caravan + tent, trapezium stabilizer, the works.

Towing home I found that it towed well, although using an asthmatic 300Tdi as a towing vehicle makes for "rustige" towing and plenty gear changes! I mostly had a very strong and gusty wind from the side. I found the van swerving a bit, even though I had tried to pack it slightly "nose heavy" - but it righted itself very quickly. I put this down to 3 factors (and I would appreciate the input of those more experienced):
    1. The double bed is situated at the rear and on the left-hand side of the van. The space underneath it is the only place large enough to take the tents - which results in weight at the back and to 1 side.
    2. At the time of manufacture (1985) most towing vehicles were obviously "plat karre". Even with the towing ball on the lowest setting of the Disco's drop-plate, the van was still level instead of slightly nose-down.
    3. I hadn't fitted the stabilizer yet.

PS: Duncang, I obviously towed the "other 10%"!!![/QUOTE

Well done! Glad to hear you enjoyed the camp. Wrt to your feedback: not much you can do about the wind. The stabiliser will help, though. If you feel the nose is still riding too high, you can fit a drop plate.

Every time you tow, you will "learn" something. Just enjoy it.
    Johan Swanepoel

"Nkabe ke ngwana wa morago"

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Swannie1960 For This Useful Post:

Weight is your big enemy and where to load it should be your biggest concern. Icepick has the right idea regarding the bags for the tent only nowdays we make square or rectangular bags with top access for the different parts of the tent. Easier to load than a "Balsak" and if you find the van doing a fox terrier impression and wagging its tail you can easily pull over and move a bag or 3 forward to increase nose weight.
    Be aware of heavy stuff in the roof boxes or things like a micro standing in its shelf. Weight high up will have a negative effect on the swaying of the van and in turn this can add to tail wagging. Keep heavy stuff on ground level while towing as far as possible.
    Packing the van correctly will become second nature the longer you use it but the good old stabilizer is still a very important piece of equipment in my view.

Believe it or not I towed a Gypsey 2 full profile caravan with on board bathroom with a 1400 nissan bakkie and that showed me where and what wind resistance really is. You will notice that up to about 80 it is not a big deal but after 80 it becomes a significant issue to deal with. Your vehicle is nice and high but you still have a goo 180mm sticking out the sides that attract wind resistance. Side winds and trucks passing from the front will tend o sway the rig just be ready for it

Enjoy it
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hbannink For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hbannink View Post
    Believe it or not I towed a Gypsey 2 full profile caravan with on board bathroom with a 1400 nissan bakkie and that showed me where and what wind resistance really is.

That must have required patience in buckets . Brings a new meaning to Vasbyt.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast