Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Default Re: My FJ buying experience

Congrats Andrew, what a nice review and initial thoughts on the vehicle.

I can see one in my future, as soon as the kids are out of the house.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dewald Posthumus For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    Why do dealers do this? I experienced the same with my Hilux, Prado and Fortuner.

Nice write-up though Hedgehog. I love FJ's. If they only they came in diesel...... sorry (spit). I digress.
    It's done either by the factory or by those transporting the vehicle, apparently it prevents the new vehicles' tyre from making a "wobble" due to prolonged periods of standing in the same spot in storage. It is actually an item on the dealer's pre-delivery inspection to adjust the tyre pressure, but few do that inspection properly.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    The Ride:

The first thing you notice is the weight, after driving it home I looked, and it says they weigh 2024 kg That is only 100 odd kgs more than the Ranger is stock, and I had a few things bolted onto the Ranger, so by and by the Ranger as I had it weighed more.

But the FJ gives an impression of weight..... in the steering, in the gear knob, in the buttons.. and in the way it just flattens every bump..
    It is very smooth, and once you ar up to highway speeds everything settles down and becomes nice and quiet.

On the way home, I tried not to stomp on the accelerator again, and I still wonder if that was out of fear or just me being disciplined..

What bothered me was that steering....

I just could not get the car to track straight, and the steering needed constant corrections, quite a concern on a busy highway and a car wider than a tank...

I was wondering if it might be my adjustment, or the shorter wheelbase, or wheel alignment.. But I drove some 180km with a roundabout route home, and eventually it became sort of ok, and I could cope with it.

I only arrived home after dark, and got some food going then to bed.. Still worried about this steering issue.

The rest of the stuff I was happy with.

The next morning I drove to work. The road is not as smooth as normal highways, and I thought I felt some bumps, more than what I thought I should. (In my mind I started thinking of what aftermarket shocks to buy the next day)

After work I thought let me fill up again, to check what the initial fuel use was, and then just to be sure check that the tyre pressures where ok.

Well I got two surprises...

The fuel consumption worked out to 8.8km/l and the tyres were pumped to 3.7 Bar

yes... 3.7 Bar
    Lol, so glad that I read to the end....for once, so nearly commented "check the tyre pressures".

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TOY4X4 For This Useful Post:

Same issue with mine
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by dirtshark; 2021/06/17 at 09:32 AM.
    FJC - Just Cruising

I can only imagine a first time ride in a FJ with 3.7 bar tyres , it will be all over the road, very light on the steering to the point of being a bit scary.

Great to see you like it a lot. The FJ is not everyone's cup of tea, but there is a reason why people love them so much and absolutely hate themselves for selling it.

Treat the loud peddle with respect and they will surprise you on fuel consumption, hammer it and nothing can wipe the smile off your face

Enjoy it Andrew!
    Dirk Theron - Life's a journey, enjoy the ride!
    ‘18 Land Cruiser FJ - build to play
    ‘19 Hilux 2.8 GD-6 Auto 4x4 - my best overland build ever
    2013 LC 200 4.6 Petrol V8 - Ex. The best car I have owned, apart from its thirst
    2014 LC 79 V8 - Ex
    2001 LC 105 4.5 EFI - Ex
    2013 FJ Cruiser - Ex
    1996 LC 80 UK spec VX 4.5 EFI auto - Ex
    2001 Jeep TJ 4L - Ex
    2006 Jeep Cherokee - Ex
    1989 LC Bundera 1KZ-TE 3L auto - Ex
    1996 Nissan Sani DC 4x4 - Ex

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DCTheron For This Useful Post:

Excellent review Andrew, it is pretty much as I experienced my first ride in mine.
    Driving an FJ is something that you cannot explain to someone. Next thing is you are going to find yourself trying to find excuses just to go out for a drive in the FJ.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bex For This Useful Post:

The Ride:

The first thing you notice is the weight, after driving it home I looked, and it says they weigh 2024 kg That is only 100 odd kgs more than the Ranger is stock, and I had a few things bolted onto the Ranger, so by and by the Ranger as I had it weighed more.

But the FJ gives an impression of weight..... in the steering, in the gear knob, in the buttons.. and in the way it just flattens every bump..
    It is very smooth, and once you ar up to highway speeds everything settles down and becomes nice and quiet.

On the way home, I tried not to stomp on the accelerator again, and I still wonder if that was out of fear or just me being disciplined..

What bothered me was that steering....

I just could not get the car to track straight, and the steering needed constant corrections, quite a concern on a busy highway and a car wider than a tank...

I was wondering if it might be my adjustment, or the shorter wheelbase, or wheel alignment.. But I drove some 180km with a roundabout route home, and eventually it became sort of ok, and I could cope with it.

I only arrived home after dark, and got some food going then to bed.. Still worried about this steering issue.

The rest of the stuff I was happy with.

The next morning I drove to work. The road is not as smooth as normal highways, and I thought I felt some bumps, more than what I thought I should. (In my mind I started thinking of what aftermarket shocks to buy the next day)

After work I thought let me fill up again, to check what the initial fuel use was, and then just to be sure check that the tyre pressures where ok.

Well I got two surprises...

The fuel consumption worked out to 8.8km/l and the tyres were pumped to 3.7 Bar

yes... 3.7 Bar
    I knew it. Every car I have bought in the last 15 years had over pressure tyres. I always since then take my tyre pressure gauge with when collecting a new car and deflate to correct pressures.
    Bruce Hunter
    "your signature should not be used to judge you or your opinions"

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceHun For This Useful Post:

So Andrew, when are you making a stop at Gobabis Toyota to fine tune that V6

Sorry Hugo (I couldn't help myself)
    Cheers
    Willem Greyling

"When the wise man points at the moon, the imbecile examines the finger" - Confucius

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MANDREAS For This Useful Post:

This was a proper "lekker" read these last few pages of the forum. Congratulation on the Red Sand Rocket!
    Sorry about the struggles of getting it though, but damn, that blissful feeling of once you have it. Makes it all worth it.
    Your descriptions of what you felt with the car was spot on.

The first ever FJ I saw in action, was back in 2012, my Matric year, I saw one in action at one of our local 4x4 events we used to host. Dieprivier 4x4 here in Pietersburg, Limpopo.
    Of the 70-80 cars there that day, non of them shined like that Red FJ. Every obstacle with ease and grace, the Gymkhana event, not a single car stood out like that thing in the river bed, and the guy had that car absolutely screaming down the river looking like a speedboat cutting through water. That was my "Eendag as ek groot is" moment.

Never really got the chance to drive one, since most dealers kind of look at you funny when you want to test drive a car being a young, 25-26y/o laaitjie. But eventually got one convinced to let me drive it, and well, long story short. That's the one I bought. Stock as a rock, 2012 lady Driven Black FJ, 98000km on the clock, perfect service record, never been offroad(Well, not a single mark on the skidpans and chassis, not even dust on top op the chassis rails)

Got mine in Feb 2020, just before lockdown unfortunately, but managed to rack on almost 20000km since Feb 2020. Using it for what it was made for, multiple trails, tracks, farmroads, gravel tracks, rivers, damns, water and mud holes, without any breakages(touch wood) as my daily and only driver. Best stock 4x4 I've been in, but yes, the mods have started, and no clear end in sight as of yet. Getting her fit and ready for Bots and Nam.

But welcome the the FJ Family, It's a lekker bunch of like minded people and I hope to see that red FJ at a FJ get together in the near future, if uncle Cyril allows it. Chuck me a PM if you want to get added to the Whatsapp group.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200211_161538.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	172.2 KB 
ID:	619110   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210322_171841_230.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	158.0 KB 
ID:	619111   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210426_125025.jpg 
Size:	497.4 KB 
ID:	619112   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200910_170154_1.jpg 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	619113   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2883.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	467.6 KB 
ID:	619114  

--2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4.0L V6 - aka Ratel
    --1998 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.0L V6 - SOLD
    ___________________________________WHEN IN DOUBT... THROTTLE OUT!___________________________________

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Flipoff94 For This Useful Post:

Thanks Andrew....an enjoyable read, and welcome to the family..........our FJ will probably never get sold as SWAMBO is absolutely in love with it. We don't do much in the way of trails, but the stuff we have done, we have found the FJ to be supremely capable. With the current surge in prices on used FJ's I enquired whether we should sell ours and use the profit as a deposit on a 76......I was politely told to get my own FJ, or 76, or whatever.

All we have done was to add a 100 liter Gerber Tank, de-CAT and a throttle controller, with aftermarket shocks on the list of things to come. If there are only 2 of you, I cannot think of any other vehicle that does everything so well.

It tows like an absolute boss on and off road.

This in summary.. after deflating the tyres to 2.2 bar

It is everything I had hoped it to be, and more.

Comfortable
    Strong
    Smooth

With good off road ability, straight from the shop.
    Last edited by Markus and Zelda; 2021/06/17 at 11:16 AM.
    It is what it is!!

Markus and Zelda van den Berg
    FJ Cruiser Fangirl/boy

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Markus and Zelda For This Useful Post:

Dammit Andrew, I don't like you anymore...

You've just had this dyed in the wool Landie fanatic Googling FJ specs, reviews and prices!!!
    Ettienne de Kock

"ASK YOURSELF HOW OLD YOU'D BE IF YOU DIDN'T KNOW THE DATE YOU WERE BORN" - Toby Keith

1998 Disco Tdi
    1959 SII 88"
    1975 Land Rover Air-Portable Lightweight
    197? RRC
    AND SWAMBO's Unmentionable Abomination

21. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to EttiennedK For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by EttiennedK View Post

You've just had this dyed in the wool Landie fanatic Googling FJ specs, reviews and prices!!!
    You're not the only one...

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chopped For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Chopped View Post
    You're not the only one...
    SNAP!

It really does look like an awesome vehicle, but for a family of 5 it just isn't practical. And I'm still a very big fan of shorty Pajeros..
    2017 Mitsubishi Triton D/C 2.4 manual 4x4
    2014 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2.5 Auto 4x4
    1998 Mitsubishi Pajero SWB 3.0 V6 - SOLD
    2017 Ford Ranger XLS Auto 4x4 D/C - SOLD
    2014 Mitsubishi Triton 2.5 DiD D/C - SOLD

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Leeubok For This Useful Post:

In that case , whatever you do don't go and test drive one.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bex For This Useful Post:

Out of curiosity I just googled FJ prices, my goodness, should I sell our kitted 2018 model I'll make a handsome amount of money. BUT NO
    2013 LC 200 4.6 Petrol V8 - Ex. The best car I have owned, apart from its thirst
    2014 LC 79 V8 - Ex
    2001 LC 105 4.5 EFI - Ex
    2013 FJ Cruiser - Ex
    2001 Jeep TJ 4L - Ex
    2006 Jeep Cherokee - Ex

I got mine, 2017 model, in Jan for R520 K , same model and milaege one is now R620 K

Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    Remember, the Hilux, Fortuner and 70 series got the single VVT-I engine that makes some 176(?) KW. Your FJ got the dual VVT-i 202 KW motor, like the Prado 150, but is a good 300 kg lighter.
    This is very interesting!
    I had a hilux v6 for a while when we stayed in Durban, and I absolutely loved it, but, I found it suffered big time up at JHb altitude. So I was interested to read Andrew's comments on its power here.
    If it has that much more power than the hilux's v6, this all makes sense to me now though. Thanks.
    Graham Robertson
    Nissan Patrol 4.8

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:

Nice review. I've always liked the FJ

But...

My wife has always said she really likes the FJ and would not mind one... I will makes sure to park far away from it on the brekkie run.

Don't wanna add a FJ to my list of items purchased due to the 4x4 Forum.

More pictures will be appreciated
    Last edited by Redman; 2021/06/17 at 12:04 PM.
    Pieter le Roux

Paid R560k for our fully kitted demo in Nov 2018. Looks like it is worth a lot more now.
    2014 LC 79 V8 - Ex
    2001 LC 105 4.5 EFI - Ex
    2013 FJ Cruiser - Ex
    2001 Jeep TJ 4L - Ex
    2006 Jeep Cherokee - Ex

34. The Following User Says Thank You to DCTheron For This Useful Post:

Bex

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    Why do dealers do this? I experienced the same with my Hilux, Prado and Fortuner.

Nice write-up though Hedgehog. I love FJ's. If they only they came in diesel...... sorry (spit). I digress.
    All new Toyota's come pumped like that from the factory. We correct all tyre pressures before the vehicles come in the showroom.
    Jörg Reddig

1995 Discovery V8 ( Thor intake system , controlled by Spitronics Mercury 2)
    Land Rover 3.9 V8 " Defender 90 " Under Construction
    2021 Hilux Legend D/CAB ( Company Vehicle)

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast