Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Default Re: My FJ buying experience

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    Ok I'll elaborate a bit to give some more insight.

In terms of shortage, even if there is another vehicle at a dealership in the same group, the dealership might not want to let it go because they know they can sell it. As an example, at one point during my stint as a Toyota salesman, Hilux D4D 4X4's were very scarce. I got a deal on one, ordered one and at the last moment, the deal fell through. Our sister company in JHB saw we had one on the floor and asked to have it. At that time my deal was still on and I refused. Within a day of her calling the deal fell through. Her customer then started calling dealers all over SA and ended up with me who had a vehicle in stock! He flew down to buy it. Which upset the sister dealership quite a bit. It happens.

So it pays to call around but if you find one at another dealership it does not mean the salesman did not do his job. He probably just could not convince the other dealership to swop it.

I can never understand why car sales people would not care about a sale since that is how you earn your living. We were very competitive on the floor.
    There are many examples how sales people don't care.
    In that example I mentioned, I know for a fact that the guy in Windhoek didn't do anything: a few hours into me telling him I found a vehicle elsewhere he sent me 2 quotations on vehicles in the pool in SA. The Swakop branch had not been contacted by him in search for a vehicle before that. He had a reputation of being lazy, despite several trophies "salesman of the year" on a shelve behind him.

During my search I went to Toyota and had a look around there. I spent 15+ minutes in the showroom walking in between the vehicles, in clear sight of several sales people, none of which had customers in front of them, several of them busy playing solitaire or similar (I saw the reflection of their screens behind them). I tried to make eye contact with anyone of them, they very much avoided it.
    Eventually I asked one of them to assist me, which was answered with a sigh. I then got told that the SC baseline Hilux would much, much cheaper than the Amarok.
    Now comparing a 2011 Hilux SC to an Amarok SC Trendline, which had raised suspension (compared to the Hilux), A/C, a decent radio for the time, lots of safety features AND much more cabin space showed that the salesperson really didn't know her stuff and couldn't care less. No incentive and she was just too happy to sink into her seat again to continue playing solitaire.

The guys at Isuzu and Nissan where very good, but unfortunately they were unable to make me an offer on the Cherokee Renegade I tried to trade in at that time.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

I'm amazed by the indifference shown by some of the sales reps that you have encountered. I'm in Brisbane at present, living part time here and part time in Africa due to Covid. In February I wanted to order a new car, couldn't decide between Prado and Patrol, the two sales reps I dealt with knocked themselves out to get my business, they knew I was looking at both cars, both acknowledged there was a long waiting list due to worldwide problem with chips. I finally decided upon the Prado, the rep gave me a rough indicator saying mid-May. Unfortunately when the vehicle arrived in Brisbane there was a massive dispute between Toyota Australia and the company that was designated to move the vehicles 50kms to where the dealer is situated resulting in a 3 week delay. I was kept in touch every step of the way. I expressed my frustration with the rep acknowledging it wasn't his fault, the dealership's principal called me, I explained I was in a dilemma as I would now have to hire a car for 3 weeks, he immediately arranged a demo model, Camry Hybrid (15,000kms on clock) which I used until my vehicle was delivered last week. How is that for fantastic service?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    John 2014 Toyota Hilux 4x4 3.0 D4D and 2021 Toyota Prado GXL 2.8
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"
    "I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy" - Ernest Hemingway

Kgalagadi 2019 Namibia 2019 Gonarezhou 2019 Mana/Tafika 2018 Kgalagadi 2017 Lion, Hippo, Eland Leguaan, Python

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tedx2 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tedx2 View Post
    I'm amazed by the indifference shown by some of the sales reps that you have encountered. I'm in Brisbane at present, living part time here and part time in Africa due to Covid. In February I wanted to order a new car, couldn't decide between Prado and Patrol, the two sales reps I dealt with knocked themselves out to get my business, they knew I was looking at both cars, both acknowledged there was a long waiting list due to worldwide problem with chips. I finally decided upon the Prado, the rep gave me a rough indicator saying mid-May. Unfortunately when the vehicle arrived in Brisbane there was a massive dispute between Toyota Australia and the company that was designated to move the vehicles 50kms to where the dealer is situated resulting in a 3 week delay. I was kept in touch every step of the way. I expressed my frustration with the rep acknowledging it wasn't his fault, the dealership's principal called me, I explained I was in a dilemma as I would now have to hire a car for 3 weeks, he immediately arranged a demo model, Camry Hybrid (15,000kms on clock) which I used until my vehicle was delivered last week. How is that for fantastic service?
    Stop comparing 1st world countries to 5th world countries.

Congrats.
    My ryding: 'n Ding met 4 rubber sirkels en n enjin wat nou en dan aangedryf word met al 4 sirkels

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IcePick88 For This Useful Post:

Just for interest! There is currently only one FJ on a Floor in SA and that is at Malalane Toyota and 2 are currently at Toyota SA for Ceres Toyota and Tamboti Toyota and 2 further FJ are having the Fitments done at Toyota SA for McCarthy Toyota Midrand and McCarthy Toyota Lynnwood. Then there are a few still unbuilt units that have been ordered.
    JŲrg Reddig

1995 Discovery V8 ( Thor intake system , controlled by Spitronics Mercury 2)
    Land Rover 3.9 V8 " Defender 90 " Under Construction
    2021 Hilux Legend D/CAB ( Company Vehicle)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JWR For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JWR View Post
    Just for interest! There is currently only one FJ on a Floor in SA and that is at Malalane Toyota and 2 are currently at Toyota SA for Ceres Toyota and Tamboti Toyota and 2 further FJ are having the Fitments done at Toyota SA for McCarthy Toyota Midrand and McCarthy Toyota Lynnwood. Then there are a few still unbuilt units that have been ordered.
    Thanks Jorg

2021 FJ Cruiser

Malelane one was delivered to a buyer on Friday

2021 FJ Cruiser

2 are currently at Toyota SA for Ceres Toyota and Tamboti Toyota
    Both ordered for specific clients..

2021 FJ Cruiser

2 further FJ are having the Fitments done at Toyota SA for McCarthy Toyota Midrand and McCarthy Toyota Lynnwood. Then there are a few still unbuilt units that have been ordered.
    I can get both of these within the next week...

But, the one is red.. and the other yellow.. And these would have probably been last on my color list.

2021 FJ Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post

But, the one is red.. and the other yellow.. And these would have probably been last on my color list.
    Clive at McCarthy Midrand is checking for me now..

2021 FJ Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    Surely they must have visibility of stock availability and allocations through the supply chain?

Shipping is an issue though.

Hedge (hhahaha) your bets and look at what is available immediately on Autotrader and see if something ticks the boxes.

Absolutely correct Estee. they do have visibility

I smell a rat though, My boet who works for a big Toyota group tells me that sometimes "steal deals" and give the vehicle to the higher bidder. Sometimes out of country..
    RechardT

Now- Toyo GD6 2.8- Creed

One day is One day- Dodge Ram 6.7l TD.

You can go anywhere you want in life as long as its in a 4x4.

Have it wrapped
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

Andrť Opperman

Yellow and Red is usually last on my list as well, but I had 2 of my best deals in the past end up being red and I was happy.
    The yellow FJ's that I have seen somehow looked good.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bex For This Useful Post:

Go with the yellow and let's wrap the bonnet and roof in Matt black..
    RechardT

Now- Toyo GD6 2.8- Creed

One day is One day- Dodge Ram 6.7l TD.

You can go anywhere you want in life as long as its in a 4x4.

FYI

There is an FJ with 7000km standing at Toyz Umhlanga. Itís the brown one.

Quote Originally Posted by AfricaOffroad View Post
    FYI

There is an FJ with 7000km standing at Toyz Umhlanga. Itís the brown one.
    Thank but they are asking R40k more than new.. I will not go there

2021 FJ Cruiser

I was tempted by the red, it looks lekker with the red roof.
    FJC - Just Cruising

Quote Originally Posted by IcePick88 View Post
    Stop comparing 1st world countries to 5th world countries.

Congrats.
    It's about the gesture. The 5th world country can give him a Tazz instead of a Camry hybrid while waiting. It still would count for something.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to byaru1 For This Useful Post:

So, itís the red one then

2021 FJ Cruiser

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hedgehog For This Useful Post:

Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Total 4x4 Novice with no experience whats-so-ever

''Nothing makes the Earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes''. H.D. Thoreau.

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

So, itís the red one then
    Congrats Andrew.
    Cheers
    Willem Greyling

"When the wise man points at the moon, the imbecile examines the finger" - Confucius

27. The Following User Says Thank You to MANDREAS For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast