Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Mad repair assessment!

My Waeco CF50 decided after years of use to go pop, bang, grrrr after years of use. It's insured. I just received the report from the insurer's assessment company, they want to rush the insurance R5900 to repair a 12 year old fridge. They are mad!

Maybe I can convince them to give me the cash and I buy a new one or a new 2nd hand one? I really don't want someone to rush the insurer R6k for a repair. I won't allow it, it's daylight robbery.

Default Re: Mad repair assessment!

That's madness. What needs fixing?

When you say "insured", is it a warranty or part of your short term insurance policy? (Important difference, on a short term claim the policyholder has the right to claim cash in lieu of repairs).
    Stephan G

4x4: 2018 Isuzu KB250 D-Teq 4x4 DC
    Platkar: 2019 Suzuki Baleno GLX

"All of us get lost in the darkness. Dreamers learn to steer by the stars"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Groenman For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Groenman View Post

When you say "insured", is it a warranty or part of your short term insurance policy? (Important difference, on a short term claim the policyholder has the right to claim cash in lieu of repairs).
    It's specified on my short term insurance. Yes, i'm going to ask for the cash, rather look for something and pay in on it. When the company contracted by the insurer came to fetch it, the guy admitted that this is their very first camping fridge. So they probably don't even know how to properly fix it. Not taking that chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Groenman View Post

Items that are economical to repair:
    1. Waeco CF-50 49liter cool freeze camping fridge The power supply protection
    circuitry, primary mains circuitry and AC/DC rectifier are blown. The output power
    control and regulation circuitry is also blown. Cost to repair xxxxxxx

Quote Originally Posted by Morne - Skip View Post
    It's specified on my short term insurance. Yes, i'm going to ask for the cash, rather look for something and pay in on it. When the company contracted by the insurer came to fetch it, the guy admitted that this is their very first camping fridge. So they probably don't even know how to properly fix it. Not taking that chance.
    They just saw an opportunity to make some $$.
    My ryding: 'n Ding met 4 rubber sirkels en n enjin wat nou en dan aangedryf word met al 4 sirkels

If you had it connected to AC in your house my guess is voltage spikes after load shedding, I lost a NL fridge control board like that in the past.

I'd also say take the cash and buy something new.
    "The problems we have today is because the guys who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." - Magnus Heystek

My Waeco CF50 decided after years of use to go pop, bang, grrrr after years of use. It's insured. I just received the report from the insurer's assessment company, they want to rush the insurance R5900 to repair a 12 year old fridge. They are mad!

Maybe I can convince them to give me the cash and I buy a new one or a new 2nd hand one? I really don't want someone to rush the insurer R6k for a repair. I won't allow it, it's daylight robbery.
    Contact Dometic (old WAECO) in Edenvale directly and get them to quote on repairs.

Get the insurance to make pay-out to you and then decide between Dometic repair cost or new fridge??

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ELU For This Useful Post:

Reminds me of the time a couple years ago when our geyser burst. The guys came to do measurements to quote on replacing the ceiling. I stood by while they were measuring the bathroom and passage then I walked away, next thing I see they are also measuring the living room which is far away from any damage.

Not surprisingly, when the quote came they quoted on replacing and painting the ceilings in the bathroom, passage and the entire living room. I reported this to the insurance, 2 days later they sent another company to measure and give a new quote.
    "The problems we have today is because the guys who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." - Magnus Heystek

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bigboy529 For This Useful Post:

Items that are economical to repair:
    1. Waeco CF-50 49liter cool freeze camping fridge The power supply protection
    circuitry, primary mains circuitry and AC/DC rectifier are blown. The output power
    control and regulation circuitry is also blown. Cost to repair xxxxxxx
    Sounds like a BS thumbsuck quote because they dont know how to diagnose
    I repair camp fridges all the time!
    That quote is crazy!

Contact these guys:

Camp Fridge Repair
    80 Alcade Road
    Lynnwood Glen
    Pretoria, Gauteng 0081
    South Africa
    Tel: 082 903 9971

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to renier_c For This Useful Post:

Talk to Johan Prinsloo in Pta
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Henris For This Useful Post:

A black guy Piet @ 0840604854 is a real nice guy and he did my brother inlaw's Waeco after it was struck by lightning at a very fair price and it is working like a dream.

You probably find it was just a fuse that they can fix for R10, but quote an arm and a leg, you get paid out, the fridge gets "scrapped", then they fix for peanuts and turn around and sell for a big profit.
    2009 Suzuki GV 3.2
    ex : 2010 Suzuki GV 2.4 M/T
    ex : 2007 Audi A4 2.0T - RS4 rear suspension

The Fridge is with Johan yes. He previously did a repair for me too. Just thought I would use the insurance rather than pick my own pocket.

But I'm not going to let an appliance repairer rip the insurance and then maybe the fridge isn't properly repaired

So, Johan assessed, and quoted less than half of what was originally quoted. If insurance companies did their homework better, they would save money and we as consumer would pay less monthly. It will be a win win.

Does anyone perhaps know - how do you become a preferred supplier / repairer / service provider for an insurance company?

This is interesting...

When I needed to get my CF-50 repaired, I went to my usual appliance repair shop... they told me that they weren't allowed to repair camping fridges because of the different refrigerant (if I remember correctly), so your insurance shouldn't have sent the fridge there in the first place.
    2015 VW Amarok 4motion Auto
    2011 Conqueror Companion

Quote Originally Posted by BobMabena View Post
    This is interesting...

When I needed to get my CF-50 repaired, I went to my usual appliance repair shop... they told me that they weren't allowed to repair camping fridges because of the different refrigerant (if I remember correctly), so your insurance shouldn't have sent the fridge there in the first place.
    The lady on the phone was also confused, I had to describe it to her over the phone, when the company arrived, they wanted to reverse in with the bakkie, when I said don't worry I will carry it - I could see the disbelieve.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Morne - Skip For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Coenie Delport View Post
    A black guy Piet @ 0840604854 is a real nice guy and he did my brother inlaw's Waeco after it was struck by lightning at a very fair price and it is working like a dream.
    I had occasion to cal him in 2019 when my small waeco was giving me hassles in the Kalahari. Talked him through the symtems, told me what to check and hay ho working again within about 20 mins. Excellent bloke, have kept his number.

Al my appliances the insurance replaced with new , fridge, TVs microwave etc , the only thing that was repaired instead of replaced was the built in steam shower , but that was under the house and not contents
    I have not claimed for about 10 years so perhaps things have changed?
    Pajero 3.2 DID Gen 4 Standard for now
    Platcar Alfa Giulietta 1.4 MA
    Swambo Volvo S40 T5

Open up and connect 12V direct to compressor and see if it runs. If yes, then only the Controls (Fancy Temperature display with pre-set) should be faulty. I replaced my Snomaster display myself 3? weeks ago @ ~R240? for the Display/Control card. 2 screws out, unplug the wires, plug into new display and screw back. <10 min.

Or install a standard freezer Thermostat @ R100. Set once with a temperature indicator and walk away. No fancy electronics which can/will? fail.

PS: The 220Vac goes to the top of the Control box mounted on the compressor (if the latest SECOM Compressor). Gives 12Vdc out to the Display card/controller - could have popped............

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast