Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 29 of 29
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Simon's Town
    Age
    71
    Posts
    1,063
    Thanked: 411

    Default Re: 30 Day Trip To Botswana

    Hi John.

    A couple of comments;

    For me personally 3 nights at Kubu is a long time.

    I see you have 3 nights at Ihaha so that is probably okay, but that 136 kms from Savuti will be a long drive. The 25 kms or so from Ngoma to Ihaha is just slow going.

    Most of those straight roads that are perpendicular to the river can only be used to exit onto the transit road.
    Last edited by mcowell; Yesterday at 03:57 PM.
    Malcolm
    2015 Pajero 3.2 LWB
    Bushwakka Sundowner No. 31

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to mcowell For This Useful Post:


  3. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ghanzi, Botswana
    Age
    42
    Posts
    2,137
    Thanked: 1414

    Default Re: 30 Day Trip To Botswana

    Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    Easy. And I don't think 3 nights are needed at all. One at the most. We have done Khama to Mabua east gate in one day. Granted it was quite a long day, but we managed it. You can maybe look at one overnight stop at Jwaneng, but it will not be camping. As far as I know there is still no camping options in Jwaneng, but there is decent hotel and a few guest houses.

    So the route will be: you will be approaching Serowe from the direction of Orapa/Lethlakane I presume. So at the big t-junction, turning left will take you to Palapye. Turn right. There is a lovely quiet tar road from Serowe, Mosolotsane, Lephephe. You will hit the outskirts of Gabs at Molepolole and it will be a bit of slow going but you will eventually join the A2 just north of Kanye.

    EDIT: if you want to break this section more, you can look at stopping at Khama again, but it may be a bit close to Kubu. And you are already stopping there, but personally I like Khama RS so stopping there twice will not be a train wreck for me. There is also a campsite close to Serowe, but I can never recall the name. Pat will know. There is also some sort of motel behind the garage at Sekoma, but cannot say what it is like or how quiet and safe it will be.

    The sand to Ihaha is nothing worse than to Nxai pan. Coming from Savuti, you will join the A 33 almost at the Ngoma gate entrance. Enter there and there is a track going north, then east, then north again and then it follows the river. This track is easy to tow on, quite hard and even rocky in some places. If you look on the map, you will see several tracks running almost perfectly perpendicular between the river and the A33. I think there are about 4 of them. They are indeed sandy but we used one of them (not sure which one) when we left Ihaha. IIRC it may be the one most to the east, either just before or after Serondela. You will have time to explore when you are camping at Ihaha and you can see which one will work best. Remember you cannot follow the river track from Serondela east wards, it is a one way direction west.
    Its the Paje River Camp. Its on the sloppy hill few kilometres after KRS enroute to Serowe. Check it out on facebook, and see if you like it. I agree with with Christa, overnight in Jwaneng at Cresta Jwaneng Hotel. Its just by the road and fenced and your trailer will be secure. Then do shopping next day before you leave for Mabua.

    _______________________________
    2011
    VW Amarok BIturbo TDI 4Motion (SOLD Dec 2020)
    2019 Land Cruiser 79 4.2 S/C
    _______________________________

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PAT n WOLF For This Useful Post:


  5. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Harare & Brisbane
    Age
    61
    Posts
    600
    Thanked: 948

    Default Re: 30 Day Trip To Botswana

    Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    Easy. And I don't think 3 nights are needed at all. One at the most. We have done Khama to Mabua east gate in one day. Granted it was quite a long day, but we managed it. You can maybe look at one overnight stop at Jwaneng, but it will not be camping. As far as I know there is still no camping options in Jwaneng, but there is decent hotel and a few guest houses.

    So the route will be: you will be approaching Serowe from the direction of Orapa/Lethlakane I presume. So at the big t-junction, turning left will take you to Palapye. Turn right. There is a lovely quiet tar road from Serowe, Mosolotsane, Lephephe. You will hit the outskirts of Gabs at Molepolole and it will be a bit of slow going but you will eventually join the A2 just north of Kanye.

    EDIT: if you want to break this section more, you can look at stopping at Khama again, but it may be a bit close to Kubu. And you are already stopping there, but personally I like Khama RS so stopping there twice will not be a train wreck for me. There is also a campsite close to Serowe, but I can never recall the name. Pat will know. There is also some sort of motel behind the garage at Sekoma, but cannot say what it is like or how quiet and safe it will be.

    The sand to Ihaha is nothing worse than to Nxai pan. Coming from Savuti, you will join the A 33 almost at the Ngoma gate entrance. Enter there and there is a track going north, then east, then north again and then it follows the river. This track is easy to tow on, quite hard and even rocky in some places. If you look on the map, you will see several tracks running almost perfectly perpendicular between the river and the A33. I think there are about 4 of them. They are indeed sandy but we used one of them (not sure which one) when we left Ihaha. IIRC it may be the one most to the east, either just before or after Serondela. You will have time to explore when you are camping at Ihaha and you can see which one will work best. Remember you cannot follow the river track from Serondela east wards, it is a one way direction west.
    Thanks Christa, those comments and directions make plenty of sense now. From Khama to Mabua must have been a long day, maybe in our youth but being retired with no time restrictions means that we are in no great hurry so always take it easy. Linda and I once did Cape Town to Beitbridge in one day, with two children, pretty much 2000kms, I get cold shivers when I think of it now. We will probably do two stops, maybe Khama and Jwaneng. Please see the two attached maps from Google, is this the way we go, particularly from Sekoma to Mabua? If so what is the section like once you leave the A20 at Kokotsha, heading almost due west and then due south, I assume this is gravel/sand?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Orapa To Mole.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	630115   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mole To Mabua.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	630116  
    John 2014 Toyota Hilux 4x4 3.0 D4D and 2021 Toyota Prado GXL 2.8
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba" plus
    Badger 4i BL2 "Ratel"
    "I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy" - Ernest Hemingway

    Kgalagadi 2019 Namibia 2019 Gonarezhou 2019 Mana/Tafika 2018 Kgalagadi 2017 Lion, Hippo, Eland Leguaan, Python

  6. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    52
    Posts
    9,577
    Thanked: 6954

    Default Re: 30 Day Trip To Botswana

    Yes, both routes are correct.

    From Kokotsha to Mabua is a mixture, but mostly very corrugated sand. It is not thick sand though except for a few patches when you turn south along the border of the park up to the park gate. But that section is a huge wide cutline, probably equivalent to a dual direction tar road in width. And it gets graded from time to time. It is seriously good fun to drive and you can pick up a bit of speed. Just not too much

    The stretch up to there is just a boring somewhat exhausting slog on a twee spoor track. Zero chance of getting stuck if that is your concern.

    If you have the time, the two stops at Khama and Jwaneng is a wise decision. It can take time to clear Gabs and one should not be in a rush.

    It was a very long day from Khama to Mabua and it was in December in higher 40 degree heat.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; Yesterday at 04:14 PM.
    Christa
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT

    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes


  7. The Following User Says Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:


  8. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Harare & Brisbane
    Age
    61
    Posts
    600
    Thanked: 948

    Default Re: 30 Day Trip To Botswana

    Quote Originally Posted by mcowell View Post
    Hi John.

    A couple of comments;

    For me personally 3 nights at Kubu is a long time.

    I see you have 3 nights at Ihaha so that is probably okay, but that 136 kms from Savuti will be a long drive. The 25 kms or so from Ngoma to Ihaha is just slow going.

    Most of those straight roads that are perpendicular to the river can only be used to exit onto the transit road.
    Hi Malcolm, thanks for your thoughts, yes 3 nights at Kubu may be a day too many. We will look at that, maybe arrive in Botswana a day later, with all the game drives on the following days sometimes it is good to just sit and relax for a day or two, unlike most on the forum we will live in our van fulltime so we have bags of time available. Will have to find out which of the perpendicular roads are available to enter the area.
    John 2014 Toyota Hilux 4x4 3.0 D4D and 2021 Toyota Prado GXL 2.8
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba" plus
    Badger 4i BL2 "Ratel"
    "I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy" - Ernest Hemingway

    Kgalagadi 2019 Namibia 2019 Gonarezhou 2019 Mana/Tafika 2018 Kgalagadi 2017 Lion, Hippo, Eland Leguaan, Python

  9. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    East London
    Age
    68
    Posts
    5,235
    Thanked: 6616

    Default Re: 30 Day Trip To Botswana

    I agree with Malcolm that 3 nights at Kubu is one too many.

    I disagree with Malcolm about the difficulty in getting to Ihaha. I would far rather camp within the national park at Ihaha than on its outskirts.

    If you are looking to allocate an extra day I would add it to Xakanaka or Ihaha.
    Stanley Weakley.
    Toyota Landcruiser 76SW 4,2L diesel.

    “Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

    Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:


  11. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Secunda
    Age
    58
    Posts
    651
    Thanked: 615

    Default Re: 30 Day Trip To Botswana

    Quote Originally Posted by Tedx2 View Post
    Hi Malcolm, thanks for your thoughts, yes 3 nights at Kubu may be a day too many. We will look at that, maybe arrive in Botswana a day later, with all the game drives on the following days sometimes it is good to just sit and relax for a day or two, unlike most on the forum we will live in our van fulltime so we have bags of time available. Will have to find out which of the perpendicular roads are available to enter the area.
    John

    If this was my choice I would do 2 nights at Kubu and do Senyati for 1 night, just for that bunker experience. It is truly amazing.

    "In nature, nothing is on order - appreciate what you do get to experience" - Myself
    Everest 2.0 BiT - BL Boskriek
    Trip Reports: Namibia, Kaa Wilderness, Wildcoast, Botswana, Kgalagadi, Lesotho, Western Cape

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Frans 90 For This Useful Post:


  13. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Secunda
    Age
    58
    Posts
    651
    Thanked: 615

    Default Re: 30 Day Trip To Botswana

    John

    I can pick up that you concerned about towing and sand. On our first trip I feared sand more than anything else. If you pay attention all the time it really is not that bad. 4X4 High will take you through all of it. Just a comment on your move from Khumaga to Nxai, I would use that straight road up north instead of backtracking via the ferry again. There are some really thick sand stretches, but if you leave very early you will manage that hole stretch in 4X4 high with steady momentum. I drove it with the Boskriek in tow and did not experience any problems. It will save you quite some time and distance and even fuel, thick sand and all.


    "In nature, nothing is on order - appreciate what you do get to experience" - Myself
    Everest 2.0 BiT - BL Boskriek
    Trip Reports: Namibia, Kaa Wilderness, Wildcoast, Botswana, Kgalagadi, Lesotho, Western Cape

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ghanzi, Botswana
    Age
    42
    Posts
    2,137
    Thanked: 1414

    Default Re: 30 Day Trip To Botswana

    Quote Originally Posted by Frans 90 View Post
    John

    I can pick up that you concerned about towing and sand. On our first trip I feared sand more than anything else. If you pay attention all the time it really is not that bad. 4X4 High will take you through all of it. Just a comment on your move from Khumaga to Nxai, I would use that straight road up north instead of backtracking via the ferry again. There are some really thick sand stretches, but if you leave very early you will manage that hole stretch in 4X4 high with steady momentum. I drove it with the Boskriek in tow and did not experience any problems. It will save you quite some time and distance and even fuel, thick sand and all.

    Hie Franns90
    When did you use the North up route. This year, there has been military equipment movement to Khumaga area to fight poaching, with heavy trucks and it very bad especially when pulling a trailer. Its worth noting at some point the sandy patch extend for few kilometres. I wouldn't recommend it at all with a trailer.

    _______________________________
    2011
    VW Amarok BIturbo TDI 4Motion (SOLD Dec 2020)
    2019 Land Cruiser 79 4.2 S/C
    _______________________________

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •