Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default First time 4x4 buyer - is a dark grey SUV a bad idea?

Hi all,

I'm buying my first 4x4. Since I had 3 boys who wants to camp more and more, but also a wife who doesn't want a double-cab (afraid of parking in the city), we're looking at the 7-seater SUVs. I'm buying 2nd hand, so I've looked at Fortuners, Ford Everests, Pajero Sports and the Isuzu MU-X, from 2016 onwards.

This morning I got a good deal on a 2019 MU-X, 4x4 automatic, with only 12,000km on the clock. No scratches major problems, still has the warranty and service plan active. I don't think the guy ever took it out of the city.

I however plan on taking it off-road, so this is where the problem comes in - it is dark grey. See pic.

My gut tells me a shouldn't buy a dark grey 4x4 because the bush will scratch the hell out of it. Am I being stupid?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MU-X.png 
Views:	397 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	616889
    Last edited by ebendl; 2021/05/28 at 02:43 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ebendl For This Useful Post:

Default Re: First time 4x4 buyer - is a dark grey SUV a bad idea?

The bush will scratch the hell out of any coloured vehicle... Will just be more visible, and in my experience, more visible on darker colours.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to A_dam10 For This Useful Post:

I had 2 black 4x4s and yes they get scratched..However even the light coloured ones the scratches are visible if you look closer
    Genera;;y dark vehciles are a tad cheaper and you can have most scratches buffed if you need..Thats a very nice colour Mux

Oh, congrats on the car...

I’ve got a grey/metallic Touareg. Taken it offroad a couple of times. Yes it scratches. Yes it buffs out

Don’t worry too much about it.
    Gert Grobler

VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape; Land Cruiser 105
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

Hi, nice buy congrats

It's probably going to get very scratched, but my gold colour is also very scratched from the bush but most of it happened in really remote places where the tracks are very overgrown for 100's of kilos'. I suppose it does not show up as easily on the gold, but its there. My dad's car is a similar dark blue and its not that badly scratched after 400k km, a lot of it in the bush. If you want to avoid it then the only real option is to go get the sides VPS protected. My car used to have VPS around the front end and it was amazing, but unfortunately someone removed it during a valet due to it being scratched. Its rather expensive, but cheaper than a respray.

Cheers
    Last edited by ChasingSunsets; 2021/05/28 at 03:04 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ChasingSunsets For This Useful Post:

Buy the vehicle and deal with any issues. Grey is one of the worst colours in terms of visibility of other rod users seeing you, however with day time running lights I don't think this is an issue. It will be hotter than a white car, but not excessively so, and you will have air con. If it is a good deal I would go for it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to stephenplumb For This Useful Post:

I've got a dark grey Pajero and I cant say that it is more work than my white Toyota. Nice colour on the MU-X!
    Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 D-ID GLX LWB

Simple, VPS or some other clear wrap, there's even "self-healing" types that hide any scratches to the film with some heat from a hair-dryer or similar
    2010 Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2

All coloured vehicles show scratches, but when you get home, apply a little elbow grease and polish and they soon come out.
    2008 Ford Ranger 3.0 XLT 4x4

Haven't gone through with the deal yet -- I have to tell the dealership tomorrow morning.

Nice vehicle , if you are going to do some semi serious to serious off road Then I would worry about the tyres , they look like normal HT road tyres that can easily get side punchers etc , the side steps as these are easily damaged , and the front bumper , paint scratches would be my last concern
    However if you are just going to travel on gravel roads then its fine , but so is your average normal car
    In my 20 years of ownership of 4x4 (Jeep TJ Jeep XJ and SWB Pajero now) I needed 4x4 around 10% of the time and low range around 30 times ! 99% of people dont really need a 4x4 but rather a vehicle that rides a bit higher , but I suppose its "cool" to have a 4x4.
    Last edited by 12richardk; 2021/05/28 at 04:12 PM.
    Pajero 3.2 DID Gen 4 Standard for now
    Platcar Alfa Giulietta 1.4 MA
    Swambo Volvo S40 T5

Quote Originally Posted by ebendl View Post
    Haven't gone through with the deal yet -- I have to tell the dealership tomorrow morning.

Those scratches show you’re using the vehicle as designed. Buff out but you do eventually thin the paint. Buff less often…camp more.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to heyyahhey For This Useful Post:

I recently took a dark blue-green 1999 blister fender Pajero SWB over-lander that has over many years been scratched all over to a panel shop for a buff. ALL scratches disappeared, looks as good as new. Job cost R850. See attached pic.

So, unless you drive the vehicle into dry, thick branches, chances are low that any scratch will go through clear and topcoat.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Ouarzazate; 2021/05/28 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Added pic
    2011 Pajero 3.8 GLS LWB

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ouarzazate For This Useful Post:

My white hilux d4d also got scratches but far less visible. I now have a graphite grey gd6 and it seems if you walk passed it it scratches.
    I found a great product that worked well. Ceramic coat from detail ease. It brings out the shine in the darker cars and protects it from bush rash.
    Also makes it easier to clean off mud bird droppings etc
    https://detailease.co.za/?gclid=EAIa...iAAEgKy2vD_BwE
    Last edited by shaggy; 2021/05/28 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 12richardk View Post
    Nice vehicle , if you are going to do some semi serious to serious off road Then I would worry about the tyres , they look like normal HT road tyres that can easily get side punchers etc , the side steps as these are easily damaged , and the front bumper , paint scratches would be my last concern
    However if you are just going to travel on gravel roads then its fine , but so is your average normal car
    In my 20 years of ownership of 4x4 (Jeep TJ Jeep XJ and SWB Pajero now) I needed 4x4 around 10% of the time and low range around 30 times ! 99% of people dont really need a 4x4 but rather a vehicle that rides a bit higher , but I suppose its "cool" to have a 4x4.
    Thats true, but when you need it, you need it. I am happy to have 4x4 and I do mostly road travel, but when I tow my boat on the beach or go on an off road trip, then I want to know that my car will get me home. So 4x4 it is.

Quote Originally Posted by stephenplumb View Post
    Thats true, but when you need it, you need it. I am happy to have 4x4 and I do mostly road travel, but when I tow my boat on the beach or go on an off road trip, then I want to know that my car will get me home. So 4x4 it is.
    100% thats why I also have one , but its this chaps first remember 4x4 is more costly to maintain than a 4x2 so perhaps that is all he needs? I dont know this vehicle but assume its based on bakkie with low range included , but if the price is good then yes go for it
    Pajero 3.2 DID Gen 4 Standard for now
    Platcar Alfa Giulietta 1.4 MA
    Swambo Volvo S40 T5

First time 4x4 buyer - is a dark grey SUV a bad idea?

No it is not - you're just gonna be washing it more often - do a dirt road, leave it outside overnight and see what it looks like once the dew dries.

Ask me - been there, washed that, got the tennis elbows...
    Ettienne de Kock

"ASK YOURSELF HOW OLD YOU'D BE IF YOU DIDN'T KNOW THE DATE YOU WERE BORN" - Toby Keith

1998 Disco Tdi
    1959 SII 88"
    1975 Land Rover Air-Portable Lightweight
    197? RRC
    AND SWAMBO's Unmentionable Abomination

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EttiennedK For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 12richardk View Post
    100% thats why I also have one , but its this chaps first remember 4x4 is more costly to maintain than a 4x2 so perhaps that is all he needs? I dont know this vehicle but assume its based on bakkie with low range included , but if the price is good then yes go for it
    Yep, it is based on the Isuzu D-Max with the same 3 litre turbodiesel engine that has been around for years. It has 4x4 low range, but I still need to confirm if this one has the read diff that was only introduced to the SA MU-X in 2019 as an optional extra. I doubt it though.

Default First time 4x4 buyer - is a dark grey SUV a bad idea?

Quote Originally Posted by ebendl View Post
    Hi all,

I'm buying my first 4x4. Since I had 3 boys who wants to camp more and more, but also a wife who doesn't want a double-cab (afraid of parking in the city), we're looking at the 7-seater SUVs. I'm buying 2nd hand, so I've looked at Fortuners, Ford Everests, Pajero Sports and the Isuzu MU-X, from 2016 onwards.

This morning I got a good deal on a 2019 MU-X, 4x4 automatic, with only 12,000km on the clock. No scratches major problems, still has the warranty and service plan active. I don't think the guy ever took it out of the city.

I however plan on taking it off-road, so this is where the problem comes in - it is dark grey. See pic.

My gut tells me a shouldn't buy a dark grey 4x4 because the bush will scratch the hell out of it. Am I being stupid?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MU-X.png 
Views:	397 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	616889
    Your gut feel is the correct choice for you.
    Last edited by Therackermann; 2021/05/28 at 10:07 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast