Default Amarok biturbo auto mileage

Hi,

I really like the look of the Amarok and heard its quite comfortable. I drive a 2014 Fortuner with 160k on the clock. The Amarok is automatic and has 198k on the clock.

What service would be next and any upcoming maintenance costs pricey? Would you trade the tuna for the amarok?

Default Re: Amarok biturbo auto mileage

If your budget can reach to a V6 tdi, go for it! Just took delivery of a 2L 132kw bitdi and loving the ride quality and responsiveness.

2001 Toyota Hilux 3.0L KZ-TE 4x4 Raider d/c >
    with some extra bits...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PolarBear For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PolarBear View Post
    If your budget can reach to a V6 tdi, go for it! Just took delivery of a 2L 132kw bitdi and loving the ride quality and responsiveness.
    Definitely not afford a v6. I want to see if I can do a straight swap. Glad to here you enjoy the Amarok, consider the mileage of nearly 200k a problem? How is the maintenance costs?

Quote Originally Posted by Spatanky View Post
    Hi,

I really like the look of the Amarok and heard its quite comfortable. I drive a 2014 Fortuner with 160k on the clock. The Amarok is automatic and has 198k on the clock.

What service would be next and any upcoming maintenance costs pricey? Would you trade the tuna for the amarok?
    My amarock is on 320k km, but I would not swap a lower milage fortuner on a higher milage amarok unless i really needed a double cab. I love my little wagon, but there is nothing wrong with the fortuner and I would keep it as it is a known quantity to you.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to stephenplumb For This Useful Post:

I did a lot of research, but cannot co.ment on service cost just yet.

In my opinion the 132kw 2L is strong enough for most applications. I find that it can accelerate in just about any gear - even 6th!

Coming from a 2001 hilux the ride quality is like nothing else.

2001 Toyota Hilux 3.0L KZ-TE 4x4 Raider d/c >
    with some extra bits...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PolarBear For This Useful Post:

We have 2 Amaroks. 2013 manual wirh 315000km and 2015 auto with 155 000km. Service intervals are 15000km. Thus you next service is on 210000km. I service self. 1700.00 for a full service kit. Oil. Oil filter. Air filter. Pollin filter. Fuel filter. I shall also not change from the Fortuner to the Amarok. You know what you have and do not know what you are going to get. Unless you need a DC.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Erwin Schimper For This Useful Post:

Wasn't there a timing belt and tensioner change recommended every 100k km or so?

If you find a good independent VW workshop, service costs should be reasonable.
    VW dealership workshops can be quite a bit more expensive and the quality in workmanship doesn't necessarily reflect that.

In general those Amaroks are well built and last very well. The Amarok's ride is very good - for a bakkie.
    I have never owned a Fortuner, but my FJ's ride quality is better than that of the Amarok I had before.

Whenever you buy a 2nd hand vehicle, you potentially buy another man's problems.
    You do know what you got with your Fortuner, I guess.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

12. The Following User Says Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

As mentioned, next service will be cambelt (and waterpump if you so choose), and tensioner belt. This is a big service for the Amarok.

I did the cambelt and waterpump change in March last year at 100,000km for R7,000 odd including VAT at my indy. This excludes service costs, as the service was done at 105,000km.

Check if the EGR is still in the vehicle, if so check that it does not leak, if it does, get it out.

At that mileage you might have a lot of things to replace depending on the maintenance done on the vehicle.

Things like shocks might need replacing, brake discs / pads.

Try and find out if the gearbox oil has ever been replaced, I usually do that as well every 100,000km.

Would be good to replace diff oil if that hasn't been done recently.

So basically, try and find out what type of maintenance was done (especially after the service plan, if it had one).

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JS-V8 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JS-V8 View Post
    As mentioned, next service will be cambelt (and waterpump if you so choose), and tensioner belt. This is a big service for the Amarok.

I did the cambelt and waterpump change in March last year at 100,000km for R7,000 odd including VAT at my indy. This excludes service costs, as the service was done at 105,000km.

Check if the EGR is still in the vehicle, if so check that it does not leak, if it does, get it out.

At that mileage you might have a lot of things to replace depending on the maintenance done on the vehicle.

Things like shocks might need replacing, brake discs / pads.

Try and find out if the gearbox oil has ever been replaced, I usually do that as well every 100,000km.

Would be good to replace diff oil if that hasn't been done recently.

So basically, try and find out what type of maintenance was done (especially after the service plan, if it had one).
    Ok thanks, yes I will investigate if I go that route. Taken to hart the advice here. Will have to think hard if the hassles will be worth it.

One thing though, don't think the Amarok's bi-turbo arrangement is more complicated and therefore less reliable or more prone to fail than the single turbo on the D4D. VW uses 2 turbo chargers, one for low RPM and one for higher RPM, but the turbos are quite simple, while the D4D has got a turbo with variable nozzle technology to cover a larger RPM range of efficiency, which in itself is a bit more complicated.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

17. The Following User Says Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

Hi,

I've got a 132kw 2.0L auto with 191k km. Did the cambelt, water pump, alternator, power steering pump at 180k km with service of cabin air filter, engine air filter, oil filter, oil, at Steve auto clinic for about R30k , won't need any of this other than regular service for next 6-8 years or 90-120k km.

I did the zf gearbox service at 170k km (suppose to be 120k km) at ZF edenvale last year Feb for R3000.

I think service cost is very reasonable, I don't own any toyotas so can't compare, but our family do have 3 Lexus (RX, Nx, Is), and service cost is quite close (R2000-3500 for small service and R4-6000 for bigger with cabin and air filters etc).

I'm driving this amarok to the ground. So far very reliable. I'm in construction so I often carry 1-1.2 tons, no problem for this tiny engine. I get about 8L/100km on empty load.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ILikePie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JS-V8 View Post
    As mentioned, next service will be cambelt (and waterpump if you so choose), and tensioner belt. This is a big service for the Amarok.I did the cambelt and waterpump change in March last year at 100,000km for R7,000 odd including VAT at my indy. This excludes service costs, as the service was done at 105,000km.Check if the EGR is still in the vehicle, if so check that it does not leak, if it does, get it out.At that mileage you might have a lot of things to replace depending on the maintenance done on the vehicle.Things like shocks might need replacing, brake discs / pads. Try and find out if the gearbox oil has ever been replaced, I usually do that as well every 100,000km. Would be good to replace diff oil if that hasn't been done recently. So basically, try and find out what type of maintenance was done (especially after the service plan, if it had one).
    This is spot on!
    Die reŽn is 'n dag nader as gister.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to retailer For This Useful Post:

Hi all who commented. I just wanted to update everyone. I found a better deal. 2015 Biturbo Auto with 166k on the clock. Paid 265k here in Nam.
    Only issue is it has the 19" rims. Gosh tyres are expensive.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Spatanky For This Useful Post:

Hi all who commented. I just wanted to update everyone. I found a better deal. 2015 Biturbo Auto with 166k on the clock. Paid 265k here in Nam.
    congrats!!

2017 VW Amarok 3.0 TDi V6 4Motion D/Cab
    2020 VW T Cross Highline R Line
    2019 Bushlapa Miskruier 1616

25. The Following User Says Thank You to hein100 For This Useful Post:

Congratulations. I'm glad for you. Get a set of 17" rims and you got a much bigger choice of more affordable tyres.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    Congratulations. I'm glad for you. Get a set of 17" rims and you got a much bigger choice of more affordable tyres.
    Thanks and yes definitely looking on the second hand market for 17's, hopefully I find someone who wants 19's here in Namibia