Default 3.O Everest start up issue...Help!

its winter again, and so Evie starts to show her age....

Its as if its only in cold weather that we struggle to get her started.

In the mornings we turn the key.......and nothing....!!!

Engine doesn't turn over. After a couple of attempts of ignition off and then on again, eventually she gets life and turns and start no problem.

What has also been happening more often of late, she would just cut out whilst driving, as if she is fuel starved. We pull over. Turn the key, engine just swings, strong, but not take.

Again this morning, my wife dropped the kids off, I get a call, Evie doesn't want to start!!!

Even after priming its a struggle..

Seems to be fuel delivery related...

any takers on the matter?

2009 Ford Everest.

Default Re: 3.O Everest start up issue...Help!

since you mention the problem occurs in the cold- could be faulty glow plugs or another sensor of some kind

Mr. Karol Joszkowski
    2011 VW Touareg V.8 TDI
    2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi air suspension aka Pumba ( sold)
    2003 Pajero IO 2.0 aka Bosvark

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Karol For This Useful Post:

Sounds to me like a loose connection on a wire somewhere...... Battery terminals clean and bolts tight?
    2019 Ford Everest 3.2 4x4 Limited
    2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 8) (Ex)
    2012 Ford Ranger 3.2 XLT M/T D/C 4x4 (Ex)

I had a similar issue a couple months ago on my ranger. Starter sometimes would simply not click and swing. Then after a couple attempts it would jump to life and swing. This however did not just happen when cold, it was intermittent. So in the end the workshop took off the starter and sent it to an auto electrical place for testing - turned out the solenoid was not up to scratch anymore and that was replaced.

Works perfect now again.
    Last edited by WAJ; 2021/06/01 at 02:09 PM.
    Willem

Ford Ranger 3.0Tdci Super Cab 4x4
    (workshop whore)

I have had a similar thing with my 3.0 everest once or twice, randomly, in the past.
    Mine has always been a sluggish starter first thing in the morning though... right from new

I solved the starting issues by fitting a slightly larger capacity battery and a second earth strap direct from the battery -ve to the intake manifold.
    Also keep the battery terminals clean... as soon as she sounds a bit more sluggish than normal in the morning I clean the terminals now.

I think what is happening is that the OEM earth is either to small or not well placed (have not actually found the OEM earth strap on the engine) leading to a larger than tolerated voltage drop at the glowplugs and starter. Combine this with dirty battery terminals and the situation becomes worse.

Since I fitted the extra earth strap I have not had the problem again and starting is crisp.

The other potential culprits could be the ignition switch or the receiver for the alarm system which is located right at the switch.

Good luck with chasing the gremlin.....

W

Second the above, over the years I've owned my BT-50 I have done the following due to hesitant / non starting;

2 x new batteries
    Rebuilt starter motor
    New starter motor

Various trips to auto electrician to check immobiliser, key battery, fuses etc etc

It eventually cut out and died completely while driving about 2 months ago.

New battery wiring and earth straps and it is like a brand new vehicle.

Had similar issues with a Defender 90 and it was also earth straps that eventually solved the issue.
    Andrew

2010 Mazda BT-50 3.0 CRDi

Well, I am glad its not only me then!! haha

Thanks all, will get stuck into a few things today, see if that can resolve the issue.

I believe the issue with her just cutting out mid ride has been identified. I had the Race Chip fitted a couple years ago, and think this may have been the culprit. As soon as I unplugged and gave it a good rush of air, she fired up. Since then, taken the Race Chip off the system and has not given me trouble since.

now its just the absolute deadness(if that is even a word) in the cold mornings. Clean terminals and earth is my 1st go-to attempt...

I would guess a sticky solenoid.

Get the starter off and take out the solenoid.
    Clean out any muck in there.
    Give it a good spray of Uniglide. Q20 etc, will temp help. But it leaves no slick residual. Uniglide does.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252