Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Disco 1 300tdi oil usage

Hello everyone

Need some advice. The car is using more and more oil. Did Khutse to Piper with no oil used and the from there I had to add 500ml at Deception camp. Drove 700km home and had to add oil again. Car doesn’t smoke more than just accelerating and cold start. Head gasket was done 2000km ago but the “reputable” workshop did not set the valves correctly and brushed me off. Had it set by someone else.

Car did not use much oil before the head gasket went.

Could it be the rings? I have a little bit of blowback but the cap is not blown off.
    I use Ravenol 15W40 mineral oil.

Default Re: Disco 1 300tdi oil usage

Mine generally doesn't use oil but when heavily loaded and pushing it a bit, I tend to see an increase in oil consumption.
    Last edited by jfh; 2021/05/26 at 07:58 PM.
    '07 Land Rover Defender 110 TDI 300 Kalahari (Meisiekind˛)
    '84 Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work.
    The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jfh For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jfh View Post
    Mine generally doesn't use oil but when heavily loaded and pushing it a bit, I tend to see an increase in oil consumption.
    So unloaded no issues? Come to think of it I did have a bit of above my average usage before the trip as well.

On our defender it was the rear crank seal causing high oil usage. Ours gradually started using more oil and I started thinking it's burning it up because there was no apparent leak that I could see. Eventually it was using 500ml+ oil per 400km with no excess smoke or anything. And then it started covering the rear door and windows in oil mist/spray on the open road. After replacing it the defender hardly uses any oil

Quote Originally Posted by Eighty2_ZA View Post
    On our defender it was the rear crank seal causing high oil usage. Ours gradually started using more oil and I started thinking it's burning it up because there was no apparent leak that I could see. Eventually it was using 500ml+ oil per 400km with no excess smoke or anything. And then it started covering the rear door and windows in oil mist/spray on the open road. After replacing it the defender hardly uses any oil
    Thank you for this. I do have a leak as well in my rear crank seal but its not leaving puddles under the car.

Had a check today and there was quite a bit of oil in the intake pipe to the turbo (something like that).

Kudos

On the driver side of the motor - about in the middle is a black cylinder - called an oil separator

the bottom has a pipe that drains back into the sump and the other one goes around the back to connect to the intake pipe you mentioned

take that oil seperator out , disconnect the pipes and give it a good clean with paraffin or similar

That can get all gooey and block up a bit

make SURE that the black cylinder has not even a smell of whatever you use to clean it with before you put it back

Then also clean that top pipe that connects to the intake pipe as well - so any residual oil in it doesnt cloud your judgement going forward

Make EXTRA EXTRA sure that there isnt a wiff of whatever you used to clean that with else you will see 4 00 gazillion rpm on that motor

Then that oil residue could have been there for ages - the intake stuff I mean

While you at it pull the bottom pipe as well just to make sure it isnt blocked or crimped where it joins the block / sump

Turbo might be on the way out.
    Take off pipe from airbox to turbo and inspect impeller with phone camera for wear, and wiggle turbo shaft side to side and in and out looking for looseness
    Also look at the pipe you took off. Lots of oil in there indicates it's from the breather indicating rings. A little oil (there will always be some) indicates a good motor

If turbo, just do a cheap cartridge. Under 2k
    Rob
    Defender 90 pickup. Lexus V8, Spitronics, 33" KL71, beadlocks, +2" Terrafirma, ATB's, 3.75 CW&P, 1.21 TC.
    Disco 3 SE TDV6
    Disco 2 ES TD5. Custom map, V8 TC
    Subaru impreza WRX
    Porsche Boxster S
    Shamrock Cobra 350
    Buell XB12R

Thanks a lot for the advice!! Appreciate it. Will have a look at it for sure

Quote Originally Posted by RossJ View Post
    Kudos

On the driver side of the motor - about in the middle is a black cylinder - called an oil separator

the bottom has a pipe that drains back into the sump and the other one goes around the back to connect to the intake pipe you mentioned

take that oil seperator out , disconnect the pipes and give it a good clean with paraffin or similar

That can get all gooey and block up a bit

make SURE that the black cylinder has not even a smell of whatever you use to clean it with before you put it back

Then also clean that top pipe that connects to the intake pipe as well - so any residual oil in it doesnt cloud your judgement going forward

Make EXTRA EXTRA sure that there isnt a wiff of whatever you used to clean that with else you will see 4 00 gazillion rpm on that motor

Then that oil residue could have been there for ages - the intake stuff I mean

While you at it pull the bottom pipe as well just to make sure it isnt blocked or crimped where it joins the block / sump
    So I replaced the Syclone breather, cleaned the pipe that runs down into the engine block. The pipe that runs into the intake spits oil out while running. Just to see if there is a blockage I blew down the pipe running into the engine block and I could hear the bubbles. Isn't the oil supposed to be running back into the sump from where it enters the engine block again? It seems to be gathered where it enters the engine block. I can only see black smoke when accelerating and no white or blue smoke. I cannot see an oil leak anywhere. But tested car again and oil was gone after 400km of highway driving.

Turbo was reconned 3 weeks ago.

So you're getting oil coming out of the positive crankcase vent valve pipe to the inlet manifold? And you're still using oil?

This is caused by excessive crank pressure. This is caused by bad rings or glazed cylinders. The reworked head has increased this effect as you now have more compression.

Sorry.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Just to stir a little. The is a kit that takes it to 2.8 ltr.
    Four wheels move the body,
    Landys move the soul.
    Current: Discovery 2 td5.
    Next landy, D3 V8 HSE Previous one.D1 v8i D1 300 TDi donkey, D1 V8 Fuel THIEF!!! freelander 1, biggest pos known to man,

Quote Originally Posted by Sam vd Merwe View Post
    https://www.mdengineering.co.uk/inte...-2-8l-300-tdi/
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

I know of one or two blokes that has both and their opinion is a 300Tdi with a uprated turbo is cheaper for the same performance.
    '07 Land Rover Defender 110 TDI 300 Kalahari (Meisiekind˛)
    '84 Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work.
    The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing.

Rentec's reputation has dipped a bit. That being said....probably better than a corner workshop. Let LRextreme advise you.
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Rentec's reputation has dipped a bit. That being said....probably better than a corner workshop. Let LRextreme advise you.
    Thanks Jelo. So is it possible to re-sleeve an engine that's been re-bored before?

Quote Originally Posted by Kudus View Post
    Thanks Jelo. So is it possible to re-sleeve an engine that's been re-bored before?
    Oh absolutely. They just rebored the existing sleeve.

The process now is to press out the old sleeves, heat the block, chill the new sleeves and join them by force.
    Then mill the block and sleeve face, and off you go (with another 100 steps as per the workshop manual).

This is a sleeve:

Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Oh absolutely. They just rebored the existing sleeve.

The process now is to press out the old sleeves, heat the block, chill the new sleeves and join them by force.
    Then mill the block and sleeve face, and off you go (with another 100 steps as per the workshop manual).

This is a sleeve:

That sounds easy like you described it. But its a complex job. Lol
    Four wheels move the body,
    Landys move the soul.
    Current: Discovery 2 td5.
    Next landy, D3 V8 HSE Previous one.D1 v8i D1 300 TDi donkey, D1 V8 Fuel THIEF!!! freelander 1, biggest pos known to man,

Yes, and it needs a proper engineering shop...........

LRExtreme will farm it out. That includes hone or bore to standard oversize spec.
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

LOL, yes sure but Jelo knows how limited my knowledge is by now so he has to break it down real simple for me to get it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast