Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: Disco 1 300tdi oil usage

I’ll just tell you rather where the car is at the moment then you can tell me if they would do a good job or not and whether they care enough. It is at LRXtreme. Org is involved with my car from what I gather.

So they will open up and see what is wrong and give me a quote.
    Would like your opinions on the quote as soon as I get it please.

No compression test was done. I wondered why not??
    Last edited by Kudus; 2021/08/13 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kudus View Post
    I’ll just tell you rather where the car is at the moment then you can tell me if they would do a good job or not and whether they care enough. It is at LRXtreme. Org is involved with my car from what I gather.

So they will open up and see what is wrong and give me a quote.
    Would like your opinions on the quote as soon as I get it please.

No compression test was done. I wondered why not??
    Should be fine. LRXtreme is fairly competent. A compression test would not offer much info beyond confirming what they already suspect: worn rings or a worn cylinder.........
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Should be fine. LRXtreme is fairly competent. A compression test would not offer much info beyond confirming what they already suspect: worn rings or a worn cylinder.........
    That word “fairly” concerns me. Would’ve preferred to hear “extremely”. I’m telling you guys, this has been a journey.

That word “fairly” concerns me. Would’ve preferred to hear “extremely”. I’m telling you guys, this has been a journey.
    No independent workshop is perfect...........but they have a decent reputation.
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    No independent workshop is perfect...........but they have a decent reputation.
    Ok, I understand. Thanks for explaining

Can somebody educate me please. I’m just getting all my ducks in a row before I het the news from the technicians.

Why do we want to re-sleeve rather than rebore?

Although the maintenance manual states that there are 2 oversize sized pistons available, you can only get the 20 thou (maximum) pistons size for sale.

That means you will have to bore the original sleeves maximum if it's out of tolerance.
    You will gain some power but might have a heat problem if the cooling system is compromised.

It's just preference.
    With both you will have to do machining.

The sleeves should be cheaper than the new pistons.

Have the con rods crack tested, I know of 3 that pushed through the block, but it's rather rare.
    '07 Land Rover Defender 110 TDI 300 Kalahari (Meisiekind²)
    '84 Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work.
    The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by jfh View Post
    Although the maintenance manual states that there are 2 oversize sized pistons available, you can only get the 20 thou (maximum) pistons size for sale.

That means you will have to bore the original sleeves maximum if it's out of tolerance.
    You will gain some power but might have a heat problem if the cooling system is compromised.

It's just preference.

Have the con rods crack tested, I know of 3 that pushed through the block, but it's rather rare.
    Thank you for explaining. Really appreciate it

Just to stir a little. The is a kit that takes it to 2.8 ltr.
    Four wheels move the body,
    Landys move the soul.
    Current: Discovery 2 td5.
    Next landy, D3 V8 HSE Previous one.D1 v8i D1 300 TDi donkey, D1 V8 Fuel THIEF!!! freelander 1, biggest pos known to man,

Quote Originally Posted by Sam vd Merwe View Post
    https://www.mdengineering.co.uk/inte...-2-8l-300-tdi/
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by Sam vd Merwe View Post
    I know of one or two blokes that has both and their opinion is a 300Tdi with a uprated turbo is cheaper for the same performance.
    '84 Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work.

Can somebody educate me please. I’m just getting all my ducks in a row before I het the news from the technicians.

Why do we want to re-sleeve rather than rebore?
    when I did mine I re board, and went 10 tho KS Pistons to me if sleeves were ok and could bore then that way I went
    one thing very very important when rebuilding the 300TDi is check bearing with plastique guage don’t trust engineering shops they can make mistakes, and also check piston protrusion for the correct head gasket
    1995 300TDi Defender with VGT Turbo (stolen by my son now )
    2002 Defender with LS1 MS3 ECU, 4L80e, LT230 1.222, Lockers and HD CW&P, 35" with 4" Lift
    2005 Defender TD5

Quote Originally Posted by clivemd View Post
    when I did mine I re board, and went 10 tho KS Pistons to me if sleeves were ok and could bore then that way I went
    one thing very very important when rebuilding the 300TDi is check bearing with plastique guage don’t trust engineering shops they can make mistakes, and also check piston protrusion for the correct head gasket
    You were very lucky to get 10thou.

You were very lucky to get 10thou.
    sorry you right was 20 tho was thinking of another engine did
    1995 300TDi Defender with VGT Turbo (stolen by my son now )
    2002 Defender with LS1 MS3 ECU, 4L80e, LT230 1.222, Lockers and HD CW&P, 35" with 4" Lift
    2005 Defender TD5

15. The Following User Says Thank You to clivemd For This Useful Post:

jfh

It's just preference.

To add to this and also clivemd's post later down the thread.

The RAVE states there are two oversizes: first oversize is 10 thou, second oversize is 20 thou. However, to the best of my knowledge, KS (and other aftermarket) pistons are available in standard, 20 thou and 40 thou (you will see this on Turner's website if you doubt). So it seems you can bore out to 40 thou but that's not what RAVE says, so it's not up to spec.

Hence also be EXTREMELY careful when giving instructions to an engineering shop about this. If you use the RAVE's measurements for first oversize and then buy (alleged) first-oversize KS pistons you will have bored out to 10 thou and fitted 20 thou pistons. Big problem.

As clivemd says, check all measurements RELATIVE to each other, not just to the specs.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to antvz For This Useful Post:

jfh

It's just preference.

I'm in danger of hijacking a thread here, but perhaps it's of relevance to the OP in deciding whether to rebore or resleeve.

Can you explain why 20 thou oversize is such an issue in terms of possible overheating? I've heard many experienced mechanics say the same as you (jfh). I remember doing the calculation at the time, and I've just done it again to refresh my memory. Going up to 20 thou oversize is about a 2% increase in displacement, so if it was a 2.5 litre it's now a 2.55 litre engine. Surely this would be only a couple of kW extra if anything - is that really enough to cause overheating?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to antvz For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by antvz View Post
    I'm in danger of hijacking a thread here, but perhaps it's of relevance to the OP in deciding whether to rebore or resleeve.

Can you explain why 20 thou oversize is such an issue in terms of possible overheating? I've heard many experienced mechanics say the same as you (jfh). I remember doing the calculation at the time, and I've just done it again to refresh my memory. Going up to 20 thou oversize is about a 2% increase in displacement, so if it was a 2.5 litre it's now a 2.55 litre engine. Surely this would be only a couple of kW extra if anything - is that really enough to cause overheating?
    It not the 2 percent in displacement that it the bugger. The sleeve wall is much thinner and will heat up quickly. If the cooling system is not 100 percent it will run hotter.
    Four wheels move the body,
    Landys move the soul.
    Current: Discovery 2 td5.
    Next landy, D3 V8 HSE Previous one.D1 v8i D1 300 TDi donkey, D1 V8 Fuel THIEF!!! freelander 1, biggest pos known to man,

I'm always playing save when it comes to engine rebuilding.

On some engines if you loose 10% of the cooling system's efficiency it will overheat even on standard displacement.
    That little increase in displacement also increases the heat.

As I said earlier this is a preference thing.
    If I had to rebuild my 300Tdi I will resleeve.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to jfh For This Useful Post:

Thank you all. It helps to read your advice. I must add that its all a bit overwhelming reading the technical terms but I am at least understanding the theory of what you are saying.

only problem is I will not be checking this or checking that and am in the unfortunate position to have to trust the guys working on it to check. I don’t have the tools, knowledge or means (distance from where I am to where they are) to check all these things. Or can I ask for a report?

If they get it wrong I am properly screwed. Will probably light a mach and say goodbye if they do.

So from what you all are saying is if needs be I’ll just play it safe and ask for re-sleeve? Less chance of getting it wrong.

Update

They will give me a report tomorrow but I just want to be ready. So far it looks like that the engine was re-bored to 20thou already and it has deep grooves in the cylinder.

1. So even though it was bored already can I still re-sleeve it?
    2. I hear people talk about importing Jap engines. Will this be a better option for me? Advice needed please?
    3. will it be cost affective (including reliability in future) to restore this engine or should I go for a Remtek (or any other) refurbished engine?

It seems like this engine might have had a hard life already.

Once again, thank you to everybody that is always pitching in with their knowledge.
    Last edited by Kudus; 2021/08/25 at 03:49 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast