Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Canopy for overlanding

Good day all

Trust all is well.

I am currently in the process of searching for a canopy for my 2013 Toyota Hilux Dakar D/C.

In future the canopy must be fitted with a rooftop tent, awning, drawer systems etc.

Kanopi (quite new to the game when taking Alucab, RSI etc into consideration) has a very good special and has a nice look to it. R20k for Stainless steel Canopy, with side doors and roof rack matched to my color.

Any reasons I should not go for it and rather look at another brand like Wild or Groundzero? Or anything else?

Thank you in advance

Default Re: Canopy for overlanding

bushtec - tygerberg karavane in Brackenfell,
    rugged design - Brackenfell,
    Eko Veld Gear - Xtreme offroad Group
    Go Mad.
    Alucab.

My opinie is om te kyk na material diktes en support raam binne. Van die duurder fabrikate het rating to 500kg's. Maak net seker jou keuse nie net 'n mooi lyk kappie is nie en dat dit wel 'n funksionele kappie is vir jou planne.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dwayne P For This Useful Post:

Also look at GZ Canopies.

https://www.gzcanopies.com/

My dad had one made recently. Albeit only the base model, but there are many other more premium options.

Bushtech canopy kry my stem

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boslover For This Useful Post:

If it is primarily only for overlanding, Bushtech gets my vote as well. A whole host of optional add-ons available for the canopy, 10 year warranty, etc. etc.

I personally went for the RSI over the Bushtech, for looks and looks alone on my vehicle.
    Mike

Out in the bush!

2012 Amarok with a transfer case
    1956 Series 1 (now in boxes, Covid delayed the rebuild)
    1999 Land Cruiser 105 EFI

I have a 2019 RSI, very happy, good build, great after sales service. Two friends have fitted the Wild Aluminium canopy and are very happy, and very light. I would probably fit a Wild next time as well. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210528-172740_Facebook.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	616894
    "If you spend most of your time in the library in the fiction section, your thoughts and decisions will be based on fiction"

Luka Geertsema

Interesting, I also have an RSI and enjoy both the product and the custmer service. Why would you consider the Wild next time...just interested thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luka View Post
    I have a 2019 RSI, very happy, good build, great after sales service. Two friends have fitted the Wild Aluminium canopy and are very happy, and very light. I would probably fit a Wild next time as well. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210528-172740_Facebook.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	616894

Quote Originally Posted by ccdejager View Post
    Good day all

Trust all is well.

I am currently in the process of searching for a canopy for my 2013 Toyota Hilux Dakar D/C.

In future the canopy must be fitted with a rooftop tent, awning, drawer systems etc.

Kanopi (quite new to the game when taking Alucab, RSI etc into consideration) has a very good special and has a nice look to it. R20k for Stainless steel Canopy, with side doors and roof rack matched to my color.

Any reasons I should not go for it and rather look at another brand like Wild or Groundzero? Or anything else?

Thank you in advance
    all depends on your future plans with the inside of the canopy i have seen some awesome DIY from some guys here making their own inserts ect. the Kanopi looks really good

i just got my bushtec for my Ranger this week i went for it because of their extra's and warranty

You can also have a look at the RLD Canopy.

Quote Originally Posted by TOY4X4 View Post
    Interesting, I also have an RSI and enjoy both the product and the custmer service. Why would you consider the Wild next time...just interested thanks.
    Weight!
    "If you spend most of your time in the library in the fiction section, your thoughts and decisions will be based on fiction"

Luka Geertsema

Busy with the same exercise now. Here is my 2c.

RLD - really like them. Expensive,yes but a really nice canopy. Read some mixed reviews so not sure yet

Kanopi - Well priced and looks like a decent design. I donít like the paint they use as it looks like a generic white that doesnít match well with the vehicle. Donít wanna go black due to temperature. They currently have a special that includes the roof rack for free

LED fly - Cannot fault them. Prices between Bushtec and Kanopi. Need to visit them though to view one

Rhinoman - Also a great canopy from what I can find. Expensive similar prices to RLD

RSI - Probably the best. Great design and look. Expect them to be expensive but will only know once they finally decide to forward me the information

Bushtec - Not the best looking in my opinion but best value I think. Bit of a box design but sturdy. I like the rubber between the canopy and bin that they use as well as the mounting for a Hilux (not sure of other brands). They utilise the four mounting points as anchors for the bracket. 10 year warranty with 10 year once a year service included.

My input from research looking at various brands.
    Pieter le Roux

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Redman For This Useful Post:

Lol, my thinking as well.
    Weight!

Pretoria / Motopi Village, Northern Botswana

Busy looking at replacing my "Kanopi" canopy with (possibly) a Bushtech...on my double cab hilux gd6...
    Last edited by Trevor_Mathews; 2021/05/29 at 07:07 PM.
    2018 2.8 Gd6 Hilux DAKAR with extras
    2012 Bushlapa Miskruier

Something you may consider, is to look at how the doors/windows open. Most will open and leave a gap at the top where dust and/or water can run down into the canopy when opened. I know that the Rhino has a "system" where it seals at the top. If I look at some of the pictures, it looks like others are starting to do the same.
    Live life to the fullest....no matter what!

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daniek For This Useful Post:

Don't get me wrong, an amazing canopy, it has a rating of 250kg on top, should you want too, color coded.... I need a few guys you take it off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor_Mathews View Post
    Busy looking at replacing my "Kanopi" canopy with (possibly) a Bushtech...on my double cab hilux gd6...

Luka Geertsema

Weight!
    And the weight on your wallet as well - they have become really expensive!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to hatjohan For This Useful Post:

I am really happy with the Bushtech on my Isuzu. Excellent product, and I've taken it for its annual service - very impressed with the workshop and all the optional extras.

It's not the best looking (RSI Smartcap is the best looking in my view), but for a quality/service/price combo it's hard to beat the Bushtech.

Edit: Also add the dust kit. I have ZERO dust in the bak.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1600424823783.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	616966

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1600424841317.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	616967

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1600424832035.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	616968
    Last edited by Groenman; 2021/05/29 at 09:24 PM.
    Stephan G

4x4: 2018 Isuzu KB250 D-Teq 4x4 DC
    Platkar: 2019 Suzuki Baleno GLX

"All of us get lost in the darkness. Dreamers learn to steer by the stars"

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Groenman For This Useful Post:

LedFly Canopies
    www.ledflycanopies.co.za

3CR12 Stainless steel from R19 900
    Aluminium from R21 500
    Powder coating std incl. front sliding window and rear tinted window.
    Optional extras:
    Kitchen unit (std or custom)
    Utility box
    Anti Theft security mesh
    270į Swing Shade Awning
    Roof Rack
    Deck slider
    LED interior lights
    Side slide or solid windows
    Roof mounted drop out table combo

National & International sales Office
    +27 72 484 1253
    [email protected]

Saw a Wild Canopy over the weekend on a Ranger. Spoke to the owner and he is happy as can be. Waiting for feedback from them, but I was quite impressed with it myself

Just realized again that being able to look at a product and talk to the owner is perhaps the best way to get the info you want (no offense to the forum and Google).

Talked to a guy at Toeka Padstal with a LED Fly and it was great to hear what he likes and dislikes. Something that would be very difficult to convey here.

And most guys seems very keen to discuss their canopy and show you what they like and don't like.

On another note. Bushtec seems like a great option. I've just requested a quite and the still follow up if there is anything they can help with or something I did not like. Invited me to a showroom visit to address all concerns. Oposite from RSI who could care less about returning phone calls or emailing you a quote.
    Pieter le Roux

Quote Originally Posted by Redman View Post
    Oposite from RSI who could care less about returning phone calls or emailing you a quote.
    Interesting. I looked on the RSI website, phoned the Pinetown office to clarify a few points. Was told that I can only order an Extended Cab canopy from the Cape Town office? Asked how I get this fitted in Jo'Burg and was told a distributor here would do that. Gave one of them a call only to be told that RSI do not make an EC canopy for a Toyota? Seriously if you are going to take 30 k out of my pocket you will need to try harder than that.

Eventually searched 4 X 4 and found this thread. Thanks. Phoned Wild and if the canopy is as good as the customer service I'll buy their canopy.
    "Never give up! Even Moses was a basket case."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast