Thread: Wheat

Default Wheat

Does anyone know where to find a sustainable source of wheat? I am battling to identify possible sources. Not the little packets by the soup dry goods section. 2,5kg upwards

I have tried health shops, food markets, etc.

The internet only show sources for bulk purchasing, not the occassional bag.
    Aristotle wrote; ''Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution. It represents the wise choice of many alternatives. Choice, not chance, determines your destiny''

Default Re: Wheat

We get our grains etc from Yellow Submarine in Ottery, Cape Town https://yellowsubmarinefoods.co.za/
    Not sure if they ship to your neck of the woods, it's a fairly small family-run enterprise.
    Tony Weaver
    2010 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 3.2l diesel
    Previously
    1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line 3.5l V8; 1968 2.25l Land Rover SII; 1969 2.6l SIIA; 1973 2.25l SIII
    1983 Toyota HiLux 2l 4x4

Thanks Tony. I see all sorts of delights there, but sadly no wheat.
    Aristotle wrote; ''Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution. It represents the wise choice of many alternatives. Choice, not chance, determines your destiny''

Have you tried Bio-Wheat from Golden Reef?

Search Bio-Wheat and you can find a retailer near you, or you can search the products and order online.

Thanks. Looks like Glenfair Spar might carry it. I will explore that.

Emmie - you got me what on earth are you wanting to use it for specifically?
    Flying Spaghetti Monster

ZS1ETphonehome

Would malted wheat work? Because if so, homebrew shops typically sell it on the cheap. Beerplus in Cape Town sells it by the 25kg bag: https://www.beerplus.co.za/product/w...-25kg/1695/161

Shipping is R175 to Gauteng for a bag. Ensure you purchase unmilled.

Wheat kernels are the biologically stable form of storage for wheat.

In fact, it's so stable, they were able to sprout some of the wheat that were in a Pharoah's tomb a few thousand years later.

We like to mill the wheat into flour, bleach it and then let it lie to cure it before it is packaged for distribution and storage.

The moment the wheat is milled it oxidizes and the more volatile nutrients are lost in the first few hours.

I don't know if you have ever eaten baked goods made from freshly milled flour? It's a revelation in deliciousness.

Die fyn gebak is onwerklik in die verskil in smaak. Brood is 'n openbaring.

So flour is one of those things that we are getting completely backwards in these industrialized times.

Electric mills are freely available, but we choose to eat dead flour, rather than grind on demand. It's a mystery to me why this is so. It takes all of 5 minutes, if that, to grind what you need.

Sadly, there's no education on this topic. So wheat remains a niche product and every time I think I found a sustainable source, it doesn't work out and I find myself looking for a new source.

So, for fun, deliciousness and good nutrition.

Vir die lekker Ehoffman, vir die lekker. In die maak en die eet.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Emmie L For This Useful Post:

Go to Ruto flour mills in Pretoria west and buy a bag. When ask what you want to do, you feed it to your cows, pigs, geese and what ever. Easy as that. While you there buy some straight run or cuts for your healthy pap and cattle.

Quote Originally Posted by Emmie L View Post
    Wheat kernels are the biologically stable form of storage for wheat.

In fact, it's so stable, they were able to sprout some of the wheat that were in a Pharoah's tomb a few thousand years later.

We like to mill the wheat into flour, bleach it and then let it lie to cure it before it is packaged for distribution and storage.

The moment the wheat is milled it oxidizes and the more volatile nutrients are lost in the first few hours.

I don't know if you have ever eaten baked goods made from freshly milled flour? It's a revelation in deliciousness.

Die fyn gebak is onwerklik in die verskil in smaak. Brood is 'n openbaring.

So flour is one of those things that we are getting completely backwards in these industrialized times.

Electric mills are freely available, but we choose to eat dead flour, rather than grind on demand. It's a mystery to me why this is so. It takes all of 5 minutes, if that, to grind what you need.

Sadly, there's no education on this topic. So wheat remains a niche product and every time I think I found a sustainable source, it doesn't work out and I find myself looking for a new source.

So, for fun, deliciousness and good nutrition.

Vir die lekker Ehoffman, vir die lekker. In die maak en die eet.
    And after the hot milling process has killed the flour, they have to add in nutrients, the majority of which pass through the body unabsorbed due to the flour now being inert.

Crazy
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

1981- ish Land Rover SIII S SW ''Bitsa'', powered by a Toyota 2B oil burning Wheezer

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    And after the hot milling process has killed the flour, they have to add in nutrients, the majority of which pass through the body unabsorbed due to the flour now being inert.

Crazy
    Isn't it bizarre? I just don't get it.

I would think all the grains are better if
    freshly ground dehusked wholegrains ?
    ‘ Better’ to the taste and ‘better’ nutritionally.
    As you say above true for wheat flour
    but , in past, I also found it so for
    Brown Millet porridge ( sort of ‘maltabela’ or
    ‘Mpoko’ or ‘rapoko’ etc ! )
    and for Corn/Mealie Meal ( soft ‘sadza’ , ‘bunga’ etc ) etc if such ‘flour’ left ground a touch gritty and then slowly but well cooked
    I use milk > water) & typically in a steamer.
    Havent tried in the slow cooker but
    one can also presoak overnight
    and then lightly cook in the morning.

Industry tends to de-constitute foods
    and sell us partitioned products
    Flour/bran/(wheat)germ
    Milk : Full Cream / Low Fat / Cream / butter
    etc so home DIY processings pre-empted.
    … generally its probably far more profitable,
    but there are preservation/storage and other
    industrial processing & marketing aspects .
    Last edited by BushNomad; 2022/05/22 at 05:29 AM.
    ... Land Rover Owners dont idle long ...

2002 Defender 130 DC HCPU. :
    Own the road... Any road ...
    1981 R-Rvr Classic 2-Dr 3.5L V8 :
    The Greatest Rover.
    1975 Series3 88 PUP :
    Simply ... Classic ...
    2017 Metalian Mini ...
    A Home from Home

* The Monarch of the Glen *http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...1&d=1507751251