Default sill protection for a vehicle that doesnt have mounting points for rock sliders

Hey all

I've got an Isuzu Trooper which I've been enjoying quite a bit recently, but unfortunately, as my confidence and driving skill (hopefully) increases, I've managed to get a few dings in my sills.
    Obviously the addition of rock sliders is the solution, but I've been to a few people about this and they all say the same thing... my rear trailing arms are on the frame in a spot which prevents me mounting the rear of the rock slider. So in short, if I want rock sliders, I need to redesign the rear suspension or get a different vehicle. Neither are option that I want at the moment.

Has anyone come up with alternative arrangements?

I had the thought of tig welding 2mm steel strips to the sill, along its full length, building it up to 6mm or 8mm thick. If I hit these, they should disperse the load enough to hopefully keep the sill straight(ish)

Any thoughts??

Default Re: sill protection for a vehicle that doesnt have mounting points for rock sliders

Why not modify the sliders to accommodate the suspension design?
    At least you will protect the majority of the sill then.

Default Re: sill protection for a vehicle that doesnt have mounting points for rock sliders

I dont have any sliders and the people who Ive spoken to who build custom sliders wont touch the car because of the lack of mounting point for the rear mount (again, due to the suspension design)

5mm steel plate bent to fit the sill and sika-flexed on.
    Beat-up rat rod of a '96 Nissan Patrol that bears the evidence of many wonderful adventures (and a few stupid indiscretions).

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Connan View Post
    5mm steel plate bent to fit the sill and sika-flexed on.
    thats actually not a bad idea, thanks

Most rock-slider designs for the Disco 1 and 2 only attach the slides to the body and not the chassis. They use a channel section to to fit over the sill and that spreads the load of a strike from a rock. The sill on a Disco 1 and 2 is built in a box section so this design works perfectly. I don't know what the sill on your vehicle looks like but it's a design you can look at adapting.
    The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    Suzuki SJ410 (being rebuild)
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi
    Lotus 7 (replica - not a kit)
    Freelance Photographer (part time)
    Member Of: Southern African Freelancers' Association

maybe post a picture of the chassis and suspension that is supposedly causing the issue

the clever guys will then come tell us what to do

I've taken a few pics and hopefully they come out here in the thread.

I've been looking online and it seems that anyone who has ever made sliders for the Isuzu Trooper has had to weld them to the frame and some even bolt them to the body sill too.

I still dont really know where to go from here...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1 (1).jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	157.3 KB 
ID:	617556   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1 (2).jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	160.3 KB 
ID:	617557   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1 (3).jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	155.0 KB 
ID:	617558   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1 (4).jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	170.7 KB 
ID:	617559   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1 (5).jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	119.5 KB 
ID:	617560   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1 (6).jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	150.1 KB 
ID:	617561   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1 (7).jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	142.9 KB 
ID:	617562  

Last edited by Francois Theron; 2021/06/05 at 01:26 PM.
    There is never a right time to do the wrong thing and never a wrong time to do the right thing!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

Speak to me when you're back
    That Mighty Amarok
    ---------------------------------------
    Swart Tires wat ek self gekoop het
    Pull over wat my ouma gebrei het
    Vensters waar deur ek kan sien
    Engine voor
    Exhaust agter

I stand by my first suggestion, but if for some reason you don't wat to do that, you can make brackets which sandwhich between the lower surface of the body mount ant the rubber (such that it feeds the upwards forces int to the chassis at points pretty close to the body, coupled with at least two brackets which clamp around the chassis members, so that they react the moment caused.

Note that on a vehicle like this, you cannot mount the slider to both body and chassis, as the body moves a surprising amount relative to the chassis. You also ne3d at least 10-15mm clearance between the sliders and the sills if you mount the sliders on the chassis.
    Beat-up rat rod of a '96 Nissan Patrol that bears the evidence of many wonderful adventures (and a few stupid indiscretions).

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Connan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Connan View Post
    I stand by my first suggestion, but if for some reason you don't wat to do that, you can make brackets which sandwhich between the lower surface of the body mount ant the rubber (such that it feeds the upwards forces int to the chassis at points pretty close to the body, coupled with at least two brackets which clamp around the chassis members, so that they react the moment caused.

Note that on a vehicle like this, you cannot mount the slider to both body and chassis, as the body moves a surprising amount relative to the chassis. You also ne3d at least 10-15mm clearance between the sliders and the sills if you mount the sliders on the chassis.
    I do really like your first suggestion. I'm just exploring all possibilities.
    The original idea was sliders - I'm still researching the original, but I havent written off the sika'd plates yet

Quote Originally Posted by Snyks View Post
    Speak to me when you're back
    Invite me along to another day trip and we can speak then.
    Early Aug