Default Tow Ball Snatch Vehicle Recovery is Dangerous

Never use the tow ball for recovery. You never know before, how much power will be necessary. In the Article is not just pictures and videos about what can happen... You find links to deadly accidents too.

Article:
    Don`t use the tow-ball for vehicle recovery

The article is too available in german language.

Be always careful with 4x4 recoverys - just use gear who is rated for that purpose.

trippin
    Last edited by 4x4tripping; 2021/05/24 at 05:25 PM.

Default Re: Tow Bar vehicle recovery is dangerous!

I think the proper title for this thread would be: "Tow Ball Snatch Vehicle Recovery is Dangerous".

I do not see how a normal pull-type recovery will generate enough force to snap a towball. Likewise, this all tends to depend on the type of tow-ball you're using. A goose-neck towball type thing would potentially be fine for a recovery (snatch too) provided that the rope is attached to the "goose neck" part of the fitment and not the ball itself. The standard types of towballs are no-no though. That said, I have proper recovery points on my truck. On the occasions when I have recovered people I have recovered from the recovery points and not from the towball. Maarnouwat - I make my point merely because this particular type of thread is like 2SO and it has been debated to death on this forum.

Edit: When I speak goose-neck, I mean goose-neck like so:

Name:  towbar.jpg
Views: 2759
Size:  39.7 KB
    Last edited by iandvl; 2021/05/24 at 04:45 PM.
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to iandvl For This Useful Post:

Correct, tow ball recoveries are dangerous, I use a rated Ironman tow bar insert with shackle that fits in my Burnco Bumper, nothing wrong with that.

Think this topic has been well documented and covered.

There are a few stickys which shows how dangerous tow balls are.
    2008 Ford Ranger 3.0 XLT 4x4

Amazing that there are still people who don't know this.
    Beat-up rat rod of a '96 Nissan Patrol that bears the evidence of many wonderful adventures (and a few stupid indiscretions).

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter Connan For This Useful Post:

There are new people coming into this 4x4 arena every day. How will they just know it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Connan View Post
    Choose life

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Coenoes For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Coenoes View Post
    There are new people coming into this 4x4 arena every day. How will they just know it?
    They say charity starts at home..
    There should be a rule that 4x4 salesmen should know the rules and brief the buyer.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to janseekat For This Useful Post:

Should be a sticker on the towbar or something that says do not use for recovery situations.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Walnut For This Useful Post:

Most vehicles Owners Manual specify where you can attach a tow connection. There are generally straight in line with a chassis member or reinforcing section. But many have never even opened the Owner's manual.

While there are many high quality towbars and integral bumper replacements that make it quite obvious where one can attach a shackle, I have noticed that most fitment places retain the manufacturers towing bracket(s)-for good reason. The basics should always be to attach a towrope as close as possible to a purpose made bracket attached directly to the chassis with its securing bolts positioned in shear-not in tension, not subject to a huge bending moment. The centre of a transverse beam towbar is not the best place to exert a shock load.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to rob wilson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Walnut View Post
    Should be a sticker on the towbar or something that says do not use for recovery situations.
    Right next to the sticker that says to not drink the contents of the battery...😂

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bravofox For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bravofox View Post
    Right next to the sticker that says to not drink the contents of the battery...😂
    Hahahahahaha

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Walnut For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by iandvl View Post
    I think the proper title for this thread would be: "Tow Ball Snatch Vehicle Recovery is Dangerous".

I do not see how a normal pull-type recovery will generate enough force to snap a towball. Likewise, this all tends to depend on the type of tow-ball you're using. A goose-neck towball type thing would potentially be fine for a recovery (snatch too) provided that the rope is attached to the "goose neck" part of the fitment and not the ball itself. The standard types of towballs are no-no though. That said, I have proper recovery points on my truck. On the occasions when I have recovered people I have recovered from the recovery points and not from the towball. Maarnouwat - I make my point merely because this particular type of thread is like 2SO and it has been debated to death on this forum.

Edit: When I speak goose-neck, I mean goose-neck like so:

Please be careful with correct terminology. The one you have pictured is a drop pin towbar and snatch recoveries can be done using the pin if the correct mounting bolts are used and the system is bolted to the chassis correctly(forces in a straight line, bolts specified correctly etc). One of those on the bumper of a modern 4x4 bakkie will probably have the whole bumper landing in your lap due to the way these are bolted to the modern bakkie.

A goose neck is the type with the ball and a single support in line as per the one on the right below. the Europeans sometimes call this a swan neck.

The one on the left is a gooseneck with a flange attachment. In SA we like the flange attachments as it has allowed many a homemade bike rack to work.

2015 Disco 4 SDV6 HSE - Happy Days again
    2019 Volvo XC60 D5 - Swambo's dream fulfilled. Another "platkar" that can.
    2011 KTM 990 Adventure - The classic can do bike
    Sadly sold: 2004 Disco 2 V8 - My beach cottage no more
    Finally retired: 2006 Volvo XC70 - Swambo's "platkar" that could

20. The Following User Says Thank You to DiscoMatt For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Connan View Post
    I went out with some people a while back(before covid) on a 4x4 trip. So during the course of the day, a recovery was needed, and my vehicle was used to do the recovery. Some loaded the rope onto the towball. I said No, thats dangerous etc, then I got the 5th degree as to how often they do this etc. I said thats fine, you guys continue doing that and when something happens remember my warning. I moved the rope and never went out with them again and even lost all contact.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to riyadh For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Tow Ball Snatch Vehicle Recovery is Dangerous

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4tripping View Post

Never use the tow ball for recovery. You never know before, how much power will be necessary. In the Article is not just pictures and videos about what can happen... You find links to deadly accidents too.

Article:
    Don`t use the tow-ball for vehicle recovery

The article is too available in german language.

Be always careful with 4x4 recoverys - just use gear who is rated for that purpose.

trippin
    Fascinating video, Thanks for sharing! Really emphasized for me the enormous forces at play and the danger that goes with that.

i was reading up the other night on an old thread on this forum where Frikkie explained in absolute detail the mechanical characteristics at play with a snatch recovery. I learned a lot about tensile and shear strengths of bolts, how the tow bar should be fitted (drop pin type or the regular ball type as was used in the video) and why one is better than the other. Wealth of info for those interested- just search for it. Made me realise that my 4.4 bolts should be 8.8’s which I will promptly replace

what Frikkie also explained in detail was how the various bolts holding the towbar attached to the chassis are points of potential failure etc. I found it interesting that despite serious attempts in the OP’s video, no bolts were snapped in the entire time, not even the ones holding the bullbar that got ripped off- seemed the bullbar mounting plate was deformed as it ‘popped’ off the bolts. Why is this? I would have thought with age the bolts would also lose strength?
    Last edited by Boesman88; 2021/06/03 at 09:29 PM.

I fully agree with Ian but want to add the following:

Snatch recoveries, regardless of attachment method give me the heebee jeebies. The forces involved are tremendous. I will always put a lot of distance between myself and such an attempt. My parents were witness to a snatch recovery gone wrong when a rated shackle failed during a dune trip that resulted in a near fatal, definitely life altering facial injury to the guide when said shackle went through the open bonnet and windscreen. The fact there happened to be an experienced trauma sister in the tour group and kick-ass first aid box as part of the guide's kit likely saved his life.

Personally I think snatch recoveries should be a last resort, after shovels, rock packing, sand ladders and normal non-stretch strap recovery attempts have failed. Dare I say, many snatch recoveries are entirely unnecessary but done because of laziness.
    Brandt Theunissen
    2019 Mahindra S6 Pik Up S/C 4x4
    2007 Mercedes Benz ML500 5.5
    1968 VW Beetle 2276

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Koebelwagen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Koebelwagen View Post
    Personally I think snatch recoveries should be a last resort, after shovels, rock packing, sand ladders and normal non-stretch strap recovery attempts have failed. Dare I say, many snatch recoveries are entirely unnecessary but done because of laziness.

What he said!
    Everything is a hammer.
    Unless it is a screw driver.

Then it it a chisel.

083 399 2046

Quote Originally Posted by Bravofox View Post
    Good advice

I use this type tow ball for a few years now.
    Mostly recoveries are done in a pull not snatch action with a snatch rope.
    If that does not work get the spade out and dig.

So had a few comments just snatch we have not got the time or it takes to long.
    My answer, OK you guys do it.
    I unhook and drive to a safe distance, open a cooldrink and wait.
    Danie & Marinda - die wiele is rond, dus moet hulle hardloop - afgetree nou leef ons net.
    2017 BL - Kewer B1115 RUS WA GP - bos en kamp tyd
    2016 Ford Fiesta Ecoboost - daaglikse ryding
    2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 DC XLT 4x4 - nuwe rondloop ry ding, nou sleep ons! (2017)
    2011 Echo 4, die RUSWA-ZN - (verkoop 44 000 km)
    2010 Ford Ranger 2.5 DT DC XLT 4x4 - rondloop ry ding met "bietjie ekstra" krag (Verkoop 177 000 km)
    2005 Chev Aveo - Afgeskryf (2016 130 000)
    2005 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 180 000)
    2003 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 150 00)
    2000 Nissan Hardbody - Geruil (pyne by die duisended 52 000 km)
    1998 Opel Kadett - Dogter se wiele geword in 2003 (baie warm enjin 116 000 km)
    1990 Datsun 1800 short wheelbase - Pa se ou plaas bakkie, na die Nissan die pad gevat het met sy probleme in 2003 (117 00km)
    1990 Hilux 2.4D - en hy kon loop, pomp en top gewerk aan.
    1984 Opel Commondore - het gehardloop
    1983 Safary 3 karavaan - verkoop en begin tent in 2000 (51 000 km)
    1980 Ford Granada 3.0 - warm enjin afgeskryf
    1969 VW 1600 TL - geen einde nie, warm enjin en geruil
    1968 VW 1600 L - geen einde en baie warm enjin, verkoop in 1998 (328 000 myl/525 000 km)

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Danie S For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Koebelwagen View Post
    My parents were witness to a snatch recovery gone wrong when a rated shackle failed during a dune trip that resulted in a near fatal, definitely life altering facial injury to the guide when said shackle went through the open bonnet and windscreen.
    Was this shackle the point of failure or was it the actual attachment point on the vehicle that failed? With a factor of safety of 5:1 on rated bow shackles I find it hard to believe that the shackle will fail before the kinetic strap or rope. A 3.25ton bow's minimum breaking strength/break force is 16.25ton and a 4.75ton bow's is 23.75ton. I have not seen many properly rated pieces of kinetic recovery gear of 16 ton or more in 4x4 vehicles, be it a strap or a rope. What I have seen is a general lack of knowledge of what equipment is rated for a specific 4x4 vehicle. Far to many larger or kitted 4x4's are travelling where they can get stuck with recovery equipment mostly suited for an empty double or single cab or a Jimny.
    HENK

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Henkus For This Useful Post:

Why it also helps to use a recovery bag or blanket over the snatch rope or winch line. Just make sure it not empty and has a few things in it to weigh it down.

Will hopefully bring the rope to the ground in the event of failure.

Nice onderwerp so leer ons bymekaar