Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Default Re: Driving an automatic. Any general advice?

Quote Originally Posted by RoelfleRoux View Post
    I bet you those cars all disengaged the TC lock-up when the speed dropped and the load increased, before making the decision to select a lower gear.
    These gearbox are computer controlled so don't need to slip before triggering to gearing down like old school mechanically controlled automatics from 40 years ago. There is zero slip when kicking down, in the lower gear you will have momentary slipping while the engine and gearbox speeds are matched and then it locks up again.
    Anton Muller
    Nothing screams "Bad workmanship" like wrinkles in the duct tape
    2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car

Default Re: Driving an automaticAny generatl advice

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    I have come to expect everything to be "complicated" on the forum, but jirre, how to use an auto should be a simple matter.... but give it to this forum and you will need a bloody PHD to lift the clip on the gear leaver...

It is a simple matter of selecting a gear when wanting to move and selecting park when you park it..

Simple gents.. really
    I wonder what those "rocket scientists" regarding automatic gearboxes would make of the below, would they ever get driving or just try and figure out how to mix and swing the three levers?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210602_130909.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	617303
    Last edited by HugoNotte; 2021/06/02 at 01:15 PM.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

3. The Following User Says Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

Name:	IMG_5383.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	617343
    🤦🏼 oh, oh now I've done it! This thread will carry on for 10 years
    Louis Adendorff
    Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk (Ironman suit)
    Everest 2.2 XLS (Swambo’s mommy taxi)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hooly For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hooly View Post

Name:	IMG_5383.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	617343
    🤦🏼 oh, oh now I've done it! This thread will carry on for 10 years
    Unimog?
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    Unimog?
    yes I had one
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1995 300TDi Defender with VGT Turbo (stolen by my son now )
    2002 Defender with LS1 MS3 ECU, 4L80e, LT230 1.222, Lockers and HD CW&P, 35" with 4" Lift
    2005 Defender TD5

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clivemd For This Useful Post:

Overdrive is a small addition to old gearboxes. It was like a small transfer case that changed the output ratio on the gearbox. It was generally small gears that can not handle a lot of torque. It was therefore recommended NOT to use overdrive when towing. Overdrive was used to bring the rpm down in top gear when travelling on the open road unlaboured to save fuel.

Modern gearboxes have done away with overdrives and use more planetary gearsets to get the required number of gears. Modern gearboxes are extremely strong and due to lock up torque converters are just as economical as manual boxes and do not overheat the ATF as in the old days.

The only advantage of manual boxes are the production cost saving and nostalgic old toppies who think of autos as the old lazy dumb boxes.

Modern autos are far superior in almost every aspect. And cross brand sharing (like the ZF 8 speed that is found almost everywhere) is making production costs lower and lower.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MariusFourie For This Useful Post:

In the olden days when 4 speed manual boxes (and 3 speed automatics) where the norm, the gear box would cover a certain spectrum of gear ratios, where the vehicle's top speed was reached in 4th gear (or 3rd, for the automatics).
    Then in countries like the US, where long distances are being driven with speed limits noticeably below the achievable top speed, it made sense to add an even taller gear to drop the engine RPM during these partial load cruises. Those where the overdrive gearboxes, either manual or automatic, which would be mated to the normal gearbox. As Marius said, they were not designed very strong, as they were not supposed to take a lot of load after all.

In Europe, VW at one stage introduced 4+E manual gearboxes. Same principle, 4 gears would cover the engine's power spectrum, but incorporated into the main gearbox was a very tall 5th gear (E= economy) which served as an overdrive gear. For petrol engines, VW's E gear was too tall to achieve top speed. Those VWs would achieve top speed in 4th gear and the 5th or "E" gear was just for cruising at moderate speeds.
    The same gearboxes were mated to diesel engines which would, due to better torque, achieve top speed in the 5th or "E" gear.

Later on, manufacturers designed proper 5 speed gearboxes, where the engine's power spectrum was then spread across 5 gears and top speed was again achieved in 5th gear.

Calling the top gear overdrive these days is more or less just a sales gimmick.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Default Re: Driving an automatic: Any general advice?

Quote Originally Posted by byaru1 View Post
    Im a light sleeper and tend to have short nights. When at a robot or any standstill even in traffic, I flip the shifter to P. Why? Because if I happen to nod off for a few seconds, the foot may lift off the brake pedal and the car slowly moves ahead. Yeah, age and fatigue
    Sorry for the Hijack - if you nod off at a traffic light, get checked for sleep apnea.

OK while ever so slightly off topic:
    Leeubok would tell you to "Loss die clutch"!!!
    Those who know Rickert will know what I am speaking of here.
    Peter Hutchison
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=2][B]ISUZU KB 280 DT LE
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5