Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Campsite pricing, where do you draw the line?

Just wondering, we had this discussion this past weekend, have you sort of set a limit for yourself in your head of what you are willing to pay for camping?
    I guess location plays a big roll and then there is December which is a animal all on its own, but let's say your typical weekend camping not too far from home.

I'm quite used to seeing pricing of between R150 and R200 per person and see that as pretty much the standard these days, but here and there I come across a R220 even R250 or more PP PN which I feel is getting a bit stiff especially for a weekend camp plus it's not as if it's in some exotic location down by the coast for example.

Let's please not turn this in to another "why still camp if it costs the same as chalet accommodation," we camp because we want to camp.
    "The problems we have today is because the guys who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." - Magnus Heystek

Default Re: Campsite pricing, where do you draw the line?

Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    Just wondering, we had this discussion this past weekend, have you sort of set a limit for yourself in your head of what you are willing to pay for camping?
    I guess location plays a big roll and then there is December which is a animal all on its own, but let's say your typical weekend camping not too far from home.

I'm quite used to seeing pricing of between R150 and R200 per person and see that as pretty much the standard these days, but here and there I come across a R220 even R250 or more PP PN which I feel is getting a bit stiff especially for a weekend camp plus it's not as if it's in some exotic location down by the coast for example.

Let's please not turn this in to another "why still camp if it costs the same as chalet accommodation," we camp because we want to camp.

Our limit is R200pppn. It is just the two of us so our max number per night is R400. And yes we camp because we want to camp. If we can't camp we don't go. As simple as that for us.
    Mike

Out in the bush!

2012 Amarok BiTDi 4Motion
    1956 Series 1 (now in boxes, Covid delayed the rebuild)
    1999 Land Cruiser 105 EFI

3. The Following User Says Thank You to AfricainHD For This Useful Post:

Relatedly the Pppn methodology irks me. Itís a site, bookable or not. The operator should charge for the site, with a max number of people, and maybe add a pppn charge over and above 2 or 4.

to us, it really depends on the exclusivity of the site. We donít want to pay more than say R 400 pn total for the four of us (2 teenagers) unless itís quite special.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to heyyahhey For This Useful Post:

As soon as camping prices start approaching the price of a chalet or flat, I draw the line. Yes, I like camping, but a solid building is just more convenient. This is probably the main reason I don't go camping at the beach. Campsites regularly cost way more than fixed accommodation.

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Toxxyc For This Useful Post:

R750 per stand per night (for a family of 5 or 6) is still ok for me.
    Obviously I need all the goods like a tap, braai and dustbin on my site.

Some camp sites charge per site to a mx number of people - there have been instances when we have not been able to get the max number of people together and end up paying a high per person rate (cost of site divided by number of actual ppl there). BUT then it is worth while as one has an exclusive site often away from any other people.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ingetrap For This Useful Post:

My experience is that prices will be driven by the facilityís activities, demand and condition.
    So consider that these may have higher pricing to cover those costs...
    I think campsites that cater predominantly for fishing, tend to be priced reasonably and that is also true for their other facilities (modest at best).

R500 to R750 per stand per night, depending on the campsite and shared or private ablutions.
    Flip le Roux
    2012 Fortuner D4D 4x4 Auto
    2019 2.2 Ranger D/C XLS 4x4 Auto
    2021 Suzuki Ignis
    Bushlapa Ratel 4 - 2551
    2014 BMW R1200RT

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Riekielouw For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    As soon as camping prices start approaching the price of a chalet or flat, I draw the line. Yes, I like camping, but a solid building is just more convenient. This is probably the main reason I don't go camping at the beach. Campsites regularly cost way more than fixed accommodation.
    We looked into a 2 week camping trip on the north coast in December 2019 as it was when we could get off of work. It was also early December. We ended up spending two weeks in Thailand, including our return tickets for the same cost overall. Taking into consideration travel costs from Limpopo.
    Mike

Out in the bush!

2012 Amarok BiTDi 4Motion
    1956 Series 1 (now in boxes, Covid delayed the rebuild)
    1999 Land Cruiser 105 EFI

15. The Following User Says Thank You to AfricainHD For This Useful Post:

You don't distinguish between the typical "low", "high" and "peak" seasons.

Salt Rock Caravan Park

These prices are per stand for TWO people.

Peak - R1180
    High - R670
    Mid - R585
    Low - R370

Add the following if you have kids depending on season:

3-11 - R50 to R65
    12-15 - R65 to R130
    16 - upwards - Adult rate

For me this is exorbitant.
    Last edited by IcePick88; 2021/05/20 at 02:56 PM.
    My ryding: 'n Ding met 4 rubber sirkels en n enjin wat nou en dan aangedryf word met al 4 sirkels

17. The Following User Says Thank You to IcePick88 For This Useful Post:

Kholo's camp R1300-00 for 2 persons per night!

We use to visit this site a lot, used to be about R350 to R450-00 for 2ppn and its 70km from home.

The toilet window remains broke, the outside shower's drain remains blocked and the little gas stove is so disgustingly dirty that my wife refuses to use it, but we loved the isolation and river.

But R1300-00 is just not worth it

I don't mind spending some money on a great campsite but there are limits!

I gladly pay R600-00 pn for peace and quite in the bush.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by DC Polokwane; 2021/05/20 at 03:00 PM.
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8
    Conqueror Courage 2016

19. The Following User Says Thank You to DC Polokwane For This Useful Post:

I camp to experience solitude and to be surrounded by a Wilderness with very few other visitors.

This is why I am in favour of and will save to be able to afford (for example) the base fee of $126 (max 6 pax) per night at an Exclusive campsite in Gonarezhou.

No facilities except for a long-drop.

Or travel a long way to places not favoured by many.

My group of 8 that paddled the flooded Banhine pans this May had a 700 000 ha National Park to ourselves.

Priceless.

Mike

Mozguide.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to mozguide For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by heyyahhey View Post
    Relatedly the Pppn methodology irks me. Itís a site, bookable or not. The operator should charge for the site, with a max number of people, and maybe add a pppn charge over and above 2 or 4.

to us, it really depends on the exclusivity of the site. We donít want to pay more than say R 400 pn total for the four of us (2 teenagers) unless itís quite special.

Quite a while back I heard that places will no longer be allowed to charge a flat rate per site and that they must put a PPpn price to it, don't know how true this is and never really tried to find out more. In my experience the majority of places charge PPpn.
    "The problems we have today is because the guys who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." - Magnus Heystek

Quote Originally Posted by DC Polokwane View Post
    Kholo's camp R1300-00 for 2 persons per night!

We use to visit this site a lot, used to be about R350 to R450-00 for 2ppn and its 70km from home.

The toilet window remains broke, the outside shower's drain remains blocked and the little gas stove is so disgustingly dirty that my wife refuses to use it, but we loved the isolation and river.

But R1300-00 is just not worth it

I don't mind spending some money on a great campsite but there are limits!

I gladly pay R600-00 pn for peace and quite in the bush.

Ja R1300 is bietjie rof, for me to pay that it has to be very very super special and a once off holiday I save up for.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigboy529 For This Useful Post:

We currently charge R300 per night up to 6 people and still find people bitching about it!

Me think it is time to increase our price!

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to The Condor For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by IcePick88 View Post
    Salt Rock Caravan Park
    For me this is exorbitant.
    I agree. Yet they are very often very full, so it's a case of Welcome to Capitalism, I suppose...

ZS5CMA
    His: '17 Hilux GD-6 4x4 A/T ~125000km
    Hers: '19 Mitsu Eclipse Cross ~ 25000km
    Semi-retired: '12 Polo BlueMotion ~350000km
    Burned to a crisp: '05 WJ 2.7CRD
    https://www.instagram.com/fstopza/

28. The Following User Says Thank You to cainslie For This Useful Post:

No limit for me. You pay not for the campsite but the exclusivity you get with it and the location, i.e. the amount of land you get to traverse with it or facilities you get to make use of without having to share with hundreds of others, otherwise it's of no interest to me.

E.g. I'm ok to pay R 2 000 a night for absolutely no facilities at all, but exclusivity to a vast area of big 5 game for a night.
    2007 Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI (Facelift, Air, Rear Diff Lock, Rear Mounted Spare)
    2008 Audi A4 B8 2.0 TDI (Multitronic)
    2009 KTM 990 Adventure (Weekend Fun)
    2012 Imagine Trailvan 4-Sleeper
    * consumption needs to be seen in the context that the vehicle is towing an Imagine Trailvan 30% of the time

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kortgat For This Useful Post:

In lieu of this, to me it does depend on what facilities one will get for their money and where you get to camp but there is a limit/justifying number.

I will say that I camp due to the affordability factor, so there is a definite line.

Last thing I will say/ask is the on the pricing. PP PN or per stand? I see a lot are very much in favor of per stand, which makes sense when you are a family, but if I take myself, it is only me and my spouse, no kids so how does that strict arrangement benefit me?

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Juddvdb For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kortgat View Post
    No limit for me. You pay not for the campsite but the exclusivity you get with it and the location, i.e. the amount of land you get to traverse with it or facilities you get to make use of without having to share with hundreds of others, otherwise it's of no interest to me.

E.g. I'm ok to pay R 2 000 a night for absolutely no facilities at all, but exclusivity to a vast area of big 5 game for a night.

I know someone with around 20000 ha of supreme bush in Mozambique, if there you are the only one there. I'll send you a quote.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigboy529 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Juddvdb View Post
    In lieu of this, to me it does depend on what facilities one will get for their money and where you get to camp but there is a limit/justifying number.

I will say that I camp due to the affordability factor, so there is a definite line.

Last thing I will say/ask is the on the pricing. PP PN or per stand? I see a lot are very much in favor of per stand, which makes sense when you are a family, but if I take myself, it is only me and my spouse, no kids so how does that strict arrangement benefit me?

I think the per stand vs per person will pretty much come out 50-50, great for families but as you say what about couples, especially retired couples who often camp alone and not with other friends or family.
    R600 per stand is very reasonable for a family of 4, but R600 will be on the very high end for a retired couple.

36. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to bigboy529 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast