Thread: Lusaka to Mfuwe

Default Lusaka to Mfuwe

Hi All,

We are diving from Lusaka to Mfuwe (Wildlife Camp). We plan to stop for the night at Chimwemwe Lodge in Petauke.

The choice is then to go via Chipata or go the "shortcut" along the Luangwa River. According to T4A Map, the "shortcut" is actually longer (because of the dirt road), but it would probably be more scenic.

Does anybody have any comments on the above?

Andrew

Default Re: Lusaka to Mfuwe

Note I haven't driven the whole way but I have driven from Mfuwe to Malama (about half way).
    The road is quite rough and is definitely slower however it is a much more rewarding road. The rains will wash away parts of the 'road' leaving behind vertical banks, these are often fixed by different organizations working in those areas. the rains finished quite late this year but I cannot confirm whether there has been any mending on the road. I saw a post on the drive Zam facebook page yesterday from a guy on a KLR who road it and he didn't recommend it for cars, might be worth getting in touch with him.
    What are you driving?
    Also we have been having fuel shortages in Mfuwe and eastern province so make sure you fill up where you can and in Petuake or Chipata to avoid waiting a number of days for diesel if Mfuwe runs dry.
    2002 HZJ105R Land Cruiser - being built as an overlander

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ozranger For This Useful Post:

If the road is fixed after the rains, and you have time, the back route is much more rewarding, but you will probably have to bush camp one night along the way so make allowance for that.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Weaver For This Useful Post:

Off topic. What happened to our member in Mfuwe ? Mfuwe Farmer or something. I cannot remember when last I saw a post from him....
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

Hi Andrew,

We have ridden the D139-D134 from Petauke to Mfwue in 2017, on a T.Hilux without a problem. Of course it was October just at the end of the dry season and of course easier. It took us around 5-6 hours, Pang' ono Pang'ono. Our report at the time wrote :" ... Although we were advised not to take this road, as it has been not graded for some time (and there is a tarred alternative to Mfuwe), the road itself was good, well marked, changing between a dirt/ coarse rough gravel. The hardest, more technical, slow going part, was while crossing the Nchindeni Hills after Sandwe, until one reaches the border of the NP. After that, we just followed along the Eastern margin of the Luangwa River until Tundwe scout camp gate. Although we have not seen any game, the drive was very enjoyable, through authentic african countryside with people on their everyday life. Reaching Mfuwe, we re-fueled and continued to Zikomo for the next three days. Fuel was available in town. "

Enjoy it, as much as we did.

AP
    Last edited by apfac; 2021/05/20 at 01:30 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to apfac For This Useful Post: