Default What makes people fall for obvious scams?

Long story short - My domestic worker, who is an otherwise quite level-headed and rational Noord-Kaper, has fallen hook line and sinker for a customs scam. Guy gets her number from somewhere and starts WhatsApp conversation. He is on an international number and claims to be in the US. After a while, he "sends her a gift" via a courier. Turns out he is quite generous, as it contains a laptop, iPad and a handbag. Oh, and a small amount of cash, to cover costs.
    Package arrives at OR Tambo and now the fun starts. Another guy (or same guy on different number) calls to say that she must pay customs. She coughs up R3000 for customs. Then the bombshell. The "small amount of cash" is $65k. Nice green ones. Customs requires that she pays R16000 as a anti-money laundering fine. Then she can keep the cash. All R900k's worth, which some stranger sent her. Sommer net so.
    She doesn't have R16000 to pay, so she starts phoning all her friends. One lady brings her R7000. At this point, I practically give up. I had already wasted an hour of my working day to try and talk some sense into her.
    She flatly refuses to believe that it is a scam. "I asked him if it was a scam and he said that it wasn't." She keeps on talking to the guy. I call him, but he hangs up the phone when I mention her name. Even that doesn't convinces her.
    Then the "courier company" starts threatening her - "Law enforcement" will come to arrest her, if she doesn't pay the AML fine. The carrot didn't work fast enough. Now it is time for the stick. She gets almost hysterical, to the point of not wanting to answer the door, in case it is the Police.

Eventually, her oldest friend, also from the Northern Cape, appears to have managed to talk some sense into her. She has now verbally acknowledged that it was indeed a scam. Not sure if that will hold, but we'll see. I haven't been this frustrated with someone in a looooooooong time!

Default Re: What makes people fall for obvious scams?

Desperate people.

The first and only bell that should say it's a scam is when a unknown person is sending you something for free. Nothing in life is free.
    My ryding: 'n Ding met 4 rubber sirkels en n enjin wat nou en dan aangedryf word met al 4 sirkels

3. The Following User Says Thank You to IcePick88 For This Useful Post:

dph

Well by the number of people sending me the TOYOTA 80YEAR GIveaway link thinking they all getting a free gift is mind boggling..Took me all 10sec of google to see its a scam..

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.G For This Useful Post:

FWM

Trust nobody, think like a skelm.
    Johan Swanepoel

"Nkabe ke ngwana wa morago"

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    Well by the number of people sending me the TOYOTA 80YEAR GIveaway link thinking they all getting a free gift is mind boggling..Took me all 10sec of google to see its a scam..
    I also knew it was a scam, just have a look at what vehicle is mostly driven by terrorists
    Last edited by FWM; 2021/05/18 at 04:11 PM.
    Willie Knoetze

2019 Nissan NP300 2.5tdi d/c 4x4

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FWM For This Useful Post:

Social engineering at its best.

I enjoy watching videos on YouTube where guys hack into the scammersí computers and delete all their files.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to FantomBadger For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    I have to muster all my energy not to reply to them and tell them to "Don't be a box".

And there is a Takealot one also floating around.

Same goes for people on FB sharing links to supposedly free stuff and tagging their entire friends list in it. It just tells the other people you don't think before sharing it.
    My ryding: 'n Ding met 4 rubber sirkels en n enjin wat nou en dan aangedryf word met al 4 sirkels

Greed and stupidity or stupidity and greed.
    Bruce Hunter. 2021 Defender D240HSE,2019 FJ Cruiser, Audi Q5S Tdi, 2019 VW Tiguan 4motion 2.0tsi(work vehicle), Bush Lapa Kewer 2202, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha FT100hp 4st.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    Greed and stupidity or stupidity and greed.

Also desperation. And trust, especially with older people. They still trust people to easily.
    Make it happen!

2018 Mobi Lodge

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toccata (Roelof) For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Toccata (Roelof) View Post
    Also desperation. And trust, especially with older people. They still trust people to easily.
    This plays a bigger part than I initially thought. Obviously there are compounding factors, but I believe trusting too easily is a key factor. I once had a young woman stay in our granny flat for a couple of months. Her parents sold their service station and then proceeded to put ALL the money (which was their retirement money ) into one of these schemes. They lost everything. Just because some young boereboykie with the gift of the gab managed to convince them that he is trust-worthy. Sad.
    Last edited by dph; 2021/05/18 at 05:36 PM.

Based on my experience with persons falling for this - mostly GREED !
    Last edited by 4x4 wannabie; 2021/05/18 at 05:37 PM.
    Metalian Maxi

One word >> Greed

I have a friend who lost almost everything.He tried finding work but couldnt..then this new CFX online tading scam came along and he joined..he is getting his money currently ,close to 30% per month but he diddes any claims its a scam and that the people involved are genuinely helping the investors..In his case its DESPERATION

We know too many friends and family who have fallen and lost about everything. We have told quite a few SCAM. They simply do not take us seriously. In one case (peroxide blond with bought assets) was saved by two bank tellers who refused to make the transaction - different banks.

I have to say that some scammers are really good. It is not so easy to realize that it is a scam.

SkyTV UK was running warning adverts couple months back for people living in UK. These scams are everywhere.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

Because they sound plausible and convincing, and good people don't think like scammers do. It's not only stupid and greedy people that fall for scams. Crypto may just turn out to be the world's longest running scam, and how many sharp minds are invested here. How about the Steinhoff saga? These are just more tailored and sophisticated.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heinz Modricky For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz Modricky View Post
    Because they sound plausible and convincing, and good people don't think like scammers do. It's not only stupid and greedy people that fall for scams. Crypto may just turn out to be the world's longest running scam, and how many sharp minds are invested here. How about the Steinhoff saga? These are just more tailored and sophisticated.
    I absolutely agree, Heinz. It is more about ignorance, desperation and trust. The people who fall for these scams are generally good people.
    Land Rover Defender Puma

Previous ride: Defender 90 tD5

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ellie2 For This Useful Post: