Default Battery backup for sliding gate motors

hi All.

i live in a small complex. we have a double gate, so 2 gate motors, at the entrance.

at the moment it is programmed to open and close 30 times and then stay open if the power is out. this is obviously the limit of the battery capacity.

the problem is, that when load shedding happens, almost everyone in the complex goes somewhere else and so the limit is reached quickly and the gate stays open up until the power is back on.

this is quite a big security risk and i would love to get more batteries connected so it can last through an avarage loadshedding cycle.

on top of that, we also have cameras that have no battery backup when the power is out so i would love to have that connected to batteries as well.

so my question is, where do i start? any recommendations of a company that can look at the system overall and come up with a solution?

Default Re: Battery backup for sliding gate motors

What size are the existing batteries? (Ah?)
    In our complex we have added separate battery boxes that take much larger batteries, and it easily copes with load shedding. The std. charger will take quite a lot longer to charge them, but ours easily lasts 2+ days.

For the CCTV you might need a slightly different backup power setup depending on the type of DVR/NVR and cameras.

I will leave the recommendations re. companies to the CT folk.
    ZS6VL

Remove old battery and connect in a 100ah battery with external charger inmho, not an expert.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

Quote Originally Posted by hunter26 View Post
    Remove old battery and connect in a 100ah battery with external charger inmho, not an expert.
    That's an overkill I reckon.
    If the existing battery is 7Ah then simply replace it with an 18Ah battery (no need to add an external charger for this)
    You could also add a small solar PV panel & charge controller to keep charging the battery during the day time.. (the sun in SA is a potent power source!)

Hi I did a repair at a complex which they fitted 18Ah battery but charger couldn't keep it alive. Not sure if controller was faulty or the charger. Had tried a new charger but still didnt help. Built a 5A charger and replaced battery. For camera system you might need a ups as the controller and so forth needs 220v to run. Size of ups will be dependent on no of cameras etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Wylie E View Post
    Hi I did a repair at a complex which they fitted 18Ah battery but charger couldn't keep it alive. Not sure if controller was faulty or the charger. Had tried a new charger but still didnt help. Built a 5A charger and replaced battery. For camera system you might need a ups as the controller and so forth needs 220v to run. Size of ups will be dependent on no of cameras etc.
    Some systems will still record and drive a monitor from Battery power. This is the 1st thing to check. If it works from battery with no 220V then you just need a bigger battery. A number of gates use a 1.5A charger and once the battery is full it will work for days.

It will be good to upgrade the charger when bigger than 18Ah battery is used.

For a complex it will make sense to go the lithium route and get the gate to operate more than 30 times. All that is needed is to check what amps is drawn by cameras and gates and then calculate a suitable battery size.

No way to add a solar panel to keep the battery charger?

I'm ignorant in that field .....

If you get an appropriate solar charger it will work on bigger batteries and save the batteries from overcharging as solar panels has no regulation on their own

Quote Originally Posted by sAnD.mAn View Post
    No way to add a solar panel to keep the battery charger?

I'm ignorant in that field .....
    Sure! The only thing to consider is that the charger will only charge when the sun shines.
    This also leaves you vulnerable (when there's no sun for days)
    So better to have both the mains charger and the solar charger..

If everything incl motor and CCTV receives power from a communal bin room or similar, you could get a 100ah battery and Mecer or similar 720w/1200va inverter? Know of a few complexes doing this and works 100ís.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Mackay View Post
    That's an overkill I reckon.
    If the existing battery is 7Ah then simply replace it with an 18Ah battery (no need to add an external charger for this)
    You could also add a small solar PV panel & charge controller to keep charging the battery during the day time.. (the sun in SA is a potent power source!)
    Solar panel, controller, security of solar panel and mounting of solar panel, external battery box to house bigger battery , 18Ah battery is a total over kill. External secured 100 ah deep cycle in battery box with intelligent charger incorporated will be far cheaper and last a long time. Not an expert, just logic thinking, correct if I'm wrong.
    Last edited by hunter26; 2021/05/22 at 12:00 PM.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

If 18Ah or 100Ah is over the top I would use 4x6Ah lithiums for each of the 2 gate motors. This being allowed to discharge to close to where the BMS will switch them off. The normal charger for each motor can be retained as it might be a fixed voltage charger. The cycles can be increased to 45 plus.
    Total cost about R1000.
    18Ah for 2 motors seems on the lower limit for lead acid in a complex.

Quote Originally Posted by bees View Post
    If everything incl motor and CCTV receives power from a communal bin room or similar, you could get a 100ah battery and Mecer or similar 720w/1200va inverter? Know of a few complexes doing this and works 100ís.
    thank you i like this idea, i should be able to install this myself too right?

there is also an electric fence around the complex, i think i must check current draw on everything and calculate how long a deep cycle battery would last

I just bought a 22 Ah lithium battery, pricing on the Blue Nova batteries are coming down nicely, I see even the 108 Ah is now under R9k.
    I didn't buy this specific one for a gate, but it will work great for that application.

I agree, if your gate motor, electric fence and CCTV power is in a central location, then it might be easier and cheaper to get a single backup UPS for the 230V side.
    1000W UPS, 100 Ah deep cycle or even better lithium battery, a external smart charger for the battery and you are off to the races.
    "The problems we have today is because the guys who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." - Magnus Heystek