Default D4 V8 vs. L322 4.4 TDV8

Hello Land Rover fundi’s

I am considering acquiring a Discovery 4 V8, and came quite close to committing to the deal.

However, Ive noticed for sale a similarly aged and priced (although mileage is 50k km more than the D4) L322 Range Rover 4.4 TDV8.

So now I am torn and would like the advice and insights of the community!

Lets say they’ve been equally well maintained, Id appreciate your feedback on….

Things I am concerned about are

1. General reliability (can I realistically expect one to give more problems than the other considering all components?)
    2. Maintenance requirements (Im more comfortable maintaining a petrol engine and as far as I can tell everyone has been very impressed with the 5.0 V8; is the 4.4 TDV8 a handful?)
    3. Everyday useability (does one get around town easier in the one rather than the other; does the ZF 8 speed in the TDV8 make it a preferred choice?)
    4. These are 9/10 year old cars with a lot of mileage… which one will be closer to worthless in 2026-2030?

Things I am not concerned about are

1. fuel consumption (Ive never owned an economic car, I expect to be spending money on fuel)
    2. space (as long as I can fit a bicycle in the back with the seats folded down and not taking off a wheel it is enough space; both can do that)
    3. offroad ability (I need to be able to go off road, but nothing extreme – challenges will come along here and there and I am sure both are capable enough for what I intend/want to put them through)
    4. comparisons to the D4 V6 diesels, or the RR 3.8 TDV8… not interested in those

Default Re: D4 V8 vs. L322 4.4 TDV8

I'd take the L322 over the D4 anyday - rides better, has more toys and better seats.

I'd also choose the diesel over the V8 for off-roading - personally I find it easier to drive smoothly off-road in a TD than in a petrol.
    Last edited by Orxy; 2021/05/17 at 10:26 PM.
    2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
    2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic

Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
    Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

Quote Originally Posted by williepvjr View Post
    Hello Land Rover fundi’s

I am considering acquiring a Discovery 4 V8, and came quite close to committing to the deal.

However, Ive noticed for sale a similarly aged and priced (although mileage is 50k km more than the D4) L322 Range Rover 4.4 TDV8.

So now I am torn and would like the advice and insights of the community!

Lets say they’ve been equally well maintained, Id appreciate your feedback on….

Things I am concerned about are

1. General reliability (can I realistically expect one to give more problems than the other considering all components?)
    2. Maintenance requirements (Im more comfortable maintaining a petrol engine and as far as I can tell everyone has been very impressed with the 5.0 V8; is the 4.4 TDV8 a handful?)
    3. Everyday useability (does one get around town easier in the one rather than the other; does the ZF 8 speed in the TDV8 make it a preferred choice?)
    4. These are 9/10 year old cars with a lot of mileage… which one will be closer to worthless in 2026-2030?

Things I am not concerned about are

1. fuel consumption (Ive never owned an economic car, I expect to be spending money on fuel)
    2. space (as long as I can fit a bicycle in the back with the seats folded down and not taking off a wheel it is enough space; both can do that)
    3. offroad ability (I need to be able to go off road, but nothing extreme – challenges will come along here and there and I am sure both are capable enough for what I intend/want to put them through)
    4. comparisons to the D4 V6 diesels, or the RR 3.8 TDV8… not interested in those
    If you do not need the 7 seats, absolutely no need for D4.

The 4.4 TDV8 is a fantastic engine. The 8sp box is superb. L322 all the way. And yes I fit my mtb in the boot of mine no problem. The Range Rover is more comfortable. Think heated seats and steering wheel

L322
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Total 4x4 Novice with no experience whats-so-ever

''Nothing makes the Earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes''. H.D. Thoreau.

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    L322
    Seems like it is an easy choice then