Default Shade-netting and frost

I need to protect quite a lot of plants against frost, can/ will shade net work? And if so what percentage is recommended? The normal frost cover doesn't last a week with my dogs

Thanks in advance
    Alan

Defender on Steroid's (Sadly sold)
    Previous: Pajero 3.5 V6 (Gas Guzzler)
    Series 3 109 SW (Tortoise)
    Platkar Ford Fiesta 1.6tdi (Swambo's present)

Default Re: Shade-netting and frost

No. But you can get frost cover or hessian to cover the plants.

If all else fails and it is practically possible, install irrigation sprayers/mist sprayers.

Why frost kills/"burns" the plant is that the air gets so cold, the capillaries inside the leaves freeze, expand and burst.

If you can keep the temp of the air above freezing it stops that from happening - which is what the water does.

The proviso is that you've got to keep the water going up until such time as the air temp climbs above freezing, otherwise the problem is compounded.

This is what I used to do on the farm.
    Ettienne de Kock

"ASK YOURSELF HOW OLD YOU'D BE IF YOU DIDN'T KNOW THE DATE YOU WERE BORN" - Toby Keith

1998 Disco Tdi
    1959 SII 88"
    1975 Land Rover Air-Portable Lightweight
    197? RRC
    AND SWAMBO's Unmentionable Abomination

Quote Originally Posted by EttiennedK View Post
    If all else fails and it is practically possible, install irrigation sprayers/mist sprayers.

Why frost kills/"burns" the plant is that the air gets so cold, the capillaries inside the leaves freeze, expand and burst.

If you can keep the temp of the air above freezing it stops that from happening - which is what the water does.

The proviso is that you've got to keep the water going up until such time as the air temp climbs above freezing, otherwise the problem is compounded.

This is what I used to do on the farm.
    just from your first line I was going to say bullsiht - Iíve successfully destroyed parts of my garden with leaving a sprinkler on too long before sunset during winter, but then switching it off just before sunset .

that very interesting, I wouldnít have thought of that. Makes sense though.

Iíll be following this thread with interest. I need to protect from the frost this time. Iím tired of my garden getting destroyed each winter now
    Graham Robertson
    Nissan Patrol 4.8

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:

One house on our street doesn't cover the plants on the street with that white stuff. They use "roof" over the plants. "Roof" is plant specific and just above the plant.

Train the dogs. When training the dog has to know for which it gets the hiding. My next door used to be a police dog handler. I saw what he did. It did work.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Eveleigh View Post
    I need to protect quite a lot of plants against frost, can/ will shade net work? And if so what percentage is recommended? The normal frost cover doesn't last a week with my dogs

Thanks in advance
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko View Post
    One house on our street doesn't cover the plants on the street with that white stuff. They use "roof" over the plants. "Roof" is plant specific and just above the plant.

Train the dogs. When training the dog has to know for which it gets the hiding. My next door used to be a police dog handler. I saw what he did. It did work.

Have you ever trained a dog successfully, if so it would be a Finnish(ed) dog
    Fortuner D4D
    Hilux 2.7 4x4 Raider.
    Sp Tourer

Thanks in advance
    Shade netting will work depending on the percentage shading. Talk to your nursery, they will know as they use it in some areas.
    Robert

'98 Isuzu 280 DT D/C 4x4, home made roof rack
    '09 VW Caddy Maxi TDi
    '06 Citroen C3 1.4HDi8)
    '97 Isuzu 280 S/C plaasbakkie

I do not train dogs. I have problems with dog trainers/owners. I just have seen trained dogs and what to do if they do not behave.

I have problems with the owners who buy dogs for protection or what ever and do not train them. Then some do not even have an insurance to cover problems or cry on social media "they were poisoned". Properly trained dog cannot be poisoned, will not bite a wrong person, is under the control of the owner and "nominated" persons. To get there is absolutely a huge task. Just in case an insurance is must.

I do not know numbers how many police dogs fail the training but I am sure not all go through.

If a dog owner is not prepared to spend the time to train/learn how to train/prepared to lose dogs that fail the training then do not get a dog/s.

I was attacked by a pack of Finnish dogs, my son was attacked by a local pack of dogs, I tried to help next door lady but their monster dog was not under the control of the owner... Not the faults of the dogs. Pure faults of the owners.

If the dogs destroy shade nets... Apologies to OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbief View Post
    Have you ever trained a dog successfully, if so it would be a Finnish(ed) dog
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart

Plants are hardy but this has worked for years for people on our street. Material is cutouts from those woven bags for fertilizers etc. Shade net would do the same but like said talk to the nursery on the area including which height it still work. Wind has to be considered.

With the white stuff we learned to buy the thicker material and make bags. Thinner stuff did not last a year and at the cottage wind blew off those that were not bags. Thicker were still intact after a year. Washed, stored for summer and half are already over the plants and the second half will go on this week.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart

You dont give dogs hidings >> thats the worst and most vile way to train any dog and as long as they wee outside all is good >> I was a Defence Force Dog Handler and Sheep Dog owner all my life

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter Betts For This Useful Post:

Thanks in advance
    you are famous for chilies.

make mix of your chilies (or cayenne pepper,ghost chilies paste...etc)and water .
    fill a spray bottle, spray freely over material.
    dogs learn quickly.

Plants are hardy but this has worked for years for people on our street. Material is cutouts from those woven bags for fertilizers etc. Shade net would do the same but like said talk to the nursery on the area including which height it still work. Wind has to be considered.

With the white stuff we learned to buy the thicker material and make bags. Thinner stuff did not last a year and at the cottage wind blew off those that were not bags. Thicker were still intact after a year. Washed, stored for summer and half are already over the plants and the second half will go on this week.
    Why are they covering Aloes ?? They are indigenous and Thrive Uncovered in the veld Lol
    Last edited by Peter Betts; 2021/05/18 at 07:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jadranko View Post
    you are famous for chilies.

make mix of your chilies (or cayenne pepper,ghost chilies paste...etc)and water .
    fill a spray bottle, spray freely over material.
    dogs learn quickly.
    I can see there are many who dont deserve to own any Dogs >> do you teach your Children like that ??

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Betts View Post
    I can see there are many who dont deserve to own any Dogs >> do you teach your Children like that ??
    dogs would not come close to strong smell like that.
    so what is wrong with that?