Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 67
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Age
    33
    Posts
    12
    Thanked: 4

    Default Teardrop Trailers/Caravans- Why are they not popular?

    Hi

    Is there any reason why the Teardrop trailer/caravans are not more popular?
    I see there are descent ones being built locally and they are claim to be quite capable off road.
    It seems to be popular design in the US, I was just wondering why aren't they more popular here?
    They have quite a few advantages from what I can see, light to tow, very organised kitchen and sleeping layout, lots of space for their size, etc.
    I juts want to find out what their cons are and if that's the reason they are not more popular.

    Thanks

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kanga For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    64
    Posts
    194
    Thanked: 115

    Default Re: Teardrop Trailers/Caravans- Why are they not popular?

    Just check the average age on the forum and you will understand. From 55 unwards it is not easy to slide into such a van and lay on your back to dress.


    2016 Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4 Dc
    2019 Wildebeest Serengeti

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Millie For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Age
    33
    Posts
    12
    Thanked: 4

    Default Re: Teardrop Trailers/Caravans- Why are they not popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by MANDREAS View Post
    Probably because its shape resembles this
    Willem's opinion
    Ha ha fair enough.... Is looks really a bigger factor then practicality though?
    Last edited by hbannink; 2021/05/21 at 11:53 PM. Reason: tick tock

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Age
    33
    Posts
    12
    Thanked: 4

    Default Re: Teardrop Trailers/Caravans- Why are they not popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by Millie View Post
    Just check the average age on the forum and you will understand. From 55 unwards it is not easy to slide into such a van and lay on your back to dress.
    Makes sense
    I see a lot of them have a side tent that can be pulled out which can be used for getting dressed, etc.

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    45
    Posts
    698
    Thanked: 67

    Default Re: Teardrop Trailers/Caravans- Why are they not popular?

    We South Africans are unfortunately set in our ways! I do think that a proper tear drop camper will be a brilliant piece of kit for camping/overlanding.
    2021 Ford Ranger Raptor
    Rhino 4x4 Rocksliders
    Superior load cover
    Rhino 4x4 Sports bar

  8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ChrisBlatherwick For This Useful Post:


  9. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    52
    Posts
    172
    Thanked: 64

    Default Re: Teardrop Trailers/Caravans- Why are they not popular?

    Like the little Rogue from Vagabond in KwaZulu-Natal?
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisBlatherwick View Post
    We South Africans are unfortunately set in our ways! I do think that a proper tear drop camper will be a brilliant piece of kit for camping/overlanding.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rogue.jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	615732
    PAUL

  10. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Live : Bethal , Work : Saudi
    Age
    38
    Posts
    4,277
    Thanked: 279

    Default Re: Teardrop Trailers/Caravans- Why are they not popular?

    To expensive
    Can buy a propper caravan for the price
    One life Live it

    Take The Roads less traveled

    Alles in die lewe gebeur met n doel

  11. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    36
    Posts
    654
    Thanked: 165

    Default Re: Teardrop Trailers/Caravans- Why are they not popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul JRH View Post
    Like the little Rogue from Vagabond in KwaZulu-Natal?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rogue.jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	615732
    I would buy that for shorter trips, no doubt! But for longer trips to remote areas (nam/bots/richtersveld etc) you need more packaging space. You need an awning, camp chairs, food booze for many days (remote areas), maybe a gazebo. That's where these start falling flat, then its basically just towing a bed unlike camping trailers and caravans.
    2019 Ford Everest 3.2 AWD
    2013 Suzuki GV 2.4 sold
    2010 Suzuki Jimny sold

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GKE For This Useful Post:


  13. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    springs
    Age
    48
    Posts
    57
    Thanked: 55

    Default Re: Teardrop Trailers/Caravans- Why are they not popular?

    It look like it is a really cool and practical trailer it first glance.......

    Just not enough packing space, in my opinion, and by the time you have made it into something that does have the space it is just another small caravan....

  14. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Durban
    Age
    57
    Posts
    5,303
    Thanked: 1300

    Default Re: Teardrop Trailers/Caravans- Why are they not popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by CvdN View Post
    It look like it is a really cool and practical trailer it first glance.......

    Just not enough packing space, in my opinion, and by the time you have made it into something that does have the space it is just another small caravan....
    You do know the whole thing is packing space
    FJC - Just Cruising

  15. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Brackenfell
    Age
    38
    Posts
    2,188
    Thanked: 499

    Default Re: Teardrop Trailers/Caravans- Why are they not popular?

    the one thing with these shape van's, you are still in the outside. Unlike a caravan/trailer with tent attached you are covered during rain/cold and getting dressed you have the option of not doing op die vlak.

  16. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Nelspruit
    Age
    64
    Posts
    313
    Thanked: 121

    Default Re: Teardrop Trailers/Caravans- Why are they not popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kanga View Post
    Hi

    Is there any reason why the Teardrop trailer/caravans are not more popular?
    I see there are descent ones being built locally and they are claim to be quite capable off road.
    It seems to be popular design in the US, I was just wondering why aren't they more popular here?
    They have quite a few advantages from what I can see, light to tow, very organised kitchen and sleeping layout, lots of space for their size, etc.
    I juts want to find out what their cons are and if that's the reason they are not more popular.

    Thanks
    I bought a TD last year. The purpose was to make camping easy, and this is one thing it does with aplomb. Yes you have to get dressed lying down, but I'm 65 with 3 spinal fusions and it is easy.

    I designed mine for off road and it does that well. It was made of wood with a metal covering, fitted water tanks, solar, geyser, kitchen, fridge/freezer, 200ah batt. It weighs as much as a Conqueror Comfort trailer, but I can set up in the time it takes to open the beer.

    In terms of shade and cover for bad weather, we have an instant awning for the quick setup and a 7m x 7m roof with sides to cover the whole thing if we camp longer.

    Cost wise I overspecced it and came out at R200k incl the extras, a similar camp trailer will set you back doubleClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20210504-WA0004.jpg 
Views:	346 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	615817
    Ubbo
    2011 FJ Cruiser
    2014 Rubicon - Sold

  17. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Ubbo For This Useful Post:


  18. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Durban
    Age
    57
    Posts
    5,303
    Thanked: 1300

    Default Re: Teardrop Trailers/Caravans- Why are they not popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ubbo View Post
    I bought a TD last year. The purpose was to make camping easy, and this is one thing it does with aplomb. Yes you have to get dressed lying down, but I'm 65 with 3 spinal fusions and it is easy.

    I designed mine for off road and it does that well. It was made of wood with a metal covering, fitted water tanks, solar, geyser, kitchen, fridge/freezer, 200ah batt. It weighs as much as a Conqueror Comfort trailer, but I can set up in the time it takes to open the beer.

    In terms of shade and cover for bad weather, we have an instant awning for the quick setup and a 7m x 7m roof with sides to cover the whole thing if we camp longer.

    Cost wise I overspecced it and came out at R200k incl the extras, a similar camp trailer will set you back doubleClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20210504-WA0004.jpg 
Views:	346 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	615817
    This!!
    FJC - Just Cruising

  19. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Clanwilliam
    Age
    41
    Posts
    297
    Thanked: 56

    Default Re: Teardrop Trailers/Caravans- Why are they not popular?

    My 2c.

    The Pros -
    Looks awesome
    Probably tows like a dream.

    Cons -
    Only built for 2 people. Thus mainly aimed at older people.
    But the shape and size does not really allow for many "luxuries"
    - like being able to stand-up inside
    - having space for a wing type or retractable type awning
    - having space inside for inside toilet and shower
    - enough dedicated packing space for extended stays in the bush

    A lot of older campers I know like as little setup time and as much luxuries as possible thus the relatively big Mobi Lodge being popular with them (of course not al)

    So in the end practicality trumps looks.

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to HiluxRoux For This Useful Post:


  21. #15
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Alberton
    Age
    56
    Posts
    153
    Thanked: 251

    Default Re: Teardrop Trailers/Caravans- Why are they not popular?

    It's all about image I'm afraid,

    A TD does not project the same image as a Jurgens Exclusive and the tannies are just not going to settle for anything less

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to Ejay For This Useful Post:


  23. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Jo'Burg
    Age
    60
    Posts
    296
    Thanked: 703

    Default Re: Teardrop Trailers/Caravans- Why are they not popular?

    Speaking only for myself, I cannot imagine crawling around on my hands and knees to get into bed. For around 3K I can do that in a tent!
    An unconscious competent making his way through life.

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to Steady For This Useful Post:


  25. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Waterfall
    Age
    50
    Posts
    337
    Thanked: 131

    Default Re: Teardrop Trailers/Caravans- Why are they not popular?

    I have the Mobi X adventure trailer. A TD design that is really just a bed on wheels.

    Yes it is only a sleeping space no different to a roof top tent. The rear opens and there is a big slide that slides out. It has a 66 L fridge Freezer, microwave, Air con, gas heater for the running water, built in 130 L water tank, solar, Lithiun battery, shower on the 1 side and kitchen on the other. We have a Alucab 270 awning and only go inside to sleep.

    Now how is this different to a roof top tent? Yes we tow a light weight 4X4 trailer and leave it at the camp sites. Some friends have the roof top tent and always want to do game drives or go explore the area with us as they don't want to pack up their whole setup.

    For our use, it works. No ladders and our trailer is always packed ready to go away.

    I do not want a luxury 4X4 caravan that is heavy to tow. For us, camping is spending time outdoors.

    Each to their own and enjoy what makes you happy.
    2016 V8 D/Cab Cruiser
    Land Cruiser VDJ 71
    2020 LC 200 GXR
    2020 LC FJ

  26. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to geoff norton For This Useful Post:


  27. #18
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Tshwanetoria
    Age
    68
    Posts
    2,275
    Thanked: 1131

    Default Re: Teardrop Trailers/Caravans- Why are they not popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by Steady View Post
    Speaking only for myself, I cannot imagine crawling around on my hands and knees to get into bed. For around 3K I can do that in a tent!
    A tent with a proper bed, and a built in kitchen? I want one!



  28. The Following User Says Thank You to hatjohan For This Useful Post:


  29. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Age
    33
    Posts
    12
    Thanked: 4

    Default Re: Teardrop Trailers/Caravans- Why are they not popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ubbo View Post
    I bought a TD last year. The purpose was to make camping easy, and this is one thing it does with aplomb. Yes you have to get dressed lying down, but I'm 65 with 3 spinal fusions and it is easy.

    I designed mine for off road and it does that well. It was made of wood with a metal covering, fitted water tanks, solar, geyser, kitchen, fridge/freezer, 200ah batt. It weighs as much as a Conqueror Comfort trailer, but I can set up in the time it takes to open the beer.

    In terms of shade and cover for bad weather, we have an instant awning for the quick setup and a 7m x 7m roof with sides to cover the whole thing if we camp longer.

    Cost wise I overspecced it and came out at R200k incl the extras, a similar camp trailer will set you back doubleClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20210504-WA0004.jpg 
Views:	346 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	615817
    Was this custom built?

  30. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Age
    33
    Posts
    12
    Thanked: 4

    Default Re: Teardrop Trailers/Caravans- Why are they not popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by geoff norton View Post
    I have the Mobi X adventure trailer. A TD design that is really just a bed on wheels.

    Yes it is only a sleeping space no different to a roof top tent. The rear opens and there is a big slide that slides out. It has a 66 L fridge Freezer, microwave, Air con, gas heater for the running water, built in 130 L water tank, solar, Lithiun battery, shower on the 1 side and kitchen on the other. We have a Alucab 270 awning and only go inside to sleep.

    Now how is this different to a roof top tent? Yes we tow a light weight 4X4 trailer and leave it at the camp sites. Some friends have the roof top tent and always want to do game drives or go explore the area with us as they don't want to pack up their whole setup.

    For our use, it works. No ladders and our trailer is always packed ready to go away.

    I do not want a luxury 4X4 caravan that is heavy to tow. For us, camping is spending time outdoors.

    Each to their own and enjoy what makes you happy.
    How does the Mobi X handle off road?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •