Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Re: Why do we overeat?

I weigh between 79-82kgs @183cms, and have been that for the last 25yrs. I still wear some of the Jean's and suits from then. The rest died from use and were replaced with the same sizing.

I drink a "few" WHK Lagers nightly. I do not drink coke unless I spoil myself with a Captain. I eat a min of 2 meals a day, moderate portions in my view. I always consume at least 2lts of water per day. Oh forgot about my 1x coffee fix.

At times I feel like a sugar fix, Lays or Doritos, a chocolate, in general I don't have a sweet tooth.

I am lucky that our business structure for me, is 10% office sitting and the rest loading and offloading cargo on my own and I cannot sit still..
    And yes I have family members that battle with weight...that eat the same, but struggle, wish I new the science, but most struggles are the late 40's some were in 20's already..

Off to the IAT thread

2. The Following User Says Thank You to caesarcp For This Useful Post:

Been a frugal eater since I was born, necessity when I was young because we couldn't afford anything even resembling excess. Also very sporty from young
    , my father insisted all the kids could swim a mile without stopping before we went to school. I think being fit was engrained in me and that has never faded. I weigh 4kg more now than I did in matric, which is 4kg more than I weighed in 2001 when I ran my last Comrades. It's not even concious, but I realise how lucky I am, my siblings carry weight and they had my upbringing.

I do watch my weight, because when I run - 2, 3 times a week, I feel every kilo on my aging knees. Cycling has been a brilliant change, so I try for 100 - 140km a week. That many calories buy me some leeway with food. I smaak my bread and peanut butter, biscuits and rusks, some chocolate. I just compensate with exercise, and it's not a trial, I love being out in the fresh air, so 4 hours on the mountain bike takes care of the excess.

Personally, I don't think losing weight and keeping it off is a diet issue, or just exercise, but a holistic approach. Bits of everything, and every person who believes they're overweight knows what's causing it. Choose to remedy it, or not, but they know. I don't have issues with people's choices, but I do think that those who can't experience some endurance exercise are missing out. There are few things like the endorphin rush you get.

And a short little span of attention helps, if your brain is all over the place theres a good chance that you are as well
    Last edited by Gungets Tuft; 2021/05/17 at 08:13 PM.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Gungets Tuft For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Emmie L View Post
    Mandreas,

It's not a lack of knowledge, it's a lack of power. The question is: what have you given power over you?

Antwoord daardie vraag, en jy sal vinnig unstuck raak.

Tweede vraag: Is jy lief vir jou lyf? Jou gewrigte, vleis, organe? Of gaan jou lyf net oor uiterlike voorkoms. So... gesond wees of maer wees? Lang termyn leefstyl verandering of kort/ medium termyn 'oplossing' wat gaan terug sink na 'n ruk. Wil jy h alles moet optimaal funksioneer of moet dit net lyk of dit doen?

Derde vraag: Is jou gewig deel van jou identiteit? Is jy 'n vet mens of 'n maer mens? Besluit of wil jy 'n maer mens wees of nie en rig jou lewe daarvolgens. Kyk hoe eet maer mense. Hoe dink hulle oor kos. En besef jy gaan jou denke moet vernuwe.

Die gewig verloor is die maklike deel. Die verander is waar die kuns l. Wil jy?

Ietsies om te bepeins langs die viswater.
    Dit is nie werklik iets om oor na te dink nie Emmie, ek weet wat die antwoord is tot die vraagstuk is. Moet maar net my gat in rat kry. Wat ek wel goed weet is dat dit nie veel sal help om te begin oefen en reg te eet as ek nie weer die "sigaret-duiwel" op sy plek sit nie.
    Cheers
    Willem Greyling

"When the wise man points at the moon, the imbecile examines the finger" - Confucius

Ek sal ook ernstig my gatinrat moet kry en die gewig afgooi, want my gef..kte knieg like dit nie so baie nie en nou affekteer dit die ander een want hy doen meeste van die werk - (mind you, klink soos ek by die kantoor)

OK ek sal baie geld betaal vir die geheim hoe om die vette te laat wegsmelt, terwyl ek nog mag bier drink
    Willem

Ford Ranger 3.0Tdci Super Cab 4x4
    (workshop whore)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to WAJ For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by WAJ View Post
    Ek sal ook ernstig my gatinrat moet kry en die gewig afgooi, want my gef..kte knieg like dit nie so baie nie en nou affekteer dit die ander een want hy doen meeste van die werk - (mind you, klink soos ek by die kantoor)

OK ek sal baie geld betaal vir die geheim hoe om die vette te laat wegsmelt, terwyl ek nog mag bier drink
    Ek weet nie of ek ooit van bier af sal kan wegstap nie, dit dalk net verminder.

Destyds het ek vir elke 2,5km wat ek gedrag het, myself met 'n bier oor die naweek beloon - 3 keer 'n week draf = drie biere oor die naweek.

Met jou knieg sal jy dalk nie kan draf nie, maar daar is altyd swem of fietsry (stationary fiets).
    Cheers
    Willem Greyling

"When the wise man points at the moon, the imbecile examines the finger" - Confucius

So according to your theory explain the 2kg I gained while on a 3 day water fast last week, please. I'm curious how it entered through my mouth.
    Maybe I can help, a bit long winded but this is what happens.

When you suddenly start drinking lots of water, this causes the liquid in your body to become diluted. The body's reaction to this is to set the kidneys into overtime and to try and get rid of the water. BUT, urine is highly concentrated, so you are also loosing minerals out of your body. So since there are now less free minerals in the body, you need less liquid to maintain the "saline" concentration in the body. So this is the effect which gives you that initial gee Whiz, wow weight loss, look mom, I lost 5 kg in two days. This is an illusion, you have lost only water, because your kidneys expel even more than you drink.

But now your bloodstream gets concentrated, less liquid, the same number of cells and protein's. This sets of the next reaction in the body, it starts pumping minerals and protein into the bloodstream to get the volumes back up to scratch. BUT, you're still drinking water like a crazy person, so the liquid remains diluted (of minerals, but too many cells). So the body increases its efforts to add free minerals to the bloodstream, and it keeps on increasing this process (basically increased metabolism) to correct the balance.

Now suddenly you stop drinking water, but the body can't switch off processes like a light switch, it takes time, so now suddenly you go into a process where the mineral content spikes. The body will react in two ways. It will shut down the kidneys to conserve water and you will suddenly develop a raging thirst. (contra intuitive, you just had a 3 day of massive water intake and now you are very thirsty). Only now when you start drinking, this water is all retained to dilute the over production of minerals. So yes if you weigh yourself at this point, you might weigh more than when you started. But it is an illusion again, it is just water. (and yes it went in through your mouth).

You now need to allow your body to regain it equilibrium and return to normal. THEN if you weigh yourself you will finally determine the REAL weight you have lost (unless you started binge eating at the end of your diet in which case you would now have made up the loss again).

So a message, stay away from water diets, they are dangerous and places enormous stresses on the physiological processes in the body.

C
    If you ain't livin on the edge, you're taking up too much space!

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to C Africa For This Useful Post:

I think what catches most people, is the shear mountain of a task that lays/lies ahead of them.

Guys and gals, it does not have to happen within a month or 2, and you may still afford yourself some of the little sinful pleasures once in a while.

This is probably over simplifying it, but once you made this lifestyle choice, start small but stick to it whatever you decided.

What I've been doing for the past 6 weeks (as I also needed to lose 5kgs) is merely the following:

1. I cut out coffee during the week because I cannot stand to drink the stuff without sugar and believe me I've tried. Being use to 2 cups a day, that's a lot of sugar now gone

2. I've limited myself to 1 beer at night whereas it used to be 3) Lots of carbs less now.

And even with this, the progress is slow but definitely visible. I lose on average about 400 - 600 grams a week.

Give it time!!!
    Nico Swart

Triton 2.5DiD D/C with SS
    ZS6NJS

One day, or Day One. You decide. Tomorrow is promised for no one!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Die SwartKat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by C Africa View Post

When you suddenly start drinking lots of water, this causes the liquid in your body to become diluted. The body's reaction to this is to set the kidneys into overtime and to try and get rid of the water. BUT, urine is highly concentrated, so you are also loosing minerals out of your body. So since there are now less free minerals in the body, you need less liquid to maintain the "saline" concentration in the body. So this is the effect which gives you that initial gee Whiz, wow weight loss, look mom, I lost 5 kg in two days. This is an illusion, you have lost only water, because your kidneys expel even more than you drink.

But now your bloodstream gets concentrated, less liquid, the same number of cells and protein's. This sets of the next reaction in the body, it starts pumping minerals and protein into the bloodstream to get the volumes back up to scratch. BUT, you're still drinking water like a crazy person, so the liquid remains diluted (of minerals, but too many cells). So the body increases its efforts to add free minerals to the bloodstream, and it keeps on increasing this process (basically increased metabolism) to correct the balance.

Now suddenly you stop drinking water, but the body can't switch off processes like a light switch, it takes time, so now suddenly you go into a process where the mineral content spikes. The body will react in two ways. It will shut down the kidneys to conserve water and you will suddenly develop a raging thirst. (contra intuitive, you just had a 3 day of massive water intake and now you are very thirsty). Only now when you start drinking, this water is all retained to dilute the over production of minerals. So yes if you weigh yourself at this point, you might weigh more than when you started. But it is an illusion again, it is just water. (and yes it went in through your mouth).

You now need to allow your body to regain it equilibrium and return to normal. THEN if you weigh yourself you will finally determine the REAL weight you have lost (unless you started binge eating at the end of your diet in which case you would now have made up the loss again).

So a message, stay away from water diets, they are dangerous and places enormous stresses on the physiological processes in the body.

C
    Thanks for this!

I was also thinking along the lines of water retention due to some other form of underlying condition. This is not always visible in that it manifests as swollen feet or ankles etc.

I also know that ladies (my wife definitely) during that time of the month, actually gain weight. Don't ask me how this happens, probably a hormonal thing. Once its past, shwooosh, and the weight drops again.
    Last edited by Die SwartKat; 2021/05/18 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Typo
    Nico Swart

ZS6NJS

I also cant stand coffee without sugar, so I reduced from 2 spoons to 1 - cant go without coffee in the morning, and my colleagues agree

I am now on Lite beer - as in lite on calories, so I hope it will make a difference. (oh but I have 23L of IPA brewing.... I dont think its lite beer)

My Brannas is mixed with coke light or zero (for what its worth)

No carbs during the week, only meat and salads and veggies, but I dont like cooked veggies - maybe I must make a nice groentesop.
    Last edited by WAJ; 2021/05/18 at 08:54 AM.
    Willem

(workshop whore)

maybe I must make a nice groentesop.
    Met daai lieflike knotted rolls van Woolies.

A WK, XJ and a Ducati...

"Stil, broers,daar gaan n man verby, hy groet, en dis verlaas.
    Daars nog maar een soos hy; bekyk hom goed."

Quote Originally Posted by Die SwartKat View Post

2. I've limited myself to 1 beer at night whereas it used to be 3) Lots of carbs less now.
    This is what I call "1 beer"

I guess I can live with that limit for a while
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Willem

(workshop whore)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to WAJ For This Useful Post:

This is what I call "1 beer"

I guess I can live with that limit for a while
    Hahahaha yes yes, that definitely was the case for me.

I mentioned little things and like you also, another thing I did (but this I had been doing for at the last 10 years already) was to replace normal Coke with Coke Zero. Cant stand the taste of normal Coke now, but I cant get this right with coffee without sugar though.

Weekends I have no problem cheating provided I know I'd done my part during the week.

IPA is my absolute favorite beer!
    Nico Swart

ZS6NJS

Quote Originally Posted by Rainier Vermaak View Post
    Met daai lieflike knotted rolls van Woolies.
    Jajajajajajajajajaja!!!!!

Saam met enige sop doen ons ook die gekookte eiers ding, en sulke ander crumbed goete om in die sop te doop.

Dis al wat ek van die winter like.

Butternut sop hier kom ons!
    Nico Swart

ZS6NJS

I are getting hungry, again
    Willem

(workshop whore)

Quote Originally Posted by MANDREAS View Post
    Dit is nie werklik iets om oor na te dink nie Emmie, ek weet wat die antwoord is tot die vraagstuk is. Moet maar net my gat in rat kry. Wat ek wel goed weet is dat dit nie veel sal help om te begin oefen en reg te eet as ek nie weer die "sigaret-duiwel" op sy plek sit nie.
    Dit is hoekom ek jou die vrae vra. Dit is nie dat jy nie weet wat om te doen nie, dit is dat jy dit nie doen nie. Die rede vir jou uitstel l in my vrae. Vind die antwoord vir die uitstel en dan is aksie maklik.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Emmie L For This Useful Post:

Want my vrou maak lekker kos.

En natuurlik die tye oor die naweek wanneer die bier jou oordeel beinvloed
    2020 Ford Everest XLT 2.0 (Swambo)
    2018 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew123 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by C Africa View Post

C
    Hahaha. Nice try but nope.

I did not say that I drank additional water. I said that I drank only water. So your theory doesn't hold. Also, I supplement with electrolytes when fasting so that part of your theory also collapses.

What I'm removing is the insulin response and accompanying hormonal changes that come with eating. Fasting allows the body to rest and repair and is very different from a 'water diet'. I love the assumptions that you guys make.

I'm sure you are also secretly accusing me of eating all sorts, because according to your theories all people are fat because they overeat. THAT IS NOT TRUE
    Last edited by Emmie L; 2021/05/18 at 12:29 PM.

Hahaha. Nice try but nope.

I did not say that I drank additional water. I said that I drank only water. So your theory doesn't hold.

What I'm removing is the insulin response and accompanying hormonal changes that come with eating. Fasting allows the body to rest and repair and is very different from a 'water diet'. I love the assumptions that you guys make.

I'm sure you are also secretly accusing me of eating all sorts, because according to your theories all people are fat because they overeat. THAT IS NOT TRUE
    Nee jy lees heeltemal te veel hierin.

Ek sien net hulp in sy post, in die vorm van moontlike verduidelikings wat moontlik die oorsaak mag wees.

We are not out to "get" you.
    Nico Swart

ZS6NJS

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Die SwartKat For This Useful Post:

WAJ

I think what catches most people, is the shear mountain of a task that lays/lies ahead of them.

Guys and gals, it does not have to happen within a month or 2, and you may still afford yourself some of the little sinful pleasures once in a while.

This is probably over simplifying it, but once you made this lifestyle choice, start small but stick to it whatever you decided.

What I've been doing for the past 6 weeks (as I also needed to lose 5kgs) is merely the following:

1. I cut out coffee during the week because I cannot stand to drink the stuff without sugar and believe me I've tried. Being use to 2 cups a day, that's a lot of sugar now gone

And even with this, the progress is slow but definitely visible. I lose on average about 400 - 600 grams a week.

Give it time!!!
    I agree, Nico. There's no red lollipop to be won by rushing through it. Implementing sustainable changes takes time.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emmie L For This Useful Post:

Nee jy lees heeltemal te veel hierin.

Ek sien net hulp in sy post, in die vorm van moontlike verduidelikings wat moontlik die oorsaak mag wees.

We are not out to "get" you.
    I don't think he's out to get me. I'm just challenging his smug and sure certainty which he felt free to express to those around him that all fat people are fat because they eat too much. He does not have the authority to make that judgement about anyone. Especially when his life has been so protected that he never met scenarios where people gain weight without their permission or willing particpation.

Fat people are not unaware that they are fat and need to do something about it. They are not doing something about it because it is a battle they cannot currently fight. Or they are fighting it but in private. Being judged is not helpful in either scenario.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast