Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Pearson institute/ private university

Anybody had kids study there?

Do their degrees carry weight when applying for a position or does the CV go straight into the shredder?
    Christa
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT

BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Default Re: Pearson institute/ private university

Sjoe, is everyone occupied so with Mandreas's 'Over(h)eating' thread or does nobody honestly have any knowledge of Pearson?
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2021/05/17 at 01:43 PM.
    Christa

3. The Following User Says Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

Mr. Karol Joszkowski
    2011 VW Touareg V.8 TDI
    2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi air suspension aka Pumba ( sold)
    2003 Pajero IO 2.0 aka Bosvark

I had to google them. Did not know they existed but looks like a big operation they are running. Sadly I do not know anyone that studied there.
    Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 D-ID GLX LWB

My daughter started at Pearsonís this year. My wife did all the research & everything checked out.

Qualifications are the same as a degree at any other varsity studying the same thing.

They are more expensive but the facilities are 2nd to none. You also donít have 100 students in a class & none of the students seem to want to burn the place down, like with lesser varsities.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to XJ Junky For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by XJ Junky View Post
    My daughter started at Pearsonís this year. My wife did all the research & everything checked out.

Qualifications are the same as a degree at any other varsity studying the same thing.

They are more expensive but the facilities are 2nd to none. You also donít have 100 students in a class & none of the students seem to want to burn the place down, like with lesser varsities.
    Yes this is also my understanding.

They come highly recommended.
    Zerubbabel 2 the 2008 4.8 turbo Patrol with some kit
    Nothing, not even a mighty mountain, will stand in Zerubbabelís way! (Zech 4:7)

I forgot to mention, with the right school marks they dish out plenty of bursaries.

I got a R36k refund last month, which was rather good.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to XJ Junky For This Useful Post:

They sold to Stellenbosch Graduate Institute and EXEO Capital, effective February 2021

Maybe follow that trail also
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Total 4x4 Novice with no experience whats-so-ever

''Nothing makes the Earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes''. H.D. Thoreau.

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

I think one must still take into account perceptions. I'm not in HR but I do interview all our new article clerks so I review a few hundred first time job seeker CVs a year. I definitely attach more weight to those who have come from (good) traditional universities than some of the new universities like Varsity College.

I'm sure most employers would assume a better quality of education at a UCT, Stellies, Tuks than Pearson, Varsity College etc.

Perhaps in time they will become more accepted but for now with all the hurdles facing young white males I wouldn't want to add convincing people of my qualification's excellence.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Half-Pint For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Half-Pint View Post
    I think one must still take into account perceptions. I'm not in HR but I do interview all our new article clerks so I review a few hundred first time job seeker CVs a year. I definitely attach more weight to those who have come from (good) traditional universities than some of the new universities like Varsity College.

I'm sure most employers would assume a better quality of education at a UCT, Stellies, Tuks than Pearson, Varsity College etc.

Perhaps in time they will become more accepted but for now with all the hurdles facing young white males I wouldn't want to add convincing people of my qualification's excellence.
    I assume that all graduates have exhibited Implicit Knowledge which can add very little value to my/ a business. I have a tendency not to be swayed by the institution, in fact, I probably have a leaning more towards the private institutions. The critical factor here is accreditation, both locally and internationally. If that is in place, I look at the marks. Lets face it, graduates are cannon fodder or grist for the mill (Appies) until such time that they exhibit Explicit Knowledge (can add or create value in a business).
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Total 4x4 Novice with no experience whats-so-ever

''Nothing makes the Earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes''. H.D. Thoreau.

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

Maybe time to reconsider your "assumptions". You may be missing out on something worthwhile.
    Last edited by hatjohan; 2021/05/17 at 01:03 PM.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to hatjohan For This Useful Post:

Its unfortunate that people still do this. I guess its understandable that people feel more comfortable with the traditional universities though.

For me in any way, by the time i was halfway with my first year i was ahead in syllabus than a friend at TUKS. Keep in mind that with the private institution (albeit not all of them) the study method is self study. If a student finishes in the right time, or ahead of schedule in my mind he/she is a self starter and a hard worker. I would look at employing someone who has taken the initiative to grab a book and study the material and then put the words into motion with no push from a lecturer or his assistant.
    A journey is a person in itself; no two are alike. And all plans, safeguards, policing, and coercion are fruitless. We find that after years of struggle that we do not take a trip; a trip takes us.
    John Steinbeck

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wessel_JHB For This Useful Post:

I used to be an Economics lecturer for about four years at Midrand Graduate Institute (before they were taken over by Pearson Holdings a few years ago, becoming Pearson Institute of Higher Education). Their standards were never poor by any means and have only increased over the last five or so years. I'm still involved with them on an external basis (moderation, online development etc.).

If the question is: will they get suitable employment with a PIHE degree? There shouldn't be a reason not to (bar the poor economic performance in S.A and youth unemployment in general). All qualifications are legitimate and obviously accredited by the Council of Higher Education. I was pleasantly recognised and greeted by former students of mine on a few occasions in my current as well as former roles of employment (two of S.A's largest investment banks) where they have found jobs.

This is not a biased opinion at all, just some insight
    Last edited by Alwyn777; 2021/05/17 at 01:04 PM.
    2012 Jeep Wrangler JKUR
    35/12.50/17 BFG KM2s
    AEV Heat Reduction Hood

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Alwyn777 For This Useful Post:

Thanks everyone, the replies are much appreciated. A real world view of people doing the hiring, their perceptions of, and experiences with Pearson graduates is what I was looking for. As well as parents. It is clear that the traditional biases still remains, no offense Half-pint.

Quote Originally Posted by XJ Junky View Post
    My daughter started at Pearson’s this year. My wife did all the research & everything checked out..
    What is your daughter studying, if I may ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    They sold to Stellenbosch Graduate Institute and EXEO Capital, effective February 2021. Maybe follow that trail also
    I saw mention of that on their website, no idea what it means, but I have made a mental note to look into it further.

My son has been provisionally accepted at TUKS for next year. Depending on his final Gr12 marks off course. But if he somehow manages to make a dog's dinner of his matric exam, he may not meet the minimum degree entry requirements for the degree he has been provisionally accepted and TUKS will then be out for next year.

So I am looking into a plan B and plan C, etc. Pearson has a degree similar to what he was accepted for at TUKS plus Pearson offers a few short courses and diplomas which looks promising and which could keep him busy while we get our ducks in a row again. Either re-apply at TUKS or overseas. They do have the accreditation and the NQF levels are the same as TUKS.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2021/05/17 at 01:40 PM.
    Christa

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

Hi Christa

What does he want to study ?

For what was he accepted at TUKS ?

I have one son doing LLB @ UNISA and one doing QS @ TUKS.

Strongs for him - not an easy time to make these calls on your future.

Cheers

Nico
    Nico van Diemen

'91 BYB - Big Yellow Bus - Ex-CT Tdi Disco

'05 BOV - Big Orange Van - TDV6 D3 G4 It met a COW and is Gone, gone , gone ... replaced
    '11 - D4 V8 - BLACK (for now )
    '10 JK Sahara 2 Door - Open top for me and my boys - 3.8 V6 lifted muds bumpers sorted - Yip also orange
    '16 KIA SEDONA - 11 SEATS
    SWAMBO: Black RCZ

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    I assume that all graduates have exhibited Implicit Knowledge which can add very little value to my/ a business. I have a tendency not to be swayed by the institution, in fact, I probably have a leaning more towards the private institutions. The critical factor here is accreditation, both locally and internationally. If that is in place, I look at the marks. Lets face it, graduates are cannon fodder or grist for the mill (Appies) until such time that they exhibit Explicit Knowledge (can add or create value in a business).
    Yes graduates are cannon fodder but in a small professional firm we do not have time for extensive mentoring programs to shape graduates for the cannon. You need to arrive on day 1 understanding the basics of your profession. If we still need to mould you to the cannon its not going to work out for us.

Through experience we have found that some universities churn out graduates who can barely find their own way from the parking lot but somehow have a legal qualification. All this despite being accredited.

Avoiding those particular institutions mitigates (not avoids) our risk of employing dead weight.

Quote Originally Posted by hatjohan View Post
    Maybe time to reconsider your "assumptions". You may be missing out on something worthwhile.
    It is highly probable that we are, however keep in mind that when we advertise an article clerk position you might receive 2000+ CVs. We therefore have no option but to thin out the numbers quickly. So yes there might be a gem who studied at University of Fort Hare or many other institutions but I don't have the time to find them (there are posts to be made on 4x4 Community ).

Picking from a select few traditional universities has delivered the most reliable results with least effort for us. We are after all employing article clerks and not CEOs!

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    Thanks everyone, the replies are much appreciated. A real world view of people doing the hiring, their perceptions of, and experiences with Pearson graduates is what I was looking for. As well as parents. It is clear that the traditional biases still remains, no offense Half-pint.
    No offence at all. My point was exactly what you took from it. Many involved in hiring would have a bias whether that has any grounding in reality or not

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Half-Pint For This Useful Post:

My only gripe here is ( and I was guilty of it too) Is that you mention Pearson institute in the same breath as Varsity College. I do believe they are vastly different and many leaders are aware of those differences.
    Zerubbabel 2 the 2008 4.8 turbo Patrol with some kit
    Nothing, not even a mighty mountain, will stand in Zerubbabelís way! (Zech 4:7)

Two things that make me wonder: Pearsons does not appear on the DHET list of accredited Private Higher Education Institutions. Their own website is also strangely quiet on their accreditation status.

I suggest you contact them and ask them for the DHET Accreditation Number.
    Johan Swanepoel

"Nkabe ke ngwana wa morago"

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Swannie1960 For This Useful Post:

Yes graduates are cannon fodder but in a small professional firm we do not have time for extensive mentoring programs to shape graduates for the cannon. You need to arrive on day 1 understanding the basics of your profession. If we still need to mould you to the cannon its not going to work out for us.

Through experience we have found that some universities churn out graduates who can barely find their own way from the parking lot but somehow have a legal qualification. All this despite being accredited.

Avoiding those particular institutions mitigates (not avoids) our risk of employing dead weight.

It is highly probable that we are, however keep in mind that when we advertise an article clerk position you might receive 2000+ CVs. We therefore have no option but to thin out the numbers quickly. So yes there might be a gem who studied at University of Fort Hare or many other institutions but I don't have the time to find them (there are posts to be made on 4x4 Community ).

Picking from a select few traditional universities has delivered the most reliable results with least effort for us. We are after all employing article clerks and not CEOs!

No offence at all. My point was exactly what you took from it. Many involved in hiring would have a bias whether that has any grounding in reality or not
    Your post reflects the reality of the situation in terms of the majority of potential employers. There are so many new entrants into the higher education space and it's impossible for companies to keep track, this is further compounded by the lack of regulatory review of the new entrants in this space. Faced with a choice between two similar candidates you can expect the candidate from the better known institution to get the nod.

My advice is to ask a potential employer on their view of this institution that will speak volumes.

Quote Originally Posted by Swannie1960 View Post
    Two things that make me wonder: Pearsons does not appear on the DHET list of accredited Private Higher Education Institutions. Their own website is also strangely quiet on their accreditation status.

I suggest you contact them and ask them for the DHET Accreditation Number.
    2001/HE07/008

As mentioned, the holding company is no longer Pearson but Eduvos (Pty) Ltd but still the same accreditation number since 2001
    Last edited by Alwyn777; 2021/05/17 at 03:34 PM.
    2012 Jeep Wrangler JKUR
    35/12.50/17 BFG KM2s
    AEV Heat Reduction Hood

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alwyn777 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast