Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Advice CKGR camping.

Good day! I would like opinions regarding best camping sites in CKGR. I know 4 nights is not enough. If it is all the time we have, how must we spend it?
    Thanks!

Default Re: Advice CKGR camping.

Not nearly enough yes.

You don't mention via which gate you arrive and leave. That can play a role. I will spend all 4 nights at one site.

Assuming you enter and exit at Matswere gate, I would opt for Kori or Sunday pan sites.
    Christa
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT

BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

3. The Following User Says Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

Yes we will enter and exit at Matswere. Any particular site numbers?

All Sunday pan sites are good. Kori no 4 is quite close to the road.

You will need to book well in advance if you are planning to go in the prime months. Sunday pan sites are extremely popular.
    Christa
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT

BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

6. The Following User Says Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

All of those kori sites , while great - you aren't going to sit in your chair with a nice view of the pan due to trees

From your rtt yes but not your chair

deception 6 is my site i use and they are very seldom booked - but no view of anything

nearby sunday pan 3 you can sit in your chair watching the pan

i second the staying in one place and do game drives that last the day

but any day in the ckgr is a good day

enjoy

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RossJ For This Useful Post:

Sunday 4 - great view on pan- and Kori 3 - big site and the best of Kori - are best. Sunday 3 similar but not too flat. At Kori 3 near the top you can see the pan. Had lion in camp at Sunday 4.

Have the codes if you need.

Kori and Sunday are relatively "close" to each other.

The game at Sunday pan is thin at moment. We went to Sunday 4 2x on this trip, on way in and out. Leopard pan also ok but we saw varied game. We saw most at the top of Passage, about 400 to 500 springboks, Pipers and Lettihau valley, near CKWIL 06 and 07. Changes all the time though.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ed rouillard For This Useful Post:

We tend to commute from camp to camp as the drives are long and brilliant. Don't mind drives from just after sunrise, coffee on a pan somewhere with some game browsing etc. Remoteness is really good as you distance from Sunday/Deception area, but all areas are exceptional, with teeming game or not, and in all seasons.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ed rouillard For This Useful Post:

Apologies forgot to mention we were there end April till 10 days ago. Was wonderful. Very few folk there. Was in Bots school holidays.

"BEST" Campsite, depends on ones taste and you will find that we differ according to our taste. Like for Sunday Pan, Yes 3 and 4 are over the dune and you can see the pan, mostly from Campsite 3, but their close proximity and possibly noise from other campers, had me choosing Sunday02 as my favourite . Open, big and very secluded from other campsites.
    Nowadays for me, 4 days is enough to for a trip there because i average 1 or 2 trips to CKGR per month. BUT if you have energy and you can get space.

This how i did my recent Trip. Stay in Rakops, leave Rakops very early and atleast by 0700 be at the entrance. Then 0730, start a long game drive to deception and 09:00 you there. Take a hour break and at 10:00 I started a long drive to Piper and arrived late afternoon . Set up camp and stay for 3 nights there. Then after 3 nights, drive back slowly to Deception Valley and overnight at Kori. After 4 nights you are out. You can also do 3 nights at Passage and then last night at Sunday Pan and leave. It really depend on you, or do 2 nights Passage02 and 2 nights Sunday Pan.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PAT n WOLF For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PAT n WOLF View Post
    "BEST" Campsite, depends on ones taste and you will find that we differ according to our taste. Like for Sunday Pan, Yes 3 and 4 are over the dune and you can see the pan, mostly from Campsite 3, but their close proximity and possibly noise from other campers, had me choosing Sunday02 as my favourite . Open, big and very secluded from other campsites.
    Nowadays for me, 4 days is enough to for a trip there because i average 1 or 2 trips to CKGR per month. BUT if you have energy and you can get space.hi pay
    This how i did my recent Trip. Stay in Rakops, leave Rakops very early and atleast by 0700 be at the entrance. Then 0730, start a long game drive to deception and 09:00 you there. Take a hour break and at 10:00 I started a long drive to Piper and arrived late afternoon . Set up camp and stay for 3 nights there. Then after 3 nights, drive back slowly to Deception Valley and overnight at Kori. After 4 nights you are out. You can also do 3 nights at Passage and then last night at Sunday Pan and leave. It really depend on you, or do 2 nights Passage02 and 2 nights Sunday Pan.

hi Pat
    what is passarge 3 like and Sunday’s 2! Is piper 1 still the best ?
    thavks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by rossmacg View Post
    hi Pat
    what is passarge 3 like and Sunday’s 2! Is piper 1 still the best ?
    thavks in advance
    CKPAS03 is the least favorite of all the 3 Passage Valley campsite. But it’s ideal if you want to sunset by the Waterhole. It’s the closest to Passage Valley waterhole, which sometimes can deliver the goods. I would opt for it if I’m heading to Piper next day or the rest are fully booked.

Piper 1 is still the best, because of its closeness to the beautiful Pan and near the waterhole. But of recent, as I visit this place very frequent. I have come to conclusion, these two campsites have their pros and cons. CKPIP02 has lot of shade and very large. I just enjoy the shade during the day. And it’s not even far from the waterhole too, you just drive down. I would opt for CKPIP01, but if taken i wouldn’t mind spending my nights at CKPIP02
    Last edited by PAT n WOLF; 2021/05/18 at 03:34 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to PAT n WOLF For This Useful Post:

CKPIP02 . Sorry picture from my phone. Taken 21st April 2021.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

20. The Following User Says Thank You to PAT n WOLF For This Useful Post:

Sunday pan 2 nights
    Deception valley 2 Nights

Thanks Pat, looks great

23. The Following User Says Thank You to rossmacg For This Useful Post:

Thanks PAT and beautiful site. will be right there in September.Regards,

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Rustic Camp For This Useful Post:

All great advice from my recent trip. I did however see lions at the “less popular” sites as well with elephants around us. I found the CKRG is just such an awesome place and you are almost always in for a surprise. But the north does “have more”. We went 5 nights and yes it was too short but it was worth every second. If all else fails take any camp you can get and drive around with stops along the way.

Quick question if I may for the regulars. Which months are quiet and busy in the CKRG?

Quote Originally Posted by Kudus View Post
    All great advice from my recent trip. I did however see lions at the “less popular” sites as well with elephants around us. I found the CKRG is just such an awesome place and you are almost always in for a surprise. But the north does “have more”. We went 5 nights and yes it was too short but it was worth every second. If all else fails take any camp you can get and drive around with stops along the way.

Quick question if I may for the regulars. Which months are quiet and busy in the CKRG?
    Hard to tell. Depends on school holidays and international calendar public holidays like Easters and Christmas. I would put a finger on any month and say its the busiest .....

28. The Following User Says Thank You to PAT n WOLF For This Useful Post:

Hard to tell. Depends on school holidays and international calendar public holidays like Easters and Christmas. I would put a finger on any month and say its the busiest .....
    I assume outside of school holidays are quieter then?
    winter months busier?
    summer months and rainy months quieter?

Or are the visitations mostly constant bit it never gets as busy as moremi and chobe?

Quote Originally Posted by Kudus View Post
    .....Or are the visitations mostly constant bit it never gets as busy as moremi and chobe?
    It is never going to an exact science answering your query but the quote above probably is the most realistic answer.

I would avoid Easter, the Xmas holidays and possibly August and September which had always been the busiest month for international visitors.
    If booking too late for the "chosen" campsites I agree with the statement to accept what you are allocated and just go!
    Stanley Weakley.
    Toyota Landcruiser 76SW 4,2L diesel.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

I would also say that "busy" is a relative term.

Our trip there in 2019 coincided with the government school holidays & private school mid-term during June/July. One would accept this to then be one of the busiest times.

I would conservatively say we saw less than 20 cars and when heading out to Passarge I think we saw 1 car over 36 hrs.

Arriving at Khumaga showed that it is a busy period as almost every site was occupied while CKGR remained quiet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast