Default XCape or XPlore?

Morning, wife and I have decided to join the caravan community, with great enthusiasm I might add. Challenge is we've never owned a caravan and as such are clueless, suffice to say it has to be off road. We own towing vehicles, but as for which model what year, what tents, what extras, etc.....we have no clue����

any chance of some guidance from the experts would be greatly appreciated. Our needs are, off road, easy applications, example setting it all up (don’t wanna end up arguing with the misses before we even pour of first G&T) Our daughter of 17 might join us on the odd excursion so a third bed or place for similar would come in handy.

second hand purchase with budget of around R230k all in.
    ASB

ps. I say XPlore or XCape but feel free to name any other. I don’t know the difference anyway
    Last edited by TonyG; 2021/05/16 at 08:08 AM.
    "...and in the end, it's not the years in your life that count, but the life in your years.."

Default Re: XCape or XPlore?

U gone get a lot of different opinions. I had an explorer and loved it and miss it sometimes but its heavy to.move and mine was old so started to cost money. But loved the space inside and eas of setup.

I moved to off road trailer as we are only 2 and bought the bush lapa miskruier. Lighter and easy setup. 4 sleeper.

But take your time do research and if possible take them on a weekend rent camp trip and see what works.and what dont. For yiur budget u can get some nice deals

Good.luck

2017 VW Amarok 3.0 TDi V6 4Motion D/Cab
    2020 VW T Cross Highline R Line
    2019 Bushlapa Miskruier 1616

Xcape is a 2 sleeper and Xplorer is a 4 sleeper inside the caravan.

I would suggest you draw up a list of needs, then find a caravan to match...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RoddieJ For This Useful Post:

Newer xplorer has a modular tent. This requires 2 people to errect due to poles. We always slept in the front tent, except when doing an overnight stop, and then we slept at the back. Bathroom was a big plus. However it's a heavy van (very heavy) and I was running with a nose weight of 128kg. Was good for stability but the towbar takes punishment

Quote Originally Posted by RoddieJ View Post
    Xcape is a 2 sleeper and Xplorer is a 4 sleeper inside the caravan.

I would suggest you draw up a list of needs, then find a caravan to match...
    Do this and go and see for yourself. You'll quickly get a feel of what's going to work for you and what not. Also you'll get an idea of quality as the Xplorer will be a few years older than the Xcape for the same price.
    D23 Navara LE Auto 4x4 with OME suspension + TJM Airtec Snorkel
    Jurgens Xcape
    Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 75th Anniversary Edition in Sargent Green (sad to have sold it)
    Jeep Wrangler Sahara 3.6 2dr (sold)
    Jurgens XT140 (sold)
    ex VW Amarok 4motion (X3)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 1965Landy For This Useful Post:

Hi,

We have owned both. Both very solid and off road capable. In our opinion the Excape is an more comfortable caravan to camp with if you are just two and much easier to handle and setup. But as others have said look around, personally if I wanted to buy one now I would look at the imagine comfort van, you get it in a 2 sleeper as well as 4 sleeper.

Regards,

I would advise trying to rent one or the other, or any other option for that matter, before buying to get a feel for what you need. It certainly opened my eyes and gave me a whole new perspective when I first rented one.

Personally, if you can find a good rental firm, I would never buy. You do however then lose the ability to customize or take a break on a short notice.
    2018 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 4X4
    2016 Mazda CX-3 2.0 Dynamic Auto - Sold
    2012 VW Tiguan 2.0TDi Bluemotion - Sold
    2009 Ford Fiesta 1.6 Titanium 3 door - Sold

Me and wife tour and camped for the past twenty years in Explorers. First tow it with a Colt 2.8 and now with a Toyota Hilux.
    No problems at all with towing. The heaviness of the caravan is not any issue for us. It is stable and just go where the vehicle go. We toured Namibia, Zambia, Botswana,you name it. We love the Explorer!

It is a very practical and sturdy caravan. It is well designed and easy to maintain. If the grand children come long, they take the front bed. Wife and me use the kings bed. Practical Privi tent and outdoor kitchen. Caravan is well insulated. You can just park the Caravan and sleep if needed. I sold my previous Explorer for more than I paid for it ten years ago. That is one of the reasons I bought a second one. It is also easy to modify the caravan to suit your specific needs.

Good luck with your choice!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Laevelder For This Useful Post:

Thanks.

All the information provided has really given me quite a bit of insight and a better understanding of where to from here...

I value this and if there's anything else you feel I need to know or learn about, pls share.

take care and be safe.

Ps. Now to find one.......
    "...and in the end, it's not the years in your life that count, but the life in your years.."

Quote Originally Posted by TonyG View Post
    Thanks.

All the information provided has really given me quite a bit of insight and a better understanding of where to from here...

I value this and if there's anything else you feel I need to know or learn about, pls share.

take care and be safe.

There are more Xplorer caravans for sale so should be an easy fine. The Xcape one the otherhand is a different story.

Enjoy the search and experience.
    Jurgens Xcape
    Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 75th Anniversary Edition in Sargent Green (sad to have sold it)
    Jurgens XT140 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyG View Post
    Thanks.

take care and be safe.

I see you're for Knysna. Campworld in Mossel Bay have a few secondhand Xplorer's and i think 2 new Xcape's.
    Jurgens Xcape
    Jurgens XT140 (sold)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to 1965Landy For This Useful Post:

From the two you mention the XCape is out.

However, as many said above, don't rush into this. A post like yours would generate a lot of "Look at this..." type response and probably confuse you even further.

I'd suggest, at your own time, look at magazines, read all the various threads here, speak to people, read up on options and then make a short list of those that "talk" to you. There isn't something like a bad van. If there were, they wouldn't be on the market anymore.

Then take that shortlist and physically go and look at them. Not just look, but sit in them and imagine how you'll camp with it. Would it suit your camping style? How would you pack it? Can you imagine your family with it? Is the build material to you satisfaction? Does it feature the options you imagined to have? Would it work? Would the family like it? Is the layout to your/the family's liking? Sit and dream and think.

Once you've done this, I promise you, you'll end up with a clear winner for your personal requirements.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, might not be factually correct, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

As mentioned make a list what you need/want.

Never buy anything in these price ranges before you have had couple trips by borrowing or renting. I have seen too many one trip caravans of all types being sold. "Love we must buy and go on a holiday" After the trip "Why did you buy this. Never again."

Off road can be many things. For some it is to get off the paving, to the sand roads, in the bush without any facilities. If a person has never camped then I would go first using a road caravan. They are no good on sand roads but if a person cannot manage without luxuries like dishwasher, oven... then forget about it. SWAMBO must have a good chair There are really well priced 2nd hand vans on sale.

Having a van and a vehicle for a sand road and setting a camp in established places is an option. We mainly do this - age and my work. In 20 years person will not run out of places to see and go. Next "step" is to go totally into the bush without any facilities. That means a different setup. I would definitely not start on this as the first step.

I can talk about Xplorer:

There are many models. They are easy to get. We are two. We have double bed, one door and opening front. We do not take with us all the front bed mattresses. If needed one person can sleep without opening the front. I bought this model (2nd hand) as we sleep in one bed, we do not need 2nd door for shower entry and only 2 people. I can work inside and outside. We take with only small part of the tents we have. One wall and "ralley". If we take all the tents we can sleep 4 inside and X number in a full tent. We can take even our add on tent...

Xplorer is perfect for sand roads. In windy conditions no issues with tents, it has potential for camping totally off established areas. It is heavy so budget for a mover R15 000.00 as a round figure. Warm during winter compared to a tent type. It is something between a road van and off road trailer. In really rough conditions you need tools with you.

It is possible to buy one well below the budget price given.

In my youth I was mad enough to camp in a tent. For over 20 years we have had a road van, then for "couple" years off road trailer and now Xplorer. We have used time share, we have a cottage... Basically seen all. We changed to Xplorer as SWAMBO was tired of getting up to the bed in the trailer, limited kitchen and similar. However road van was no good as the sand roads are out. I can travel "endlessly" if I can work. Xplorer is big enough for that.

Buy from reputable dealers before holiday buying rush. Read XPlorer fan club thread

List needed as minimum:
    - fridge/freezer
    - Ralley and one wall
    - Chairs (good)
    - 2 to 3 tables
    - Pots, pans, food
    - Charge possibility while driving
    - Possibly solar panels
    - Controller for solar and car charging
    - Proper intelligent charger
    - Possibly inverter
    - Ground cover
    - Spade
    - Tools
    - Braai stuff

If needed I can make more comprehensive list what we carry and why. PM if you like to get such.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    From the two you mention the XCape is out.

However, as many said above, don't rush into this. A post like yours would generate a lot of "Look at this..." type response and probably confuse you even further.

I'd suggest, at your own time, look at magazines, read all the various threads here, speak to people, read up on options and then make a short list of those that "talk" to you. There isn't something like a bad van. If there were, they wouldn't be on the market anymore.

Then take that shortlist and physically go and look at them. Not just look, but sit in them and imagine how you'll camp with it. Would it suit your camping style? How would you pack it? Can you imagine your family with it? Is the build material to you satisfaction? Does it feature the options you imagined to have? Would it work? Would the family like it? Is the layout to your/the family's liking? Sit and dream and think.

Once you've done this, I promise you, you'll end up with a clear winner for your personal requirements.
    So true and in fact, we have now looked at a few and are confused/ Having said that, we do have a far better understanding for the various models and now have a clear vision of which ones. I think we have it narrowed down to two models. thanks for your help!! I truly value that.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to TonyG For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko View Post
    As mentioned make a list what you need/want.

Never buy anything in these price ranges before you have had couple trips by borrowing or renting. I have seen too many one trip caravans of all types being sold. "Love we must buy and go on a holiday" After the trip "Why did you buy this. Never again."

Off road can be many things. For some it is to get off the paving, to the sand roads, in the bush without any facilities. If a person has never camped then I would go first using a road caravan. They are no good on sand roads but if a person cannot manage without luxuries like dishwasher, oven... then forget about it. SWAMBO must have a good chair There are really well priced 2nd hand vans on sale.

Having a van and a vehicle for a sand road and setting a camp in established places is an option. We mainly do this - age and my work. In 20 years person will not run out of places to see and go. Next "step" is to go totally into the bush without any facilities. That means a different setup. I would definitely not start on this as the first step.

I can talk about Xplorer:

There are many models. They are easy to get. We are two. We have double bed, one door and opening front. We do not take with us all the front bed mattresses. If needed one person can sleep without opening the front. I bought this model (2nd hand) as we sleep in one bed, we do not need 2nd door for shower entry and only 2 people. I can work inside and outside. We take with only small part of the tents we have. One wall and "ralley". If we take all the tents we can sleep 4 inside and X number in a full tent. We can take even our add on tent...

Xplorer is perfect for sand roads. In windy conditions no issues with tents, it has potential for camping totally off established areas. It is heavy so budget for a mover R15 000.00 as a round figure. Warm during winter compared to a tent type. It is something between a road van and off road trailer. In really rough conditions you need tools with you.

It is possible to buy one well below the budget price given.

In my youth I was mad enough to camp in a tent. For over 20 years we have had a road van, then for "couple" years off road trailer and now Xplorer. We have used time share, we have a cottage... Basically seen all. We changed to Xplorer as SWAMBO was tired of getting up to the bed in the trailer, limited kitchen and similar. However road van was no good as the sand roads are out. I can travel "endlessly" if I can work. Xplorer is big enough for that.

Buy from reputable dealers before holiday buying rush. Read XPlorer fan club thread

List needed as minimum:
    - fridge/freezer
    - Ralley and one wall
    - Chairs (good)
    - 2 to 3 tables
    - Pots, pans, food
    - Charge possibility while driving
    - Possibly solar panels
    - Controller for solar and car charging
    - Proper intelligent charger
    - Possibly inverter
    - Ground cover
    - Spade
    - Tools
    - Braai stuff

If needed I can make more comprehensive list what we carry and why. PM if you like to get such.
    I can see this is not your first rodeo!!!

Lots making sense here and I think Im gonna rent one and see how it goes....That is if I dont find a bargain and need to act quickly, but lets see.

Gonna mail you put for a more comprehensive list pls!! This is all new to me and wanna make sure that "happy wife, happy life" principle applies. Ny ignorance, pls forgive me : Ralley and one wall, what is this?

Thanks so much for the support

We had both vans, found the xcape super capable with a very quick set up time, did however find it a little cramped both inside amd under the awning. The sleeping setup also took some getting used too.
    The explore was a big upgrade, had it for 8 very very happy years, it is heavy, I donít however see that as a major drawback. It also towed like it was on rails, due to the heavy nose.
    nice and comfortable inside area with a larger outside area, a big plusís is the pull out kitchen amd outside shower.
    good luck.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to mike101 For This Useful Post: