Underbody Protection or training?

Question Underbody Protection or training?

Which one would provide more useful to obtain first?

I need both eventually, and do not plan to do anything too hectic until after I have done an offroad training course (grade 3 trails max atm).

Without training, underbody protection is vital, especially replacing the thin rubbish underneath the colt, and continues to be useful after training.

Without underbody protection, training is vital because wrong lines/techniques will no doubt lead to damage.

As I said I shall get both in due time...but which one FIRST?

Im leaning towards training first - but would like your opinions as I will beable to do grade 3 trails without training but risk damage to both vehicle and trail - not to mention I like something physical to show for my money like a nice thick plate.

your thoughts?

- Owen
    2001 Mitsubishi Colt 2.4i Trailbuster
    Ironman Suspension
    40mm Body lift
    31x10.5x15 Cooper STTs

Training first

By choosing the right lines, etc you will hardly cause any damage IMO

I still have the standard tin plates on the ranger and haven't damaged anything there and I've driven my ranger where very few others have gone
    Christo Davids
    Land Cruiser 105 4500 EFI
    Hilux 2.8GD6 Extracab 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Christo Davids View Post
    Training first

By choosing the right lines, etc you will hardly cause any damage IMO
    I'd be careful there. It all depends what you want to doI'm gatvoll of training and still learn every time I go out. A rock you havent seen, a slip and you have a different line, a momentary lapse of reason (or looking away) are just a few things that can cause damage.

On the Colt I would take off them running boards (if you haven,t done so already) and replace the first plate under the engine. You WILL knock that at some stage, either intentionally or not..
    "A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster "
    By Jeremy Clarkson (I think)

Agree with BigRed, but let me define damage:

IMO bending your running boards, scraping your gearbox cross member, etc is not causing damage, damage imo is like bashing a hole in your sump, etc. If you don't want to dent your running boards, get protection first as you will bend these on the first trail, but they are cosmetic only...
    Christo Davids
    Land Cruiser 105 4500 EFI
    Hilux 2.8GD6 Extracab 4x4

Colts need good thick bashplates before anything else. I've said it before and I'll keep saying it. Colt bashplates are rubbish. Quality bashplates, apart from obviously protecting your important bits, gives you confidence which immediately makes you and your vehicle a better combo. Do the bashplates asap.
    I'll go so far as to say that if I had fitted good bashplates sooner then I would never have bothered fitting bigger tyres etc.
    * "Wat Spike probeer sÍ in sy min woorde" -Die Skim "
    .................................................. .....

Running boards were the first things to come off, but im worried about real damage that I have to pay for, something broken rather than something scratched.

as you say bigred even after a lot of training you are learning new things so one training may help me exponentially BUT I shall not be good enough to make the correct choices ALL the time (if anybody ever does) and therefore the protection might come in more use to a novice with or without training...

*lean*

- Owen
    Ironman Suspension
    40mm Body lift
    31x10.5x15 Cooper STTs

nevermind im doing what spike says...

thanks

- Owen
    Ironman Suspension
    40mm Body lift
    31x10.5x15 Cooper STTs

As a rooki in the same boat as Mellivora, I tend to agree with BigRed. The one trail I did, was not very demanding as a whole, but there were sections where whatever line you chose had rocks connecting with the bottom of my, admittedly very low, standard GC.

I was guided through these sections by very capable members of the 4WD club and fortunately suffered no damage, but until I have better protection and clearance, will not venture into rocky areas without expert guidance. Even some of their vehicles with suspension lifts scraped over some boulders.

I have already started designing diff protectors and have identified a few areas where additional underbody protection will be handy. I am also looking at a moderate lift kit and steel rims for off road use.

Lastly, training is important as well and I plan to attend the 4WD club's next training course.

When driving a trail you hear noises under the bakkie and have no idea if it's serious or minor. With bashplates you still try do the right thing, you just don't have to concern yourself with the noises because you know you won't break anything.

If you're in a situation where you have no choice but to risk hitting a rock then you can safely ease the vehicle down onto the rock and slide over it on your belly.
    * "Wat Spike probeer sÍ in sy min woorde" -Die Skim "
    .................................................. .....

Best innexpensive investment modification you can make. It can save you thousands of rands and agony. The Nissan one fits the colt like a glove
    ORA
    -------------------------
    Ian

Sorry a senior moment, this follows on from the above post .
    ORA
    Ian

sapper Guest

Just be mindfull not to put these plates to close to your exhaust if you do it yourself because this WILL become a fire hazard if not cleaned on a regular basis.

Trying again he hehe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1825.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	105.8 KB 
ID:	34073   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1821 (WinCE).JPG 
Views:	119 
Size:	16.2 KB 
ID:	34074  
    ORA
    Ian