Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Warning - Hyena inside Lower Sabie camp

Just a warning to campers in this camp.
    One camper saw the 2 hyenas at about 21h00 and the other guy faced it 02h00 on his way from the ablution.

Although it has been a common sight I think it is still good for us to be very careful.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ekkekan For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Warning - Hyena inside Lower Sabie camp

There are Hyenas in Most camps every night < A Fence is a False sense of Security. I saw a Leopard jump over the Grid at the main Gate at Lower Sabie at 3pm in the afternoon and it was never found . Hyenas only have a reputation of harming Humans when asleeep and all Incidents that I know of with Hyenas in Kruger have been sleepers apart from the idiot who let his 3 yr old daughter put her hand through the fence at a Human taught begging Hyena at Balule one afternoon .>> You are in more danger of living in Hoedspruit and getting a fatal bite from a Malaria Mozzie than saying Hi to a Hyena on the way to the loo at night>. Leopards come into Camp most Nights in camps like Tamboti etc > Having said that I have never camped at Lower Sabie since they Moved the camp 30 years ago to its present position >> Zero Bush Atmosphere and way too crowded on the roads
    Last edited by Peter Betts; 2021/05/07 at 07:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Betts View Post
    There are Hyenas in Most camps every night < A Fence is a False sense of Security. I saw a Leopard jump over the Grid at the main Gate at Lower Sabie at 3pm in the afternoon and it was never found . Hyenas only have a reputation of harming Humans when asleeep and all Incidents that I know of with Hyenas in Kruger have been sleepers apart from the idiot who let his 3 yr old daughter put her hand through the fence at a Human taught begging Hyena at Balule one afternoon .>> You are in more danger of living in Hoedspruit and getting a fatal bite from a Malaria Mozzie than saying Hi to a Hyena on the way to the loo at night>. Leopards come into Camp most Nights in camps like Tamboti etc > Having said that I have never camped at Lower Sabie since they Moved the camp 30 years ago to its present position >> Zero Bush Atmosphere and way too crowded on the roads
    Peter, you keep missing the space bar, or have you moved the full stop?

2021 FJ Cruiser

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hedgehog For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    Peter, you keep missing the space bar, or have you moved the full stop?

I think he is typing in Word or Wordpad and then pasting into the reply. Very annoy and difficult to read - mostly used by people who drives Everests to save time!
    Everything is a hammer.
    Unless it is a screw driver.

Then it it a chisel.

083 399 2046

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Uys For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Betts View Post
    There are Hyenas in Most camps every night
    I beg to differ, around the camps maybe, inside not so much.
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8
    Conqueror Courage 2016

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DC Polokwane For This Useful Post:

Take Crocodile Bridge for example.

The fence is not that high. We camped right at the entrance against the fence and at around 21h00, there were many lions very close to the fence. I'm sure if they get a run up they will be able to clear that fence.

At the same night, when I came back from the shower, I saw a lot of nyala lying next to the ablutions. They seemed chilled so I thought now is my time to gap it to the caravan.

Many moons ago there was a leopard in Letaba. Just heard cars and people scrambling around late the night and heard the next morning it was shot right outside the shops.
    My ryding: 'n Ding met 4 rubber sirkels en n enjin wat nou en dan aangedryf word met al 4 sirkels

Quote Originally Posted by DC Polokwane View Post
    I beg to differ, around the camps maybe, inside not so much.
    Pete has been going to Kruger every year for 168 years, he has his own lions in the park AND he knows the first born children of every field ranger who has worked there since 1820.

Please don't argue with him, you know nothing

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Half-Pint For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by IcePick88 View Post
    Many moons ago there was a leopard in Letaba. Just heard cars and people scrambling around late the night and heard the next morning it was shot right outside the shops.
    This I don't understand... why shoot it?Did it harm anyone? I've heard of leopards in Berg-en-Dal a few times, with rumours of the same outcome for a few unlucky ones.

Everybody knows a fence is not going to keep a leopard out.. it barely keeps a warthog or kudu on the other side.

People seem to forget that you are staying in THEIR home, leave them and let them be, a fence around your camp does not mean dangerous animals will stay on the other side!
    NJ Vermaak

Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D | Bush Lapa Miskruier 404

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to njvermaak For This Useful Post:

Thanks for all the warnings. I have never seen them inside a camp and yes leopards cannot be stopped. Hyenas have attacked in the past.
    I only posted it after 2 campers I know have reported it during the week.
    I hope we can see the lions at Krokkies.

Quote Originally Posted by Half-Pint View Post
    Pete has been going to Kruger every year for 168 years, he has his own lions in the park AND he knows the first born children of every field ranger who has worked there since 1820.

I find this post slightly disrespectful.

A WK, XJ and a Ducati...

"Stil, broers,daar gaan ‘n man verby, hy groet, en dis verlaas.
    Daar’s nog maar een soos hy; bekyk hom goed."

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rainier Vermaak For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by njvermaak View Post
    This I don't understand... why shoot it?Did it harm anyone? I've heard of leopards in Berg-en-Dal a few times, with rumours of the same outcome for a few unlucky ones.

Everybody knows a fence is not going to keep a leopard out.. it barely keeps a warthog or kudu on the other side.

People seem to forget that you are staying in THEIR home, leave them and let them be, a fence around your camp does not mean dangerous animals will stay on the other side!
    Yeah not sure hey.

They obviously come for the easy prey in the camp, but I guess if the animal makes it a regular thing, it could pose a danger to the people inside the camp.
    Camps are "considered" to be predator free, so people roam late at night with a false sense of security. I still walk with eyes behind my back when going to the ablutions late at night or early morning. Even in heavily commercialized camps.

My thinking is to relocate it to a far away area of the Kruger??
    My ryding: 'n Ding met 4 rubber sirkels en n enjin wat nou en dan aangedryf word met al 4 sirkels

Quote Originally Posted by ekkekan View Post
    I hope we can see the lions at Krokkies.
    Our experience was quit comical.

Sitting around the fire, we heard a lion roar. My wife say, nah, sounded like it's far.

I get the torch and as I shine the light at the t-junction to exit to the gates, the lioness runs over the road, right at us. As she gets close to the fence, she makes a left and runs along the fence.

Father in law and I follow her and found about 6 other lionesses sitting in the bushes not 50m from us across from the chalets, staring into the camp.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to IcePick88 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by IcePick88 View Post
    Yeah not sure hey.

They obviously come for the easy prey in the camp, but I guess if the animal makes it a regular thing, it could pose a danger to the people inside the camp.
    Camps are "considered" to be predator free, so people roam late at night with a false sense of security. I still walk with eyes behind my back when going to the ablutions late at night or early morning. Even in heavily commercialized camps.

My thinking is to relocate it to a far away area of the Kruger??

Darting an already anxious large cat, in a rest camp full of people, many of whom have probably come out to see what is going on, is a recipe for disaster. Tranquillisers take a minute or two to incapacitate an animal, and there is an adrenaline rush immediately after darting, so the animal is pretty wild and unpredictable in the moments right after darting.

a fatal shot, however sad, is a much safer and more controlled option.

Quote Originally Posted by Scheepers85 View Post
    Darting an already anxious large cat, in a rest camp full of people, many of whom have probably come out to see what is going on, is a recipe for disaster. Tranquillisers take a minute or two to incapacitate an animal, and there is an adrenaline rush immediately after darting, so the animal is pretty wild and unpredictable in the moments right after darting.

5-8 minutes for tranquilizers to get a lion to sleep.

There is an excellent book called "A Game Ranger Remembers" by Bruce Bryden, in the book he discusses the difficulties with human animal interactions in Kruger from a practical and commercial perspective. I highly recommend the book for anyone who enjoys Kruger

24. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Half-Pint For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Scheepers85 View Post

Yeah.

I'm no wildlife ranger, so I don't really know what should be done in these situations and what the SOP's are for this.

But my feeling is that all options should be explored before putting down the animal when it's only operating on instinct.

Remove all the easy prey inside the camps? Nyala, impala ect ect
    Prune trees that hang over the fence?
    Regular fence patrols to make sure the fence is not penetrable by animals?

But, also, not sure what the frequency of the visits are.

Quote Originally Posted by Half-Pint View Post

Where did this come from?

Quote Originally Posted by JS-V8 View Post
    Where did this come from?
    From Half-Pint

2021 FJ Cruiser

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Hedgehog For This Useful Post:

This is so funny!

Actually commenting that they should leave the dangerous animal be, even though it is INSIDE the fenced area.. Because we should KNOW that the fence wont keep them out..

Absolutely fine! Why not just take all the fences away?! I for one, would love that, seriously
    Last edited by Hedgehog; 2021/05/07 at 09:48 AM.

2021 FJ Cruiser

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hedgehog For This Useful Post:

Had hyenas in camp at mkuze, mpila and skukuza. At mpila they were watching me braai!

32. The Following User Says Thank You to natand For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast