Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default My turn with a scamster?

I often read about the various scams originating from the likes of Gumtree and OLX but have never experienced anything myself even though I have made fair use of their advertising services over the years.

yesterday I put an advert on Gumtree that I am looking to acquire a space saver spare wheel and toolkit for the GLC. This morning I receive a call from one Pieter, apparently from Bloemfontein. As luck would have it, he has a brand new wheel and tyre with a toolkit from the very same vehicle model that I have and which he is prepared to deliver to my door in Pretoria, for about 50% of the price of a new one. The only catch is that his 'boss' requires an eft for the full amount pre-delivery and if I do it right now I will have the goods by 20:00 tonight.

Politely declining his generous offer I counter with a C.O.D. arrangement but it appears that the boss would insist on at least a 50% deposit then. Once again I decline and he tries his final offer, 10% down by eft and the balance tonight. I declined, thanked him for his kindness and wished him all the best before ending the call.
    Mercedes Benz GLC 250d

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AwieT For This Useful Post:

Default Re: My turn with a scamster?

get his adress.I will go fetch it for you

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr.G For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by AwieT View Post
    I often read about the various scams originating from the likes of Gumtree and OLX but have never experienced anything myself even though I have made fair use of their advertising services over the years.

yesterday I put an advert on Gumtree that I am looking to acquire a space saver spare wheel and toolkit for the GLC. This morning I receive a call from one Pieter, apparently from Bloemfontein. As luck would have it, he has a brand new wheel and tyre with a toolkit from the very same vehicle model that I have and which he is prepared to deliver to my door in Pretoria, for about 50% of the price of a new one. The only catch is that his 'boss' requires an eft for the full amount pre-delivery and if I do it right now I will have the goods by 20:00 tonight.

Politely declining his generous offer I counter with a C.O.D. arrangement but it appears that the boss would insist on at least a 50% deposit then. Once again I decline and he tries his final offer, 10% down by eft and the balance tonight. I declined, thanked him for his kindness and wished him all the best before ending the call.
    If he was genuine, you just missed the bargain of a lifetime. You could have scammed him!
    Cheers
    Willem Greyling

"When the wise man points at the moon, the imbecile examines the finger" - Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    get his adress.I will go fetch it for you
    I actually asked about his address and he was a bit vague, talking about a smallholding somewhere near Bloem.
    Mercedes Benz GLC 250d

Quote Originally Posted by MANDREAS View Post
    If he was genuine, you just missed the bargain of a lifetime. You could have scammed him!
    I'm not so good with scamming, how would I have done that?
    Mercedes Benz GLC 250d

I'm not so good with scamming, how would I have done that?
    Asked him for the fuel costs to travel to Bloem to collect it - and that you would deduct it from the purchase price
    Last edited by MANDREAS; 2021/05/14 at 10:59 AM.
    Cheers
    Willem Greyling

"When the wise man points at the moon, the imbecile examines the finger" - Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by MANDREAS View Post
    Asked him for the fuel costs to travel to Bloem to collect it - and that you would deduct it from the purchase price
    Is that you Pieter?
    Mercedes Benz GLC 250d

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AwieT For This Useful Post:

Pieter from Bloem also phoned me and would deliver a Hifi remote and reciever to my door
    I asked for photos and he sent but offcourse ive been on google searching and actually recognised the photos,he pulled them from google
    I told him to go $#&% himself

Quote Originally Posted by Werner Brits View Post
    Pieter from Bloem also phoned me and would deliver a Hifi remote and reciever to my door
    I asked for photos and he sent but offcourse ive been on google searching and actually recognised the photos,he pulled them from google
    I told him to go $#&% himself
    Ai Pieter.
    Mercedes Benz GLC 250d

Easiest way to beat a scammer is demand for a cash/item trade somewhere.

The days are gone where you trust a complete stranger with your money with the promise of sending you something.
    My ryding: 'n Ding met 4 rubber sirkels en n enjin wat nou en dan aangedryf word met al 4 sirkels

I no longer use Gumtree, OLX, Junkmail and the like because of this reason, having to sift threw all the scams is just too much of a mission.

I only use Facebook Marketplace these days and yes, yes I know everyone's not on Facebook. Marketplace is also not scam proof at all don't get me wrong, but at least you can do some stalking to a degree to see who you are dealing with. If it looks dodgy I don't even answer them, things like someone who joined FB just a month or 3 ago probably mean they cycle profiles so I ignore.
    "The problems we have today is because the guys who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." - Magnus Heystek

Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    I no longer use Gumtree, OLX, Junkmail and the like because of this reason, having to sift threw all the scams is just too much of a mission.

I only use Facebook Marketplace these days and yes, yes I know everyone's not on Facebook. Marketplace is also not scam proof at all don't get me wrong, but at least you can do some stalking to a degree to see who you are dealing with. If it looks dodgy I don't even answer them, things like someone who joined FB just a month or 3 ago probably mean they cycle profiles so I ignore.
    Same here.

And I put my cell on the add. Whatsapp, call or sms. If they respond via Facebook messenger, I ignore it. If they really wanted the item, they would have made contact on my cell.
    My ryding: 'n Ding met 4 rubber sirkels en n enjin wat nou en dan aangedryf word met al 4 sirkels

16. The Following User Says Thank You to IcePick88 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by IcePick88 View Post
    Same here.

And I put my cell on the add. Whatsapp, call or sms. If they respond via Facebook messenger, I ignore it. If they really wanted the item, they would have made contact on my cell.

I don't put on my number but might as well if it works for you. Having had a business at one stage my number was anyway all over the internet at some stage.
    "The problems we have today is because the guys who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." - Magnus Heystek

Quote Originally Posted by IcePick88 View Post
    Same here.

You do realise that Facebook hides your cellphone number and it's not always visible unless you use special characters to bypass their filter

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiaan Pot For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaan Pot View Post
    You do realise that Facebook hides your cellphone number and it's not always visible unless you use special characters to bypass their filter
    Not sure. I always just add my number in the description box of the item and not in the dedicated "phone number" box. And i have had people call and whatsapp me for things advertised.

Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post

Facebook is also rife with scammers, they also target wanted ads. Seems there is a bunch of Afrikaans guys that are running a syndicate. The fact that they are Afrikaans and sound respectable lulls you into a false sense of security which is why their hit rate is pretty high but people are now aware of them. They are unfortunately still catching people new to online classifieds on gumtree and Facebook.

They've tried me a few times, even spoke to the guy on the phone.They get pretty nasty when you call them out, swearing and threatening.

These guys are making big money, I wouldn't be surprised if it's in the region of R50-100k per month, a good living and with the state of policing in the country with not much repercussions. Sad to have these leeches taking advantage of people.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Skylark For This Useful Post:

How do they have non-FICA bank accounts?

ZS5CMA
    His: '17 Hilux GD-6 4x4 A/T ~115000km
    Hers: '19 Mitsu Eclipse Cross ~ 15000km
    Semi-retired: '12 Polo BlueMotion ~350000km
    Burned to a crisp: '05 WJ 2.7CRD
    https://www.instagram.com/fstopza/

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    Facebook is also rife with scammers, they also target wanted ads. Seems there is a bunch of Afrikaans guys that are running a syndicate. The fact that they are Afrikaans and sound respectable lulls you into a false sense of security which is why their hit rate is pretty high but people are now aware of them. They are unfortunately still catching people new to online classifieds on gumtree and Facebook.

They've tried me a few times, even spoke to the guy on the phone.They get pretty nasty when you call them out, swearing and threatening.

These guys are making big money, I wouldn't be surprised if it's in the region of R50-100k per month, a good living and with the state of policing in the country with not much repercussions. Sad to have these leeches taking advantage of people.
    People regularly complain about them especially on the farm groups
    Robert

'98 Isuzu 280 DT D/C 4x4, home made roof rack
    '09 VW Caddy Maxi TDi
    '06 Citroen C3 1.4HDi8)
    '97 Isuzu 280 S/C plaasbakkie

Quote Originally Posted by cainslie View Post
    How do they have non-FICA bank accounts?
    You should know by now that the law does not make it impossible for criminals to get non-FICA'd bank accounts, non-RICA'd SIM cards, non-licenced firearms, etc. etc. It just makes it harder for law-abiding citizens.

I just don't do cash send and 50% dep.
    Either we meet and I view and pay or cheers.
    Lost money twice for believing people.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to fatbike For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast