Question Our first overlanding trip

Hi All i would like to find out if there is someone on here that is willing to help a 1st timer plan a overlanding trip covering the kgalagadi transfrontier park and perhaps some of Namibia. I am based in Centurion and we are planning to do the trip in the July school holiday for our honeymoon.

Any help will be appreciated.

TIA

Default Re: Our first overlanding trip

Certainly! The best planning is not to plan too much. Just book and go! Will you be camping or stay in chalets/B&B's/hotels? Kgalagadi is awesome no matter where you stay. Southern Namibia must-do's are of course the Fish River Canyon, Lüderitz and surrounds and the Quiver Tree Forest, but sometimes it is awesome to just drive the emptiest roads like the D463, D446 and C13, including Gamchab Canyon.
    2001 Gen 3 Pajero swb 3.2 Di-D

Firstly if you do not have bookings in the Khalagadi yet the chances of getting some is very slim. I am prepared to help you if you are interested. I am in Pta East. Contact me
    Herman

2016 Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4 Dc
    2019 Wildebeest Serengeti

Personally I would consider hiring a kitted out vehicle for your first trip, they're generally well set up and you get to learn what you like or don't like before spending money on your own set up. You will save money in the long run.

As for route I would consider getting Tracks 4 Africa and plan your route and stopovers on that. As a rule don't plan offroad travel days that exceed 5hours and consider staying at camps for more than one night especially after a long travel day. KTP in July will be cold so prepare for that, adding Namibia will increase complexity in terms of COVID protocols so consider doing KTP only and enter and exit via Twee Rivieren which means PCR tests on entry only.

Jono, there are many forum members who enjoy nothing more than helping newbies to plan overland trips.

A couple of provisos to consider though, to elicit the best cooperation and information.

• Learn to effectively use the search function on the forum. It is always good when obvious that the poster has bothered with a decent amount of homework and is not just looking to be spoon fed.
    • Learn how to zero in to the relevant topics/destination or country threads from the start-up pages when logging in.
    • Phrase your queries with forethought. Include all the relevant info such as camping/self catering and type of vehicle/time of year/interests etc. As always, what info you harvest will be proportional to what you sow.
    • There is no such thing as a stupid question, we were all newbies once.
    • Perhaps try to post a provisional itinerary, it is much easier to advise on revisions or on possible problems, than starting from zero.
    Stanley Weakley.
    Toyota Landcruiser 76SW 4,2L diesel.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

To dovetail Stan’s comments, KISS (keep it simple, stupid).

You’ll work out that the simpler you make every aspect of your trip, the more you’ll enjoy it.

Get a T4A paper map and read the forum with that. For me it was very hard to visualize destinations discussed here until I had a map in front of me.

Once you have an idea of where things are you can start to plot a logical route.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Half-Pint For This Useful Post: