Default Eskom Regs - Any ideas?

My wife sent me my electricity bill this am and it had this eskom blurb attached. Seems they want to stride forth with hellfire and brimstone against anyone that has dared to insulate themselves from the more debilitating effects of their failure.

It seems that they want to charge the consumer to do, I am not sure what, then put them on a different tariff and then try and disconnect them, possibly, but maybe only if you are only over 100Kw installation or perhaps not.

This does seem like a desperate ploy from a dying utility, but does anyone have a better reading of it? I spoke to my solar installer and he seems like he has no clue. What are the implications for domestic users? (We are an eskom direct customer.)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Eskom Regs - Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by stephenplumb View Post
    ... Seems they want to stride forth with hellfire and brimstone against anyone that has dared to insulate themselves from the more debilitating effects of their failure...
    Along similar lines as what CoCT did, years ago, ito connecting SSEG onto their network.

Meter replacement:
    Option 1 - No feedback: Must have a PAYG meter, which I got for free as they ran a "special" in our area, else about +-R2k all in.
    Option 2 - Want to feed back: Must have a Bidirectional meter, about +R12k + install costs.

Monthly connection fees:
    No Feedback: About +-R196pm
    With Feedback: About +-R350-450 pm
    Political Correctness
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional illogical minority, rabidly promoted by a unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd ... by the clean end!

Saw this in a pub - no idea why the wife does not see it so:
    I'm not opinionated ... I'm just always right!

Robert van den Berg

'98 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    '02 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."

Yip rest of RSA has been lucky go happy until now.

To be fair most of the decent installers have been trying to do the right thing for yonks but the between City Power and Eskom it's been impossible to get anything official due their own incompetencies.

Now someone caught a wake up. If they start enforcing this then again they will not be able to cope with all the installations done to date together with new applications.

Best way to have dealt with this was to lay out the rules clearly. Explain the correct procedure and give an amnesty period.

But even now it's still pretty unclear.

Who do you contact. How do you contact them . Must a certified electrician or engineer submit the technical documentation. .....

Fun times

Quote Originally Posted by the_terrible_triplett View Post
    Along similar lines as what CoCT did, years ago, ito connecting SSEG onto their network.

Meter replacement:
    Option 1 - No feedback: Must have a PAYG meter, which I got for free as they ran a "special" in our area, else about +-R2k all in.
    Option 2 - Want to feed back: Must have a Bidirectional meter, about +R12k + install costs.

Monthly connection fees:
    No Feedback: About +-R196pm
    With Feedback: About +-R350-450 pm
    Hmmm I am okay with PAYG meter, although this seems to have cost all our mates a lot more than normal post paid account. My account housed however be much lower than it was, so perhaps it will also come out in the wash.

No feedback seems to be what they are after if the pricing you are suggesting is anything to go by.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaan Pot View Post
    Who do you contact. How do you contact them . Must a certified electrician or engineer submit the technical documentation. .....
    For years now I've said that the best way to go about grid tying, in areas where the are no regs or complete incompetency, was to follow COTT's rules and regs as they adhered to the national SANS/NRS regulations.

The list of grid tied inverters, NRS approved, is available for years now, compliments of CoCT's efforts.

The signoff done by an Engineer is SOP today in CoCT. Sparkie gives CoC, engineer signs it all off.

Methinks the regs will change in due course though re. Engineering signoff. The sparkie does ALL the work, gives a CoC. Then the engineer comes past, +-15min tops on a good install, does the exact same checks the sparkie did, maybe one or two more, and signs the installation off.

The engineer I used gave a wad op Excel sheets to complete, give to the sparkie. He just came around to check all was done as per his specs and that was it.
    Political Correctness
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional illogical minority, rabidly promoted by a unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd ... by the clean end!

Saw this in a pub - no idea why the wife does not see it so:
    I'm not opinionated ... I'm just always right!

So only grid tied systems and over 100kw.

So just design the system so that it does not tie into the grid and off you go.
    My ryding: 'n Ding met 4 rubber sirkels en n enjin wat nou en dan aangedryf word met al 4 sirkels

Quote Originally Posted by IcePick88 View Post

Off grid systems will cost more than what most would be able to afford if you want to have the level of convince and comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaan Pot View Post
    Off grid systems will cost more than what most would be able to afford if you want to have the level of convince and comfort.
    Of course yes.

But personally I think if you want to go solar, go big. Otherwise leave it.
    My ryding: 'n Ding met 4 rubber sirkels en n enjin wat nou en dan aangedryf word met al 4 sirkels

Quote Originally Posted by IcePick88 View Post

From what I understand it is a little more complicated than that. If you have the potential to connect to the grid in future, they will/could still charge the connection fees.
    Friend of mine that went completely off-grid in CoCT had the city cables on his property physically removed to prevent CoCT from charging the fee. Apparently as long as the cables are still on your property they can still charge to you to maintain and keep them available, in case.
    This is based on the discussions he had with the relevant people in 2018 ish.
    2018 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 4X4
    2016 Mazda CX-3 2.0 Dynamic Auto - Sold
    2012 VW Tiguan 2.0TDi Bluemotion - Sold
    2009 Ford Fiesta 1.6 Titanium 3 door - Sold