Thread: Air compressors

Default Air compressors

I am looking to buy an air compressor for home, DIY use. I have 2 main uses, dusting stuff off and using a brad nailer. I would like to later use the same machine for sanding (wood), die grinder and small paint jobs (like furniture or the odd metal fabrication).

The one feature it must have is that it needs to be relatively quiet - I don't want to annoy the neighbors and a regular noise in the garage will get too much.

I have seen this one from Adendorff:
    https://www.adendorff.co.za/product/...ir-compressor/

Not sure if this is any good though.

Advice and other compressor suggestion would be helpful
    2015 Isuzu KB250 D/C 4x4 HO LE - Mine / 2009 Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2l V6 Auto - Hers

Default Re: Air compressors

Quote Originally Posted by Samaya View Post
    I am looking to buy an air compressor for home, DIY use. I have 2 main uses, dusting stuff off and using a brad nailer. I would like to later use the same machine for sanding (wood), die grinder and small paint jobs (like furniture or the odd metal fabrication).
    That machine will easily "dust off stuff" and a brad nailer sips air too. Spinning tools use LOTS of air so a die grinder or sander is going to keep that machine very busy.

ZS5CMA
    His: '17 Hilux GD-6 4x4 A/T ~115000km
    Hers: '19 Mitsu Eclipse Cross ~ 15000km
    Semi-retired: '12 Polo BlueMotion ~350000km
    Burned to a crisp: '05 WJ 2.7CRD
    https://www.instagram.com/fstopza/

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cainslie For This Useful Post:

I have not tried a silent compressor, but belt drive is quieter than the small direct drive. Air tools including painting use a lot of air. bigger is always better. I found a 50ltr much worse than the 100ltr i have now. it tends to run the motor a lot less, hence less noise.

i am in a complex and keep the compressor in the garage. No issues so far. Once you have a compressor you tend to get more pneumatic tools as they are cheap and good so bear that in mind.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to stephenplumb For This Useful Post:

Get the biggest you can. You cant spray a car with a 100l direct drive without having to wait a bit.

That oil free one you show won't be good for a die grinder and other rotary tools, it will be running full cycle and will wear out quickly.

Rather get a piston type head and go for the biggest tank you can afford, even if it means buying a used machine off Market Place or similar is my advice.
    Cheers,
    John Kilfoil

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

Thank you for the advice! Its really appreciated
    2015 Isuzu KB250 D/C 4x4 HO LE - Mine / 2009 Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2l V6 Auto - Hers

If you want to operate any air tools you need a compressor that can deliver at least 8CFM. Non of the direct drive compressors can do that kind of cubic feet per minute.
    To save floor space in a home workshop look at the vertical tank 115l compressor from Ardendoff. I've run on for about 5 years without any problems. https://www.adendorff.co.za/product/...ve-compressor/
    The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    Suzuki SJ410 (being rebuild)
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi
    Lotus 7 (replica - not a kit)
    Freelance Photographer (part time)
    Member Of: Southern African Freelancers' Association

Nothing wrong with the air output of that direct drive unit.
    Its light duty cycle, small footprint and low noise suits your application.
    If you need to upgrade in future, just link the 40lt cylinder to a larger one (second hand, ceiling mounted?) with a properly swaged high pressure hose that can be made up at many suppliers.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to rnieckau For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Paul#25 View Post
    If you want to operate any air tools you need a compressor that can deliver at least 8CFM. Non of the direct drive compressors can do that kind of cubic feet per minute.
    To save floor space in a home workshop look at the vertical tank 115l compressor from Ardendoff. I've run on for about 5 years without any problems. https://www.adendorff.co.za/product/...ve-compressor/
    I was at Adendorff the other day and saw this one there, unfortunately @ ~R7000 its just out of my budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Samaya View Post
    I was at Adendorff the other day and saw this one there, unfortunately @ ~R7000 its just out of my budget.
    Look on Marketplace, sadly, there are so many places going under due to Covid that you should rustle up a bargain.
    Cheers,
    John Kilfoil

Rover P6
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

Quote Originally Posted by rnieckau View Post
    Nothing wrong with the air output of that direct drive unit.
    Its light duty cycle, small footprint and low noise suits your application.
    If you need to upgrade in future, just link the 40lt cylinder to a larger one (second hand, ceiling mounted?) with a properly swaged high pressure hose that can be made up at many suppliers.
    I am no expert, but I have always found the belt fed compressors to be much quieter than the direct drive units. I have not done this analytically with a Sound Level meter, but subjectively they do seem much quieter to me? Perhaps I was using the wrong brand?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to stephenplumb For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by stephenplumb View Post
    I am no expert, but I have always found the belt fed compressors to be much quieter than the direct drive units. I have not done this analytically with a Sound Level meter, but subjectively they do seem much quieter to me? Perhaps I was using the wrong brand?
    The lower sound frequency and vibration emitted by belt driven piston compressors are amplified by concrete floors and permiate masonary walls with relative ease. This is not the best option for the op's discreet use within a built up residential area.

However do agree with you, I would take a rumble over a whine anyday ;-p

Quote Originally Posted by rnieckau View Post
    The lower sound frequency and vibration emitted by belt driven piston compressors are amplified by concrete floors and permiate masonary walls with relative ease. This is not the best option for the op's discreet use within a built up residential area.

However do agree with you, I would take a rumble over a whine anyday ;-p
    Rubber pads under the feet, or a separate frame with rubber mountings might mitigate a lot of that noise.
    Cheers,
    John Kilfoil

Rover P6
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2