Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Camping in snow

Default Re: Camping in snow

Quote Originally Posted by DC Polokwane View Post
    Wool is great!

Please share.
    I was introduced to this by a friend whose sister lived on the farm next to the wool people. I went to sleep over by her in winter and there was only a duvet on my bed. I was horrifed. I was roasty toasty and comfortable. I wasn't able to use down products because of asthma. So I had to get my own. It's lovely for allergy sufferers as it doesn't trigger anything like down does.

Mine is probably 15 years old now and I have abused it. I wash it in the washing machine like a microfiber product and it's still looks like new. It's not lumpy or any of the usual that happens to aging duvets. I did get one that was one size bigger than my bed because I like it to hang over far enough not to let in any cold accidentally.

They used to have a stall at the Irene market. I don't know if they still do.

https://mcclouds.co.za/

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emmie L For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    They also have independently powered as well as plug in engine heaters. Its about an hour per 5 degrees below or something like that, that they kick in before you can start.

My cousin lived in Canada a couple years ago, his Tundra had a built in engine heater which worked off a second battery, but for extreme cold he also had a extra engine blanket thing which he left on over night when needed.
    And yes, he returned to SA because of the cold.
    "The problems we have today is because the guys who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." - Magnus Heystek

Quote Originally Posted by heyyahhey View Post
    Interesting about the gelling issue. I’ve always lived in warm-ish places. I wonder, would an electric blanket, laid over/tucked around the engine, under the hood, prevent this? They draw very little power on low, so even off grid it should be sustainable? Ideal would be sides/bottom, but much harder of course...

I think the Lothini campsite in snow would be really beautiful.
    Just a normal PEP Stores blanket over the bonnet also helps a lot. In fact that is what I do in winter when in Kgalagadi and the Hilux sleeps outside in the open. Also cover the windskreen then it does not frost over. And always try to park your car under a tree or large bush or even just next to an obstacle. It does not seems much, but devenately makes a difference of a few degrees warmer. And as was already mentioned, try to oriantate the cars nose away from the wind. And at the same time so it faces east during sunrise so that the first rays can start warming the engine and windscreen.

During that extreme cold spell in 2011, me and a colleague were traveling from a farm in Warden (Eastern Free State) back to Bloemfontein. It was so cold that lots of cattle died during the night and some other farm animals which did not had shelter.

He drove a Toyota Venture (2.2 petrol) at the time. As we hit the main tar road and started to speed up, the engine would cut out. After a restarts the engine will run, but cut out just as we speed up. I mentioned that the petrol in the carburettor most probably freezes and the engine couldn't run. Fortunately I new about another indecent where a Venture did exactly the same thing on the N1 north of Bloemfontein. In that incidence the owner did not know what was wrong with the varely new Venture and took it to Oranje Toyota in Bloemfontein to find the problem.

They confirmed that there was nothing wrong with the car and that the petrol freezes up in the carburettor and block the needle valve during extreme cold weather. They advised to try and tie a thick cloth or towel around the carburettor to insulate it a bit from the cold in such an instance.

I advised my colleague to tie and old cloth found in the car around the carburettor. That solved the problem and we continued on our way whith no more problems.

That was the first and only time I experienced petrol to freeze up.

Don't know with the modern cars but a lot of cars in the 90's got stuck next to the road on extremely cold mornings, when the engine over heats due to the thermostat valve that were frozen closed and could not open so the coolant could surculate. The coolant literally started to boil despite the extremely cold weather. Normally that happened because of no antifreeze or perhaps the wrong solution of antifreeze in the coolant.
    Last edited by Viertrek; 2021/05/15 at 08:25 AM.
    Lourens Goosen

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Viertrek For This Useful Post:

We went trout fishing in Lesotho. My friend put a blanket over the engine and closed the bonnet. The next morning we set off fishing, walking down the river. The ladies decided to pack up camp and drive down the road and meet us at the next bridge. The friends wife never knew about the blanket over the engine. Hoo boy it took us many hours to get that vehicle going again. Put some kind of reminder in the car / on the steering wheel / or hide the keys .
    Peter
    SOMETIMES I WAKE UP GRUMPY,

SOMETIMES I JUST LET HER SLEEP!

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sneaky Pete For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Viertrek View Post
    In 2011 we hit -11°C in Mata Mata in the Kgalagadi after the passing of a cold front.

Canvas tent, sleeping on the ground on a double foam matress, polar fleece linen and a genuine dawn dubble bed duvet. And of cause the compulsory fan heater to get dressed in front of when getting up in the morning.

We slep warm and cosy with that setup.
    I remember that night, we were in the tented camp. Our tent had velcro closers missing, also -11. I am used to cold but now i know what a tramp feels like in winter.
    2018 Hilux Dakar fully kitted.
    2021 Suzuli Swift 1.2 GLX Swambo's shopping trolley.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to pwgg For This Useful Post:

We had a 1977 1600 HiLux (only petrol models those days). We used to hang a "streepsak" (milies were sold in 70kg hessian bags) in front of the radiator on Monday mornings going to school to block the air. The rest of the week we were in bording school.
    Current - 2009 Mazda BT50 3.0CRDi 4x4 d/c
    Previous - 2005 Ranger 2.5 tdi 4x2 d/c (277 422km)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Spiceman For This Useful Post:

Sunglasses, for the glare. That snow gets bright, especially after some smokey mountain cabbage

If you're relying on a dual battery system, with a lithium battery, bear in mind it shouldn't be charged at 0C or below. Consider reviewing the temperature requirements of your starter and dual batteries.

Some motor oils don't lubricate as well in low temperatures. If you're going to be working your vehicle hard, 4x4ing etc up there, this may be a factor to consider.

Snow chains? Tires that can handle the snow?

This may or may not be the kind of thing you're planning to do, but a good watch anyway:

Stuart

2006 Toyota Land Cruiser 100 4.7L V8

Oh, I almost forgot, dont forget the sun screen.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Total 4x4 Novice with no experience whats-so-ever

''Nothing makes the Earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes''. H.D. Thoreau.

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

Hot water bottle and Self Inflating Sleeping Pad

Some really good advice here but also a bit of "bobbejaan agter die berg gaan haal". (Over reaction)

The Lesotho mission trip regularly camps in snow and always prepares for it in winter.

Sift out through all these ideas what is workable for you.

A few precautions and your car will be OK. you can Good anti freeze and anti gelling agent and park cleverly.

Make sure your feet are dry, gum boots or similar.

Practical layers. Comfortable and warm bed. You are 99 percent on your way.

Hot sweet tea is the drink that really warms me up. Alcohol is a false heat and dangerous.

Enjoy!
    Zerubbabel 2 the 2008 4.8 turbo Patrol with some kit
    Nothing, not even a mighty mountain, will stand in Zerubbabel’s way! (Zech 4:7)

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mal Hannes For This Useful Post:

Hi All

I went camping the past weekend and did not have the change to discuss with the buddies. Having a braai on Friday and will show them this thread then.

It will either scare the Be-dinges out of them or they will take on the challenge and prepare well.

Lekker week almal!!!
    2018 Triton 2.4 Di-D 4x4
    2010 Pajero Sport 3.2 Di-D (Sold LOVED it)
    2017 Jurgens XT140

Quote Originally Posted by DC Polokwane View Post
    Good advice.

Try to stay away from diuretics drinks with alcohol and caffeine, you will hate yourself for having to get up at 3am to take a pee
    Touche! Dont sleep on those stupid blow up mattresses, get the self expanding ones, two is better. Normal blow-up ones sap the warmth away. Beany, couple of big bottle's empty so you can fit your "umthondo" in...saves you from leaving your warm bed..... (if its even warm) just to pee. (place bottle outside of tenet not to confuse with water bottle in dark..) Hot water bottles is an easy fix heat source. Get a "she-wee" if swambo or secrety joins the trip, more big bottles if swambo or the secretary is also named David.
    Base layers or tight/close fitting clothes keep warmth near the skin but you can turn around in your bed without strangling yourself. Keep sox on.
    Last edited by Farway; 2021/05/17 at 07:53 AM.
    304AMC CJ-7.... The economical version
    5.0 V8 600Cfm Holley, Custom pipes, Edelbrock inlet mani.
    Land Rover 101Forward Control Axles.
    4" Suspension Lift, 2" Body Lift
    On 35's...but not for long..

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Farway For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd View Post
    Hi All

Our mission this year is to go camp in Sutherland when it is snowed under.
    Anyone done this and when is the best time to go? What is that one item you should not leave at home?

We want to experience that bone-cracking coldness we hear about on the news...

Will have plenty OBS on tap
    We went a number of years ago to Sutherland for a few days and stayed in a house. One night we did the Stargazing thing which is an amazing experience but I never felt as cold all my life and I am from Austria and used to real cold. Good luck with your camping trip.🤪😎

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Mac27 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Oppies3800 View Post
    I would recommend starting a fire in the tent... It will give you a bit of warmth just before frostbite sets in
    I have a very spacious tent and used a gas heater with success. Switch off when going to bed and be very, very careful. It is one of the small camping type heaters. What also work well is if you have a gazebo with either solid or mosquito sidewalls, and then a heater. You will be surprised at how comfortable that can be. Use whatever you can to insulate from below, a nice duvet and a warm wife and yes there is a reason people say it is p... cold. Enjoy

All that talk about hot water bottles!
    Have you worked out how you will boil a kettle in that severe cold

Butane gas for instance will only work properly at temperatures above -2C.
    You may need a liquid fuel stove which will work at very low temperatures.
    Last edited by Paul Dold; 2021/05/17 at 10:58 AM.

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Dold For This Useful Post:

Hi! Been there, done that! We were camping in the Swartberg valley, near the Seweweekspoort in August last year, at a place called Op-Die-Plaas Camp. We were warned that it was going to snow, but having previously lived in Limpopo, we did not know what to expect! Well, we woke up in the middle of the night, to find that everything around us, was covered in snow. What a sight! Surprisingly, its not that cold. The snow lay on the ground for a further 3 days after the first night and we didn't need a fridge to keep the beers cold. The camp had a nice enclosed lapa and we had a fire going for most of the time where we did all our cooking. It was great fun, and when we get an opportunity, we will definitely do it again. Take plenty of warm clothes and a bottle of OB's is always useful, even if it's not snowing. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Dold View Post
    All that talk about hot water bottles!
    Have you worked out how you will boil a kettle in that severe cold

Butane gas for instance will only work properly at temperatures above -2C.
    You may need a liquid fuel stove which will work at very low temperatures.
    They had a fire going most of the time in the lapa...kettle on fire heats water like a treat
    2017 Jimny
    2014 Hajadu 800 (bad bad choice - sold)
    Land Rover FC of unknown age (sold)
    Land Rover series IIA 2.4L 1968 (rebuilt and sold)
    Dirtbikes - too many to list

OK, so my experience include a hiking trip for a few weeks in late Alaska autumn, in addition to Kalahari, etc. Use a small tent (3 man) for two persons so that you can retain heat in tent, try 4season tent, so that heat don’t get lost through air vent, if windy, invest in geodesic tent, also, go to drifters and buy proper camping mattress with insulation bottom of mattress ( cold from below) and then layer, layer, layer - and decent negative rated sleeping bag, warm food/drink before climbing into tent - do not think you will heat up in tent, try to enter tent warm. As an aside, I slept warmer in Alaska at colder temps ( and frozen ground) because I used correct kit, my Kalahari experiences were much more painful as local kit not always rated (and I was stupid) - my 2 cents. There is a saying that there is no such thing as bad weather, just bad equipment and clothing.
    Last edited by zpret; 2021/05/17 at 11:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Therackermann View Post
    I’ve seen movies where the car won’t start and then family members have to start eating other family members to survive after braaing them without Worcester sauce braai spice.
    Yeah there's nothing worse than having to eat family members without having any Worcestershire sauce to put on it.
    2018 Ranger DC 2.2 XLS Auto 4x4
    Bushtech Canopy and goodies
    Canon 5DMkIV with L-goodies.

Quote Originally Posted by slodj View Post
    Sunglasses, for the glare. That snow gets bright, especially after some smokey mountain cabbage

If you're relying on a dual battery system, with a lithium battery, bear in mind it shouldn't be charged at 0C or below. Consider reviewing the temperature requirements of your starter and dual batteries.

Some motor oils don't lubricate as well in low temperatures. If you're going to be working your vehicle hard, 4x4ing etc up there, this may be a factor to consider.

Snow chains? Tires that can handle the snow?

This may or may not be the kind of thing you're planning to do, but a good watch anyway:

Very interesting facts in this video. Are those Swags really that good? See they sleep under an awning, but also a guy in a Roof Top Tent.
    Another one where they mention below freezing but butane stove is working? Maybe keep the cans in the car and not out on the back?

Those beers should be lekker frosty as well.

I am getting a wee bit excited. Gonna have to spend some moolas though, like these... Wool Blizzard Boot – Unisex – Groundcover
    2018 Triton 2.4 Di-D 4x4
    2010 Pajero Sport 3.2 Di-D (Sold LOVED it)
    2017 Jurgens XT140

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Nerd For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast