Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Camping in snow

Default Re: Camping in snow

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko View Post
    How can person be sure that there is snow and not slosh or nothing? Go to northern Sweden or Finland around February. Minus 20 is better than minus 2..
    Only you would think that advising someone who wants a weekend adventure to go to Northern Europe is apt.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PhlippieV For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Millie View Post
    We were in Nossob the same time and slept on top of our Conqueror Compact on the metal base. The dawn duvet was enough, we slept very nice but the next morning we had to put our matress in the sun due to the condensation, the duvet was so hot and did not let the heat generated out. Was fine to us just not going for game drives early morning. Go and enjoy the experience.
    We were at Twee Riveeren at the same time... still amazes me that the family didnít refuse to camp after that trip . Wife and two daughters slept up top of the trailer tent and I slept on a stretcher on the bottom. I remember waking up with icicles on my duvet from my breath had condensed.

What made it worse was my wife had suggested we take electric blankets before we left and I flatly refused. This is camping I said...

In saying that, Iím in exactly the same boat as the OP... would love to set the Cougar up in winter and experience snow. Family thinks Iím nuts so might be a solo camp.
    2021 Ford Everest 2.0 BiT LTD

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Koppycat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Millie View Post
    We were in Nossob the same time and slept on top of our Conqueror Compact on the metal base. The dawn duvet was enough, we slept very nice but the next morning we had to put our matress in the sun due to the condensation, the duvet was so hot and did not let the heat generated out. Was fine to us just not going for game drives early morning. Go and enjoy the experience.
    It is unbeleavable how good a thick genuine dawn duvet insulate you from the cold.

In that extreme coId temperatures, when you touch the duvet on top, it almost feels hard to the touch as if frozen (well it most probably is) and almost makes a crackling sound. But underneath it is warm and cosy.

Just as you have experienced, I sometimes even sweat a little bit under that duvet, when it is not that extremely cold, especially when using the polar fleece sheets and pillow cases.

But when we go camping in the Kgalagadi during winter time, we do not take the sleeping arangements lightly.

Thick woolen socks and a wool beanie also helps a lot.
    Lourens Goosen

The draw back to down jackets or sleeping bags/duvets is that it loses all of its insulation properties once wet but they do have excellent heat retention. Again, layering can help such as an outer cover for sleeping bags and using down jackets under an outer waterproof layer. But have a backup if using down in case it does get wet
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Total 4x4 Novice with no experience whats-so-ever

''Nothing makes the Earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes''. H.D. Thoreau.

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

I actually found the wool duvet to be warmer than the down one, much to my surprise. So consider a wool duvet too. If insulated with a layer on top there is a remarkable difference in heat retention.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emmie L For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Emmie L View Post
    I actually found the wool duvet to be warmer than the down one, much to my surprise. So consider a wool duvet too. If insulated with a layer on top there is a remarkable difference in heat retention.
    Wool is a brilliant material, its heat retention increases if it gets wet although it gets heavier. It is also naturally flame proof and will scorch and smolder as opposed to burn or melt.

''Nothing makes the Earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes''. H.D. Thoreau.

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    The main thing to consider is that snow is wet, so good waterproof footwear and outer layers are essential. (Including gloves or mittens)

Layer clothing starting with a base layer of something thermal. You can always add or remove layers.

You can dehydrate quickly in cold snowy conditions so keep that in mind.

Perspiration will still happen and of course this makes clothing wet which can have adverse effects. Stay away from cotton based clothing, it has no thermal properties apart from coolness and is a killer when wet.

Outer layer as mentioned, should be waterproof and breathable, this makes it expensive. Waterproof un-breathable fabrics build up condensation from perspiration, see above note.

Regular warm drinks and meals help maintain and increase body temp, high fat content foods are ideal.

Become familiar with the signs of Hypothermia and how to deal with it.
    Some good points mentioned here. At night you could take your boots off and stuff them with news paper to dry them out.

Default Camping in snow

Make sure that your car will still run and the diesel wonít gel up.

Iíve seen movies where the car wonít start and then family members have to start eating other family members to survive after braaing them without Worcester sauce braai spice.

Maybe have a heater handy for incase your diesel gels upÖ. SeriosulyÖ.make sure you can get your car to start in that cold too and maybe consider your oil type that you use.

Also have some extra food provisions for incase you are stuck there for longer. Can wrap the outside of the tent with plastic for insulation. Just make sure that the tent is waterproof for the condensation.
    Last edited by Therackermann; 2021/05/14 at 06:56 AM.

You're watching too many movies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Therackermann View Post

Iíve seen movies where the car wonít start and then family members have to start eating other family members to survive after braaing them without Worcester sauce braai spice.

Maybe have a heater handy for incase your diesel gels upÖ. SeriosulyÖ.make sure you can get your car to start in that cold too and maybe consider your oil type that you use.
    Choose life

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Coenoes For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    Wool is a brilliant material, its heat retention increases if it gets wet although it gets heavier. It is also naturally flame proof and will scorch and smolder as opposed to burn or melt.
    A reality with all the heating devices you will need to snow camp ... I don't like the smell of burnt feathers.

There's a company in Chrissiesmeer that make brilliant wool products if you are wondering where to look.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Emmie L For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Coenoes View Post
    You're watching too many movies.
    I thought Iíd just sneak in a paragraph to see who pays real attention.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Therackermann For This Useful Post:

I have done it once - it was only minus 6C - and never again.

All good advice in this thread.

Down duvet - thermals etc of course.

Everything is wet and iced.
    Your car doors will probably be iced over and you may not be able to open them.
    A water hose will help if you can find one which works.

My best tip make sure your gas stove (if you are using one) will operate below freezing. Most won't.
    You will definitely need hot coffee in the morning.

You can also work out how you will be able to hold your coffee mug with frozen hands.
    Last edited by Paul Dold; 2021/05/14 at 07:11 AM.

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Dold For This Useful Post:

Thats a good point about the gas Paul.

I had a -25c incident where it took 6 hours before a mates engine could turn over due to gelling. He unwittingly left it facing the wind whereas I had parked my front end up against a wall. Of course petrol vs diesel comes into play also but at those temps I was just fortunate.

And think twice about retreating to the car for heat. They can become ice-boxes quickly if the engine cant run and generate heat.

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

Interesting about the gelling issue. I’ve always lived in warm-ish places. I wonder, would an electric blanket, laid over/tucked around the engine, under the hood, prevent this? They draw very little power on low, so even off grid it should be sustainable? Ideal would be sides/bottom, but much harder of course...

I think the Lothini campsite in snow would be really beautiful.
    Last edited by heyyahhey; 2021/05/14 at 07:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Therackermann View Post

Also have some extra food provisions for incase you are stuck there for longer. Can wrap the outside of the tent with plastic for insulation. Just make sure that the tent is waterproof for the condensation.
    If you don't have worcestershire sauce spice, you can also use Marina's braai salt.
    Anti freeze in the cooling system is a necessity.
    Maybe time to think about 2SO to negate the gelling issue. Paraffin can be used too.
    Current - 2009 Mazda BT50 3.0CRDi 4x4 d/c
    Previous - 2005 Ranger 2.5 tdi 4x2 d/c (277 422km)

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Spiceman For This Useful Post:

I know this guy went camping at Sutherland a few years ago.

Apparently the stray dogs were a problem...

Cheers
    Willem Greyling

"When the wise man points at the moon, the imbecile examines the finger" - Confucius

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MANDREAS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by heyyahhey View Post
    Interesting about the gelling issue. Iíve always lived in warm-ish places. I wonder, would an electric blanket, laid over/tucked around the engine, under the hood, prevent this? They draw very little power on low, so even off grid it should be sustainable? Ideal would be sides/bottom, but much harder of course...

I think the Lothini campsite in snow would be really beautiful.
    In canada and other cold places they actually have these type of engine blankets.
    If you are really stuck in severe cold with a gelled diesel then dig a whole in ground.Make a big fire.Then throw thin layer of sand over the coals and push vehicle over the warm earth..I hear that works well

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.G For This Useful Post:

They also have independently powered as well as plug in engine heaters. Its about an hour per 5 degrees below or something like that, that they kick in before you can start.

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

Thank you all for the comments and advice. I have noted and was also concern about all the wet, because once wet it freezes.
    Dress warm and dry, not too much alcohol and make sure the car can start.

Maybe find a place with a barn or garage for the car. Sommer pitch the camp inside the barn?
    Anyone know a farmer that will allow this?
    I am however leaning towards a chalet, we are three guys going so sharing will be easier.

Read a lot about this and yes, getting all the right gear could cost a small fortune. Without it you might struggle to make your way back, so good planning will be part of this.

And yes FWM, we were a bit dronk and had some smokey stuff when we decided this will be a great thing to do.

Will update as we go along all. Why not join us. Planning mid to end July....
    2018 Triton 2.4 Di-D 4x4
    2010 Pajero Sport 3.2 Di-D (Sold LOVED it)
    2017 Jurgens XT140

Quote Originally Posted by Emmie L View Post
    A reality with all the heating devices you will need to snow camp ... I don't like the smell of burnt feathers.

There's a company in Chrissiesmeer that make brilliant wool products if you are wondering where to look.
    Wool is great!

Please share.
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8
    Conqueror Courage 2016

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast