Default Triton Replacement Bullbar Problems

With great excitement I was hoping to fit an Ironman4x4 Bullbar to my 2016 vehicle. Only to find out that Mitsubishi has decided to use up some of the old chassis they had left over from the previous Triton shape and so the result is that Ironman4x4 do not have brackets that fit to the old chassis but to the new body shape (which we cannot really blame them for since no one knows how many of these new shape old chassis vehicle are out there). The problem I now have is that the airbag compliance of the bullbar lies in the bracket not in the bullbar itself.
    So the question I have is this, is it worth it to fit a bullbar that is not airbag compliant? or has Mitsubishi doomed us to only ever have Tupperware on the front of our vehicles? From my understanding and research it seems that the greatest risk is for low speed collisions in which case the airbags might deploy whereas without the bullbar the airbags would not have deployed. Any stories out there of people with the same issue? What did you do?

Default Re: Triton Replacement Bullbar Problems

Interesting, first I've heard of this.

Maybe make a post on the Mitsu Lovers SA page on Facebook or alternatively get in touch with Arnold Venter from Misti Tech Performance. He will definitely know the details and if a plan can be made.

Cheers

Can't help with your problem. We hear so much about "airbag compatibility" with aftermarket bullbars, but I don't understand how it can be an issue?

In most semi-modern cars, the airbag inertia sensor is in the dash at the base of the windscreen. Its job is to detect the sudden stop and deploy the airbags. Removing or changing the bumper affects this how?

Is it perhaps that the bumper doesn't "crumple" so a minor bang is interpreted as being major by the sensor? If that's the case, the risk will always be that the airbag is too "conservative" and you might write off a vehicle without needing to, but it should never be the case that the airbag fails to deploy when it is needed, right?

ZS5CMA
    His: '17 Hilux GD-6 4x4 A/T ~115000km
    Hers: '19 Mitsu Eclipse Cross ~ 15000km
    Semi-retired: '12 Polo BlueMotion ~350000km
    Burned to a crisp: '05 WJ 2.7CRD
    https://www.instagram.com/fstopza/

Quote Originally Posted by cainslie View Post
    Can't help with your problem. We hear so much about "airbag compatibility" with aftermarket bullbars, but I don't understand how it can be an issue?

In most semi-modern cars, the airbag inertia sensor is in the dash at the base of the windscreen. Its job is to detect the sudden stop and deploy the airbags. Removing or changing the bumper affects this how?

Is it perhaps that the bumper doesn't "crumple" so a minor bang is interpreted as being major by the sensor? If that's the case, the risk will always be that the airbag is too "conservative" and you might write off a vehicle without needing to, but it should never be the case that the airbag fails to deploy when it is needed, right?
    Pretty much what I was thinking as well, that the airbag might deploy when not needing to but will still deploy when it is really needed.