Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Problems with the 2019 Land rover discover 5 SE V6 diesel?

Hi, sorry to hear about the issues you have.
    I own the 2018 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6, and have done 92 000 kms so far.
    I never had a single issue with my car except, buckled all 4, 22 inch rims hitting potholes
    I sincerely hope the issues you have will be sorted out very soon.
    All the best.

Ive had a D5 and my brother and several friends own them also. Not one issue between us. i also have not seen any issues close to yours on any of the forums so you are definitely the exception.

Im trying to work this out:
    - You paid R1 550 000 for a vehicle that depending on the options went for between R1.3 mil and R1.4 mil at the time. Did you load the price or are you taking interest into account?
    - After 1000kms and so many issues, I would have insisted on a replacement which you would have been in all your rights to do. With the mileage you seem to do this would have been a very short period... In fact you can insist on a full refund or replacement up to 6 months after purchase in most instances. Why didnt you do this?
    - Decals falling off? This is a very strange one. Not sure how this could happen without someone trying to remove them. They are stuck down with 3M VHB tape. It doesnt fail
    - The gear box, and transfer box can not be related to the steering rack unless they have physically been damaged. What was the problems with them?
    - What suspension problems did you have?

44000kms in two years is a fair amount of driving considering Covid and what has happened in 2020 (unless of course you or your husband are considered essential services, like I am but I didnt do near the mileage I normally do anyway).

Now I dont support many companies in the motor industry as many are crooks in my opinion and this from my experience, so I double check everything on all my vehicles. For example, BMW Midrand specifically are crooks and have no idea how to work on a car due to damage they caused to my M4 and parts I paid for that were not fitted and other parts not fitted correctly. I supplied them photographic evidence of before and after the work was done and as well as pictures when my car was dropped off there showing no damage and they still basically claimed I was lying. to this day, more than two months later, i have not even heard from the DP even though I emailed him directly and tried to call him several times.........funny thing is now their parts guys are calling me asking me to please buy from them again (I used to buy lots of accessories and stuff for my race cars) and then land Rover Sandton - because they have no idea about customer service and cant even clean a car that they have worked on) but I do believe in fairness.

Coming onto a forum and not giving specifics and making a blanket statements is not going to help resolve the issue and certainly will not help you with your fight with JLR. I would suggest not going to social media until you have exhausted all the correct channels first. But do so with facts, listing all the problems, time frames of when you were without your vehicle etc.
    Then if that doesnt work go to the consumer council and motor vehicle ombudsman and social media listing the facts. Right now I bet half the people on this thread for instance have many questions which just ends up negating your claims.

http://www.saconsumercomplaints.co.za/
    https://www.miosa.co.za/

No offence to anyone here but do not take your vehicle to an independent workshop, you can lose you warranty - justifiably. If you want a second opinion then go to another LR dealership. If you go to an Indy they can use that against you.
    Last edited by BruceT; 2021/05/28 at 11:10 AM.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceT For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BruceT View Post
    ... No offence to anyone here but do not take your vehicle to an independent workshop, you can lose you warranty - justifiably. If you want a second opinion then go to another LR dealership. If you go to an Indy they can use that against you.

hasn't this changed with the recent 'right to repair' ruling?
    2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
    2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic

Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
    Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

I don’t think it’s come in yet. But if it has check the fine print
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma

2018 Suzuki Jimny - Expedition vehicle
    2002 Land Rover Defender - Daily Drive

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon93 View Post
    But I think this right to repair policy might also not be necessarily an advantage to both the dealer and client. So if I'm the dealer/supplier, how can I reasonably guarantee the client's product when I don't know who tinkered with it and to what extent.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceT View Post
    Ive had a D5 and my brother and several friends own them also. Not one issue between us. i also have not seen any issues close to yours on any of the forums so you are definitely the exception.

Im trying to work this out:
    - You paid R1 550 000 for a vehicle that depending on the options went for between R1.3 mil and R1.4 mil at the time. Did you load the price or are you taking interest into account?
    - After 1000kms and so many issues, I would have insisted on a replacement which you would have been in all your rights to do. With the mileage you seem to do this would have been a very short period... In fact you can insist on a full refund or replacement up to 6 months after purchase in most instances. Why didnt you do this?
    - Decals falling off? This is a very strange one. Not sure how this could happen without someone trying to remove them. They are stuck down with 3M VHB tape. It doesnt fail
    - The gear box, and transfer box can not be related to the steering rack unless they have physically been damaged. What was the problems with them?
    - What suspension problems did you have?

44000kms in two years is a fair amount of driving considering Covid and what has happened in 2020 (unless of course you or your husband are considered essential services, like I am but I didnt do near the mileage I normally do anyway).

Now I dont support many companies in the motor industry as many are crooks in my opinion and this from my experience, so I double check everything on all my vehicles. For example, BMW Midrand specifically are crooks and have no idea how to work on a car due to damage they caused to my M4 and parts I paid for that were not fitted and other parts not fitted correctly. I supplied them photographic evidence of before and after the work was done and as well as pictures when my car was dropped off there showing no damage and they still basically claimed I was lying. to this day, more than two months later, i have not even heard from the DP even though I emailed him directly and tried to call him several times.........funny thing is now their parts guys are calling me asking me to please buy from them again (I used to buy lots of accessories and stuff for my race cars) and then land Rover Sandton - because they have no idea about customer service and cant even clean a car that they have worked on) but I do believe in fairness.

Coming onto a forum and not giving specifics and making a blanket statements is not going to help resolve the issue and certainly will not help you with your fight with JLR. I would suggest not going to social media until you have exhausted all the correct channels first. But do so with facts, listing all the problems, time frames of when you were without your vehicle etc.
    Then if that doesnt work go to the consumer council and motor vehicle ombudsman and social media listing the facts. Right now I bet half the people on this thread for instance have many questions which just ends up negating your claims.

http://www.saconsumercomplaints.co.za/
    https://www.miosa.co.za/

No offence to anyone here but do not take your vehicle to an independent workshop, you can lose you warranty - justifiably. If you want a second opinion then go to another LR dealership. If you go to an Indy they can use that against you.
    Yep, agree with you wholeheartedly, a good couple of replies in this thread asking for detailed details have come through, to no avail.. Would be great to see just how 'real' the issues are, right now in my humble opinion and with respect to the owner, it might border on a little drama....

Or just maybe a little more secret damage was caused at the various tests she was put through, including a very wet De Wildt, just saying, it certainly has happened to a few Jeeps many of us know of.....
    Last edited by Marcochezzi; 2021/06/02 at 01:01 PM.
    Regards - Marco Chezzi

There are two kinds of people in this world, those that can extrapolate from incomplete data..

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Marcochezzi For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Orxy View Post
    hasn't this changed with the recent 'right to repair' ruling?
    Yes it Changed and became into effect on yesterday 1st June,
    So it states you can have for example your service done at an Indy and he can use OEM or genuine parts and correct specification oil etc, and the rest of the engine will fall under warranty as long as its stamped recorded etc. However if an Item is faulty lets say water pump fails and is under warranty then this has to be repaired by the Dealer who holds the warranty. So if we change the brake pads, A consumable with OEM parts and the brakes calipers fail under warranty the dealer cannot void the warranty any more.
    Check out right to repair on RMI web page.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Landymac For This Useful Post:

Default Problems with the 2019 Land rover discover 5 SE V6 diesel?

Ok so my previous message was deleted.

Let me try this again.

Please the person that deleted my massage.. Can you be so kind as to message me personally on your problem. Or just bring your problem up. Sorry for the inconvenience of my way of speaking my mening.

16/03/2019
    Km 1050
    Customer problem
    Knocking on suspension.

Lazarus
    On inspection no problem

26/11/2019
    Km 15619
    Customers problem
    Knocking on suspension
    Driver electronic window not working.
    Brake shudder.

Lazarus.
    No problem on inspection.
    Fixed window problem.

15/08/2019
    Km 10423
    Customers problem
    When pulling away there is a knocking from gearbox

Lazarus
    On inspection no problem

29/06/2020
    Km 19583
    Customers problem
    Knocking noise when pulling off
    When driving window opens and closes slowly
    Trim above start button staring to fade.

Lazarus
    Fixed window problem.
    On inspection of knocking there was nothing to be wound
    All suspension components where checked.

12/08/2020
    21325km
    Customers problem
    Suspension knocking when pulling of sound like it's coming from gearbox.

Lazarus
    On inspection no problem was wound

27/08/2020
    22092km
    Customers problem
    Knocking noice from side shafts or gearbox.
    Electric window right not working

Lazarus
    Fixed window. On inspection no problem with knocking was found

14/09/2020
    22885km
    Customers problem
    Knocking on suspension
    Driver side window seal loose

Lazarus
    Replace window seal, on inspection no problem with knocking sound

31/03/2021
    Customers problem
    Tail gate alignment
    Knocking from gearbox or suspension
    Radio speakers not working
    Gearbox over heating
    Sunroof not working

Lazarus
    Tail gate required adjustment due touch up on trim panel at tail lights and causing Chave marks vehicle had to go to JLR approved paint shop.
    On inspection of gearbox over heating found metal shavings in oil including excessive wear due to clutches slipping. Planetary gears worn excessively

Transmission and transfer box required replacement.

25/05/2021
    45627km
    Customers problem
    Knocking noice from suspension.

Lazarus

The sound is coming from the sindle gear inside the steering gear. This requires a completed steering gear assembly need tobe replace.
    Last edited by Igie; 2021/07/14 at 09:27 PM.

Don't get me wrong land rover is a absolutely amazing car. Yes not always 100%.

We recently bought a big body range rover vogue TDV8 230 000km full service history. It's a lovely car... Diesel consumption is really not bad. Drives like dream even on this kilometers. I use her as my personal bakkie it goes where I want loads what I want it's a up market farmers bakkie in my eyes that's the vehicle we use know to go to the farm.

Mine also came over a bit strong. If the new ones give problems like this, I will never consider buying a LR in my life, let alone the older ones with the notorious crank problem. Aren't the new ones supposed to be better? These vehicles cost way over a bar!

What a contrast to reading the thread on the Old Land Cruisers where guys clock up mileage over 500k km with little to no major issues at all.

P.S a don't drive a Toyota and I am not a Toyota fan boy per se.
    Louis Adendorff
    Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk (Ironman suit)
    Everest 2.2 XLS (Swambo’s mommy taxi)

The crank problem I don't think it's on my old range rover vogue TDV8 it's 2010 model up to this time and date she is going well.

Me and my husband use too owne bought Toyotas VX200 and a Prado VX L.. But I can't see my self going back to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Igie View Post
    Please the person that deleted my massage.. Can you be so kind as to message me personally on your problem. Or just bring your problem up. Sorry for the inconvenience of my way of speaking my mening.

The person who deleted you message is Dirk, the owner of this list. It is his fullest right and you should familiarise yourself with the rules of the list. No swearing is a fundamental rule, even if you are really mad at someone. Transgress a few times and you will be out of here for good.
    Mike Nieuwoudt
    '89 LR 110 V8

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike N For This Useful Post:

No problems so far after 54000km. Only thing I can say is don't buy it with the 22" tires. I feel they compromise the ride comfort a bit and they are hellishly expensive to replace. Otherwise the nicest vehicle I have ever owned.

Sorry to hear of your troubles.
    Wimpie Nel
    Discovery 5

Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing - Ron Swanson

Quote Originally Posted by Igie View Post

Let me try this again.

16/03/2019
    Km 1050
    Customer problem
    Knocking on suspension.

Lazarus
    On inspection no problem

26/11/2019
    Km 15619
    Customers problem
    Knocking on suspension
    Driver electronic window not working.
    Brake shudder.

Lazarus.
    No problem on inspection.
    Fixed window problem.

15/08/2019
    Km 10423
    Customers problem
    When pulling away there is a knocking from gearbox

Lazarus
    On inspection no problem

29/06/2020
    Km 19583
    Customers problem
    Knocking noise when pulling off
    When driving window opens and closes slowly
    Trim above start button staring to fade.

Lazarus
    Fixed window problem.
    On inspection of knocking there was nothing to be wound
    All suspension components where checked.

12/08/2020
    21325km
    Customers problem
    Suspension knocking when pulling of sound like it's coming from gearbox.

Lazarus
    On inspection no problem was wound

27/08/2020
    22092km
    Customers problem
    Knocking noice from side shafts or gearbox.
    Electric window right not working

Lazarus
    Fixed window. On inspection no problem with knocking was found

14/09/2020
    22885km
    Customers problem
    Knocking on suspension
    Driver side window seal loose

Lazarus
    Replace window seal, on inspection no problem with knocking sound

31/03/2021
    Customers problem
    Tail gate alignment
    Knocking from gearbox or suspension
    Radio speakers not working
    Gearbox over heating
    Sunroof not working

Lazarus
    Tail gate required adjustment due touch up on trim panel at tail lights and causing Chave marks vehicle had to go to JLR approved paint shop.
    On inspection of gearbox over heating found metal shavings in oil including excessive wear due to clutches slipping. Planetary gears worn excessively

Transmission and transfer box required replacement.

25/05/2021
    45627km
    Customers problem
    Knocking noice from suspension.

Lazarus

The sound is coming from the sindle gear inside the steering gear. This requires a completed steering gear assembly need tobe replace.
    Yeah I don't think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill. If I were to spend over 1bar for any vehicle I would expect the dealership to treat me with the utmost attention and care. I would also expect to have my vehicle inspected by LR certified technicians every time I point something out. If you experienced knocking when shifting and LR did not pick it up is because they stopped looking when they couldn't hear the noise. One thing I can tell you about modern cars, especially expensive ones, is that anything out of place or any single error picked up by the vehicle's computers is stored and available to a mechanic IF they take the knowledge and correct tools to view it. Some people will say that these things can happen and go unnoticed - bull. If you heard the knock at 10k and transmission packs up at 30k the computer would have picked it up at any point. Maybe not at 1k or 10k,but definitely after. The car picks up data and errors all the time, and it won't show a light on the dash for it every single time. Some things are just stored for future analysis. This is my 2c, and although I am not familiar with ALL the granular details of your situation I can safely say that you are not blowing this out of proportion. Take every measure available.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3