Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Problems with the 2019 Land rover discover 5 SE V6 diesel?

Hi everyone. Any reports on problems with the 2019 Land rover discover 5 SE V6 diesel.?

Just wondering because my husband has had problems from 1000 kilometers. There is a book bigger than a telephone book of problems.. Stared small with decals falling off..and endless suspension problems.. There is just to many things to mention. Car wash bought at one dealership and serviced at the same on.. Now it's on 44 000km.. Nee gearbox new transfer box and know it needs a complete new steering rack. Car is more at land rover than what we have the pleasure to drive it.

Default Re: Problems with the 2019 Land rover discover 5 SE V6 diesel?

Quote Originally Posted by Igie View Post
    Hi everyone. Any reports on problems with the 2019 Land rover discover 5 SE V6 diesel.?

Just wondering because my husband has had problems from 1000 kilometers. There is a book bigger than a telephone book of problems.. Stared small with decals falling off..and endless suspension problems.. There is just to many things to mention. Car wash bought at one dealership and serviced at the same on.. Now it's on 44 000km.. Nee gearbox new transfer box and know it needs a complete new steering rack. Car is more at land rover than what we have the pleasure to drive it.
    Not many D5 owners here. I know two owners with zero problems. Why havenít you taken this up with LR customer care or the DP of the dealership? Make noise, throw toys etc.
    Bruce Hunter. 2021 Defender D240HSE,2019 FJ Cruiser, Audi Q5S Tdi, 2019 VW Tiguan 4motion 2.0tsi(work vehicle), Bush Lapa Kewer 2202, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha FT100hp 4st.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    Not many D5 owners here. I know two owners with zero problems. Why havenít you taken this up with LR customer care or the DP of the dealership? Make noise, throw toys etc.
    .. This problem is with JLR south Africa.. DP we have had so many meetings and it's just not getting anywhere. DP just said will buy the car back art R800 000 so we left with lost of almost R750 000. They keep on repairing the car and leave us with a SHM Land rover so like you all know it's like a car hire but JLR pays for it but if something happens there is payment of R20 000 for insurance. So that leaves us with paying for a car that ends up standing at land rover most of the time.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Igie For This Useful Post:

JLR don't understand the inconvenience that we are going through. this car left us on Easter weekend first holiday after lock down we waited 7H for vehicle and then that F up the entire holiday

I dont drive a land rover but if they come to the party everytime and repair the issues and offer assurances that the repairs are covered for a decent period then stick with the car.Once you get to a point where you can trade to get out of it then consider that option

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    I dont drive a land rover but if they come to the party everytime and repair the issues and offer assurances that the repairs are covered for a decent period then stick with the car.Once you get to a point where you can trade to get out of it then consider that option
    But the issues must stop at some point. Why then buy a brand new car if the problems started at 1000km and just got more and bigger and know at 44 000km it's still not right. Or am I missing a point.

But the issues must stop at some point. Why then buy a brand new car if the problems started at 1000km and just got more and bigger and know at 44 000km it's still not right. Or am I missing a point.
    It's at that point where we can't plan a weekend.. Because there is no more trust in the vehicle we are paying a monthly payment for vehicle we are not driving..

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Igie For This Useful Post:

I agree,take JLR on and make noise.....they don't like it.The D5 in general good!
    2012 RR TDV8 4.4
    2006 TDV6 SE A/T(Sold)
    2013 Bush Lapa Boskriek B142 met CKGR strepe
    2008 FL2 TD4 SE A/T
    1968 Renault 8 Gordini

Well except for the engine most of the bigger things have now been replaced.Im sure its not nice to have issues like that on a vehicle with such a price tag.If however they can guarantee that the fixed items will no longer pose any problems i cant see what else could really go wrong after this.I suppose there must be a point where you must say enough is enough.
    However that offered buyback price is not even an option.
    Have you maybe try to go higher up at LR to see if someone is willing to listen and offer beter options?

.. This problem is with JLR south Africa.. DP we have had so many meetings and it's just not getting anywhere. DP just said will buy the car back art R800 000 so we left with lost of almost R750 000. They keep on repairing the car and leave us with a SHM Land rover so like you all know it's like a car hire but JLR pays for it but if something happens there is payment of R20 000 for insurance. So that leaves us with paying for a car that ends up standing at land rover most of the time.
    Seems crazy for them to offer it, it sounds more like a "go away" offer than a "lets service the customer" offer. I can understand your frustration here...

'12 Audi Q5 3.0 TDi quattro stock standard

'07 VW Touareg (T2) 3.0 V6 TDi (BKS), Air Suspension, Centre and Rear diff locks, DeCAT, 265-65R17 muds - Sold

'01 Jeep WJ Limited 4.7 V8 with some bits - Sold
    '83 Range Rover Classic 3dr 3.5 V8 Rust bucket - Sold

I have driven Landrovers for the last 25 years. Defenders, Freelanders and then a D4 XS. Best of all was the D4.

1. They do not like buying their cars back. All Mine where sold privately then I went back with cash in hand.
    2. Always had good service with my local branch, East London.
    3. Why do I now drive Toyota Reasons given to me while sitting in the pool at Nossob.

a) I will get most of my money back.
    b) LR service agents are far apart. Where I travel I will wait many hours for a rollback maybe even days.
    c) Where ever you are in SA there will be an agent close by or someone in the camp/caravan park that will get you going.
    d) Deepest Africa is the last place you need to breakdown in a Landy.
    e) At Sussosvlei I was the only Disco in the carpark, surrounded by at least 50 Toyos. Makes you think.
    f) Too expensive. Out of my bracket.
    g) After the service plan you will sweat blood when a simple service is done.

I miss my Disco, but am growing into my kitted Hilux.
    2018 Hilux Dakar fully kitted.
    2021 Suzuli Swift 1.2 GLX Swambo's shopping trolley.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to pwgg For This Useful Post:

You have a very high level of patience with JLR.

I donít think I would have been as patient with them as you seem to be.

I think the answer is pretty simple. Strike some kind of deal with them to get out of this damn vehicle and into another vehicle.

Its no good starting a road trip or similar and you are already stressing about the vehicle reliability before you have left home. I mean whatís the point of having the lemon then?

Lemons of this kind never turn into peaches.

It's at that point where we can't plan a weekend.. Because there is no more trust in the vehicle we are paying a monthly payment for vehicle we are not driving..
    Exactly where I got to three years ago after driving LR since 1997. I never got into the vehicle wondering if we would ever get to where we were going.

My daughter, now 21, still gets anxious when having to go on a long trip regardless of the vehicle due to the number of times we were stranded at the side of the road.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Total 4x4 Novice with no experience whats-so-ever

''Nothing makes the Earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes''. H.D. Thoreau.

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

good grief... sounds like a Friday afternoon vehicle.

I'd suggest you go see a lawyer and get them to send JLR a nicely-worded letter to the effect that they need to take their p.o.s D5 back and give you another one (minus kms used).

I had to resort to this in 2011 when they refused to acknowledge that my Puma's steering was not right from the factory.
    2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
    2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic

Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
    Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

The car is just over 2 years old and has done 44 000km, seems to me that you got decent service out of the LR even with all the issues.

That said, I know this is not a nice situation. Friend of mine had issues with his LX450d. First issue was at 2000ks and reoccurred at 3500ks. At this point he immediately insisted on a new vehicle and after throwing his toys and squatting in the DP's office, Lexus finally agreed to replace the vehicle. The longer you tolerate the issues the less likely the manufacturer is to come to the party.
    2018 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 4X4
    2016 Mazda CX-3 2.0 Dynamic Auto - Sold
    2012 VW Tiguan 2.0TDi Bluemotion - Sold
    2009 Ford Fiesta 1.6 Titanium 3 door - Sold

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WernerDL For This Useful Post:

Personally, I would declare fullscale war in a situation like this (the type where you drink wine from the skulls of your enemy😇&#128519. Do not care what opinions may be out there, it is an unacceptable situation. I actually think you have been much too tolerant.

A vehicle like this and you are not in a position to go away for the weekend without wondering if you will get there (or back). A Datsun Go at a fraction of the cost will get you there and back. Nothing to do with the brand, can happen to any manufacturer.

Open hostilities and have at them.
    Jaco Nell

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jaconell For This Useful Post:

May we know what still needs to be "fixed"?

Quote Originally Posted by Orxy View Post
    good grief... sounds like a Friday afternoon vehicle.

I'd suggest you go see a lawyer and get them to send JLR a nicely-worded letter to the effect that they need to take their p.o.s D5 back and give you another one (minus kms used).

I had to resort to this in 2011 when they refused to acknowledge that my Puma's steering was not right from the factory.

Agree this is an expensive vehicle and I assume owner is quite young so the dealer is trying his luck
    Pajero 3.2 DID Gen 4 Standard for now
    Platcar Alfa Giulietta 1.4 MA
    Swambo Volvo S40 T5

Quote Originally Posted by 12richardk View Post
    Agree this is an expensive vehicle and I assume owner is quite young so the dealer is trying his luck
    Yeah, time to go to Defcon 1: lawyer, FB, Twitter, etc.

Best of luck to OP.
    2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
    2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic

Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
    Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

Am I right in calculating that you paid R1.55m for this vehicle?

A quick google search (let alone this forum) would have informed you very quickly that it was not a good option in the first place.

But then again, being under full manufacturer warranty for 5 years or 100,000km should give you peace of mind.

Good luck, I hope it all works out amicably in the end.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast