Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Retirement house- upgrade or downgrade

Getting old is a reality. Take another 10 or 15 year view and think what your physical condition could be based on family history, current physical condition etc and plan accordingly.

Enjoy your retirement and keep busy with what you love to do - not always what you have to do like mowing lawn in big yards and crap like that.
    Last edited by Therackermann; 2021/05/11 at 09:50 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Therackermann For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Retirement house- upgrade or downgrade

I have lived for 40 years in a house i built from scratch. I mean with my own two hands. Memories made there and built out for place so kids could live as well. They have flown the coop so Swambo and myself have a big empty nest. Both retired bus as previous thread we're workaholics. I do handyman work and Swambo cant sit still. We are looking to move to to western cape. Have looked at a couple of house in and out of estates. Have found some that need work to get how we would like them. Found one in an estate outside Hartenbos that's perfect. No work needed. Will still do handyman work and tinker. The plus is cost if living there will be cheaper than in our house in JHB. Garden gets maintained and house gets painted. Lock up and go. So have to downscale. This house is double story but when we can't do steps anymore there's a bed and bath on ground floor. Upstairs will be for visitors. Lot smaller than our empty nest. Another big plus is that municipality works down here. Life is a lot slower good for the soul. There are estates with frail care where we can look at later on in life, all in good time. Saw a house today where a couple built their house together. Spiffy house with wonderful sea view. He passed away a short while ago and she wants to move back to Pretoria where her kids are. Sad to see this really. We're hoping we are doing it so we can enjoy our golden years. Dont leave it too late. Life can be short. You only have one life live it.
    Last edited by Wylie E; 2021/05/11 at 10:57 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wylie E For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Wylie E View Post
    I have lived for 40 years in a house i built from scratch. I mean with my own two hands. Memories made there and built out for place so kids could live as well. They have flown the coop so Swambo and myself have a big empty nest. Both retired bus as previous thread we're workaholics. I do handyman work and Swambo cant sit still. We are looking to move to to western cape. Have looked at a couple of house in and out of estates. Have found some that need work to get how we would like them. Found one in an estate outside Hartenbos that's perfect. No work needed. Will still do handyman work and tinker. The plus is cost if living there will be cheaper than in our house in JHB. Garden gets maintained and house gets painted. Lock up and go. So have to downscale. This house is double story but when we can't do steps anymore there's a bed and bath on ground floor. Upstairs will be for visitors. Lot smaller than our empty nest. Another big plus is that municipality works down here. Life is a lot slower good for the soul. There are estates with frail care where we can look at later on in life, all in good time. Saw a house today where a couple built their house together. Spiffy house with wonderful sea view. He passed away a short while ago and she wants to move back to Pretoria where her kids are. Sad to see this really. We're hoping we are doing it so we can enjoy our golden years. Dont leave it too late. Life can be short. You only have one life live it.
    Just be aware that hartenbos gets REALLY busy in holiday season.

My two big considerations are security and monthly running costs.
    At the moment my R&T, electricity and levies are over 12K a month and increasing annually. Unaffordable in the long term with a reduced income.
    When I decide on a retirement property I would want to cut down on all living expenses and live a more simple life in a safe environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Wylie E View Post

One thing you said stands out for me and yes I know I'm still young.
    Almal wil 'n huisie by die see he, for a lot of people it's a dream to retire down at the coast.
    Though there will always be exceptions in life, I'm of the firm belief that it's generally a bad idea to go retire in a total different area from where you lived all your life. Suddenly you move away from everything you've known all your life, all your friends, all your family, your support base, even your doctor. So you go live down by the coast, but immediately you are all alone, far from your kids, your grandchildren, your friends.
    As I said their are exceptions, there are people with no real family or friends, there are people who can easily adapt in a new environment again, make new friends etc.

I just hear of so many people going to retire far away from everything and everyone and then a couple years later they move back because they realize they made a mistake, or like in your example one of the partners fall away, the other haven't addapted yet so they want to move back to their routes.
    "The problems we have today is because the guys who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." - Magnus Heystek

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bigboy529 For This Useful Post:

bigboy529

EXACTLY RIGHT

the homespun wisdom also believes Kan nie oue wortels skud nie meaning once a plant has deep roots to uproot and transplant causes significant decline and damage

SO

If you want to end up at the sea move in your early 50s so you have time to re establish yourself and stabilise your environment and become a local then and NOT when you are over 65 where the opportunities for making new friends and connections are limited

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Maartendeneef For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    One thing you said stands out for me and yes I know I'm still young.
    Almal wil 'n huisie by die see he, for a lot of people it's a dream to retire down at the coast.
    Though there will always be exceptions in life, I'm of the firm belief that it's generally a bad idea to go retire in a total different area from where you lived all your life. Suddenly you move away from everything you've known all your life, all your friends, all your family, your support base, even your doctor. So you go live down by the coast, but immediately you are all alone, far from your kids, your grandchildren, your friends.
    As I said their are exceptions, there are people with no real family or friends, there are people who can easily adapt in a new environment again, make new friends etc.

I just hear of so many people going to retire far away from everything and everyone and then a couple years later they move back because they realize they made a mistake, or like in your example one of the partners fall away, the other haven't addapted yet so they want to move back to their routes.
    I hear what you are saying. Yes have heard this from people who emigrated. Lost everything in the exercise. We have in the short time down here met some awesome people. To join community activities is not a bad thing. When Covid happened you actually get to realize who your real friends are. Most are acquaintances at best. There are a handful that actually kept in contact during lockdown and ask how things were going. Those few will be welcome for holidays down with us. We are down here now almost a month. We are trying experience winter weather to see if we can abide it. So far the mild and balmy days have been good. Been for walks on beach and nice part is you dont feel the need to look over your shoulder all the time. This move has been in planning for a long time already. Will keep updating.

Thanks for all the input guys

Income doesn't come into the equation. I plan to leave work when my passive income streams have grown to the point where I'll have exactly the same cash on hand I do now, without the salary. Realistically that's 2-3 years away, and as the investment properties bonds come down I can invest again and grow the portfolio. Rental income beats inflation, my pensions (there will be 4) lag behind it slightly but then again so do salary increases.
    Financially I will only do this when there's no need to get out of bed for 30 days to generate a single rand with my hands or brain, and take no drop in lifestyle. Practically, I would die of boredom if I didn't do anything. I'll work for fun money.
    Rob
    Defender 90 pickup. Lexus V8, Spitronics, 33" KL71, beadlocks, +2" Terrafirma, ATB's, 3.75 CW&P, 1.21 TC.
    Disco 2 ES TD5. Custom map, V8 TC
    Disco 1 ES 300TDi
    Series IIA 88" pickup
    Subaru impreza WRX
    Porsche Boxster S
    Shamrock Cobra 350
    Buell XB12R

This moving to the coast was part of the "retirement training" I mentioned. I have seen also nice articles on it. It goes a bit like this:
    - People dream
    - People go on holiday max one month during the nice weather period
    - People buy a house and pay expensive cost of moving
    - People fix the house at some cost
    - House fixing is done and then What now? No friends, miserable weather, no money to move back

Idea of moving before retirements and setting roots might be an idea. To get a decent job in those coastal communities is not that easy.

It is not that easy. If things are properly planned and items like grand children are not an issue then fine.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

Quote Originally Posted by mullerza View Post
    best of both, freestanding house with small/low maintenance garden.

Whenever I talk to people living in complexes I'm reminded why I dont live in one and why I never want to.
    I just had to (stolen from iandvl)

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Prof; 2021/05/12 at 05:58 PM.
    '98 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    '02 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Prof For This Useful Post:

How much do you guys spend on levies for estate properties? With the new normal that allow remote working you can move to your desired location before retirement to shoot roots..
    2004 Ranger 4000 V6 Auto (Weekender & Heavy loads)
    2011 BMW X1 Auto (My Mommy-Wagon)
    2011 CashCow 1.6 (Swambo)

Big differences between places. Agents do not give easily true numbers. You have to ask copy of an account that includes ALL costs.

With remote working option available I would not look at complexes. I would look for small dorps with good internet and relatively close to bigger town - under 100 km. If there are school going kids school selection comes into picture. You can find a BIG house on a large stand for a price of a tiny flat in a big town. If the circumstances allow drive towards WC even NC. There is a clear line where there is no more dirt on the streets, houses are looked after, crime reduces... After that line you can start looking for a place.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakazi View Post
    How much do you guys spend on levies for estate properties? With the new normal that allow remote working you can move to your desired location before retirement to shoot roots..
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart

I think you have to slowly work your way to a retirement setup (and here you have to make sure that it has proper care like a frail care center).

We are in the current position with our parents in their 80's, with my father passing away about 2 years ago, and went trough the whole exercise of getting him out of a flat and into a retirement village with proper care.

At a certain age you will need this, getting people to care for you in your own house is not that feasible, again, have seen the problems some of my parent's friends had, with people not pitching and theft etc.

Also after a certain age some of these places will not even put you on their waiting lists to get in.

As for moving to such a place I can understand the resistance, I have 3 parents all in their mid 80's not wanting to move in, but at least have to option to go whenever they need to.

We moved 5 years ago from a freestanding property in Cape Town, with plenty of space, a pool, views from Gordon's bay to table mountain into a complex in PE. Initially it was a huge change but now I am very happy and would not want it any other way. The point being, change is difficult but you will adapt. In my eyes I am now one step closer to the retirement village.

I am still contemplating if I will first do a flat and then the village or from complex to village. My camping habits and dog are currently keeping me from a flat.

I am every now and then thinking myself into that village, so when the day comes, it will not have to be traumatic.
    Barry Hall

Land Cruiser 105

19. The Following User Says Thank You to BarryCH For This Useful Post:

I have been following this thread with interest, being in this position myself. Maybe we can hear from our members who has been living in a retirement village for some time already.

I grew up in Cape Town and moved to the Great Smoke 34 years ago for work.It was always my dream to retire in that area again. Meanwhile we did look around for alternatives as we made up our minds that Gauteng was no place to retire. We looked at some really nice places inland.

Then we went on a visit to the Western Cape to look around. Some very nice places also, but be prepared to pay a price premium of 25 to 40% on what is available inland. We will now retire nearer home and use our out of season pensioners discount to visit the coast.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryCH View Post
    I think you have to slowly work your way to a retirement setup (and here you have to make sure that it has proper care like a frail care center).

We are in the current position with our parents in their 80's, with my father passing away about 2 years ago, and went trough the whole exercise of getting him out of a flat and into a retirement village with proper care.

At a certain age you will need this, getting people to care for you in your own house is not that feasible, again, have seen the problems some of my parent's friends had, with people not pitching and theft etc.

Also after a certain age some of these places will not even put you on their waiting lists to get in.

As for moving to such a place I can understand the resistance, I have 3 parents all in their mid 80's not wanting to move in, but at least have to option to go whenever they need to.

We moved 5 years ago from a freestanding property in Cape Town, with plenty of space, a pool, views from Gordon's bay to table mountain into a complex in PE. Initially it was a huge change but now I am very happy and would not want it any other way. The point being, change is difficult but you will adapt. In my eyes I am now one step closer to the retirement village.

I am still contemplating if I will first do a flat and then the village or from complex to village. My camping habits and dog are currently keeping me from a flat.

I am every now and then thinking myself into that village, so when the day comes, it will not have to be traumatic.

Some people can do a one stage retirement, others need a two stage from what I've seen.
    My grandmother moved from the farm to a retirement village in her mid 70's when my grandfather passed away. She had a nice big detached flat, her own kitchen etc. so actually still totally independent but she could get help if needed.
    8 Years later after a car accident she gave up her car and wanted to move closer to the kids so we moved her to Pretoria, but we still tried the same setup, her own flat in a retirement village.
    She was there for around 6 months, we quickly realized that it no longer works and that she requires more help / care. We then moved her to another retirement village where she basically has a much smaller bachelor type flat, no longer have to make her own food, get meds delivered daily in the correct quantities etc. Grandma survived covid last year, she's turning 89 this year and is still reasonably healthy.

My other grandparents moved from their farm to a house in town in their mid 60's, everyone's opinion back then was that they should have moved straight to a retirement village. We eventually forced them to move to a retirement village in their late 70's, but they never really adapted. Due to mobility issues they never really made friends with the other people and they weren't very happy there, but they got cared for which was the most important. This showed me that you also shouldn't leave moving to a retirement village for too late in life, you must still be active and mobile so you can make new friends and adapt to some extent. In my opinion they should have moved straight to a retirement village type place back when they sold the farm, in a village but you still have your own detached house with the option of moving to a smaller flat with more care within the same village should it be needed at a later stage.
    "The problems we have today is because the guys who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." - Magnus Heystek

22. The Following User Says Thank You to bigboy529 For This Useful Post:

yep from what i have seen, it has a lot to do with the mind set. If you can adapt or at least be prepared then you can settle and still enjoy life as opposed to be grumpy and bitching all the time.

i have told my wife though that i am looking forward to being the grumpy old bliksem, and will start practicing now already, i am 48 and have a couple of years before i have to make the move.
    Barry Hall

Land Cruiser 105

One item that makes easier to move is the count how many times person has moved. I saw this with my parents. They have moved more than the vast majority of their age Finns. They were living in a semi attached house with garden and snow work. One day mother calls my sister "We have decided (BOTH!) that it is too much for us to keep the house. Please look for a flat for us." My sister found 3 to look at. Out of those one was the best "wheel chair" friendly and everything within a walking distance. Move was easy for them. Same municipality, same shops, block of flats designed for elderly AND they were used to move.

Father had to be moved to a care home couple years later. It is within walking distance. They do not move couples if not required due to health - cost issue for the municipality, which has to pay by law.

One big issue is transport. One day the driving is no more. Many retirement places have transport. Second is food. Old do not eat enough. They might starve if not looked after.

I asked at the old age home when to move in. 75 latest. Over 80 causes problems and especially if a person had lived in one place all his/her life.

Old age homes are perfect places for healthy single males with some money
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart

Quote Originally Posted by Hagu13 View Post
    I have an investment property in Knysna and I had it on Airbnb for a few years and used it as my holiday home in off season. I now have a long term tenant but still make several trips a year up there. We are making friends in the town and scouting out properties quite a lot on the web and in person. We have a local pub where they know us. We have a boat and use it on the estuary. So it's not a total unknown.
    Nothing is driving me away from Melkbos as such. I'm just bored as I've lived my entire adult life here. As lovely as it is here I don't surf or fish so I won't be missing anything with a move. Friends yes but it's a short drive to visit either way. It's more that Knysna is drawing me. I moved to Melkbos to be close to work and when I stop working I don't need to be here.
    This changes everything, like me I farmed in Molteno and had a holiday house in Chintsa East for many years, so to move here was no big deal. I know people, the area, the house is perfect, right size etc. Have all the stuff I need installed, TV, phone etc.

If i was you I would rent out your cape town house long term, give your Knysna tenant notice and do the swop.

Tip: you will soon see who your real friends are, those that care to visit you.
    2018 Hilux Dakar fully kitted.
    2021 Suzuli Swift 1.2 GLX Swambo's shopping trolley.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to pwgg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pwgg View Post

Transvaaler buys a place on coast and will have a lot of "friends" if you disclose the address on the coast. We have seen these "free holiday" people. Overseas the same. Person has a summer cottage and no peace. Just now there are articles how to solve this issue.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart

Quote Originally Posted by pwgg View Post
    This changes everything, like me I farmed in Molteno and had a holiday house in Chintsa East for many years, so to move here was no big deal. I know people, the area, the house is perfect, right size etc. Have all the stuff I need installed, TV, phone etc.

If i was you I would rent out your cape town house long term, give your Knysna tenant notice and do the swop.

Unfortunately I would have to sell here and buy that side. Likely bond free but that's not essential. My Knysna investment property is a flat and it's not suitable for my needs as a place to live. Can't have the cars there. I know that Cape Town is a great place for the rental market. We currently have 3 flats in Parklands and will buy the 4th this year. The agent looking after them is great- we don't need to be close by.

I think the move will be easy. From a small holiday town on a cold ocean to a medium sized holiday town on a warm estuary. Not like moving from a big inland city down to the coast.
    Rob
    Defender 90 pickup. Lexus V8, Spitronics, 33" KL71, beadlocks, +2" Terrafirma, ATB's, 3.75 CW&P, 1.21 TC.
    Disco 2 ES TD5. Custom map, V8 TC
    Disco 1 ES 300TDi
    Series IIA 88" pickup
    Subaru impreza WRX
    Porsche Boxster S
    Shamrock Cobra 350
    Buell XB12R

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2