Default House alarm setup

We have a small holding in the berg and for the past 25years have not had a problem however 4 weeks back where burgled and although they took necessities like bedding and food they left items like a old hifi, vacuum and other small appliances.

I have now had a paradox alarm with exterior beams installed along with an olarm unit so I can monitor and manage the alarm remotely along with Wyze cameras to see what it is that has set off the alarm and it notifies me of movement and sound.

The above works very well and if there is a problem we have a neighbour who is one of those guys who loves a bit of action and will respond at anytime of day or night.

The alarm has gone off 5 times in 4 weeks. 2 being an eland, 1 a baboon, 1 being a local who wanted to see what we might have in our shed which is empty and lastly once when a lost tourist turned up on our front lawn which I will stop with the installation of a gate.

We have a siren which turns off after 5 min but I question its value/use if not to upset those in the valley who might hear it. In such a remote location would it be best to have the siren indoors to add to the irritation of trying to steal things in a high noise environment or should I leave it outdoors?

In a built environment I get having a siren in the hope your neighbours will come to your aid if heard but on a small holding it feels more like its just disturbing the peace and tranquility and really doing much.

Your thought?

Default Re: House alarm setup

Your argument makes sense. Putting the horn inside might be more effective.
    Current - 2009 Mazda BT50 3.0CRDi 4x4 d/c
    Previous - 2005 Ranger 2.5 tdi 4x2 d/c (277 422km)

I will do it a bit different, put the current siren inside yes, but then get one double the size and put it outside, even get 2 huge ones and put one each side of the house on the outside.

As long as you sort your false alarms then I'm sure your neighbours won't mind to be notified if something's up.
    "The problems we have today is because the guys who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." - Magnus Heystek

Hard to sort false alarms when it comes to baboons and eland. I don't really want to put up a 6ft game fence as it would spoil the view and I have seen eland quite easily clear a game fence anyway.

I am exploring options to try deter animals on the lawn but at the same time it's part of the beauty of the place.

Maybe you can move the alarm detection zone closer to the house.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jouko For This Useful Post:

Hi.

With Paradox you can set the system that the beams does not trigger the siren, and only send you a notification. That way when there is movement outside you have the option to view on the cameras and press the panic on the phone to activate the siren. When something does breach the inside sensors, the alarm can trigger automatically.

Maybe consider setting it up like that in the 2 areas and then you are able to manage the system and false alarms a bit better. Not going to be easy to manage false alarms from such big animals.
    Gerhard
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2
    Mercedes GLA 2.0 diesel (SWAMBO)
    And a Summit Everest trailer that SWAMBO loves.

Why not get those sirens for inside house ie it's set up alarm company with high decibels that actually disorintates you and causes unwell feelings. You could also look at pepper spray alarm system that goes off when inside house. Outside building I would install an alarm and strobe light on roof. Added fun, add a few speakers that you can inform the intruder you are watching him.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

9. The Following User Says Thank You to hunter26 For This Useful Post:

Thanks guys. I like the idea of changing the alarm to a silent notification. It does require me to make sure I wake and respond but that's life I guess.

I am in the process of installing better outside lights to also help with false camera activation from the bugs being attracted to the IR.

I don't really want to go strobes and pepper spray as by the time they in its too late anyway. The whole idea is early detection and warning.
    Last edited by warrenpfo; 2021/05/11 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko View Post
    Maybe you can move the alarm detection zone closer to the house.
    When next up next weekend I plan to take a protractor and some string to try set up a 90 degree box to help get the beams closer to the house.

We did the whole walk testing and thought we had it good but those pmd85 beams work far better than they say on the box and we getting detection at far beyond the 11m range they supposed to have
    Last edited by warrenpfo; 2021/05/11 at 10:20 AM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to warrenpfo For This Useful Post:

There were unwanted house guests last night 3 houses from me.

I have the exact same setup as you (Paradox beams and Olarm on my phone).

I now got HIK Vision cameras that I am connecting to a Spotbot. From what I read and talking to my local security company, the Spotbot is a truly amazing product. They are starting the installation today.

Have a look at this - https://www.spotbot.co.za/?gclid=EAI...iAAEgImm_D_BwE

If I knew this before I might not even have installed beams. The only reason I actually still want beams is for the alarm to go off and the intruder to get a fright and run away.

With Spotbot that connects to your cameras, the intruder is not alerted that you know he is there. You get a message (with a photo) on your phone and through a small speaker in your house it says something like "Intruder alert". So there is no big audible sound for the intruder to hear but you get early detection.

It works better than beams (if it actually does what is says because I have not tested mine yet): -
    - They claim 99% accuracy on only identifying people. So false alarms like pets or trees moving are eliminated. That would suit your false alarms.
    - It is a plug and play system so you can easily do it yourself. Just make sure that your cameras are supported by Spotbot.
    - As it is on the cameras, you also get quite a far reach ito. security. The camera can see a big area where a beam is more in a straight line that you must cross to be detected. I have x2 other "beams" in the garden that work more like the sensors in the house.

From the sales person I spoke to you can connect as many people to it to get the notifications as you want, including the security company.

P.S - Paradox now makes cameras with this AI in. If I knew that I would not have bought separate cameras and the SpotBot. You already have cameras so have a look at the price of the SpotBot and then in possibly replacing all cameras with the new models from Paradox.
    Last edited by Andrew123; 2021/05/11 at 11:59 AM.
    2020 Ford Everest XLT 2.0 (Swambo)
    2018 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew123 For This Useful Post:

Very interesting but not cheap.

The wyze system also has AI and person detection and a bunch of other settings. The quality is good too and I am happy.

It's only been 4 weeks so I am still playing with settings and getting things right.

And a video of this mornings intruder

I am going to try move that beam to closer to the house but its not too bad I think.
    Last edited by warrenpfo; 2021/05/11 at 12:08 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to warrenpfo For This Useful Post:

No not cheap at all but 100% necessary if your cameras don't have AI.

The intruders last night (3 houses from us) moved one camera so that it shows upwards and not where it normally should. The lady inside must have had a monitor in the house as the whatsapp she typed says she saw one camera is looking upwards and then she saw them on another camera. If she had something like SpotBot or any AI in the cameras that would have alerted her to them being there and fiddling with the cameras.

"Ek het dadelik opgelet een kamera is gelig en in die hoek van die ander kamera n gedeelte van die persoon se kop gesien."

I did not even know there were products like SpotBot or cameras with AI as I never had cameras, only beams.

Then it seems you are sorted in terms of detecting the intruder.

Now just to get your siren sorted.
    2020 Ford Everest XLT 2.0 (Swambo)
    2018 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by warrenpfo View Post
    I am going to try move that beam to closer to the house but its not too bad I think.
    Paradox 780 beams can be installed on the house walls. Will only detect something within a meter or so from the wall.
    Johan Kriel

Get one of these big boys for outside and or inside :

https://www.communica.co.za/products...BoCuWQQAvD_BwE

Metalian Maxi

Think I might need to change the title to how does one discourage or deter Eland on your front lawn.

Had a few more midnight visitors, I would think even if the beams where mounted on the house they still would have picked up the chap at the front door.

Last edited by warrenpfo; 2021/05/12 at 12:35 PM.

Last edited by warrenpfo; 2021/05/12 at 12:31 PM.

Have a look at Mobotix cameras. It does everything mentioned above, but isnít cheap. I have them setup at my home. Amazing AI, build in mic and speaker, lots of automation capabilities. No need for a NVR. You can even configure the size of the object it should detect.
    When nature calls
    Jacques Steyn

2009 Toyota Prado 150 VX (202kw)
    OL Front bumper | Snorkel | OME Suspension

Swambo : 2012 VW Polo 1.4 Comfort line

Ex 2008 Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX A/T (199kw) | TD Suspension | Outback Extreme Rear Bumper | Ironman Front Bumper | Air Helpers | Snorkel | FR Roofrack
    Ex 1996 Ssangyong Musso 602EL TD A/T Exec (82kw) |Snorkel | Bilstein B6 | Disco 2 springs | FR Roofrack | ARB Front bumper | Rear Bumper
    Ex 1982 Citroen CX Prestige automatic
    Ex 1976 Citroen GS Club
    Ex 2013 Honda CRV Exec Auto AWD
    Ex 2007 Toyota Auris 2.0 D4D
    Ex 2010 Honda Accord 2.4i Exec Manual (148kw)
    Ex 1997 Isuzu KB280LE TD D/C 2x4
    Ex 1997 Toyota Corolla RSI (121kw)
    Ex 1989 Toyota Corolla GLI TwinCam Exec (98kw)