Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Household Gas installation question

I inherited my parent's cupboard that was made to house their 9Kg bottle with a small 2 burner plus oven gas stove sitting on top. We have a free-standing 4 burner gas stove with an electric oven. The electric part was connected by a sparky. The stove came with a gas pipe and regulator. I just slip the pipe with the regulator attached through a purpose-made notch in the cupboard and thread the regulator on the bottle in the cupboard. So I'm totally confused about what the "installation" part entails, and what the CoC will be for as there is no installation required.
    Cobus
    Jimny

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko View Post
    Ask the installer to show the latest Gas installation specification. I have SANS 10087-1:2013 Edition 6. Seems to be the latest. It has no wall between. You can have two 48 kg next to each other. There are many other restrictions, which for instance prevent us installing on demand geyser for the kitchen in the main house. Regulation also allows 19 kg inside but I would not have one inside.

I have big problems with these COC people of all professions plus inspectors and AIAs of pressure equipment. They create their own rules and regulations and do not follow the real regulations. I battle on these issues on a daily bases (high pressure stuff).
    So after a chat with the installer he said two 19kg bottles of DIFFERENT installations cannot be next to each other.

We wanted to place the one bottle for the stove next to the one for the flats geyser and he said its a no no. Wall or 6m apart.
    My ryding: 'n Ding met 4 rubber sirkels en n enjin wat nou en dan aangedryf word met al 4 sirkels

He is reading 5.3.1 in the standard. If you put one bottle connected to both points of use and switch over valve to spare bottle next to it that could be one installation. You tried to have two bottles in use next to each other for the use in different locations. No reason to do that. Use one bottle for both.

In general 48 kg lasts long but needs two people to load. 19 kg is a good size but have always a spare (also for 48 AND 9). We have 48 and the spare is one of the two 9kg in use (braai and heater). Gas will be guaranteed to run out when SWAMBO is in the shower.

Quote Originally Posted by IcePick88 View Post
    So after a chat with the installer he said two 19kg bottles of DIFFERENT installations cannot be next to each other.

We wanted to place the one bottle for the stove next to the one for the flats geyser and he said its a no no. Wall or 6m apart.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

@Scheepers85, sent you a pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko View Post
    He is reading 5.3.1 in the standard. If you put one bottle connected to both points of use and switch over valve to spare bottle next to it that could be one installation. You tried to have two bottles in use next to each other for the use in different locations. No reason to do that. Use one bottle for both.

In general 48 kg lasts long but needs two people to load. 19 kg is a good size but have always a spare (also for 48 AND 9). We have 48 and the spare is one of the two 9kg in use (braai and heater). Gas will be guaranteed to run out when SWAMBO is in the shower.
    It's going to be two separate installs. The people in the flat will be responsible for their own bottle (how can one gauge how much gas they used from the bottle vs us) and we will handle our bottle.

So they need to be 6m apart or a wall between them.
    My ryding: 'n Ding met 4 rubber sirkels en n enjin wat nou en dan aangedryf word met al 4 sirkels

6. The Following User Says Thank You to IcePick88 For This Useful Post:

This is an interesting case. Original 2 plate was not fixed = no COC. I suspect that the current one became fixed when it was connected to power. If so it needs two COCs. Electrical and gas.

In the standard paragraphs: 3.13 and 6.2

Quote Originally Posted by jab2 View Post
    I inherited my parent's cupboard that was made to house their 9Kg bottle with a small 2 burner plus oven gas stove sitting on top. We have a free-standing 4 burner gas stove with an electric oven. The electric part was connected by a sparky. The stove came with a gas pipe and regulator. I just slip the pipe with the regulator attached through a purpose-made notch in the cupboard and thread the regulator on the bottle in the cupboard. So I'm totally confused about what the "installation" part entails, and what the CoC will be for as there is no installation required.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

R9k is crazy, we had a 4 burner hob installed, with 9kg on the outside + cage + COC for 3800 the other day.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Morne - Skip For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Morne - Skip View Post
    R9k is crazy, we had a 4 burner hob installed, with 9kg on the outside + cage + COC for 3800 the other day.
    Ja our installation will be R2250. That is for running the gas lines (15m) and the connecting the stove and bottle.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2