Default Tyre Temperatures

Does anyone know what the temperature of an AT 265/60 R18 tyre should be at 2.2.Bar travelling at 120kmh with the ambient temperature being 25 deg C ?

Default Re: Tyre Temperatures

Eish, Google. Depending on road conditions, road heat, weight, load.....
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

3. The Following User Says Thank You to hunter26 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hunter26 View Post
    Eish, Google. Depending on road conditions, road heat, weight, load.....
    I Googled this add-infinitum - found nothing

Last edited by 4ePajero; 2021/05/10 at 04:57 PM.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2006 VW Touareg V10 (Sold)
    2002 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Di-d SWB

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 4ePajero For This Useful Post:

I don't have that size tyres but as a rule the TPMS shows around 30 deg @ 25 ambient. On warm days like 35 deg plus I have seen the TPMS indicate 45 deg plus! I had 265/75/R16 GY Wranglers.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB15 View Post
    Does anyone know what the temperature of an AT 265/60 R18 tyre should be at 2.2.Bar travelling at 120kmh with the ambient temperature being 25 deg C ?
    "If you spend most of your time in the library in the fiction section, your thoughts and decisions will be based on fiction"

Luka Geertsema

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Luka For This Useful Post:

I don't have the same size tyre as you specified on any of my vehicles but I can give you an idea of the temperatures I normally get when traveling.
    On my Disco 2 I have 245/70-16 tyres and 235/75-15 on the Xplorer caravan. I use a digital infrared thermometer to check both tyre and hub temperatures at all stops as an early warning to an under inflated tyre or wheel bearing problem. The normal temperature I get is 60c but if the road and ambient are high it can go as high as 70c. These temperatures are with the recommended tyre pressure for both the Disco and the caravan tyres. When I'm not towing and the tyre pressures are set for that configuration the temperatures are also normally at 60c.
    Play around with checking your tyre temperatures when driving your normal routes with the pressures set as per the vehicles specification. This will give you a good base line to see what happens when you increase or decrease pressures.
    The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes theyre already there.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    Suzuki SJ410 (being rebuild)
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi
    Lotus 7 (replica - not a kit)
    Freelance Photographer (part time)
    Member Of: Southern African Freelancers' Association

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul#25 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Paul#25 View Post
    I don't have the same size tyre as you specified on any of my vehicles but I can give you an idea of the temperatures I normally get when traveling.
    On my Disco 2 I have 245/70-16 tyres and 235/75-15 on the Xplorer caravan. I use a digital infrared thermometer to check both tyre and hub temperatures at all stops as an early warning to an under inflated tyre or wheel bearing problem. The normal temperature I get is 60c but if the road and ambient are high it can go as high as 70c. These temperatures are with the recommended tyre pressure for both the Disco and the caravan tyres. When I'm not towing and the tyre pressures are set for that configuration the temperatures are also normally at 60c.
    Play around with checking your tyre temperatures when driving your normal routes with the pressures set as per the vehicles specification. This will give you a good base line to see what happens when you increase or decrease pressures.
    There is probably quite a big difference between temps measures on the outside circumference as you are doing and tmeasuring the air inside a tire as a TPMS does (which I suspect is what the OP is using).

I have only once ever seen 60 on my TPMS, and that was on a very hot day in Namibia on a heavily loaded vehicle.

To the OP, I generally expect tire temps (measured by TPMS) to run in the region of 15-20 degrees above ambient, depending on load. I have not noticed size being a large differentiator, but load definitely is. And I suspect the difference between ambient and tire should probably be expressed as a percentage rather than an absolute.
    Last edited by Peter Connan; 2021/05/10 at 07:59 PM.
    Beat-up rat rod of a '96 Nissan Patrol that bears the evidence of many wonderful adventures (and a few stupid indiscretions).

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter Connan For This Useful Post:

Just drove from Pta to Limpopo. Outside temp was 26 deg, tyre temp 30 deg. After a 10 min stop I noticed the tyre temp has risen to 45 deg.
    "If you spend most of your time in the library in the fiction section, your thoughts and decisions will be based on fiction"

Luka Geertsema

There is so much to factor in.

I have sensors with pressure and temperatures.

Driving with one side in full sun makes a huge difference, to tyres on the one side.

Even driving on the white painted line, that side the temperatures will be lower than the other side, after a while. tried it just to see if it made a difference, and it did.

Even a strong wind from one side will increase the pressure and temperature on the one side.

Altitude makes a difference.

weight, load, speed, road conditions, new tar (dark) vs old tar, hot tar in the sun, rough stones tar vs smooth tar, etc, etc.

lower the pressure the hotter it gets.

the back warms up more than the front, especially if loaded. which increases the pressure.

For example:- my 285 BFG land-cruiser

• cold 25 deg in the garage all 2bar. at sea level.
    • after driving 10kms at 25deg; 2.4 bar, temp 40deg on the sensor. slight difference on each side due to side gusty wind
    • after arriving at the bottom of sani pass on tar, in snow 0deg, tyre temp 20deg and 1.4 bar.
    • near the top of the pass, at -6deg, 0.6 bar. driving in virgin new snow foot thick, first 4x4 up.
    • back on the coast. at 28deg on the freeway it was back to 2.6bar. and tyre temp 45deg.

and that is why pressures should be checked when "cold" in the shade and not after driving a few kms.
    Last edited by K-9; 2021/05/13 at 01:18 PM.
    Current off-road vehicles: *** Great family accommodation. See Facebook, Google maps and airbnb. Mkulu Kei at Wild Wind Ranch
    * 1975/8 SHREK LAND-CRUISER FJ40 DIESEL P/U, BFG 31x10.5 muds. 1.6 ton tirfor winchs
    * 1994 LAND-CRUISER J70 DIESEL P/U, my truck recovery vehicle. 15000 warn winch. And 3.5ton tirfor winch. Back full of appropriate sized recovery gear. BFG31x10.5 muds
    * 2014 LAND-CRUISER LX V8 76 DIESEL STATION WAGON, BFG's 285 all terrain.

* 2011 HILUX 4X4 P/U, BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 1999 PAJERO 3.5 V6 Mitsubishi (sorry not a Toyota), BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 2006 FORD ranger 2.5 diesel. 4x4, (what was I thinking, also not a Toyota!) I have a spare 5000 warn winch I might fit.
    * 2011 ISUZU bakkie 4x4
    * MERCEDES UNIMOG U416.
    * FIONA - Rhino Yamaha 660 4x4. Warn winch. Mud tyres
    * 4x4 trailer, 1987, BFG all terrain
    * GSA 1200 BMW ADVENTURE LC 2018, the closest motorbike to a land cruiser. And a Honda 200
    * A Massey Fergusson 375 tractor. And a John Deere E140 2020 tractor

I have the same tyres and can see 45C on long highway trips at about 25C ambient.

they are about 2.3bar at 20C.
    Dont take anything I say as actual advice or fact. I dont.

Haval H9 2.0T AWD
    Ex 2019 Ranger DC XLT Manual 4x4
    Ex 2017 Ranger DC XL Auto 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by 4ePajero View Post
    The 4PSI rule caters for all the variables.

Try it, it works.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2006 VW Touareg V10 (Sold)
    2002 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Di-d SWB

Quote Originally Posted by JB15 View Post
    What tyre and how much weight? A P spec tyre would quite possibly run warmer than a LT spec tyre. The latter has got a more sturdy construction and less tendency to bulge, given the same conditions. Hence it would run cooler.

Drive for 20 minutes and check by hand, if the tyre is warm to the touch, you are good. If it's hot, like a lot warmer than your hand, it's not good anymore. This works for most types and sizes of tyres.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

My Prado 120 always runs at 37 to 39 measured with tmps. Funny, the tire closest to exhaust always runs hotter. Or it's something else...