Thread: Duster vs Rav4

Question Duster vs Rav4

Hello 4x4 community!

New to the forum and to SA. Looking to purchase a 4x4 that won't break the bank, both upfront and maintenance.

It will be mainly used for day to day city driving and the occasional weekend offroad & trip to Moz, nothing too intense.

Budget is around 180k.

We've narrowed it down to the Rav4 and the Duster but are open to suggestions. How do these two compare in terms of ownership cost, reliability and offroad ability?

Thanks for the help!

Default Re: Duster vs Rav4

Hi Elliot,

Pretty soon someone is going to come along and mention you should buy the RAV because the parts are inexpensive and readily available.

In my opinion, the Duster is a better overall 4x4 package than the Rav and is cheaper on fuel.

It is easy to live with but it remains an entry level vehicle to the 4x4 SUV world.
    Cheers
    Willem Greyling

"When the wise man points at the moon, the imbecile examines the finger" - Confucius

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MANDREAS For This Useful Post:

4x4 I will go Duster

The 1.5dci is just one awesome machine
    One life Live it

Take The Roads less traveled

Alles in die lewe gebeur met n doel

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Haggy4x4Bedinges For This Useful Post:

Cant really offer an opinion on the Rav, but Duster wise..

Got a 2nd hand 2019 4x4 1.5 Dynamique with 30K on the odo about a month ago. Just did a 3000km trip to Upington and back, vehicle didnt mis a beat.
    The ride was comfortable, much less road noise than expected, sound and nav system is good, aircon is brilliant.
    Found the vehicle to be quite stable on the road, not twitchy even with cross winds.
    The gearbox takes a bit of getting used to,
    1, 2 and 3 being real short for 4x4 purposes, 4, 5 and 6 for the open road, found myself only using 5 and 6 on the highway, turbo providing smooth power from about 1800rpm to 3500rpm.
    Fuel fig's 13-15km/lt average, fully laden with 3 adults and aircon on all the way.

Did the same trip last year with the
    1.5 Avanza, worlds apart....

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bospatrollie2 For This Useful Post:

Also don't know the Rav4 at all..

My Duster is a 2014 4x4 DCi, have it now nearly 2 years, I drive twice a month to Lesotho where a portion is dirt roads. It hasn't missed a beat, I am now on 120 000km. Done the usual services, with the last one I did myself. Parts are available from dealer or spares places. I have also surprised myself and others with its 4x4 capability.

A colleague has just done Namibia in his 2020 model, also many sandy tracks and commented on its ability.

The older models I know needs new shock absorbers at around 60 000km. My son has a 2017 model that has just done 60 000km and needed new shocks. This was a bit costly but not in parts but labour.

Don't think you will be sorry with a Duster...
    Jan van Zeeventer

2014 Duster 1.5DCi
    1988 110 CSW V8
    1961 S2 SWB

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DiscoJan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by elliot86 View Post
    Hello 4x4 community!

New to the forum and to SA. Looking to purchase a 4x4 that won't break the bank, both upfront and maintenance.

It will be mainly used for day to day city driving and the occasional weekend offroad & trip to Moz, nothing too intense.

Budget is around 180k.

We've narrowed it down to the Rav4 and the Duster but are open to suggestions. How do these two compare in terms of ownership cost, reliability and offroad ability?

Thanks for the help!
    Just get the duster. That diesel motor is simply brilliant, and the entire vehicle, save for our usual brand snobbishness, is way better than the rav.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to byaru1 For This Useful Post:

Att

Friend of ours has Duster - 2 wheel drive, petrol. It is high rise vehicle and will go to places many will not get.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

Quote Originally Posted by elliot86 View Post
    Hello 4x4 community!

Budget is around 180k.

Thanks for the help!
    Between those 2 the Duster, there are plenty of very happy owners. My mom used to own a RAV, nothing particularly wrong with it, but for the money you are looking to spend the RAV will be much older and long in the tooth.

There are also plenty of full on 4x4 options on offer for that kind of money, but you will know your own requirement best.

Oh, and best thing to do is go drive a couple of each (and possibly even some out of the box options) and feel what you prefer. Car buying is a very subjective thing, you have to drive it, maintain it and pay for it, so better get something YOU like.

'12 Audi Q5 3.0 TDi quattro stock standard

'07 VW Touareg (T2) 3.0 V6 TDi (BKS), Air Suspension, Centre and Rear diff locks, DeCAT, 265-65R17 muds - Sold

'01 Jeep WJ Limited 4.7 V8 with some bits - Sold
    '83 Range Rover Classic 3dr 3.5 V8 Rust bucket - Sold

Also check the latest Carwow test of the Duster on Youtube. Duster being a great value for money option

We owned a Duster 2016 4wd and it oozes with character and I felt like its a "kannie dood nie" , I think its in its own category when you combine its strong points wrt capability, economy, space. Depending on the model the shocks are a issue but Monroe should have and they not expensive, I would not recommend replacing with OE shocks. The 1.5 diesel motor must be the strongest point for this vehicle and other manufacturers have also used them. Another strong point is the selectable 4wd system they have you can use on sealed surfaces and its basically a extra safety feature.
    Henk Stols

I was in a similar situation as well when I was looking to get a softroader with 4wd capability. I really wanted a Rav4 (i think the 2009 was the post facelift model) but the price of one with "low" mileage and the D4d engine was out of this world. I subsequently bought an '18 Duster 4WD and haven't looked back since.
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.