Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Re: What changed with Peanut Butter?

There's a few. They are normally on the 'health food' shelf and not by the regular peanut butter. Oh-mega has one. Buttanut has the biggest variety of nut butters and the Woolworths one seems quite popular, although I have never tried it. You will also find some at Dischem and most health food stores that are their house brands.

I'm a often mix two different nut butters together to get the consistency and taste I like. Some are too runny for me and others too claylike. Sometimes a bit of a more expensive one nicely smooths out a cheaper one. You may need to play around to find what you prefer.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emmie L For This Useful Post:

This is what makes my feelers go off. Why would you want to stabilize peanut butter? It's smushed nuts. If you stick it in the fridge to keep the oils from becoming rancid as rapidly as outside it is should be stable long enough to finish what you have.

So why stabilize? For shelf life. Which means less waste and more profit from a business point of view.

I end up eating dead food so that you can make an extra buck. Good thinking on your part. But no thank you from me.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emmie L For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    You see, this is where the discussion becomes interesting. Especially if we start comparing food labels. Then we enter a very complicated maze.

I googled the label for Black Cat no sugar, no salt version and compared to my WW bottle.

1. What would the 'Stabilizer' be in the Black Cat? WW version has palm fruit oil.
    2. WW version carb is 13 g compared to BC's 21 g.
    3. WW version has 5.9g of sugar/ BC has 6.1g. Not that big a difference.
    4. WW version has 6.3g of saturated fat, BC has 7.1 g. This is important to me and why I would rather opt for the WW one based on this alone. Saturated fat is bad news for cholesterol suffers.
    5. WW has 0 mg cholesterol, BC lists theirs as < 5 mg.

Attached is the Black Cat label.
    Interesting, according to the label on the jar there is zero cholesterol in BC.
    https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum....php?p=4636619
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    Interesting, according to the label on the jar there is zero cholesterol in BC.
    https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum....php?p=4636619
    The link you posted there goes to the Fatsecret (I am not familiar with it) site.

Looking at the label on Black Cat's own website gives different info. That is where my screenshot comes from.

But like you say interesting.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2021/05/11 at 12:21 PM.
    Christa
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT

BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

In the end, everyone has got their preferences. Most of us have to stick to a certain budget for food and have to compromise on some aspects.
    Ideally one would make most foods self, in case of peanut butter it would mean getting the right food processor, with a strong enough motor and gearbox.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

At the end there can only be one winner

Name:  BlackCat.JPG
Views: 58
Size:  40.4 KB

Black Cat all the way!
    GaryG

Honda Civic Type R
    - Daily Drive
    Isuzu KB 250 Xrider - Swambo
    Grand Cherokee WK2 Hemi - Sold
    4.0 XJ Jeep Cherokee - Sold

It is strange that some people is so worried about the oils, fats and 0% cholesterol. Only a few is worried about the sugar. Sugar is killing more people in a year than all the fats and oils combined.
    Last edited by EGO; 2021/05/11 at 01:08 PM.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EGO For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by EGO View Post
    It is strange that some people is so worried about the oils, fats and 0% cholesterol. Only a few is worried about the sugar. Sugar is killing more people in a year than all the fats and oils combined.
    The discussion was around the trans fat in the no sugar versions.

Quote Originally Posted by EGO View Post

I am not at all worried about the natural fats / oils - what is dangerous is the saturated fats they add as hydrogenated vegetable fats, (same crap that is in margarine) and yes, sugar is also not good at all.

Cholesterol content doesn't matter at all because we don't absorb cholesterol in food, our bodies makes its own and if you have too much of the bad one it is only a contributory factor to potential heart issues, and in many cases high cholesterol is hereditary.

I use lard (varkvet) too fry my food in, and also real butter in stead of vegetable oils.

Animal fats are actually good for you, contrary to the misinformation spewed over decades by vested interests that we should all eat high fibre high carb diets and that everything must be low fat yet high in sugar, with lots of other sugary foods (like most children grew up with breakfast cereals) and look at the results all over the world - we have an obesity pandemic, never mind this little silly flu.
    Willem

Ford Ranger 3.0Tdci Super Cab 4x4
    (workshop whore)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WAJ For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by WAJ View Post
    I am not at all worried about the natural fats / oils - what is dangerous is the saturated fats they add as hydrogenated vegetable fats, (same crap that is in margarine) and yes, sugar is also not good at all.

Cholesterol content doesn't matter at all because we don't absorb cholesterol in food, our bodies makes its own and if you have too much of the bad one it is only a contributory factor to potential heart issues, and in many cases high cholesterol is hereditary.

I use lard (varkvet) too fry my food in, and also real butter in stead of vegetable oils.

Animal fats are actually good for you, contrary to the misinformation spewed over decades by vested interests that we should all eat high fibre high carb diets and that everything must be low fat yet high in sugar, with lots of other sugary foods (like most children grew up with breakfast cereals) and look at the results all over the world - we have an obesity pandemic, never mind this little silly flu.
    I thought that was from beer? So are you telling me I should rather have beer instead of Coco Pops?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Morne - Skip For This Useful Post:

WAJ

Quote Originally Posted by Olyfboer View Post
    When I was (much) younger, opening a jar of peanut butter usually found a layer of oil on the top that had to be mixed in. This resulted in an easily spreadable goo that used to melt into hot bread like real butter does.

Today you're greeted by a sticky putty like sludge of even consistency that can be sculpted and remains like that forever, never returning to an even surface in the jar. Spreading on hot bread doesn't result in melting, it just breaks the bread up.

And this is Black Cat, the most famous brand. Anyone know what has happened?
    Hi

If you buy Checkers own brand Simple Truth peanut butter (comes from India) it has the oil that you refer to.... Plus it salt and sugar free!

It is labelled as smooth but is less refined than Black Cat etc.

David

17. The Following User Says Thank You to OceanWanderer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Morne - Skip View Post
    I thought that was from beer? So are you telling me I should rather have beer instead of Coco Pops?
    I have eaten rice crispies with beer when camping since we ran out of milk
    Willem

(workshop whore)

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WAJ For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    The link you posted there goes to the Fatsecret (I am not familiar with it) site.

Looking at the label on Black Cat's own website gives different info. That is where my screenshot comes from.

But like you say interesting.
    I guess we mus look at the main ingredient: peanuts
    https://www.nutritionvalue.org/Peanu...nal_value.html

100 g of peanuts contain 7g of saturated fats, just like the Black Cat label says. Hence I for myself still think that BC without added sugar & salt is a good choice and doesn't glow in the dark.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

21. The Following User Says Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    I guess we mus look at the main ingredient: peanuts
    https://www.nutritionvalue.org/Peanu...nal_value.html

100 g of peanuts contain 7g of saturated fats, just like the Black Cat label says. Hence I for myself still think that BC without added sugar & salt is a good choice and doesn't glow in the dark.
    Hugo,

There is a principle in the food industry that you would be very wise to keep in mind always.

Labelling in South Africa is controlled by legislation. It determines what size the writing of certain things must be. It determines that certain things must be disclosed on the label etc. But we all know that technology is changing very fast and we can hardly keep up. The legislation is always behind the curve playing catch up because it takes time to promulgate new legislation or changes in legislation.

In addition, if the legislation is silent on a particular item... not all companies will disclose it. Some because of proprietary information, some because of poor ethics. You may know what is on the label, but I promise you, you don't know what is in there that is not on the label. For example, they may mention a stabilizer but not tell you what that stabilizer is. Is it something totally harmless or some new E number that hasn't been declared an E number yet.

We all know the consumer is the last person the food industry has at heart when it comes to products. That is one of the reasons why I like to make my own staple items. What they do disclose can be bad enough when you are informed of it, it's what they may not disclose that bothers me even more. I at least have a choice within my budget regarding my options. Silence removes that choice.

Ironically, making your own is usually significantly cheaper and tastes better. So once you have made the first horrible adaptation from the convenience of shopping for it all you come to enjoy the process of making. You find a rhythm that works and it becomes a non issue. I also enjoy the control it gives me to make on demand so I have less food wastage as a smaller family.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emmie L For This Useful Post:

I must admit that I am distressed
    Here I am looking to expand my knowledge and experience relating to 4x4 stuff

and here we are discussing the relative viscosity of peanut butter

Time to move on maybe?

This is the Pub, so anything goes.

But ja went to chekkas yesterday and eventually got some swartkat peanut butter without added sugar & salt.

But there are some of these "health" type PB but its about 50% more expensive. Now I am baffled - its just got 100% peanuts as ingredients nothing else, so effectively LESS things than the others with added stuff, but way more expensive? I mean WTAF?
    Willem

(workshop whore)

Quote Originally Posted by WAJ View Post
    This is the Pub, so anything goes.

But ja went to chekkas yesterday and eventually got some swartkat peanut butter without added sugar & salt.

But there are some of these "health" type PB but its about 50% more expensive. Now I am baffled - its just got 100% peanuts as ingredients nothing else, so effectively LESS things than the others with added stuff, but way more expensive? I mean WTAF?
    The argument goes that because it doesn't have the 'bad' stuff in it the shelf life is shorter, therefore product needs to be cycled more often. In addition, ethical business practices are more expensive. Also, the distribution ability of these products are often 'niche' because the South African consumer is price driven, not quality driven like in first world countries. So the numbers never become big enough to lower prices to reasonable for a lot of these companies.

That is why there are so many poor quality products out there. It's cheap, therefore our poverty stricken country buys it. They don't have the luxury of boycotting to force manufacturers to do something about it.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emmie L For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn777 View Post
    Only one brand of peanut butter for me thanks! All natural and tastes amazing!!
    Have you tried OhMega Macadamia nut butter? Its life changing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rage View Post

I have as Shoprite here had a few jars, quite nice, but I find it too runny...

Quote Originally Posted by Rage View Post
    Where do you buy it?

I see its on take a lot
    https://www.takealot.com/ohmega-maca...g/PLID41712657
    Willem

(workshop whore)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast