Default Prado 150 VX Diesel @ 185k kms and up?

Long story short my FIL might be selling his 2010 VX Diesel for the new Prado.

My wife currently has a 2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (10th anniversary edition) as our "family" car (I only have my TJ and a Supercab Ranger work bakkie). So daily use and then trips with a baby and 2 big dogs. So we have first option on the Prado but would need to sell the JKU.

I drove the Prado for the day yesterday and it feels great. People moan about the D4D but It feels fantastic to me, and cruises effortlessly on the highway, especially compared to the Jeep.

But, 3 years older and 85k kms more mileage on the Toyota. I assume the Prado will age better than the Wrangler, but still things WILL wear out. How is the diesel at higher mileage? Any bombs to look out for?

I must admit, the Prado kinda feels newer than the Jeep when driving. Still feels really solid and very few rattles (besides the rear door which I believe is a common problem)
    Stu.
    Current:
    06 Wrangler Sahara. 3.5inch Rubicon Express and Bilstein lift, Metalcloak control arms, 1.25" RC Body Lift, 1" JKS MotorMount Lift, Zone Disconnects, BFG KM2 33's
    NO LOCKER NEEDED!!!
    KTM 1190 Adventure

Default Re: Prado 150 VX Diesel @ 185k kms and up?

Also, I'm not sure what mileage it had before my FIL got it, but it had a Dual Battery installed so clearly someone had used it a bit offroad. But he wouldve maybe seen 100m of dirt going to a private game lodge once in a while So very light, suburban duty.
    Stu.
    Current:
    06 Wrangler Sahara. 3.5inch Rubicon Express and Bilstein lift, Metalcloak control arms, 1.25" RC Body Lift, 1" JKS MotorMount Lift, Zone Disconnects, BFG KM2 33's
    NO LOCKER NEEDED!!!
    KTM 1190 Adventure

Refer to my feedback on the Wild Dog forum.
    '00 Nissan D22 QD32Ti 4x4 D/C - many, many mods.
    '10 Toyota LC150 1GR-FE VX - stock
    '10 Yamaha XT1200Z Super Ténéré - stock with some farkles
    - Our lives were governed by the Ten Commandments, good judgment, and common sense. -

Quote Originally Posted by roadhawg View Post
    But, 3 years older and 85k kms more mileage on the Toyota. I assume the Prado will age better than the Wrangler, but still things WILL wear out. How is the diesel at higher mileage? Any bombs to look out for?
    The 4d4 is a good engine. Maybe injectors at 300k km. The 3l cruise much better on the open road as the 4l. But on acceleration the 4l is a bit better.

I would go for it.
    Johan Kriel

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JLK For This Useful Post:

Well its from family so you know the vehicle and its a better family vehicle then the Rubi , prices for wrangles is good (certainly for your TJ) so see what you can get for the 2013 rubi and then decide , if its a decent price then yes, the prados as great
    Last edited by 12richardk; 2021/05/07 at 03:37 PM.
    Pajero 3.2 DID Gen 4 Standard for now
    Platcar Alfa Giulietta 1.4 MA
    Swambo Volvo S40 T5

Quote Originally Posted by roadhawg View Post
    Long story short my FIL might be selling his 2010 VX Diesel for the new Prado.

My wife currently has a 2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (10th anniversary edition) as our "family" car (I only have my TJ and a Supercab Ranger work bakkie). So daily use and then trips with a baby and 2 big dogs. So we have first option on the Prado but would need to sell the JKU.

I drove the Prado for the day yesterday and it feels great. People moan about the D4D but It feels fantastic to me, and cruises effortlessly on the highway, especially compared to the Jeep.

I must admit, the Prado kinda feels newer than the Jeep when driving. Still feels really solid and very few rattles (besides the rear door which I believe is a common problem)
    185k is nothing at that mileage. I hope the timing belt was done at 150k. D4D very solid and economic. Tailgate rattle and squeaks are annoying but can be fixed. Overall a great vehicle.

Have a look at:

1. Injectors (a Denso agent will be able to test them, cold and hot)
    2. Shocks (the VX has electronic adjustable shocks, very expensive to replace)
    3. KDDS (Have a look for leaks on them, or scan for error messages)
    4. Rear door hinge cracks
    5. Rear auto height (Check if you put a heavy load onto it if the compressor kicks in and levels itself or if it lowers overnight pointing to a leak)

Stunning vehicle, comfortable highway cruiser and reliable
    Cobus
    Land Cruiser 200 4.6
    Imagine Comfortvan

What saskia said and especially the rear shocks and KDSS system are expensive to repair.

There is also the odd cracked piston that plagues the diesel Prado. See below thread for details.

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...d.php?t=302094

"Prado 150 1KD Pistons - 120 000km Time Bomb"
    Last edited by Tom13; 2021/05/08 at 07:39 AM.
    Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 D-ID GLX LWB

Thanks guys.

Just how prevalent is the piston issue? Is there any chance of salvaging the motor if that happens?

Went to a mall parking lot (very flat) and measured now and this particular one has quite a "KDSS Lean". Drivers side is ~40mm lower than the Passenger side front and rear. On stock suspension. From memory drivers side rear ~775mm and Passenger rear ~810mm and neutral height.

Maybe this one isn;t the one to buy. Might be an idea to sell the Wrangler, put some money in and try afford a newer facelift Prado with less mileage.
    Stu.
    Current:
    NO LOCKER NEEDED!!!
    KTM 1190 Adventure

Quote Originally Posted by Tom13 View Post
    What saskia said and especially the rear shocks and KDSS system are expensive to repair.
    True. But they rarely fail.
    There is also the odd cracked piston that plagues the diesel Prado."
    "plague" not the right word to use here as this is not a common issue.

Quote Originally Posted by byaru1 View Post

I don't feel like the fancy stock shocks do anything on the "Comfort" or "Sport" settings so I'd have no hesitation replacing them with Konis or Bilsteins and keeping the stock bits in the garage for resale time.
    Stu.
    Current:
    NO LOCKER NEEDED!!!
    KTM 1190 Adventure

Have you googled "Prado cracked piston"? It is a well known fact and loads of vehicles have been affected.

Not as common as D3, D4 crank failures but hardly unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by byaru1 View Post
    Last edited by Tom13; 2021/05/09 at 02:08 PM.

Here's another thread on the same issue on this forum.

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...d.php?t=275066

Prado 150 Diesel Injector & Piston Issues
    Last edited by Tom13; 2021/05/09 at 01:14 PM.

Well, after driving the Prado since last week Wednesday, my wife got back in here Wrangler today. She Whatsapped me once she got to work: "I'm not selling this car."

So I guess that's my answer. For now the Jeep stays apparently. I'm going to extend the half size Front Runner rack to the full length to carry an Oztent and investigate a rear draw setup.
    I'll just have to ask my Toyota driving friends to carry fuel for me on trips
    Stu.
    Current:
    NO LOCKER NEEDED!!!
    KTM 1190 Adventure