Default Need ideas/photos for a kitchen in a gull wing

Hello fellow overlanders. I need some inspiration for designing the kitchen layout for a alucab canopy camper, to fit within a 1 meter wide, 700 mm high and 400 mm deep space. The space is both for the kitchen items and a pantry. I am having to do the design with most of the kitchen items unavailable, so very much a theoretical exercise. The design would be fabricated to whatever layout is determined. Photos of your kitchen that would aid in this effort are much appreciated. Here is a list of the items I have though do want to avoid this being a discussion what I am listing (and power demand etc.) and more how to arrange the kitchen to avoid wasted space. expect many items end up being nested such as bowls within pots etc. with kitchen towels used as padding etc. I think some drawers will be needed. Shelving for food containers, etc. full extension drawers to maximize the cubic volume for food containers probably necessary. Anyway, all thoughts useful I am sure. Much thanks for contributions in advance. Bud

Default Re: Need ideas/photos for a kitchen in a gull wing

Quote Originally Posted by Bud3 View Post
    Hello fellow overlanders. I need some inspiration for designing the kitchen layout for a alucab canopy camper, to fit within a 1 meter wide, 700 mm high and 400 mm deep space. The space is both for the kitchen items and a pantry. I am having to do the design with most of the kitchen items unavailable, so very much a theoretical exercise. The design would be fabricated to whatever layout is determined. Photos of your kitchen that would aid in this effort are much appreciated. Here is a list of the items I have though do want to avoid this being a discussion what I am listing (and power demand etc.) and more how to arrange the kitchen to avoid wasted space. expect many items end up being nested such as bowls within pots etc. with kitchen towels used as padding etc. I think some drawers will be needed. Shelving for food containers, etc. full extension drawers to maximize the cubic volume for food containers probably necessary. Anyway, all thoughts useful I am sure. Much thanks for contributions in advance. Bud

had a workaround to posting a info from excel table. for some reason it never works for me though it always look visible when I preview a post or edit a post.

Electric Kettle
    2 slice toaster
    Coffee grinder
    2 burner Cardac Stove
    jet boil,
    French Press
    egg fry pan with lid2
    sauce pans (1.5 and 2.5 liter)with lids higher sided sauté pan with lid2
    serving bowls (nest),3 and 5 L, lids
    3 cereal/soup bowls2 plates1 platter plate
    2 coffee/tea mugs2
    non scratch spatulas
    large fork
    large stir spoon
    meat fork
    tongs
    pot holders (2)
    2 x plastic cutting boards
    can/bottle opener
    3 forks, 3 spoons, 1 butter knife
    6 specialty knives ( bringing), 2 steak knives
    funnel refill bottles
    pasta strainer
    measure spoons set
    2 cup measure cup ( graduated)
    spice containers (6)
    olive oil container with spout
    balsamic vinegar bottle
    potato peeler
    garlic press
    3x tupperware
    aluminum foil
    sandwich baggies
    saran wrap
    knives sharpener
    collapsible dish pan
    dishsoap/sponge/wipe
    paper towel/napkins
    dish soap
    hand soap dispenser
    kitchen towels (cloth) -3
    small kitchen garbage bags
    Braai Tools long handled flipper, fork, tongs, mits, sauce brush
    Last edited by Bud3; 2021/05/08 at 09:28 PM.

Hi Bud

I think as a first pass do mark the dimensions on a work table and pack and arrange things mentioned to your liking (layout) then have your partner and co travelers also comment on it, consider at least most versus lest used and height of reach as two parameters in making things comfortable to use.

Dave

Beat-up rat rod of a '96 Nissan Patrol that bears the evidence of many wonderful adventures (and a few stupid indiscretions).

A couple photos of our kitchen setup, which is modified from the Bushlore 'stock' arrangement.

Key features/changes:
    -Alu-cab prep table. Stores on the inside of the canopy door/gullwing when not in use. Which means you don't have to haul out the big table just to make tea/coffee sandwiches. One of our best improvements. Not cheap, but worth it for us.
    -Note the hanging utensil holder. Very often you see a roll of cutlery/utensils, but this always means you need a place to set it down somewhere, and inevitably it gets dirty. I have seen ones that hang on the back door that are very nice, if you kitchen is in the back of the canopy.
    -Not shown, but a cheap folding wind shield for the cooker is key. Otherwise it can take ages to boil water. We didn't have one for our trip up to Kenya, and a few times it took forever to cook.
    -You can't see it well, but the green water hose has magnets on the base of the spigot. We store the hose/spigot inside, where it's clean-ish, and then it magnets onto the rear fender below the fridge when needed.
    -Pardon the mess in photo 2!
    -The only pan/pot that doesn't fit in there is the cast iron dutch oven. This means less getting into the back drawers

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Land Cruiser Kitchen-2.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	452.3 KB 
ID:	618061
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Land Cruiser Kitchen.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	618062
    Blog of our African travels: stuckinlowgear.com