Default Age of buying a place in a retirement village

I am not all that fond of retirement village living. It is a bit "Who is the next". However it is something have to be looked at. Waiting lists to get into either by buying, renting or to get living rights seems to be long in well managed places - years. I have to consider the fact that I have no family here. Single older person needs people checking. In old age home they have that.

As I sold my house I decided to look at buying into a retirement village. Many do not sell if you do not move in. SWAMBO found out that https://www.kruinpark-retirement-village.co.za/
    has units and flats that are sold and owner is allowed to rent out. Majority of the place is owned by CR's wife. SWAMBO asked if something comes for sale please call. Estate agent called out of the blue and two days later I have accepted offer for a one bedroom flat. Investment but at the same time safety net for one of us. There is a separate frail care. R16 000.00 to R18 000.00 per person per month.

We asked what is the age to move in. Not over 80 as people are stuck to their own places. 75 apparently is a good age.

Any comments on the issue appreciated.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

Default Re: Age of buying a place in a retirement village

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko View Post
    I am not all that fond of retirement village living. It is a bit "Who is the next". However it is something have to be looked at. Waiting lists to get into either by buying, renting or to get living rights seems to be long in well managed places - years. I have to consider the fact that I have no family here. Single older person needs people checking. In old age home they have that.

As I sold my house I decided to look at buying into a retirement village. Many do not sell if you do not move in. SWAMBO found out that https://www.kruinpark-retirement-village.co.za/
    has units and flats that are sold and owner is allowed to rent out. Majority of the place is owned by CR's wife. SWAMBO asked if something comes for sale please call. Estate agent called out of the blue and two days later I have accepted offer for a one bedroom flat. Investment but at the same time safety net for one of us. There is a separate frail care. R16 000.00 to R18 000.00 per person per month.

We asked what is the age to move in. Not over 80 as people are stuck to their own places. 75 apparently is a good age.

Any comments on the issue appreciated.
    We bought a unit last yesr and are renting it out until we are ready to move in. They all people from the age of 50 and above to move in. It's not a bd spot as it's lockup and go, so will suit us well in the future for our trips, which we have not had for a while. There are plenty of 60 year olds there, plus a few in their 50's, so not for the aged only . R16-18k for frail care is on the lower end of the scale.

We took the decision to buy in when the opportunity arose because of the long waiting queues in many retirement villages. Just have to sort out a place to park the camper
    Mike Lauterbach

Provisionally I have decided to cancel the idea of buying a townhouse for rental and I will start looking for a 2 bedroom unit in a good retirement village that allows renting out. Better to have a place where there are people under 65 so the "death rate" is less = less depressing.

Yeah. Those places do not allow parking of a caravan, 3 cars.... Have to scale town but not the caravan and the towing vehicle = 2 cars minimum. If need be I will have a driver to take me around until dead. Not cheap places. R1 to R2 milj range minimum.

All comments appreciated.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart

Nice places here in Panorama. Can park caravan and 2 cars at most of them.
    Top class security.
    All amenities.
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Ford Figo 2016

I believe some real bargains available at the moment.
    . Many old people passed away due to Covid and also those who are OK do not want to move at this time so empty places are not selling quickly.

Good luck.
    Zerubbabel 2 the 2008 4.8 turbo Patrol with some kit
    Nothing, not even a mighty mountain, will stand in Zerubbabelís way! (Zech 4:7)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mal Hannes For This Useful Post:

PM the place/s please.
    Quote Originally Posted by duncang View Post
    Nice places here in Panorama. Can park caravan and 2 cars at most of them.
    Top class security.
    All amenities.
    Last edited by Jouko; 2021/05/08 at 07:51 PM.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart

https://fb.watch/5mzHpkGVHl/

Farhills Manor seems very good.
    Zerubbabel 2 the 2008 4.8 turbo Patrol with some kit
    Nothing, not even a mighty mountain, will stand in Zerubbabelís way! (Zech 4:7)

Panorama Estate Swanevelder ave Rangeview Krugersdorp
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Ford Figo 2016

10. The Following User Says Thank You to duncang For This Useful Post:

Thanks but I will never buy anything that is half finished, off plans, without history, new. Too risky. Sandton is expensive. West Rand is cheaper - minimal "nose in the sky" premium. Short distance but generally big price differences.

When buying property and especially retirement person must be very careful:
    - When
    - Where
    - What is the risk

In my books place must be "live", hospitals close, shops close, secure, frail care, no golf course, no snob value, everything built... I do not like to move my residence far from where I have lived over 30 years. People move to "coast". They do not know anybody there. It takes years to get friendly.

My problem is when. SWAMBO is older and that has to be counted in. The big issue is availability. I did look some places. Some do not even have proper roads, open to "no build areas", only few places built... Nuts to buy from such place. Maybe when the buyer is in (young) nappies.

All opinions and comments are appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Hannes View Post
    https://fb.watch/5mzHpkGVHl/

Farhills Manor seems very good.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart

Hmmm, this is a very very difficult one for most people. Let me try for what it is worth.
    We moved from PE to George 4 mnths before the LD when I was 67 and a month into retirement . After working in PE for more than 30 yrs.
    Why not PE? Here in our retirement complex ( do you notice I'm not using that old age home word?) we have a frail care unit, assisted living quarters, bed sitters, small units with one garage and larger units with up to 3 bedrooms and double garages. We have 2 cars plus caravan.
    I will try at the end to load a pic taken from our front stoep.We live close to each other, but not in neighbors' pockets.
    Biggest problem for most people is getting rid of some earthly possessions. Before coming here we lived in a townhouse complex for 7 yrs. That prepped us for community living.
    Are people dying left right and center around us? Certainly not.
    But we are in a situation where we can decide overnight to pack the caravan, leave a key with a neighbor and go away for a month. Garden is looked after by complex.
    If you get ill, there is care available, plus meals delivered.
    Buying a unit and renting it out " till we need it" : remember that you cannot just chuck your tenant out, especially an older person. You may have control over most of your life, but you have no control over your health. A simple fall and broken hip for either of you at your age can be quite a game changer, ask me.
    Also consider human nature: if you move into a retirement complex when still healthy and active, you will make friends around you. Move in when in a wheelchair or bedridden and people don't fall over themselves to meet you. If you moved in earlier, the friends made will still visit.
    Both my wife and I feel that this is the best thing that we could have done. We have friends, are not a burden for children when ill and have active and full lives.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Drik Hoskin

Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD6 4x4
    RAV4 VX
    Armadillo Shack caravan
    Silverback Sesta Comp 29er

13. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Drik For This Useful Post:

As julle begin dink om so n aftree oord in te trek op relatiewe jonger ouderdom (meestel op aandrang van jou vrou), oorweeg om n stoor/workshop/unit in n komersiele deel van dorp ook by te koop. Iets relatief naby aan die ouetehuis waar jy bly.

Dan het jy stoorplek vir jou karavaan en 4x4.
    Rig dit verder so in met n workshop waar jy jou gekose hobby kan doen.
    Maak n hoek met n binnebraai, tv, leer bank, kombuisie en badkamer, en n bed vir middagslapie. Met ander woorde, n proper man cave. Jy is afgetree, jy gaan baiectyd daar spandeer. Of anders gaan jy kripeer in die ouetehuis.

Nou kan jy die gemak van aftreeoord hÍ, maar nog steeds die tipe leefstyl handhaaf wat die oord hou ontneem.
    Jy kan jou vriende daar onthaal, julle kan torring daar aan whatever jul stokperdjies mag wees. N lekker bar. As jy iets gedrink het, los jou kar waarmee jy gekom het net daar, uber ouetehuis toe terug.

Moet nie gaan kripeer en heel dag by die 1 slaapkamer flat dit met knie kombersie oor bene nie.
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

15. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Reenen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Reenen View Post
    As julle begin dink om so n aftree oord in te trek op relatiewe jonger ouderdom (meestel op aandrang van jou vrou), oorweeg om n stoor/workshop/unit in n komersiele deel van dorp ook by te koop. Iets relatief naby aan die ouetehuis waar jy bly.

Maak n hoek met n binnebraai, tv, leer bank, kombuisie en badkamer, en n bed vir middagslapie. Met ander woorde, n proper man cave. Jy is afgetree, jy gaan baiectyd daar spandeer. Of anders gaan jy kripeer in die ouetehuis.

Nou kan jy die gemak van aftreeoord hÍ, maar nog steeds die tipe leefstyl handhaaf wat die oord hou ontneem.
    Jy kan jou vriende daar onthaal, julle kan torring daar aan whatever jul stokperdjies mag wees. N lekker bar. As jy iets gedrink het, los jou kar waarmee jy gekom het net daar, uber ouetehuis toe terug.

Moet nie gaan kripeer en heel dag by die 1 slaapkamer flat dit met knie kombersie oor bene nie.
    Ek hou van die manier hoe jy dink

Come to think of it, why wait for retirement, this idea is so good one should do it TODAY!

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DJR For This Useful Post:

Nou het jy my laat skrik Reenen. Aftree planne in die asblik gegooi en n trippie Botswana toe begin plan.
    Last edited by Gungets Tuft; 2021/05/09 at 07:36 AM.

Yup me and Swambo are down in George/ Mosselbay area looking for something in this range but the prices can be horrendous. For what I can get for my house in Gangster Province I can find half the size down here. When started looking last year when to go see I in Pretoria. Virtually couldn't swing a cat in it but want 5 bar for it. I need something as said in previous thread with double garage so I can tinker. To sit and do nothing kills a person. Need to stay active. Eish the hunt is relentless.

Quote Originally Posted by HannoK View Post
    Ek hou van die manier hoe jy dink
    Hanno, waar in Malopo is jy?

Ek was net voor die paasnaweek vir 4 dae in VergeleŽ by Dries en Inge Esterhuysen. Dries en Carel is mos die eienaars van die NWK daar. Sommer ook vir 'n dag vir Koos vd Berg op sy plaas gaan kuier. Ek en Koos was in 69 en 70 saan in st 7 & 8 in Vryburg op skool, voor my pa Vereeniging toe verplaas was.

Daarna by ander pelle vir die paasnaweek naby Coetzersdam.

PS

Ek is nou 67, weet nie of ek sommer maklik in 'n seniors kompleks sal kan lewe nie.

My wife retires I just under 3 years and then we will move to somewhere in the Western Cape. Not too small a town neither a city. Near decent shops, hardware and has decent indy workshop or two.

That place in George looks fantastic and I really like Reenen's idea. I have a lots of w/shop type stuff, an off-road trailer, 4 4x4s (of which the Pathfinder is my daily drive) and SWAMBO's Tazz. I realize I will have to get rid of the one 4x4 though.

I kind of went through this move thing 6 months ago when I sold my house and was looking for a place to rent in the interim. I had garage garage for 7 cars and a 3x6 workshop, plus a 3 car carport. I really battled to find a place with the required parking and a place to store my stuff from 7 garages. Eventually to a place with a 2000sgm garden a double garage a two maids/store rooms, but had to get rid of a ton of stuff.

I however would like to be nearer the Penninsula, as stated in my signature below, mainly due to the reason that I have a brother in Strand, a brother who owns a wine farm just outside Stellenbosch (on the Eersterivier) and a brother-in-law who will be retiring in Hermanus at the same time we want to move down. He is SWAMBO'S twin.
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2021/05/09 at 08:21 AM.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired 2013 but remained in Jhb area for now, maybe will look at moving WC way, Robertson or Wellington type of town, once the wife retires.
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (with front Lokka) - My Platkar...
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL with front Lokka (Use it mainly for Safari business)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (with 160 H/Moon Stargazer RTT and 100 lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari 2.8 Station wagon with 5 speed conversion,
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle).
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

Quote Originally Posted by mvcoller View Post
    Hanno, waar in Malopo is jy?

Ek was net voor die paasnaweek vir 4 dae in VergeleŽ by Dries en Inge. Dries en Carel is mos die eienaars van die NWK daar. Sommer ook vir 'n dag vir Koos vd Berg op sy plaas gaan kuier. Ek en Koos was in 69 en 70 saan in st 7 & 8 in Vryburg op skool, voor my pa Vereeniging toe verplaas was.

Daarna by ander pelle vir die paasnaweek naby Coetzersdam.

PS

Ek is nou 67, weet nie of ek sommer maklik in 'n seniors kompleks sal kan lewe nie.

My wife retires I just under 3 years and then we will move to somewhere in the Western Cape. Not too small a town neither a city. Near decent shops, hardware and has decent indy workshop or two.

That place in George looks fantastic and I really like Reenen's idea.

I however would like to be nearer the Penninsula, as stated in my signature below, mainly due to the reason that I have a brother in Strand, a brother who owns a wine farm just outside Stellenbosch (on the Eersterivier) and a brother-in-law who will be retiring in Hermanus at the same time we want to move down. He is SWAMBO'S twin.
    Teslaarsdal.... halfpad tussen Caledon en Hermanus. Dan het jy alles wat n stad bied, binne 25km van jou...

Of Greyton. 70 van hermanus, 80 van strand, 90 van Stellenbosh...

Default Age of buying a place in a retirement village

Teslaarsdal.... halfpad tussen Caledon en Hermanus. Dan het jy alles wat n stad bied, binne 25km van jou...

Of Greyton. 70 van hermanus, 80 van strand, 90 van Stellenbosh...
    Greyton is die hele dorp elkgeval n ďretirement village ď...
    Last edited by Reenen; 2021/05/09 at 08:11 AM.

I have looked at various options and come to a conclusion there is not one solution. People have different requirements. In our case we have a good house with nice garden. It simply doesn't make sense to sell and move to a "similar" place in a retirement village and then move again when place gets too much to maintain. My CURRENT preference is to stay put and buy 2 bedroom place with SMALL garden, garages in a well looked after place with option to move to a frail care or even a flat. Buy a place and rent out. Have money to sort out ods and ends and most probably the kitchen.

I honestly do not want to retire sand paper in one hand and paint brush in the other (coast). We will go there the right time of the year - rent a place or use a van.

I have looked for investment reasons townhouses and now these retirement places. I am point blank horrified with the kitchen designs and design in general of the bigger houses. There have to be a place for dishwasher, washing machine, tumble drier and fridge/freezer preferably two separate units. Some designers think that it is a good idea for a retired person to do hand washing or have long distance to walk to get to a dishwasher and in the worst case wash clothes by hand. Town houses are no better. R2 milj house has 4 garages but washing machine has to be in a bathroom and dishwasher is far away from where it should be. Looks like people have 4 plates, 2 pots, minimal food... One place after an other.

Old kitchen designs were for a helper. Today kitchen/laundry have to be efficient to use by the owners without any help what so ever.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart