Question Trying to understand the Internet??

I'm having issues with the stream I use. It has quite a bit of buffering, sometimes unwatchable!
    So I have changed to a new app to watch it with, and while it is heaps better, there is still buffering! It will be either a momentary stagger in the motion, or a minute pause in the sound track. On the very odd occasion it will buffer for 2-3 seconds then go on for some times he entire night without doing it again.
    Now this happens on the entire stream, live TV, VOD, and series.
    To me and my lack of knowledge of IT related things, surely if it is my IP giving poor service, it should affect ALL my internet based activity? Youtube, NetFlix both work perfectly, never a hiccup. As do all the tablets/phones in whatever they are being used for.
    I run a Vuma 20 up and down line, and my speed test shows 19.47 down and 19,75 up, with a ping of 2ms? And these tests were conducted in conjunction with the IP.
    My neighbours who are all running the same Vuma lines, have absolutely no problems?
    HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Mark Backler
    09 Kyron, the Korean Snail.
    NO Meeow!
    Blanked EGR.
    Thermo Electric Cooling fan.

Default Re: Trying to understand the Internet??

Performance can be largely dependent on your streaming service upstream. I.E. If they are struggling, so are you
    My speelding: 2012 VW Amarok 2.0 TDI
    Vrou se speelding: Astra OuPC

Thumbs up Re: Trying to understand the Internet??

Quote Originally Posted by jeepman85 View Post
    Performance can be largely dependent on your streaming service upstream. I.E. If they are struggling, so are you
    Hi and thanks, that is exactly what I have been saying, but the stream provider says NO, it's my ISP
    Mark Backler
    09 Kyron, the Korean Snail.
    NO Meeow!
    Blanked EGR.
    Thermo Electric Cooling fan.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Markb For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Markb View Post
    I'm having issues with the stream I use. It has quite a bit of buffering, sometimes unwatchable!
    So I have changed to a new app to watch it with, and while it is heaps better, there is still buffering! It will be either a momentary stagger in the motion, or a minute pause in the sound track. On the very odd occasion it will buffer for 2-3 seconds then go on for some times he entire night without doing it again.
    Now this happens on the entire stream, live TV, VOD, and series.
    To me and my lack of knowledge of IT related things, surely if it is my IP giving poor service, it should affect ALL my internet based activity? Youtube, NetFlix both work perfectly, never a hiccup. As do all the tablets/phones in whatever they are being used for.
    I run a Vuma 20 up and down line, and my speed test shows 19.47 down and 19,75 up, with a ping of 2ms? And these tests were conducted in conjunction with the IP.
    My neighbours who are all running the same Vuma lines, have absolutely no problems?
    HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    What stream provider are you talking about here?

You mention you changed the app to watch it on, so are there two official apps for said streaming service?

Sometimes traffic is shaped to allow preference to browsing and reduced speeds for things like torrents ect. But most ISP's these days do not throttle or shape.

If the likes of Youtube and Netflix stream ok on high settings (your line should be able to handle 4k), then I would say the problem is not with the ISP, but rather the streaming provider.
    Those speed test are fine.
    My ryding: 'n Ding met 4 rubber sirkels en n enjin wat nou en dan aangedryf word met al 4 sirkels

6. The Following User Says Thank You to IcePick88 For This Useful Post:

On the streaming service app go to settings and change the server if the provider has this option. Mostly they do not have. Sometimes change helps. There are always channels that do give issues but mostly they do work.

We changed all TV boxes to LAN cable connections. Better. Worth to try.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jouko For This Useful Post:

ISPs prioritise certain traffic

Your node may be overloaded when you are struggling.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MariusFourie For This Useful Post:

Use a VPN. Your ISP then can't "see" what sort of data it transfers and hence won't throttle it.
    If the problem persists, it's not the ISP. If the problem is solved by using a VPN, then you know whom to talk to.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Are you using a android tv box?
    At home I have 2 different brands of android box, one works "perfectly" and the other one regularly has buffering issues.
    2009 Suzuki GV 3.2
    ex : 2010 Suzuki GV 2.4 M/T
    ex : 2007 Audi A4 2.0T - RS4 rear suspension

We did this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko View Post
    On the streaming service app go to settings and change the server if the provider has this option. Mostly they do not have. Sometimes change helps. There are always channels that do give issues but mostly they do work.

We changed all TV boxes to LAN cable connections. Better. Worth to try.

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Default Trying to understand the Internet??

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Dold View Post
    We did this as well.
    Sorry - just an obvious possible thing here - how many devices do you have linked to your wifi. Our 20/20 line buffers when 3-4 devices connect and stream. Maybe consider disconnecting all phones from your wifi and try again to see if the buffering is less.

Maybe you have a cell phone app or something running in the background eating data.

Maybe it could be a simple thing to rule out.
    Last edited by Therackermann; 2021/05/07 at 08:08 PM.

Hi and thanks, that is exactly what I have been saying, but the stream provider says NO, it's my ISP
    Ja, now call your ISP and they will swear on a stack of Bibles it's the Stream Provider's fault......

It's a BS story, they pass the ball to the other side to avoid having to deal with the issue.
    Cheers,
    John Kilfoil

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

There are very broadly three factors involved:

The streaming source/provider
    Your ISP (and to some extent your local network)
    Your display device

Because the problem occurs with multiple source providers it looks unlikely to be the problem
    The up and down speed tests show the ISP and link are good.
    I suspect you may be using older equipment, laptop of PC, and the device is unable to handle compressed video.

Test this by downloading a youtube video and playing it from your local machine. If it's skipping frames or buffering, you can be sure it is your device.

I have some older machines that choke up on modern video codecs. Same symptoms you describe.
    "The problem with internet quotes is that they are very often unverified."
    -Abraham Lincoln

17. The Following User Says Thank You to MarcR For This Useful Post: