Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: Warning - Hyena inside Lower Sabie camp

Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    Same with monkeys, a man made problem.
    I wish I could find the people who started feeding the monkeys In 2018 at Maroela campsite they were impossible!! While unpacking the car they would run next to you/between your legs and jump in the car then get all aggressive because now you're in the door and they feel trapped. I did however notice they ran away from me but ran after and were aggressive to my wife.

At the end of the day you can't really be upset with the animal as it's learned behaviour from others feeding them and then they learn where that source is.
    2018 Suzuki Jimny - Expedition vehicle
    2002 Land Rover Defender - Daily Drive

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sheldon93 For This Useful Post:

One thing that I have noticed, all the places where the monkeys were a pest there were none in sight. A off spin of Covid ?

Quote Originally Posted by supersunbird View Post
    Someone claimed to have seen one hyena one night when I was there 6 to 10 April, it had grabbed a small cooler box (those 6 pack bottles sized one) and had dropped it when the guy shouted. I saw the cooler, dad some puncture marks from teeth on the sides.
    Did he squeal.

Quote Originally Posted by New View Post
    Lol.... was waiting for that...

Privileged that I get along well with the in-laws.
    You only say this because she is a member here.
    What's her forum name again?
    Willie Knoetze

2019 Nissan NP300 2.5tdi d/c 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon93 View Post
    I wish I could find the people who started feeding the monkeys In 2018 at Maroela campsite they were impossible!! While unpacking the car they would run next to you/between your legs and jump in the car then get all aggressive because now you're in the door and they feel trapped. I did however notice they ran away from me but ran after and were aggressive to my wife.

At the end of the day you can't really be upset with the animal as it's learned behaviour from others feeding them and then they learn where that source is.
    The worst I saw with monkeys was at Crystal Springs, there they know people book in on a Monday and out on the Friday, so they were most active at those times. When booking out one of us had to stand in the chalet, another at the vehicle and then the other people had to carry all the bags etc. up and down. If you left your vehicle with canopy open and unattended they would steel something, same with the chalet. During the week we had to keep the sliding glass door closed and locked, if you sat in the morning with your coffee and rusks and they saw you, they charged at the glass door and tried to open it even turning the handle. When they eventually realized the door can't be opened, they would take a sh^t right there in front of the door or on the table.

I believe the only way to solve this for good is to eliminate the entire troop of monkeys all at once from the biggest alfa male to the smallest baby otherwise they'll simply just learn from the others again and the cycle will continue.
    "The problems we have today is because the guys who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." - Magnus Heystek

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bigboy529 For This Useful Post:

The worst I saw with monkeys was at Crystal Springs, there they know people book in on a Monday and out on the Friday, so they were most active at those times. When booking out one of us had to stand in the chalet, another at the vehicle and then the other people had to carry all the bags etc. up and down. If you left your vehicle with canopy open and unattended they would steel something, same with the chalet. During the week we had to keep the sliding glass door closed and locked, if you sat in the morning with your coffee and rusks and they saw you, they charged at the glass door and tried to open it even turning the handle. When they eventually realized the door can't be opened, they would take a sh^t right there in front of the door or on the table.

I believe the only way to solve this for good is to eliminate the entire troop of monkeys all at once from the biggest alfa male to the smallest baby otherwise they'll simply just learn from the others again and the cycle will continue.
    I know this is extreme but deep down I agree. They will shoot a leopard minding its own business because of POTENTIAL threat. However, monkeys/baboons which pose a current and actual threat are just left to be
    2018 Suzuki Jimny - Expedition vehicle
    2002 Land Rover Defender - Daily Drive

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sheldon93 For This Useful Post:

The assumption is being made that the leopard that was shot was minding its own business? Do we know that?

I have seen an esteemed wildlife expert feed spaghetti bolognese to hyenas at the fence in Skukuza. Its not just ignorant members of the public that do it. Also saw parents allow their child to feed them through the fence at another camp

I know this is extreme but deep down I agree. They will shoot a leopard minding its own business because of POTENTIAL threat. However, monkeys/baboons which pose a current and actual threat are just left to be

I often heard from camps in reserves in Botswana who has huge monkey problems that nature conservation simply doesn't give them permission to shoot the monkeys no matter how much they ask. One guy once told us that nature conservation will give permission to shoot a problem hyena or elephant much easier than permission to shoot monkeys and if they give permission, they say ok you can shoot 5 monkeys or whatever, but that doesn't solve the problem, if you shoot the alfa male another will simply take over.
    "The problems we have today is because the guys who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." - Magnus Heystek

We also had some extremely annoying monkeys when we camped at Weavers roost a while ago. Some oom took out his kettie and they seem to know exactly what that thing does, so I did the same. I honestly wished it was a .22 with a scope though.
    Willie Knoetze

2019 Nissan NP300 2.5tdi d/c 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Half-Pint View Post
    Pete has been going to Kruger every year for 168 years, he has his own lions in the park AND he knows the first born children of every field ranger who has worked there since 1820.

Please don't argue with him, you know nothing
    I also find this disrespectful, if only for his age have some respect. Peter puts himself out for ridicule with a lot of his posts this time he is economical with the real facts. I have been an honorary ranger and vice chair of our region for long enough to know a lot of people and have access to knowledge that even Peter does not know.
    Fact of the matter is most camps have their resident leopard, some camps like berg en dal have more incidents than others. A camper was dragged out of his tent by the head a few years ago while sleeping with the doors open and his head outside.
    On another occasion a camper heard a sniffing outside his tent and thinking it was a dog let fly with a huge punch catching the animal outside square on, the leopard retaliated and a trip to Nelspruit was on the cards.
    A few moths ago a leopard that was harassing the cleaning staff was shot just next to the filling station, this is one camp.

A visitor in Satara photographed a leopard in the camp and complained at reception, a capture crew with cage and impala as bait was dispatched with huge theatricals and people was warned to keep away from the area. Next morning the leopard was in the cage snarling and hissing, the head ranger noted that the leopard on the photo was a female and the one in the cage was a male....

What about the youngster that was pulled from the caravan tent and lost an eye after his uncle heard the shuffle outside the caravan.

I can carry on with stories like this from most camps but just based on this you need to be pretty naïve to think that there are no leopards or predators in camp. I will not have any of my friends move around camp after it has quieted down it is just too dangerous. Invest in a porta potty or make a plan but avoid moving around camp if it has come to rest

Unfortunately they are in the hospitality industry as well and any wild animal that has come in to contact or has lost its fear of humans is unfortunately euthanized. Besides tourists the staff travel by foot or bicycles and their safety is important however shooting is really the last resort, rangers get to know and name the animals in their area and shooting is an emotional issue to them
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to hbannink For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hbannink View Post
    I also find this disrespectful, if only for his age have some respect. Peter puts himself out for ridicule with a lot of his posts this time he is economical with the real facts. I have been an honorary ranger and vice chair of our region for long enough to know a lot of people and have access to knowledge that even Peter does not know.
    Fact of the matter is most camps have their resident leopard, some camps like berg en dal have more incidents than others. A camper was dragged out of his tent by the head a few years ago while sleeping with the doors open and his head outside.
    On another occasion a camper heard a sniffing outside his tent and thinking it was a dog let fly with a huge punch catching the animal outside square on, the leopard retaliated and a trip to Nelspruit was on the cards.
    A few moths ago a leopard that was harassing the cleaning staff was shot just next to the filling station, this is one camp.

A visitor in Satara photographed a leopard in the camp and complained at reception, a capture crew with cage and impala as bait was dispatched with huge theatricals and people was warned to keep away from the area. Next morning the leopard was in the cage snarling and hissing, the head ranger noted that the leopard on the photo was a female and the one in the cage was a male....

What about the youngster that was pulled from the caravan tent and lost an eye after his uncle heard the shuffle outside the caravan.

I can carry on with stories like this from most camps but just based on this you need to be pretty naïve to think that there are no leopards or predators in camp. I will not have any of my friends move around camp after it has quieted down it is just too dangerous. Invest in a porta potty or make a plan but avoid moving around camp if it has come to rest

Unfortunately they are in the hospitality industry as well and any wild animal that has come in to contact or has lost its fear of humans is unfortunately euthanized. Besides tourists the staff travel by foot or bicycles and their safety is important however shooting is really the last resort, rangers get to know and name the animals in their area and shooting is an emotional issue to them

By the sounds of it Kruger is more dangerous than some unfenced camps.
    I think part of the problem is commercialization of these places, it gets advertised like a petting zoo, with all the amenities etc. etc. etc. I think people tend to sometimes forget that they are after all in the wild surrounded by wild animals.

... just on the effectiveness of camp fences as barriers to wild animals etc ...
    I stayed at one wilderness camp where the rangers etc told us they purposely leave the gates open so the elephants come through the gate to feed instead of breaking the fences / gates down each time ...
    ... if the gates are open anything can amble in.
    Anything.
    So at night Im very careful and cautious !
    Last edited by BushNomad; 2021/05/07 at 05:57 PM.
    ... Land Rover Owners dont idle long ...

2002 Defender 130 DC HCPU. :
    Own the road... Any road ...
    ‘1981 R-Rvr Classic 2-Dr 3.5L V8 :
    The Greatest Rover.
    ‘1975 Series3 88 PUP :
    Simply ... Classic ...
    ‘2017 Metalian Mini ...
    A Home from Home

* The Monarch of the Glen *http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...1&d=1507751251

Quote Originally Posted by hbannink View Post
    Come on Henk you know my post was not based on a single post from Peter but rather his persistent condescending know it all posts.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Half-Pint For This Useful Post:

Well moving on from hyenas has anyone had problems with the Kruger Honey Badgers?
    Campers from the forum in Kruger recently had to retreat rapidly away their braai amid aggressive Ratels.
    The Ratels come into camp to raid the dustbins and on this occasion there was a whole family.
    It was pretty nerve wracking by all accounts!

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Dold For This Useful Post:

And back to Hyenas ..... a 7 year-old's ear was bitten off in the Tuli Bloc a few years ago.

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Dold View Post
    ..... has anyone had problems with the Kruger Honey Badgers?
    Yes Paul on a couple of occasions. In Tambotie camp one night when walking by, I sidetracked to lift up a tumbled rubbish drum and fell flat onto my back with shock when a hissing ratel almost ran right over me. All I could think of was their mythical reputation for going straight for the groin under threat.

Then in Talamati my swaer and I were braaing from the low grids they had at the time, when we were threatened by a pair of ratels intent on taking the chops right off the grid. Luckily he was quicker thinking than me and a brandished flaming log from the fire eventually saw them off.

Real pocket rockets!
    Stanley Weakley.
    Toyota Landcruiser 76SW 4,2L diesel.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

The Tamboti Badgers are well known, they are not shy anymore and will often challenge you for your braai meat while it is still on the braai. They have been captured a few times and relocated to other areas and showed their homing skills. Some of them have also been taken on that permanent journey. In.my book this is a tragedy waiting to happen, one day is one day when a lady or youngster defends their braai and things go too far.

Speaking of Tamboti it also has a resident mrs spots in the camp.

Elephant do not care about gates and are clever enough to push younger ones in to the electrical fences to flatten them. In punda during the Marula season fences are flattened on a regular basis, every one knows forbidden fruit are the best, well there are a few nice big marula trees inside camp with much sweeter fruit than the outside ones
    Last edited by hbannink; 2021/05/07 at 11:43 PM.
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hbannink For This Useful Post:

Come on Henk you know my post was not based on a single post from Peter but rather his persistent condescending know it all posts.
    You know there is an ignore function?

A WK, XJ and a Ducati...

"Stil, broers,daar gaan ‘n man verby, hy groet, en dis verlaas.
    Daar’s nog maar een soos hy; bekyk hom goed."

Ignore yes.
    But not necessary to be nasty!

There is an excellent book called "A Game Ranger Remembers" by Bruce Bryden, in the book he discusses the difficulties with human animal interactions in Kruger from a practical and commercial perspective. I highly recommend the book for anyone who enjoys Kruger
    Bruce and I grew up together in Jhb and rowed against him at school level year after year. He was Ranger at Croc Bridge then Shingwedzi and finally Chief Ranger based at Skukuza.. We used to love going to his House out in the bush about 5 Kms south of Shingwedzi .. Once atrrived there and the farm gate had been left open .. We were chatting with his wife Helen waiting for Bruce to arrive for lunch in the lounge when we spied the elephant at the Pool. Bruce duly arrived and calmly chased out the Ellie and closed the gate and straightened the fallen Lemon tree. Bruce often chatted to me in his office at Skukuza and I enjoyed listening in on his Monday 8am call in to each of the 22 section Rangers in the Park for their weekly Reports.. Sad that he had to leave and succumb to Malaria in Mozambique on a fishing trip with his mates.. In the early days the Honorary Rangers used to get a Red Flag at the entry gate and sign a register there and often the gate didnt have any. Bruce always had one spare in his Office Desk drawer for me in the days when there was no uniform and only a smattering of appointees for Kruger only. There were no branches then..Loved those time and miss Bruce my old childhood mate. I cant help my Life Experiences Half Pint and make no apologies for them either
    Last edited by Peter Betts; 2021/05/08 at 09:24 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast