Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: Warning - Hyena inside Lower Sabie camp

One night a few jears ago, my mother in law also met a big dark coloured animal at midnight on her way to the bathrooms in Lower Sabie Camp.

She were scared to death and were almost certain it was a hyena. Should teach her a lessen about walking to the ablutions at night without a torch.

A day or two later, I notice the contents of a dustbin strewn nex to it, early one morning.

It was unmistakably caused by a scavenging animal. Did a closer inspection and could clearly identify the hyena tracks at the scene.

A lady in the shalet closed by, still in her night gown, notice me studying the scene and ask me what had happened. At first she would not beleave me that it was a hyena util I showed her the tracks. You should have seen her face when she realised it happened next to her chalet in camp.

On reporting the intecedent to camp reception, they just mention that the hyenas do enter the camp from time to time at night, savaging around.

So it seams that this is not such an uncommon occurrence as one might think.
    Last edited by Viertrek; 2021/05/08 at 02:48 PM.
    Lourens Goosen

When in a game park or in our cottage next to Dinokeng I assume:
    - scorpions
    - snakes
    - baboons
    - monkies
    - meercats
    - 2 legged stealers

Hyena can be added to the list. You just have to make basic provisions for them. Close up, no food outside or visible food...

Closest I have been to a fox was in London. Under one meter.

I hate people who feed anything listed above. We have those around us.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

Thanks guys for all the posts. I am sure a lot of us will be more awake in Kruger.

How about a short few points on how to behave/do when confronted by these wild animals roaming the camps.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ekkekan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ekkekan View Post
    Thanks guys for all the posts. I am sure a lot of us will be more awake in Kruger.

How about a short few points on how to behave/do when confronted by these wild animals roaming the camps.
    Make sure you have friends that run slower than you.

A WK, XJ and a Ducati...

"Stil, broers,daar gaan ‘n man verby, hy groet, en dis verlaas.
    Daar’s nog maar een soos hy; bekyk hom goed."

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rainier Vermaak For This Useful Post:

If the hyena approaches while you are braaing, switch from basting the meat to basting the MIL.
    1995 300tdi Defender 110 "Ouboet"
    2018 Renault Duster 1.5dci 4x4

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to K Marshall For This Useful Post:

Thanks for all the warnings on Tamboti.

We will hopefully be it Tamboti for a few nights in about a months time.

Will be cautious and not try to move around outside the tent at night.
    Lourens Goosen

We (family) are just back from Mpila - no hyena, one quite brazen bush pig but not aggressive at all. Maybe covid and Ezimvelo have reduced hyena numbers? Seen plenty in times gone by. Obviously plenty in Bots. I have seen every dangerous animal when walking in the bush except leopard and cheetah. I have had an attempted robbery by a two legs in a unit in Tendele at night.

I have stayed at Tamboti and seen honey badger and civet, definitely not aggressive. Croc bridge and jakkalbessie (before privatisation) we've seen hyena along the fence, all a few years ago at least. Nothing in the camps we stayed at over December.

My view, be careful always, particularly at night but plenty injuries (even deaths) from buck and warthog. Bots; consider driving to ablutions at night. I am happy to take my chances rather than rely on ongoing eradication of animals in the camps. I may consider an exception for monkeys and baboons and troublesome two legs

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mudgrubber For This Useful Post:

Firstly a couple steps sideways and then backwards. If you start stepping backwards right away you'll step in your own sh&t.

Will be interesting to hear from the experts what to do with animals like hyenas and ratels. I know for example with lions you must stand your ground and slowly but surely step back until you reach safety, I heard a story once where someone was confronted by a lion and it took him almost 30 minutes to slowly move back to the safety of his vehicle which was around 10m away, take a step and wait to see what he does, another step and wait, just like a game of chess.
    With elephants on the other hand you must run and climb, if you try to stand your ground you are toast, though I know there are also rangers experienced enough to know when it is only a mock charge or when that ellie is really pissed off.
    "The problems we have today is because the guys who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." - Magnus Heystek

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bigboy529 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    Firstly a couple steps sideways and then backwards. If you start stepping backwards right away you'll step in your own sh&t.

Will be interesting to hear from the experts what to do with animals like hyenas and ratels. I know for example with lions you must stand your ground and slowly but surely step back until you reach safety, I heard a story once where someone was confronted by a lion and it took him almost 30 minutes to slowly move back to the safety of his vehicle which was around 10m away, take a step and wait to see what he does, another step and wait, just like a game of chess.
    With elephants on the other hand you must run and climb, if you try to stand your ground you are toast, though I know there are also rangers experienced enough to know when it is only a mock charge or when that ellie is really pissed off.
    Hahaha, you owe me a fresh beer, the last one went up my nose.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Gungets Tuft For This Useful Post:

About two years ago I walked towards a waterhole (not Kruger) with car packed at 7am - we were leaving and I
    wanted to just take one last look.

Suddenly four lions cut diagonally across me. I froze remembering the bush advice about not running and wondered what would happen next. Luckily they headed direct to the water hole. They had killed the night before and were thirsty. Heads down they gorged themselves on water.

Then it was time to consider Plan B - do I slowly retreat or remain still. I decided that if they wanted to charge they could reach me in around two seconds 40 - 80m away. So I stood stock still. A few very anxious minutes passed and they finished drinking and headed in single file around the waterhole and moved away from me.

An incredible experience being in the open with the big cats.
    Last edited by Paul Dold; 2021/05/09 at 08:04 PM.

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Dold For This Useful Post:

Use the word VOETSEK, as someone has mentioned in a previous post here, very loud and in the most disrespectful and abusive way as you can make it sound.

Repeat as much as you have to, if nessesary.

Strange how many animals understand this afrikaans word originally meant to chase off dogs. It works especially well on lion.

It is the Boer version of the word "F...off".
    Last edited by Viertrek; 2021/05/15 at 02:15 PM.
    Lourens Goosen

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Viertrek For This Useful Post:

I hear that if you spray pepper at a hyena's feet they may retreat.
    A camper at SwartPan a while back had a very aggressive hyena and the pepper spray worked.
    He did not spray the face as he did not want to hurt the animal.
    Last edited by Paul Dold; 2021/05/09 at 08:22 PM.

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

I know what steps I would take.....BIG ones.
    My ryding: 'n Ding met 4 rubber sirkels en n enjin wat nou en dan aangedryf word met al 4 sirkels

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IcePick88 For This Useful Post:

Most of the camp hyenas are scavengers and won't do be aggressive if you stand your ground. Watch out for the kids, teach them to stay close to the campsite once the camp quietens down at night.

I'm far more worried about malaria and scorpions than hyenas to be honest.

I've camped unfenced many times in Botswana and every night you have hyenas in the shadows just beyond the light watching while you Braai. They follow you discreetly to the ablutions as well. We ignore them mostly, being far more on the lookout for leopards, lions and elephants that join you for a Braai like your in-laws (unwelcome) 😂

24. The Following User Says Thank You to brendantdp For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Dold View Post
    I hear that if you spray pepper at a hyena's feet they may retreat.
    A camper at SwartPan a while back had a very aggressive hyena and the pepper spray worked.
    He did not spray the face as he did not want to hurt the animal.
    A friend who works with big predators joined us on a trip to Kgalagadi (Bots side) and Swartpan. On his recommendation we always had pepper spray on hand. But the first rule is try and stay calm, react calmly and cautiously. DON'T RUN, if you do you trigger a natural instinct in predators to chase!
    “A wise man understands, an intelligent man knows, but a fool pretends to know.”

Luka Geertsema

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luka For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Betts View Post
    There are Hyenas in Most camps every night < A Fence is a False sense of Security. I saw a Leopard jump over the Grid at the main Gate at Lower Sabie at 3pm in the afternoon and it was never found . Hyenas only have a reputation of harming Humans when asleeep and all Incidents that I know of with Hyenas in Kruger have been sleepers apart from the idiot who let his 3 yr old daughter put her hand through the fence at a Human taught begging Hyena at Balule one afternoon .>> You are in more danger of living in Hoedspruit and getting a fatal bite from a Malaria Mozzie than saying Hi to a Hyena on the way to the loo at night>. Leopards come into Camp most Nights in camps like Tamboti etc > Having said that I have never camped at Lower Sabie since they Moved the camp 30 years ago to its present position >> Zero Bush Atmosphere and way too crowded on the roads
    I camped at Lower Sabie last year October, and a couple of hyena wandered around camp, even moving between the tents . One took of with my enclosed litter bin, never to be found. I am also worried about small children going to the ablutions at night.......dangerous!
    Toyota Prado 150 TX 2012
    Conqueror Comfort

The fences are there to keep the humans in, not the animals out.

29. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RobH For This Useful Post:

I always carry a knife.......not for the animal, but to stab my mate in his leg so he runs slower than me.
    Errol Cornelius

Citroen C5
    Touareg V8
    Audi A6 3.0 Avant

Quote Originally Posted by Half-Pint View Post
    Pete has been going to Kruger every year for 168 years, he has his own lions in the park AND he knows the first born children of every field ranger who has worked there since 1820.

Please don't argue with him, you know nothing
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Betts View Post
    Bruce and I grew up together in Jhb and rowed against him at school level year after year. He was Ranger at Croc Bridge then Shingwedzi and finally Chief Ranger based at Skukuza.. We used to love going to his House out in the bush about 5 Kms south of Shingwedzi .. Once atrrived there and the farm gate had been left open .. We were chatting with his wife Helen waiting for Bruce to arrive for lunch in the lounge when we spied the elephant at the Pool. Bruce duly arrived and calmly chased out the Ellie and closed the gate and straightened the fallen Lemon tree. Bruce often chatted to me in his office at Skukuza and I enjoyed listening in on his Monday 8am call in to each of the 22 section Rangers in the Park for their weekly Reports.. Sad that he had to leave and succumb to Malaria in Mozambique on a fishing trip with his mates.. In the early days the Honorary Rangers used to get a Red Flag at the entry gate and sign a register there and often the gate didnt have any. Bruce always had one spare in his Office Desk drawer for me in the days when there was no uniform and only a smattering of appointees for Kruger only. There were no branches then..Loved those time and miss Bruce my old childhood mate. I cant help my Life Experiences Half Pint and make no apologies for them either

Well well... seems we all owe Halfpint an apology. He was right. Uncle Betts does know all the rangers!
    Sarel
    "Grent" Vitara
    EX- EL JIMBO - RED AND "FAST" 8)

32. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to New For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Luka View Post
    A friend who works with big predators joined us on a trip to Kgalagadi (Bots side) and Swartpan. On his recommendation we always had pepper spray on hand. But the first rule is try and stay calm, react calmly and cautiously. DON'T RUN, if you do you trigger a natural instinct in predators to chase!

Problem is I'll probably stuff it up, spray to early or too late, negatively effecting myself more than the animal or just pissing off the animal even further.
    "The problems we have today is because the guys who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." - Magnus Heystek

34. The Following User Says Thank You to bigboy529 For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast